Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So I just got started with Case 5, and drat is Phoenix laying down the :iceburn:

"'We don't give in to the likes of terrorists! We must protect our country's honor!' It was quite a moving speech, actually."

:objection: "('Moving'? Really? Maybe if you're easily inspired by political talking points...)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Chaltab posted:

Say does anybody have the text of that? I sort of missed the first part and the text-log was going hawyire when I tried to check it.

There is a chapter select for each episode, so you can just skip straight to it.
I quickly dug it up anyway. Here you go:

Big chapter 5 spoilers coming up
Hey, Nick! It's been a while, huh? Miss me?
(I know this handwriting!)
I read somewhere that you were holding a trial in the middle of an exploding courtroom? That must've really been something, although weird is par for the course with you.
(I think she, or whatever paper she's reading is a little off on the details...)
I'd love to come visit, but I'm right in the middle of a difficult part in my training. So instead, think of me as you watch those Steel Samurai videos I sent. I'm sure they'll cheer you right up! ... Yours truly, Maya Fey.
(Good ol' Maya. It's as if she knew I was feeling down and needed a lift.)

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
It's sort of hard to believe that this game is ten years after the first game. Case 5 is ten years almost to the day since Turnabout Goodbyes. Couldn't help thinking about that when Edgeworth showed. I'm surprised he didn't mention it.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Aurain posted:

This game is definitely "Apollo Justice 2", rather than "Phoenix Wright 4" in terms of characters.

As Artix says though, AA4 had quite a lot of Wright characterisation, so maybe we can call that Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney the 4th Phoenix game and PWAA:DD the 1st Apollo game

Or maybe I can shut up, I think that would work!

He's far and away the most improved character for a sequel I can think of though, I actually really like him now as opposed to not caring.

I completely agree, as someone who mostly forgets AA4 and has only played to the end of the first case, Apollo definitely has a lot more personality and already feels like his own character rather than simply "Not Phoenix Wright".

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
So, I just wrapped up my playthrough.

The choice to keep a continuous plot thread throughout all five cases was interesting. The monster of the week element has always been one of the stronger parts of the Ace Attorney games, so at times I thought it dragged a bit.

Until case five, when everything the game has been setting up all game long comes crashing down. Dual Destinies Case 5 ranks up there with all of the other top cases in the series, like AA1-4 and 5, AA2-4 and AA3-5.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Got through it this morning and was very pleased with the game as a whole but from the second I met Fulbright I knew something was up He just seemed too weird and emotional, even by AA standards. I just constantly felt like he was going to stab me in the back as I played... Sure enough he did. That and I really missed Gumshoe and Skye and the introduction of a new detective really soured me when we had two great ones to choose from

On a plot point error... How in the blue hell did Athena not smell a fake like him a mile away. He can fake emotions yes but he was shown to not fluctuate them all the time. That is such a glaring oversight in such an awesome game

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Spiffster posted:

On a plot point error... How in the blue hell did Athena not smell a fake like him a mile away. He can fake emotions yes but he was shown to not fluctuate them all the time. That is such a glaring oversight in such an awesome game

I think at one point, someone (probably Fulbright himself) mentioned that he felt no fear regarding Blackquill's barehanded Iaijutsu techniques. That one might be reaching a bit but hey, it's a bit of neat foreshadowing. Besides, until that point, what reason did they have for trying to identify Phantom? Only Blackquill was privy to the knowledge of Phantom's psychological profile and again, no reason to suspect Fulbright of anything.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
So I literally stayed up to finish this game, because holy hell did the final case have me gripped. It played with formula, paid homage to the old whilst building on the new, and... Gah, it was so beautiful.

And then came the smooth jazz :allears:

I had some misgivings about Fulbright early on, but I kinda figured it was just a side effect of the advertising, since he seemed to be basically the enthusiastic, but still semi-competent cop, as a contrast to both Ema and Gumshoe. Then when he actually got cooperative, those misgivings came back.Then came the bomb fragments photo. And my jaw dropped.

So yeah, credit where its due. Capcom made a drat fine game.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
(Case 3 Day 1)I love how ridiculously corrupt Themis Academy is. Like, holy poo poo, it's just flat out evil-corrupt. Like, if Hitler were to run a law school, it would be Themis Academy.

CommonSensei
Apr 3, 2011

Astro Nut posted:

You know, we need to seriously sit down and compile a list of the references this game makes. Some of them are so brilliant.

And I say this because I just caught the Sailor Moon one.

Part way through Case 5: It might have been just me but when someone was referring to the spy in disguise when talking through one of the scenarios, the angle shown while wearing the mask made him look like a Team Fortress 2 Spy with a cutout mask.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Spiffster posted:

Why would Athena ever need to analyze him before he was suspected?

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
I thought her ability being passive and merely enhanced by the Mood Matrix was a plot point.

Regalingualius posted:

I remember seeing Athena saying something to the effect of "Don't stop me now, Apollo. I'm having a good time!" in one of Case 3's trial segments. :neckbeard:

Oh come on, there's a much more appropriate video to link to.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I kinda wanna reread the story that map is based on. I remember it being pretty dang good, and I wonder if it holds up.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mennonites Revenge posted:

I thought her ability being passive and merely enhanced by the Mood Matrix was a plot point.
Apollo's bracelet is a plot point too and he doesn't bring up the times Athena made his bracelet react to the knife in case 4 until case 5-2. I'm sure Athena would have thought it weird that Fullbright's hamminess was all for show, but the psych profile was not revealed until the final case, so there'd have been nothing for her to do with that information.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

Apollo's bracelet is a plot point too and he doesn't bring up the times Athena made his bracelet react to the knife in case 4 until case 5-2. I'm sure Athena would have thought it weird that Fullbright's hamminess was all for show, but the psych profile was not revealed until the final case, so there'd have been nothing for her to do with that information.
Note that at no point during the entire space station plot, that is cases one, four and five, do you directly control Apollo. There is no period of time when you see into his mind, and thus no period of time where he could possibly have been an unreliable narrator regarding his suspicions about Athena. I thought that was pretty neat.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

JT Jag posted:

Note that at no point during the entire space station plot, that is cases one, four and five, do you directly control Apollo. There is no period of time when you see into his mind, and thus no period of time where he could possibly have been an unreliable narrator regarding his suspicions about Athena. I thought that was pretty neat.

What do you mean by that? Like during the investigations? Because I clearly remember him being Starbuck's first lawyer before the courtroom got blown up.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

ChaosArgate posted:

What do you mean by that? Like during the investigations? Because I clearly remember him being Starbuck's first lawyer before the courtroom got blown up.
case 5 Yeah, he already had the eyepatch by the time he was running Starbuck's case, and if I recall correctly, the reason he had the eyepatch in the first place is so his ability wouldn't be triggering every time he looked at Athena.

Funnily enough, Apollo's suspicion of Athena was important in locking up Tonate, since he wouldn't've had the bandage that was run over by the bomb cart otherwise. :v:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ChaosArgate posted:

Yeah, I thought the whole refusal to comment on his eye patch at the beginning of case 4 was actually some pretty good setup for the whole arc.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Just beat Case 1 and I just love how they go back to the ol' bullshit holdover of fine Mr. Wright, you just proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was physically impossible for your client to even come close to committing the crime but now you have to find who did it or gently caress you and your client.
Feels like I'm home again :allears:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh, I can't believe how no one mentioned that during the credits Payne ends up getting put under investigation and Edgeworth has basically moved on to ducking the salaries of his underling prosecutors now. :allears:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Oh, I can't believe how no one mentioned that during the credits Payne ends up getting put under investigation and Edgeworth has basically moved on to ducking the salaries of his underling prosecutors now. :allears:

Speaking of, it gets hard to take the alleged rivalry between him Phoenix seriously when we hear Phoenix is inviting him to see his adopted daughter's magic shows and he's actually going. :allears:

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Entire series (including AA5) spoiler question: So the "dark age of the law" started partly because :siren: a prosecutor was found guilty for murder :siren:, but.. Manfred? Godot? I, uh, how are these different?

Calaveron posted:

What's that? You've proved that Killerman is the true culprit, laid out the exact positions of every single person involved in the case at every point in time, have multiple witnesses backing up your story, and have shown that every piece of evidence the prosecution has against your client is either fabricated or not applicable.. but you didn't get Killerman's motive exactly right? Well then, Mr. Wright, looks like your client is GUILTY. Court is adjourned!

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 29, 2013

CommonSensei
Apr 3, 2011

Calaveron posted:

I felt this way once Candice Arme, an officer on bomb detail, manifested in the story.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

CommonSensei posted:

I felt this way once Candice Arme, an officer on bomb detail, manifested in the story.

Oh my god. Candice Arme. I just got the pun.

Can Disarm

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

maketakunai posted:

Entire series (including AA5) spoiler question: So the "dark age of the law" started partly because :siren: a prosecutor was found guilty for murder :siren:, but.. Manfred? Godot? I, uh, how are these different?
The difference is Blackquill was publicly and obviously railroaded through the legal system despite being clearly covering for something, and this came just a year after the famous defense attorney Phoenix Wright was disbarred for the falsification of evidence. Also note that even the other big scandals like Von Karma and Gant occurred just a couple years before Phoenix was disbarred, and you could see how the railroading of Blackquill was less sufficient cause itself and more the straw that broke the camel's back.

You know especially with this game's meditation on people not trusting the legal system, it kind of stands out that there isn't a single ethnic minority in the game aside from Case 2 but that doesn't count, because you know why.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chaltab posted:

You know especially with this game's meditation on people not trusting the legal system, it kind of stands out that there isn't a single ethnic minority in the game aside from Case 2 but that doesn't count, because you know why.

Keep in mind Phoenix Wright originally takes place in Japan, where the population is 98.5% ethnically Japanese. :v:

That's pretty much the reason for the lack of other ethnicities.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Chaltab posted:

You know especially with this game's meditation on people not trusting the legal system, it kind of stands out that there isn't a single ethnic minority in the game

Well, the original version IS set in one of the most ethnically homogenous regions on the planet, so...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Well Manicured Man posted:

Oh my god. Candice Arme. I just got the pun.

Can Disarm
I couldn't help but feel that this game had less puns than usual, but after this revelation I may have just missed some of them.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

eating only apples posted:

It's sort of hard to believe that this game is ten years after the first game. Case 5 is ten years almost to the day since Turnabout Goodbyes. Couldn't help thinking about that when Edgeworth showed. I'm surprised he didn't mention it.

You know what's crazier? The original release of AA1 was twelve years ago.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Chaltab posted:

It's probably more that Japan isn't exactly that racially diverse of a country, but yeah.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Case 3 spoilers

Literally the lowest point of the series in my eyes. I liked things about it--Myriam Scuttlebutt was a great character, I loved how utterly benign Hugh's secret ended up being, and I thought that witness breakdown was funny. But none of it was worth the utter bullshit I had to wade through to get there. The whole statue-posing thing at the end felt like an insult to my intelligence, and came off more like some writer's weird bondage fetish rearing its head. There HAS to have been a better way to illustrate that point.

I think on the whole, it just had NOTHING. I disliked that Case 2 revealed the murderer straight-up on me in the beginning, but it kept the intrigue going with the "how" and "why" of it. I was interested in figuring it out, and I liked the characters. Even the infamous circus case--I hated everyone in it but I at least wanted to figure it out. There's been cases where I just want to get it over with and move on, but case 3 in this game is the first time I've ever just wanted to completely skip a chapter outright. I just didn't care.

It was so obvious that Means was the killer from the moment he ran his mouth about THE ENDS JUSTIFYING THE MEANS. In other cases in the series there's been moments where you're ahead of the characters, but in this case it felt like everyone was really, really dumb. I guess the difference was--I didn't feel like I was "ahead" of the characters so much as I felt like the characters were "behind". In previous games they would set you up to solve things better than the character by giving you, the player, knowledge that the characters didn't have, so that way the characters could be oblivious to the truth but you could solve things. Case 2 did this, even! But, In case 3 I had a picture of Means in my folder, right there on the campus, with a timestamp and everything, proving that he was at least there for part of the 6-8pm timeframe of the death, but no one thought to bring it up until AFTER freaking out about having "nothing" on Means.

I'm sure the game gets better after this, because the first two cases were so good. But Case 3 just drained so much out of me with how completely awful it was in every, single regard.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

JT Jag posted:

I couldn't help but feel that this game had less puns than usual, but after this revelation I may have just missed some of them.

I always took Bobby Fulbright to be a pun on the British police officer's old nickname 'Bobbies', but yeah.

Part of me not getting Candice Arme was that I assumed it was French or something and was trying to read it 'Ar-May'

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

nerdbot posted:

Case 3 spoilers

Literally the lowest point of the series in my eyes. I liked things about it--Myriam Scuttlebutt was a great character, I loved how utterly benign Hugh's secret ended up being, and I thought that witness breakdown was funny. But none of it was worth the utter bullshit I had to wade through to get there. The whole statue-posing thing at the end felt like an insult to my intelligence, and came off more like some writer's weird bondage fetish rearing its head. There HAS to have been a better way to illustrate that point.

I think on the whole, it just had NOTHING. I disliked that Case 2 revealed the murderer straight-up on me in the beginning, but it kept the intrigue going with the "how" and "why" of it. I was interested in figuring it out, and I liked the characters. Even the infamous circus case--I hated everyone in it but I at least wanted to figure it out. There's been cases where I just want to get it over with and move on, but case 3 in this game is the first time I've ever just wanted to completely skip a chapter outright. I just didn't care.

It was so obvious that Means was the killer from the moment he ran his mouth about THE ENDS JUSTIFYING THE MEANS. In other cases in the series there's been moments where you're ahead of the characters, but in this case it felt like everyone was really, really dumb. I guess the difference was--I didn't feel like I was "ahead" of the characters so much as I felt like the characters were "behind". In previous games they would set you up to solve things better than the character by giving you, the player, knowledge that the characters didn't have, so that way the characters could be oblivious to the truth but you could solve things. Case 2 did this, even! But, In case 3 I had a picture of Means in my folder, right there on the campus, with a timestamp and everything, proving that he was at least there for part of the 6-8pm timeframe of the death, but no one thought to bring it up until AFTER freaking out about having "nothing" on Means.

I'm sure the game gets better after this, because the first two cases were so good. But Case 3 just drained so much out of me with how completely awful it was in every, single regard.

I think you're taking the game too seriously. The whole statue thing was meant to be ridiculous for the same of humor. I mean look at it, it's just so off-the-wall it's clearly not meant to be all that serious. I have my issues with Case 3 (DARK AGE OF THE LAAAAAAAAAAAAAW) but Means being the killer and the subsequent breakdown isn't one of them.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Pollyanna posted:

I have my issues with Case 3 (DARK AGE OF THE LAAAAAAAAAAAAAW)

You mean the entire game? :v: That got really old. I think I would've liked that plot if they didn't rub it in so much.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Calaveron posted:

Just beat Case 1 and I just love how they go back to the ol' bullshit holdover of fine Mr. Wright, you just proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was physically impossible for your client to even come close to committing the crime but now you have to find who did it or gently caress you and your client.

Never mind how the Prosecution can pick and choose when a motive has to be important for them, too (the first game's second case comes to mind).

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Just finished the game. It was awesome.

I probably don't need to spoil this but I'm doing it just for safety (AA4 spoilers and extremely minor AA5 spoilers).

Did Capcom retcon the whole thing about Phoenix trying to get jury trials instated in the previous game? It's even implied that he succeeded at it even since case 5 is supposed to be a test run for jury trials. It's weird that it's just completely absent and unmentioned this game since it's basically the entire point of AA4. Did I miss something?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ojetor posted:

Just finished the game. It was awesome.

I probably don't need to spoil this but I'm doing it just for safety (AA4 spoilers and extremely minor AA5 spoilers).

Did Capcom retcon the whole thing about Phoenix trying to get jury trials instated in the previous game? It's even implied that he succeeded at it even since case 5 is supposed to be a test run for jury trials. It's weird that it's just completely absent and unmentioned this game since it's basically the entire point of AA4. Did I miss something?

The jury trials in AA4 showed up because Japan was trying out jury trials at that point in time, and there was a big to-do about how it was finally gonna revamp the justice system.

They, uh, didn't go so well. In fact, I think they made things worse. So the entirety of Japan is pretending they never happened, not just Capcom.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
I'm playing through Case 3 right now and I got stuck to the point where I had to go look up a faq for the answer. As it turns out, the reason I got stuck was because the mood matrix sequence bugged out and wasn't showing the right answer at all.

For those of you curious (Case 3, Trial 2), it's the 2nd part of Hugh's mood matrix sequence. The unexpected emotion is happiness when he says he didn't almost lose, his body double did. The happiness emotion wasn't pinging in the slightest so I didn't even think it was option up until I read a faq.

I can't have been the only one to have gotten that bug, right?

Either way, I am so sick of lengthy character animations right now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

RickDaedalus posted:

I can't have been the only one to have gotten that bug, right?

It's not a bug. Sometimes the answer is what the witness ISN'T feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
I'm still laughing at Myriam's "PANDA ink: Turns white to black!", it's not even really a joke, but the product/name/tagline just seems perfect.

Ojetor posted:

AA4&5 I thought it was sort of brought up in case 3, Athena asks everyone to pass judgement on Means, but it was probably just used as a joke for the trash throwing in his breakdown.

I assume it got thrown out due to the DARK AGE OF THE LAW, but Phoenix was disbarred April 2019, putting Simon's arrest at 2020, and Vera's trial was in 2026, so who knows. Retcons!

• Locked thread