Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Pollyanna posted:

So I just found the best thing ever: a bunch of the AA5 characters as Fire Emblem units. :getin:

Linked for possible spoilers (I'm covering my rear end, ok):

http://imgur.com/a/2OzmB
I only looked at the first couple since I'm still on case 2, but dear god that is absolutely amazing :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Case 5 Day 1 Investigation: Jesus, I didn't realize how much I missed Maya. Though the moment was kind of spoiled by the letter being read to Trucy's theme and not Turnabout Sisters.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Waffleman_ posted:

Case 5 Day 1 Investigation: Jesus, I didn't realize how much I missed Maya. Though the moment was kind of spoiled by the letter being read to Trucy's theme and not Turnabout Sisters.

Not to mention all these amateurs eating noodles after cases instead of burgers. :smith:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
So lots of us utterly blitzed this game, fast enough that at least for me a lot of it all blends together in a mess of joy, but are there any standout little moments for you guys? I mean really little moments.

Case 3: There's a moment late in the case where, as you're working out for sure that he's the culprit, Means smiles his horrifying smile and it does the dramatic BAM sound effect as the sprite changes. Creepy.

Case 4: Starbuck: "Begin the countdown! Five!" and then Apollo, Athena, the Judge and the whole gallery complete the countdown. Apollo even points. It was heartwarming and hilarious.

Case 5: When Apollo's doubting Athena and ruining the last trial, instead of any suspense music or a Fate track, his theme kicks in. That upbeat little piano version of his objection. That just hammered home what was happening.

Also in case 5, Nick and Edgeworth go to Trucy's magic shows together, and the Judge wants to come too :3:

Really, really pleased with this game overall. It's at least on par with AA1 for me.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
The Red Line moments are just plain awesome for me, though there was a small but kinda cool detail in I think... case 1?

Basically, the point about forcing a smile comes up (I think), and Athena responds appropriately... but you can see Widget is in sad face mode, because its forced and all. Thought it was neat.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Suspicious Cook posted:

Not to mention all these amateurs eating noodles after cases instead of burgers. :smith:

It was always noodles in the Japanese version. The localization team kind of backed themselves into a corner when the fourth game came around.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Strange Quark posted:

It was always noodles in the Japanese version. The localization team kind of backed themselves into a corner when the fourth game came around.

Yeah, but Eldoon wasn't even in this one. At least Maya was still promised burgers, even if they do have to be delivered to the top of a mountain. :unsmith:

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

eating only apples posted:

So lots of us utterly blitzed this game, fast enough that at least for me a lot of it all blends together in a mess of joy, but are there any standout little moments for you guys? I mean really little moments.

Case 3: There's a moment late in the case where, as you're working out for sure that he's the culprit, Means smiles his horrifying smile and it does the dramatic BAM sound effect as the sprite changes. Creepy.

Case 4: Starbuck: "Begin the countdown! Five!" and then Apollo, Athena, the Judge and the whole gallery complete the countdown. Apollo even points. It was heartwarming and hilarious.

Case 5: When Apollo's doubting Athena and ruining the last trial, instead of any suspense music or a Fate track, his theme kicks in. That upbeat little piano version of his objection. That just hammered home what was happening.

Also in case 5, Nick and Edgeworth go to Trucy's magic shows together, and the Judge wants to come too :3:

Really, really pleased with this game overall. It's at least on par with AA1 for me.

For me, it was case 2 when Blackquill made a speech about one last showdown and Apollo went into the new logic minigame for that red line thingy. The new minigame/music plus the fact it happened immediately after Blackquill had challenged Apollo to finish the case right there felt really perfect to me.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Case 5: Pearl's animations :kimchi: Also, Fulbright taking off into the air using his spy gadget and Phoenix yelling HOLD IT had me laughing for a nice while.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Case 4: The judge asking if the witness was a ghost and Blackquill just loving with him and saying yes. :allears:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Case 3: Scuttlebutt insults Athena, who goes "How dare you insult my partner!" and he goes "Welp, I should object to this, but I'll just take this one for the team."
Apollo's seriously the best goddamn dude in this game.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I think if I could hit up a bar with any game character, I'd go with Apollo. The dude is just a straight up bro.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
This game really did Apollo justice. He's so much more fleshed-out and even badass at points.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's true. It's amazing how Apollo manages to have more character in the game advertised around Phoenix coming back then in his own game, but welp, here we are.

(I'm in Case 5 right now, and it's so good.)

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Cake Attack posted:

It's true. It's amazing how Apollo manages to have more character in the game advertised around Phoenix coming back then in his own game, but welp, here we are.

He's just repaying the favor from AA4: Phoenix Wright's Extra-legal Adventures - also featuring Apollo Justice. :v:

But seriously, Apollo is awesome and probably my favorite part of the game thus far. (Day 2 investigation of Case 3)

Artix fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 28, 2013

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This game is definitely "Apollo Justice 2", rather than "Phoenix Wright 4" in terms of characters.

As Artix says though, AA4 had quite a lot of Wright characterisation, so maybe we can call that Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney the 4th Phoenix game and PWAA:DD the 1st Apollo game

Or maybe I can shut up, I think that would work!

He's far and away the most improved character for a sequel I can think of though, I actually really like him now as opposed to not caring.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

I love how excited about being lawyers Apollo and Athena are together, especially together in Case 3. They're just so psyched about presenting evidence and flashing their badges! :3:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Case 5 culprit spoilers: All those moments where you're alone with Fulbright are creepy as gently caress now, gotta say.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Basically, after Apollo Justice, I didn't want Apollo Justice 2, but after Apollo Justice 2, I want Apollo Justice 3.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Astro Nut posted:

The Red Line moments are just plain awesome for me, though there was a small but kinda cool detail in I think... case 1?

Basically, the point about forcing a smile comes up (I think), and Athena responds appropriately... but you can see Widget is in sad face mode, because its forced and all. Thought it was neat.

In Act 5 the Fullbright reveal. I was not expecting that at all and enjoyed his character so having him be the villain was a total surprise and really well executed

That and the end of Act 3. If you don't like the breakdown in that case you hate good things.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Case 3's breakdown is easily in the top tier of AA breakdowns, and possibly #1. It's absolutely perfect.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
This is the weirdest thing, but I'm on case three and can't help but see Themis Academy's symbol as the one from Crusader Kings II that indicates kinslaying. I makes playing through it kinda...strange at times.

Also ditto the Apollo love here. He had it in him all this time, it just needed the right circumstances to come on out. :unsmith:

And I think someone said it earlier, but Blackquill really is the right balance between being an intimidating adversary and a complete and utter dork. It's great :allears: I can't help but imagine him commanding the communal prison TV to watch old timey samurai movies now.

Arbitrary Coin fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 28, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Terper posted:

Basically, after Apollo Justice, I didn't want Apollo Justice 2, but after Apollo Justice 2, I want Apollo Justice 3.

The more I play of this game the more I can't stop making Raiden parallels for Apollo. In both characters' first games they basically had someone else pulling the strings and telling them what to do the whole time, and nobody was particularly keen on either character. The next appearance (which would be this game's case 1) for each has them being a bit more serious and matured (for their series at least, which isn't saying a lot), but still more or less also-rans. Then Revengeance happens (which I assume would be the later cases in this game that I haven't gotten to yet) and things get so goofy and over the top that people become desperate to get more of them. And all throughout this the characters remain more or less the same goobers they always were.

Capcom and Kojima, please make a MGS/Ace Attorney crossover. I don't care how.

vvvv Edgeworth gets possessed by the cravat of Manfred von Karma, the judge is revealed to be an AI, and Franziska grows extra arms to hold more whips (which are all made out of more arms). Maya saves your game.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 28, 2013

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Apollo defends Raiden in court.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

Apollo defends Raiden in court.

Objection! <Rules of Nature starts blasting> But the weapon found at the crimescene had human blood on it!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Austrian mook posted:

Apollo defends Raiden Ocelot in court.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Actually if you've ever wanted Ryu to mess up an Ace Attorney courtoom find an old copy of Harvey Birdman the Video Game. Its basically Phoenix Wright: Gaiden and the closest were likely to get to defending the blue bomber from this false accusation.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The Apollo/Raiden crossover basically already exists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na5i80ihzwc

lyrics posted:

No matter what blade you wield
If you follow your own path to justice
(Path to justice)
The brutal truth will be revealed
:eyepop:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It'd be every prosecutor and attorney allied against him trying to get the charges to stick and he'd still weasel his way out.

"We have your prints on the murder weapon!"
"I've been wearing false fingertips!"

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I just droppped in to say I honestly think I liked Case 3 the most in this game and that's loving insane. An Ace Attorney Case 3 that actually has a relatively decent plotline with good characters is pretty crazy and I think I probably am in the minority liking them but oh well.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Thinking about it, every other Case 3 has been pretty solid in my opinion. 1-3 gave us Will Powers, the Steel Samurai and Edgeworth being helpful whilst still being an antagonist, and 3-3 gave us Warehouse Tiger in the form of Furio Tigre: Phony Attorney.

I dunno why Case 3's got the reputation of being completely, irredeemably awful but I suppose when 2-3's the circus case and 4-3 has the dumbest premise mixed with a video that plays forever, it's going to happen eventually.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, this may very well be the best Case 3 since AA1. Seriously, the breakdown alone is entirely worth it. Kind of dampened by all of the 'pink' puns right before, but eh well. :v:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

3 out of 5 case 3's are great, 2-3 and 4-3 just gave the others a bad reputation they don't deserve.

Though I guess if you include AAI as well... then it's an even split with this new game.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Regy Rusty posted:

3 out of 5 case 3's are great, 2-3 and 4-3 just gave the others a bad reputation they don't deserve.

Though I guess if you include AAI as well... then it's an even split with this new game.

In AAI2 you get to (case 3 minor spoiler)play as Gregory Edgeworth

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't think AAI's case 3 is necessarily bad, it's just unspectacular.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
The issue of the Case 3 dilemma largely comes down to how the Ace Attorney games are structured. The first is obviously a tutorial, and then the second is the first 'real' case, where the players meet a lot of the major characters, including their rivals for the game. Case four (and expanding into five as that became the later standard) is where the overall plot of the game comes together, and so naturally gets a lot of focus.

Case 3 then is typically relegated to the position of being the most standalone case, and thus has the most weight on its shoulders to stand on its own without relying on the rest of the game to prop it up. Sometimes it falls short, sometimes it soars.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I thought he was supposed to be like a bloodthirsty gladiator, considering his "normal" personality is a Roman/Greek/etc. philosopher.

His breakdown form certainly reminds me of Ares.

Austrian mook posted:

Case 3 trial 1 Wait, we have a trans character in a game? I... :stare: I did not expect that. Let's hope they can tackle this with class? Right? Oh... Oh... :smith:

I know, right? Although technically she's not trans, she still works well as an allegory for it. Robin's alright, I like her, but her character was kinda ham-fistedly executed. Hopefully she'll get more character development in a future game, just cause I wanna redeem her character.

I don't take it as an attack on me. It's not really meant to be malicious in any way, and doesn't really pass judgment on anything. It's just kinda badly executed.

Austrian mook posted:

Holy poo poo I hate Scuttlebutt.

You take that back :mad:

booksnake posted:

Endgame spoilerchat. (as noted in the quote)

This is a cool theory. But I'm not sure I'd give them that much credit. I think part of what the writers were trying to go for was that you were supposed to feel betrayed by Fulbright, who seemed to be your idiotic, but well-meaning ally for four cases (an entire year to the characters) - and who instead is this nebulous stranger. Because you never see his face, but you're can recognize him still as the individual who you met, but constantly deceived you. The revelation that he was the culprit at the same time Phoenix realizes it in the plot blindsided me nicely, in this respect, but it did end up feeling rather ridiculous once you actually start questioning him, because he's not consistently an rear end in a top hat in trial and they don't push the emotional damage he's caused enough (Apollo gets some lines about 'he killed Clay for this?' and that's about it).

But the part I see expressed in this thread that I really agree with, is that they gave up on the kind of emotional breakdown all Phoenix Wright villains do when you beat them (which is such a satisfying part of the series) by not having his Bobby Fulbright face be his actual face. Giving him the whole 'my soul is empty' sacrificed too much of his established character (and therefore the "betrayal" aspect of the player's involvement), when really, the menace of "the phantom" character is supposed to be that he is a cold bastard who kills and manipulates without remorse. If he had stayed Bobby the whole time, contrasting his previous constant talk of justice with an unmasked cruelty, you know you would've loved taking that sucker down.

But hey, the Wright-Apollo-Athena-all-at-the-bench combo owned, as a capstone to the earlier sequence where Athena was proven beyond both her own and Apollo's doubts, so yeah, maybe the phantom did work to make the personal journeys of the protagonists that much sweeter. I know I love this game for at least that.

Superstring posted:

More endgame spoilerchat:

It's true that the last case is much more about the Phoenix, Apollo, Athena, and Blackquill than the villain, but I think there's more going on there. The reason the phantom didn't have a true face (or even a proper noun for a name, in in-game speech 'phantom' isn't capitalized) is because he's basically set up to be the physical embodiment of the 'dark age of the law.' The phantom exemplifies the by any means necessary themes the protagonists are against. But also, I think the writers were also sensitive to how the fans didn't take kindly to the idea of Phoenix losing his attorney's license through forged evidence back in AJ. It's deliberate that the phantom's last false face is that of Phoenix himself. With all the talk of that trial putting an end to the dark age of the law, it felt like to me the writers were making up for what was seen as a mistake in the development of Phoenix's character and putting that mess away once and for all.

All good and valid points. I suppose there's one thing I can say for the phantom: his lack of identity makes it easy to read into his existence and make it seem better than it actually is. :v:

I was also expecting at some point that maybe, just maybe, the phantom was actually a robot or cyborg. That would explain the lack of identity and emotions. I then thought about Ponco and Clonco - they had emotions and an identity, so that wouldn't work. But they did say other nations were trying to spy on Japanifornia and (I assume) steal their technology, so it wouldn't be odd that they'd send an inferior (to Ponco and Clonco) robot assassin to steal everything.

I'm just glad we can theorycraft a lot over his purpose. It's nice :3:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

This game really did Apollo justice.

die

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Pollyanna posted:

You take that back :mad:
Did you catch what was on her laptop screen whenever she dropped it? :allears: You can see it (case 3 spoilers) here if you want. It gets mentioned sorta, though I figured Athena was just divining that from the fact that she just kept following the three of them around, but nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

maketakunai posted:

Did you catch what was on her laptop screen whenever she dropped it? :allears: You can see it (case 3 spoilers) here if you want. It gets mentioned sorta, though I figured Athena was just divining that from the fact that she just kept following the three of them around, but nope.

Awww :3: Scuttlebutt's seriously one of my favorite AA characters. Just her name invokes such a powerful image.

• Locked thread