Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I love how corny his The ends justify the means, especially for me, professor means! :v: shtick is. It's just so, professor-ey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Bah finished the game last night and I need more! Has there been any news regarding when the DLC Case is coming out?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ChewyLSB posted:

Bah finished the game last night and I need more! Has there been any news regarding when the DLC Case is coming out?

This was mentioned a while back in the general Ace Attorney thread but in case anyone missed it, a partial English patch for Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth: Prosecutor's Path consisting of the game's first two cases was released just over a month ago.

Quick video from game boot to case 1 intro ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbxlQy-9O4o
Link to patch: http://court-records-net.tumblr.com/post/61452453993/aai2-fan-translation-case-1-2-patch-released

Translation quality is very good, has a few weird mistakes here and there but I think it could actually be less than in Dual Destinies.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Oh geez (case 5 near the end of day 1 investigation) It's been 8 years but Nick still has the Steel Samurai theme for his phone! :swoon:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Case 4, Trial day 2: Sailor Moon reference? Really? :allears:

Speaking of :allears:, I love how that's one of Aura's expressions, even if I hate her design...

CommonSensei
Apr 3, 2011
I almost forgot about one of my favorite humorous touches in Case 2: Jinxie's talismans slapped on Apollo's forehead flapping lightly as he talks.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

CommonSensei posted:

I almost forgot about one of my favorite humorous touches in Case 2: Jinxie's talismans slapped on Apollo's forehead flapping lightly as he talks.
How cool would it have been though if you could cause it by blowing into the 3DS microphone?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Man, Trucy's bouncing animation is so great, just the way her cape and hair bounces with her, it's hypnotizing, along with her sweet bass track to go along with her theme. I could sit here all day.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Holy crap I was not expecting the end of case 4 :stare:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

theshim posted:

Holy crap I was not expecting the end of case 4 :stare:

Yep, caught me off guard too. Definitely didn't anticipate that hard left turn at all.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yep, caught me off guard too. Definitely didn't anticipate that hard left turn at all.
Seriously, I was expecting the prints to be Clay Terran's because that would be such an Ace Attorney thing to do.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Chaltab posted:

Seriously, I was expecting the prints to be Clay Terran's because that would be such an Ace Attorney thing to do.

100% agree with you, exactly my thinking at that point.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
Just finished. What an awesome game.

My major gripe is, as I guess many others felt too (whole game spoilers), the payoff of case 5. There is very little payoff, for me anyways, in putting away random spy #x instead of someone whose identity was already known. I mean, sure, it turned out to be Bobby, but Bobby isn't even Bobby.

I get the idea is that the identity of the phantom doesn't matter, but damnit, the feeling of putting these scumbags away is so incredibly satisfying. I just didn't feel it with a faceless man.

Also, I suspected Bobby really early on, which kind of ruined it for me. We're starting the trial of case 5, trying to determine the secret identity of the phantom. It's too late to introduce anyone new, and the only person who was not under any suspicion or did anything bad otherwise was Bobby. Still was sad at the reveal though.. he was such a champion of justice :(.

Oh and the sniper attack? Whatevs, he'll be fine, carry on.

But there were so, so many more things to love.

- A very touching reason for Athena to rush the poo poo out of her bar exam, just to help save Simon. :cry:

- Pearls all grown up :swoon: and at least a Maya reference (by the way, that is one crazy rear end training course to last so long). Clonco and Ponco were also awesome.

- Phoenix's 'Huh?' 'Huh? Huh?' returning

In the end, did not disappoint.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I've finished it now.

The last case was pretty amazing, and I think the culprit reveal was well done even if I had started to suspect Fulbright after his strange burst of generosity in case 4.

Are we to take it that The Phantom was actually interfering with every other case, considering that he had masks of people from those cases available? If so, are there any obvious examples of this? I guess his mask could be an MGS4 sortof thing but you'd still expect him to use it for something other than just impersonating Fulbright.

e: I'm not including case 1 in this obviously.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 1, 2013

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I've finished it now.

The last case was pretty amazing, and I think the culprit reveal was well done even if I had started to suspect Fulbright after his strange burst of generosity in case 4.

Are we to take it that The Phantom was actually interfering with every other case, considering that he had masks of people from those cases available? If so, are there any obvious examples of this? I guess his mask could be an MGS4 sortof thing but you'd still expect him to use it for something other than just impersonating Fulbright.

e: I'm not including case 1 in this obviously.

I think he's just using their likenesses as a way of proving his point: he doesn't really have an identity apart from "generic bad guy". He could be anyone as far as we know. I don't think he interfered with any of the cases, though. He had no reason to.

Basically:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR4N5OhcY9s&t=135s

Incidentally, if anyone still cares about That One Character from Case 3, I wrote a post about it. Case 3 end spoilers, natch: http://retrocombine.tumblr.com/post/65641724866

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 1, 2013

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Pollyanna posted:

Incidentally, if anyone still cares about That One Character from Case 3, I wrote a post about it. Case 3 end spoilers, natch: http://retrocombine.tumblr.com/post/65641724866

You've gone and caught a lot of my thoughts on the matter really. The issues with Robin seem more unintentional implications at worst, and even then, its worth noting that Robin is... ultimately a fairly positive character. Once she gets the weight of what her parents wanted her to be off her shoulders, she's way more comfortable in her own skin and free to do what she actually wants to. The game doesn't criticise her for it, or even having lived a supposed 'lie' about her life. The ultra masculine/hyper feminine stuff is more from the fact she's in an Ace Attorney game, than anything else, and everything is blown up to ridiculous degrees. Or do we have to consider Starbuck and Edgeworth insulting to those with PTSD as well? Or Maggey to female police officers?

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Well this is really lovely.

Near the middle of the day 2 trial on the second case the game crashed on me. It happened when I pressed the button to review what had previously been said during the psych analysis part. Now I have to start the day all over. Fuckkk

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What the gently caress is Robin wearing, anyway? What is that thing? All I can find is something about an old manga and I don't think it actually exists in real life.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

WalrusWhiskers posted:

Well this is really lovely.

Near the middle of the day 2 trial on the second case the game crashed on me. It happened when I pressed the button to review what had previously been said during the psych analysis part. Now I have to start the day all over. Fuckkk

I think the game auto-saves at certain points, so you can at least start from a closer chapter. Check the chapter select under the case select screen?

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

Strange Quark posted:

I think the game auto-saves at certain points, so you can at least start from a closer chapter. Check the chapter select under the case select screen?

Oh that's useful, I didn't know that. However, It seems that it autosaved a while before the part I was at when it crashed and I'm already past the auto-save by fast-forwarding...

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

Pollyanna posted:

What the gently caress is Robin wearing, anyway? What is that thing? All I can find is something about an old manga and I don't think it actually exists in real life.

It's a Macho Brace. To keep up with Hugh's incredible skills, you need to maximize those EVs, man.

Mennonites Revenge fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 1, 2013

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"

Pollyanna posted:

Incidentally, if anyone still cares about That One Character from Case 3, I wrote a post about it. Case 3 end spoilers, natch: [spoiler]http://retrocombine.tumblr.com/post/65641724866

Astro Nut posted:

You've gone and caught a lot of my thoughts on the matter really. The issues with Robin seem more unintentional implications at worst, and even then, its worth noting that Robin is... ultimately a fairly positive character. Once she gets the weight of what her parents wanted her to be off her shoulders, she's way more comfortable in her own skin and free to do what she actually wants to. The game doesn't criticise her for it, or even having lived a supposed 'lie' about her life. The ultra masculine/hyper feminine stuff is more from the fact she's in an Ace Attorney game, than anything else, and everything is blown up to ridiculous degrees. Or do we have to consider Starbuck and Edgeworth insulting to those with PTSD as well? Or Maggey to female police officers?

Wait, this an issue? (More case 3 spoiler) The situation here is that Robin is a female in every sense of the word. Biologically and mentally. She does not identify as a male. The reason she posed as male is because she was pretty much forced to. No, having her go from super-masculine to super-feminine is not anti-trans, and anyone who thinks that is either not thinking about it at all, or thinking that just to have something to be outraged about.

So I'm still on case 4, (that means case 4 spoilers ahoy (and some AA4 spoilers)) Things suddenly got super depressing. :( Apollo's best friend was killed. A figure he and his friend looks up to is accused for said murder. Said best friend's mother died. Apollo had no mother (yes he did. Dammit Phoenix, tell him already, man! :( ) And now Apollo's off to, well, likely try to find the killer, and then kill them. You know, his own form of justice. Wait...

quote:

Now I'm just waiting for a game where Apollo, now all bandaged up, combats the "dark age of the law" in his own special way. While his ways of lawyering have long been forgotten, Apollo can slice and dice corrupt law enforcement, politicians, and government officials with his blade of justice! His enhanced precision allows him the cut enemies up accurately as the world around him slows. But he then falls to the blade of his samurai rival Simon Blackquill. With new cybernetic enhancements, Apollo once again rises, and goes after Simon and his band of allies to claim revenge.

I loving KNEW IT!

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I think the Robin thing was just someone taking it the wrong way. She's kinda comic relief but the game never really laughs at her the way it did with Armstrong.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Snix posted:

Wait, this an issue? (More case 3 spoiler) The situation here is that Robin is a female in every sense of the word. Biologically and mentally. She does not identify as a male. The reason she posed as male is because she was pretty much forced to. No, having her go from super-masculine to super-feminine is not anti-trans, and anyone who thinks that is either not thinking about it at all, or thinking that just to have something to be outraged about.

I'm actually writing up a reply to someone who claims that Robin's issues with gender expression, her brace, and her being outed - to her relief - "drudges up negative experiences transgender people have and ends them with the most asinine moral". Also, that she is not receiving the proper level of respect and that the game does not acknowledge the hardships that real people in their position have.

I'm having trouble understanding their point, prolly cause it's late, but there is definitely a big to-do about Robin. (Frickin' Tumblr.)

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
Anytime anything gender-related comes into existence, Tumblr has a field day. They have good intentions, but usually the issues are, well, non-issues. I think that person is trying to say that Robin is transgendered, and instead of embracing her inner man, he regresses to being a female as "society forces her." But, you and I know that simply isn't the case. Robin isn't transgendered, she just poses as a man because her family wants her to. She's very much a woman. She wants to be a woman. And her little plot ends positively, as she finally gets to be herself. For some reason, people seem to expect characters who are confused about their gender to end up becoming transgendered or gay or whatever. And I'm not saying that's wrong, but that's not always the case. It's a lot like how (Persona 4 spoilers) Kanji and Naoto in Persona 4 are often assumed to be gay and trans, respectively. But Kanji's plot ends with him realizing he's straight, but just likes cute poo poo. And Naoto's ends with her being brave enough to go into her job as a woman, instead of posing as a man. For whatever reason, people just can't seems to accept that.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Snix posted:

Anytime anything gender-related comes into existence, Tumblr has a field day. They have good intentions, but usually the issues are, well, non-issues. I think that person is trying to say that Robin is transgendered, and instead of embracing her inner man, he regresses to being a female as "society forces her." But, you and I know that simply isn't the case. Robin isn't transgendered, she just poses as a man because her family wants her to. She's very much a woman. She wants to be a woman. And her little plot ends positively, as she finally gets to be herself. For some reason, people seem to expect characters who are confused about their gender to end up becoming transgendered or gay or whatever. And I'm not saying that's wrong, but that's not always the case. It's a lot like how (Persona 4 spoilers) Kanji and Naoto in Persona 4 are often assumed to be gay and trans, respectively. But Kanji's plot ends with him realizing he's straight, but just likes cute poo poo. And Naoto's ends with her being brave enough to go into her job as a woman, instead of posing as a man. For whatever reason, people just can't seems to accept that.

Well, when your demographic is basically never represented in media ever, I think it's pretty easy to latch onto whatever even hints at it. There's a wonderful documentary that I totally can't remember the name of where they interview gay and lesbian celebrities and which (generally) straight actors and actresses who had homoerotic scenes they idolized growing up. Reading works of fiction and finding homosexual/trans undertones isn't a new thing at all, and I think it offers an important outlet for what is a vastly underrepresented group, but before people just sort of had to keep their fantasies to themselves. Now that there's pretty public spheres to share those thoughts (ie Tumblr) it's a lot more blatant to everyone else that people are seeing fiction differently

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

Ah, that makes sense. Yeah, the game industry could use some more positive LGBT characters. While I don't think developers should feel obliged to satisfy that need -- as they should be free to make whatever they want -- having more characters that fit that description wouldn't hurt of all. Unless of course it was something like DoA Extreme, which is free to be what it is, since it's meant to be a dumb game about sexy women, but that, well, wouldn't help at all. And while I'm thinking about it, the industry could use more sexy men here and there. Well, men that are supposed to be sexy, at least.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

I'm actually writing up a reply to someone who claims that Robin's issues with gender expression, her brace, and her being outed - to her relief - "drudges up negative experiences transgender people have and ends them with the most asinine moral". Also, that she is not receiving the proper level of respect and that the game does not acknowledge the hardships that real people in their position have.

I'm having trouble understanding their point, prolly cause it's late, but there is definitely a big to-do about Robin. (Frickin' Tumblr.)

Slight case 5 spoiler as well as Case 3.
I posted about this a little while ago, but the fallout with Robin is because people are too busy looking for something to complain about to see the point of her in the game as a whole. The game is send absolutely zero messages about being transgender as either a negative or a postive thing. It's comedy. I'm sure some people would say that "You shouldn't make jokes about it", but the game doesn't seem to beat around the bush making jokes with murder either. She flops between hyper masculine and hyper feminine as the situation requires for the sake of comedy, and neither end of that spectrum is flattering. The game does not acknowledge the hardships the real people have because it doesn't acknowledge the hardships any of these people have in real life. It's not rooted in reality. Juniper does not give a gently caress that her mentor is dead, Jinxie doesn't care about the Alderman being dead. The only person who ever cared a bit about someone dying in Ace Attorney is Maya, upon seeing Mia. She still doesn't care that much, there is no grief in this series. It's not a series based in the real world, and suddenly breaking into moralising about being transgender shatters the tone of the game and isn't really necessary. Do we have people having a go at the Judge because he's oblivious to the fact that Aura is implied to be homosexual? The asinine element to it is people looking for serious social commentary in a game about psychic lawyers. You have a much more valid case about Persona's Naoto, if you were to argue it because that game certainly aims to send messages about its subject matter.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 1, 2013

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Just finished, clocked in at 28 and a half hours start to finish. Enjoyed it immensely. I had issues with Case 2 and how some things didn't make sense, but picked back up with Case 3 and up to the end with Case 5. That case alone was amazing and ends decisively (and how!) like previous games. 30 bucks well spent.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Aurain posted:

Slight case 5 spoiler as well as Case 3.
only person who ever cared a bit about someone dying in Ace Attorney is Maya, upon seeing Mia. She still doesn't care that much, there is no grief in this series.

I agree with most of your post but um, Apollo? :confused: His whole story is about grieving for Clay. I think Vera Misham would count too. Oldbag was devastated when Hammer died. Adrian fell apart (even more) when Juan Corrida was killed, and Regina being oblivious about her father was a plot point. This series is mostly about people being accused of killing someone completely unrelated to them, so of course they don't really care, except when it's not and they do.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
ots of good points here, Aurain, but yeah, there is a lot of characters grieving through the serie: Larry was depressed over his girlfriend's death in 1-1, Edgeworth was devastated over his dad's death, so was Phoenix over Edgeworth's alleged death, Mia was torn appart by Terry and Godot's poisonings, etc. They are just not reduced to gibbering wrecks like how a loved one dying can do because it wouldn't be very enjoyable as a story, wouldn't it?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, fair enough. A lot of those examples slipped my mind, though I'm not super sure how with Apollo, like eating only apples mentioned because I played that a couple of days ago.

I was reading some discussion elsewhere a little while ago and someone came up with an interesting spin on Case 5: You only really capture The Phantom because of Aura's hostage situation. The ultimate conclusion came about through someone else's illegal actions, but you could argue that your ultimate victory was achieved because the ends justified the means for Aura.

It's probable that person was over thinking it, but it's a sort of cool interpretation regardless.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I kind of disagree here: You achieve victory through legal means. Aura's way would have been going through with her gut feelings and killing Athena. If you count her hostage taking as an integral part of Phoenix and friend's victory, then you could squeeze in every killer in every case's actions as impetus for Phoenix's victory as well. Hell, if you want to push that line of reasonning further, a lot of this would have been avoided had Simon been more forthcoming with evidence right off the bat. There would have been no need to resit his trial to get info about the Phantom, enabling the court to clear both him and Athena.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Iceclaw posted:

They are just not reduced to gibbering wrecks like how a loved one dying can do because it wouldn't be very enjoyable as a story, wouldn't it?

If you give Maya's cell phone back to her in Turnabout Sisters she sits in the detention center listening to Mia's voice while tears stream down her cheeks. :smith:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Iceclaw posted:

ots of good points here, Aurain, but yeah, there is a lot of characters grieving through the serie: Larry was depressed over his girlfriend's death in 1-1, Edgeworth was devastated over his dad's death, so was Phoenix over Edgeworth's alleged death, Mia was torn appart by Terry and Godot's poisonings, etc. They are just not reduced to gibbering wrecks like how a loved one dying can do because it wouldn't be very enjoyable as a story, wouldn't it?

And plus, Adrian in 2-4 attempting to commit suicide after her mentor did was a pretty big plot point.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I think it's worth noting that Robin is pretty unambiguously not transgender, in fact she's pretty much the polar opposite in that her gender identity struggle, rather than being a transwoman forced to live life as a man by society, is being a ciswoman forced to live life as a man by her parents. It's a complete reversal while still being pretty much functionally identical.

At the very least Robin's character arc is [/spoiler]a generally positive portrayal of someone coming to terms with their gender identity. The whole thorny issue for me was forcing the truth out of Robin using the Mood Matrix, it just left such a bad taste in my mouth that it soured the rest of the case for me.[/spoiler]

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'd fix that, but gently caress it, everyone knows by now.

Yeah, the one awkward thing about it is the forced outing. On the one hand, she comes out of it happier and it's apparently a good thing in the end, but as we all know - the end doesn't justify the means. :v:

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
About that painful truth outings seems to be sort of a thing in this series. Exhibit A: Adrian. If you have some sort of secret it will be dragged out of you with varying levels of pain and awkwardness. I'd go so far as to say that "the truth can hurt, but it's ultimately best to get it out and confront it," is kinda a theme of the overarching series. While it didn't completely happen in court, the entire Dahlila/Iris/Phoenix drama kinda fits in with this too

theshim
May 1, 2012

Arbitrary Coin posted:

About that painful truth outings seems to be sort of a thing in this series. Exhibit A: Adrian. If you have some sort of secret it will be dragged out of you with varying levels of pain and awkwardness. I'd go so far as to say that "the truth can hurt, but it's ultimately best to get it out and confront it," is kinda a theme of the overarching series. While it didn't completely happen in court, the entire Dahlila/Iris/Phoenix drama kinda fits in with this too
...Persona Wright? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

theshim posted:

...Persona Wright? :stare:

Also I just got the whole GYAXA gag:

Gyakuten Saiban -> GyakuSai -> Gyakusa -> GYAXA

:shepface:

• Locked thread