Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Is it just me or have the side guns of the transport chopper become a fair bit less lethal? It seems like you need to hit a guy like ten times now to actually kill him. Sure, that's quick and easy when you're hovering and can just unload, but when the pilot needs to keep moving then it becomes kind of a crapshoot.

Anyway, I've been starting with the campaign as well, and I'll add to the chorus of "Irish, shut the gently caress up already!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
So, for those with badass PC's: are the graphics "next gen"?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Well this sucks. Apparently I'm on one of the few ISPs EA's lovely region locking system decided isn't part of Canada. It's telling me I can't play until Oct 30th at 7PM, which according to their release schedule isn't a release date anywhere in the world, so I have no idea where the hell it came from.

Anyone on TekSavvy in Canada managed to get this thing to unlock? Or am I screwed unless I VPN it :(

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

nickmeister posted:

So, for those with badass PC's: are the graphics "next gen"?

Define "next gen," since there have been PC games with vastly superior graphics to anything the consoles could do for like 6 years now.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Well this sucks. Apparently I'm on one of the few ISPs EA's lovely region locking system decided isn't part of Canada. It's telling me I can't play until Oct 30th at 7PM, which according to their release schedule isn't a release date anywhere in the world, so I have no idea where the hell it came from.

Anyone on TekSavvy in Canada managed to get this thing to unlock? Or am I screwed unless I VPN it :(

The VPN process is fairly harmless. And you just need the VPN to activate it the first time, you can immediately disconnect from the VPN and play just fine once you've ran the game once.

wuat
Jul 12, 2009
Looks like flashbangs from the grenade launcher crash the user who shot it. Don't know if it affects the normal flashbangs, and I don't think it crashes other people.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Define "next gen," since there have been PC games with vastly superior graphics to anything the consoles could do for like 6 years now.

Does the PC version look anything like the PS4/One versions of the game? As oppose to the current gen?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

tehinternet posted:

BF4's campaign is significantly better than BF3s, you're not going to find anybody here that really believes that.

... and you're complaining about a slow motion fifty foot M320 shot as being difficult? :colbert:

It's nowhere near as bad as the Helicopter chase in Bad Company 2. That's for sure.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That's just the thing. I originally didn't have BF3 Premium. I bought it and upgraded my BF3 install a few months after it had come out. When I went back into BF3 for the first time in a while to play the mission, all of my progress had been wiped and I was incapable of accessing it without starting fresh.

I guess the good news is that the modern military shooter campaigns are so short these days that it probably didn't take long to blow through everything leading up to it.

Though for that specific mission, watching it on youtube is not too different from the experience of playing it.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

So I'm having trouble. When I click on a friend to add him to my battlelog, I only get to 'Invite to Mission'. But we're not friends. He invited me, yet I had no way to accept. I logged in-game and used the in-game battlelog to accept his friend request, but the in-game friends/mission and the browser friends/mission options don't display this. Ultimately I cannot find a way to add a friend.

Edit: It was him, he had to finish up a full game before he could be added as a friend.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 29, 2013

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

nickmeister posted:

Does the PC version look anything like the PS4/One versions of the game? As oppose to the current gen?

I don't think you can get an accurate answer to this question until the new consoles come out and people are able to do side-by-side comparisons. Though I don't see why the PC version with everything maxed out would somehow look worse than the next gen ports.

The Pope
Feb 18, 2007
How the gently caress do you even install this game. When I have to use the punkbuster horseshit it says the game isn't installed. loving :dice:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

nickmeister posted:

Orv
May 4, 2011

tehinternet posted:

... and you're complaining about a slow motion fifty foot M320 shot as being difficult? :colbert:

Seriously, if someone as lovely as me at these kinds of things can hit that first go, no-one should ever have a problem with it.

The chopper and TOW segment of the dam mission however, I may have managed to shoot the TOW missile directly through the passenger cabin of the chopper... twice.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

General Battuta posted:

Yeah, the campaign is dreadful. I think it's probably worse than BF3's. They even kill off Dima for no reason, unless he shows up alive in one of the levels I haven't hit yet.
Killing the most (relatively) interesting character from BF3's terrible campaign by doing it off screen and off handily mentioning it in cut scene basically sums up the quality of BF4's entire single player. Don't forget the part where right after he dies they hand wave away the squad somehow making it's way down a snowy mountaintop on foot, starving for several days, stealing a truck, then travelling an unknown distance into an unnamed ex-Soviet state. If I didn't have to unlock 3 weapons by slogging through it I would have given up after an hour.

Alan Smithee posted:

Without spoiling is it completely non-sensical in a "America gently caress Yeah" way or
It's non-sense in a "this poo poo makes no sense and is full of contrived emotional moments" way.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Couldn't be any better or worse than CoD, honestly. Certainly better than MoH.
I'd recommend playing BLOPS1 and 2 if you want to see how good CoD single players can be because those ones are really good. BLOPS 1 has a great unreliable narrator and interesting story while BLOPS2 takes shots at extremism in the US and is extremely self aware in some great ways.

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

:dice: is great at making me feel retarded. Is there a way to add servers to favorites? I don't see the option anywhere in my browser.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

DoctorStrangelove posted:

The VPN process is fairly harmless. And you just need the VPN to activate it the first time, you can immediately disconnect from the VPN and play just fine once you've ran the game once.

I guess I've always been wary free VPNs are going to slip shady poo poo on my machine or something. What's the one everyone used. FlyVPN?

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Orv posted:

Seriously, if someone as lovely as me at these kinds of things can hit that first go, no-one should ever have a problem with it.

The chopper and TOW segment of the dam mission however, I may have managed to shoot the TOW missile directly through the passenger cabin of the chopper... twice.

M82, pilot, 5 seconds or so. I didn't even realize that was a big fight. OH look helo *blam*. Only realized you're supposed to TOW the heli after going through it a second time (after getting stuck on death ledge) and accidentally blowing up the launcher.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Orv posted:

gently caress that stupid helicopter. It seems that you HAVE to take it out right before you go down into the dam, because even though I tagged it multiple times with an RPG-7 nothing would happen to it until I was meant to take it out.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Coming from BF3 on consoles this looks intensely better. I did play a little BF3 on PC, and I've only played a little 4 so far, but the improvements aren't that big (graphics wise, some of the effects are a lot better), but I think that's more because PC BF3 was closer to next gen than the current one at the time.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Man, load times for this are super bad. Any tweaks that may improve it, or is that just the current state of the game?

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Gropiemon posted:

:dice: is great at making me feel retarded. Is there a way to add servers to favorites? I don't see the option anywhere in my browser.

While browsing servers there is a faint star to the left of the server name. Click it to add a server to your favorites.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Apart from fairly regular crashing, and the progression interruption that comes with that like someone mentioned earlier (your stat recording resets if you rejoin a server, so late rejoining means far less rank up! YIKES!), the game runs very well on my ancient computer running on a i5 3750k @ 3.4 GHZ and a GTX 470, Win 7.

It looks like rear end with most settings set to Low or Off, but I can still shoot mans and have mesh set to ULTRA so that it doesn't draw out objects too soon. Oddly, I could have everything in BF3 set to max + some motion blur, so I'm not too certain what's different.
Maybe it's from being unable to turn off some effects. Like, for example, god-ray lighting is still on, even on Low.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

You don't even need to download and install VPN software from some company you've never heard of, just google "korean proxy" and take the three minutes to learn how to route your network traffic through a proxy and you're good.

Downloading a click three buttons VPN program is an easier alternative if you can't manage this. There's really no reason to not be playing right now if you want to be.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Erata posted:

(your stat recording resets if you rejoin a server, so late rejoining means far less rank up! YIKES!)

Do you have proof of this? I know that your place on the scoreboard gets wiped if you rejoin, but I assumed your stats saved from the previous session anyway.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

nickmeister posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElUX04hnovA
Here's some raw footage I took of ultra 1080 for you to look at.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

canyoneer posted:

I guess the good news is that the modern military shooter campaigns are so short these days that it probably didn't take long to blow through everything leading up to it.

Though for that specific mission, watching it on youtube is not too different from the experience of playing it.

My thoughts exactly, even if the video I watched showed the guy manage to actually get hit by a missile.

Shaithis
Feb 20, 2008
I was bored at work and cooked up a couple emblems:

Mass Effect Renegade logo:

Adventure Time Poo Brain horse:

I'd put it in the googledoc but it seems to be read only. Grab 'em while they're hot: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/soldier/Winsauce/stats/291412923/pc/

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

nickmeister posted:

'Next Gen' consoles are using hardware that was under development over the course of last year (maybe longer). That same hardware has been locked and in factories being manufactured for many months. Considering it was probably not bleeding edge when they came up with it, all you have to do to own something better is to buy a graphics card from the last 6 months.

poo poo isn't magic yo

ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001
if you want to live low, live low

nickmeister posted:

Jeff Gerstmann said that it looked better than anything he'd seen so far on PS4/Xbone. It's not surprising, really.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

folgore posted:

Do you have proof of this? I know that your place on the scoreboard gets wiped if you rejoin, but I assumed your stats saved from the previous session anyway.

I don't have hard evidence, just the knowledge that I crashed after being very late into a round, rejoined and got far less EXP than I should have.

The other guy this happened to said that if you had a good round, and did not rejoin, it would save your progression up until your crash after the round ends.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Just tore up KFS in the LAV-AD before the game froze. Wack. Oughta refund my battle bonus. I'm Reeferhound in game and used to play on KFS as OMGHAX/iHax if any of the old guard are around.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

BULBASAUR posted:

What type of accessories and mods do you use? Duck bill is pretty allrite, but I imagine full choke and darts are the way to go.

I tried the duckbill in the beta, but didn't really like it. I do have a full choke though for my QBS, but no darts yet. I honestly have no problems dropping people with regular buckshot, and the full choke is pretty decent.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

BF4 and many other games on the PC released in the past couple of years look far better than anything anyone has yet shown on the PS4 or Xbone. It's kind of a silly competition since both consoles are very similar to what would have been a mid grade PC three years ago, so comparing graphics is a bit of a waste of time.

Of course Moore's law is now dead so this gap is narrowing and I don't think the difference between consoles and PCs will be very substantial from now on, at least not like it was in the 360/PS3 generation.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Graphics have basically been solved, the industry needs to go hard and deep on AI to get the next big "thing" to come.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Alternatively, bring back ziplines, grappling hooks, and other wacky deployables. Let commanders deploy base elements and rebuild all the destructed terrain.

For all the craters and potholes from explosions, a massive dumptruck to pour dirt everywhere that could fill them in, create sick ramps for ATVs and dirtbikes, and also bury your foes and suffocate them to death.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My 4 year old PC can play on high without any serious framerate issues. It wasn't even high end when I built it. i5 750(not overclocked), 5770, 8gb RAM. I'm only playing on a 1600x900 monitor though. I could build a new PC, but I'm not sure if I want to dump the money on one as I barely spend any time gaming any more.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Erata posted:

I don't have hard evidence, just the knowledge that I crashed after being very late into a round, rejoined and got far less EXP than I should have.

The other guy this happened to said that if you had a good round, and did not rejoin, it would save your progression up until your crash after the round ends.

Anecdotal evidence, I was in a conquest round with 10k points, had ranked up, and crashed. Battlelog was showing me pre-ranking up. I rejoined the server, didn't have the points in the game, but when I went back to Battlelog after the round was over, it kept the 10k points from before I crashed and had me ranked up already.

Question - did :dice: really remove the server queue?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

nickmeister posted:

Consoles will always need to play up to performance PC visual standards, not the other way around. It's why they're 400 dollars, not 2000 dollars.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
So why does my tank turret have inverted cross hairs, but the machine gun on top doesnt? To "fix" this I have to set the controls opposite in the control panel, but then that inverts the machine gun. It's not apparent what setting has them both not be inverted. Any ideas?

ed

Nor does it seem to recognize my game pad. BETA did. Hmmm.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Anyone having problems equipping whatever's in gadget slot 1/the equippable gadgets like the grenade launcher or defib? No matter what key I have it bound to, I can't actually equip them.

• Locked thread