Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010

OmegaBR posted:

That is a snag, but I think back to the cafe scene where the man was hypnotized into walking in the street and Madison even wondered out loud if Fiona had really done it. Perhaps Fiona wanted Madison to be the Supreme enough that she was indeed faking her out a bit to try and spur it along.

I don't think it was anyone other than Madison doing that or the fire thing. If you remember, they said in last weeks episode(at least I think it was last weeks)that only the supreme has the entirety of magic powers, but some witches were capable of having five or six powers at a time. It seems to me like Madison was simply a powerful regular witch who was just beginning to come into herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
Is that Lily Rabe's character right after it says "Sarah Paulson" in the title sequence? The shadow that appears on the ceiling above her looks pretty cool.

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

droey posted:

Is that Lily Rabe's character right after it says "Sarah Paulson" in the title sequence? The shadow that appears on the ceiling above her looks pretty cool.
I don't know if that's her, but according to the internet, she's the one wearing the spiked shoes and the fancy headgear in the credits.

I knew something was up with Hank during the sex scene. I mean AHS always has weird sex, but this seemed a bit weirder than usual, like they were really trying to emphasize his aggression. Then when he said he was a monster, that sealed the deal.

"Oh, little beggar children, all fancied up." Delphine is such an evil person but drat if her lines aren't hilarious.

Zoe is so meh that I still think Nan is the Supreme, Down syndrome and all. I think there's some real cunning in calling the Council with her concerns about Madison, rather than asking Cordelia first. And Zoe really needs to go find Frankentate.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Women's Rights? posted:

Oh you son of a bitch, now I'm going to be really, really mad when those two gods don't show up on the show being all "The gently caress have you done with my minotaur?"

I know, right? I like the idea of a big standoff between Black Witches and White Witches having a bunch of Hispanic Witches or in this case Greek Vestial Virgin Witches showing up and letting both of them know: I don't care what black and white fight you have going on but either way you hosed with our traditions, both of you, so gently caress each of you.

Open Source Idiom posted:

That said, the idea that Madison would be so ready to jump her neighbor a few days after being date raped is one I have some difficulty believing. I don't know how much sway we're meant to be putting into continuity here.

I'm mixed on this because Madison to me is a really complex character and I don't know if she is a strong female character... but she is arrogant, goes after what she wants, and reacts violently with power against those who oppose or disrespect her. Not being defined by the gang rape was a nice touch in terms of things, but not having much of a care about it was a bit odd. Looking at how she just walked into the room of dead bodies has lead me to think that she did not become fearsome of sex after being victim of gang rape because she has a way different way of looking at, reacting to, and participating in the world thanks to her powers and lifestyle.

She kind of died before being able to show much of a reaction to said raping... which is not to say they had no opportunity, but I'm super mixed on her character and am hoping for more about her.

Coconut Indian posted:

A racist truck appears!

You could tell they were racists because of the truck and the image of a young black school boy following the flashback time of 1961- I'm not sure if this was fantastic directing or simply just the easy method of showing it but I really liked this opening and look forward to seeing how Miss Voodoo Queen has dealt with the ages and why her views are so jagged- she has lived through slavery being ended but sharecropping and Jim Crow laws following it, lived through separate but equal, various riots, and really every racial issue that occurred through history. It gives me a social-political history nerd-on at the thought of such a talented access playing such a strong character and seeing how she deals with stuff through time.

Anyone see the irony in that following the death of Black Child Only Wanting an Education, who was killed because he went to a 'white' school following desegregation, that the result of there being too much righting between the black witches and white witches was signing a contact and looking at a map and basically deciding on segregation. I may be taking something and running with it past how it was written, but it seems like the show had the magical world decide on separate but equal and have it break down just like in real life- which is some good satire/allegory/allusion.

Queenie being raped horribly has me mixed, but to be honest even after looking at my previous posts I prefer this to her using "Raped by Magic Black Beast" powers on her fellow woman. I'm not too big a fan of the sexual violence.. but prefer this to that of woman using brutal rape as revenge on another woman. The saving point for me is that it is loyal to the mythological Minotaur which if I'm right, much like the Sphinx, did not just kill you as many know... but killed you by rape in mythology.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I especially liked that one of the lynching avenger zombies was a Civil War-era soldier. I couldn't tell which side he was from; either one would be appropriate for different reasons.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm still not 100% on what happened to Queenie.
I could've sworn she was voodoo-raping LaLaurie? What with having her blood on her hand and then masturbating while grinding against the minotaur.

I guess I totally misread that scene.

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010

Deakul posted:

I'm still not 100% on what happened to Queenie.
I could've sworn she was voodoo-raping LaLaurie? What with having her blood on her hand and then masturbating while grinding against the minotaur.

I guess I totally misread that scene.

I thought people were reading way too much into it by thinking it had anything to do with rape. It seemed obvious that she was using the blood to save Miss Pittypat by luring the minotaur away. Why she then attempted to turn it on makes no sense, but AHS and all that.

The scene with LaLaurie thanking Queenie made me want a spin off show where the two of them become unlikely friends and travel around the country helping people overcome problems in their life. Queenie would ride a motorcycle and LaLaurie would sit in the sidecar.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I hope Hank's plot is something weird; I mean, a silencer gun is rather simple for a serial killer, specially considering what we have seen in the previous season. He seemed like "disposable husband" but now I'm interested in what is his deal.

New Young Moira/Young Myrtle was cute, I hope we see more flashbacks of her and Young Fiona hatin each other.

Leslie Jordan was great, as usual, though now I want to know what's the deal with Warlocks. We have seen men being part of voodoo rituals but I though "white people magic" was just for women.

Also, what's the policy on previews for the next episode??

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

radlum posted:

I hope Hank's plot is something weird; I mean, a silencer gun is rather simple for a serial killer, specially considering what we have seen in the previous season. He seemed like "disposable husband" but now I'm interested in what is his deal.

How much time has passed since the freaky snake sex he and Cordelia had? I wonder if at least part of his stuff in this episode is somehow related to that, and instead of them getting some weird hosed up demon baby out of that deal, he was possessed by something.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."

radlum posted:

Also, what's the policy on previews for the next episode??

Spoiler tag preview talk!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

xeria posted:

How much time has passed since the freaky snake sex he and Cordelia had? I wonder if at least part of his stuff in this episode is somehow related to that, and instead of them getting some weird hosed up demon baby out of that deal, he was possessed by something.

The season only seems to have taken a few days so far. At first I thought he was only having affairs to get away from his crazy-rear end marital sex life, but then :suicide: and now I don't know what's going on there.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

radlum posted:

The show never acknowledges it or brings it up again, just like Constance's 4th child in Murder House :kheldragar:

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The show never acknowledges it or brings it up again, just like Constance's 4th child in Murder House :kheldragar:

Oh, quick question, she said one of her children was a perfect angel or something like that. Was she talking about Tate or the mystery baby?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

radlum posted:

I hope Hank's plot is something weird; I mean, a silencer gun is rather simple for a serial killer, specially considering what we have seen in the previous season.
Calling it, witch hunter in deep cover.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm still waiting for Zachery Quinto to show up out of the blue. In both other seasons he wasn't even in the credits until he appeared and then became a main character, so I really am wondering if it will happen again or if he's been too busy to participate this season.

radlum posted:

I hope Hank's plot is something weird

You are watching American Horror Story. I do not think this can be avoided.

Taliaquin posted:

"Oh, little beggar children, all fancied up." Delphine is such an evil person but drat if her lines aren't hilarious.

Resurrecting her girls as zombies was nothing short of a masterstroke, honestly, given her back story.

I'm honestly starting to wonder if by the end, they might try to redeem Delphine in a surprise move. Sure she's way, way, way more evil than Jude, but it would not be the first time they've let an evil character try to change that.

Grognan posted:

I'm calling it now: Some kind of Warlock, or possibly supernaturally cursed in some way.

Keep in mind that when she's talking to him before the killing, she says how he was different, how he knew he was going to get her there and seemed to know she would like him. It all suggests he used some kind of influence to get her there beyond pick up artist bullshit.

To my knowledge nobody has ever explicitly stated on the show that he is a regular guy, ever, we just assumed it.

EDIT: Honestly if the show does just go serial killer with him, that'll be so normal it'll loop back to being strange in this show.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 31, 2013

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

ElectricSheep posted:

Bad move keeping the body, Zoey's gonna bring her back with her magic butthole.

vyst posted:

One hole brings life, the other one takes it away.
Aaaahahahahha:neckbeard::neckbeard: This is better than that flat SIDS joke.

Friends Are Evil posted:

OH poo poo ACID
Nooo my baby no lord jesus. I want her to be the Supreme. :smith: I want Misty to get a good solid girlfriend and be happy and see Fleetwood in concert but not to find out Stevie's a horrible homewrecker. I wish I could share the stories an old roadie of hers told me once. Unrelated, she had a stack of 2k and 8k on a washer, and on a dryer, and threw all the money into the washer and disappeared it because she didn't know what to do with it. I think it was Nicks on coke. Anyway.

That was a hell of an episode, just finished and the candy rationing was just so hilarious. Fantastic comedic relief. I hope she gets more bits like that. "No just wait, just one each." "I'll decide what each of you get YOU LITTLE HEATHENS"

Just gonna.. peek out the door first, make sure... the hallway's safe.. yep.. okay.. Have a good night.

MadSparkle posted:

Reading you talking about Metairie and Lakeview makes me all nostalgic and poo poo :3:

I could talk about Opelousas and Bunkie and the trash pile and The Hill and The Levee and Desire Street if it makes you feel better.
Oh god Desire Street is horrible nowadays. Need a car chopped? poo poo. It's openly advertised on the front of the shop in spray paint.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'm still waiting for Zachery Quinto to show up out of the blue. In both other seasons he wasn't even in the credits until he appeared and then became a main character, so I really am wondering if it will happen again or if he's been too busy to participate this season.

You are watching American Horror Story. I do not think this can be avoided.

Resurrecting her girls as zombies was nothing short of a masterstroke, honestly, given her back story.

I'm honestly starting to wonder if by the end, they might try to redeem Delphine in a surprise move. Sure she's way, way, way more evil than Jude, but it would not be the first time they've let an evil character try to change that.

I'm calling it now: Some kind of Warlock, or possibly supernaturally cursed in some way.

Keep in mind that when she's talking to him before the killing, she says how he was different, how he knew he was going to get her there and seemed to know she would like him. It all suggests he used some kind of influence to get her there beyond pick up artist bullshit.

To my knowledge nobody has ever explicitly stated on the show that he is a regular guy, ever, we just assumed it.

EDIT: Honestly if the show does just go serial killer with him, that'll be so normal it'll loop back to being strange in this show.

Maybe it's part a crazy ritual to have a baby, pushed by a third party? Neither witchcraft nor voodoo?

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Paradox Personified posted:

I could talk about Opelousas and Bunkie

That would be torture.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Blazing Ownager posted:

It'd feel kind of weird if they try to redeem her outright, because she's an actual historical figure who was just loving evil as poo poo.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
Have they mentioned whether or not they're supposed to keep their abilities/lineage a secret from their significant others? Or is it assumed that they end up with men who are also involved in the coven?

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

cochise posted:

That would be torture.

To be fair, we have great food here in Opelousas. Food trucks are arriving en masse (hilarious to see a lone cop car slowly arrive and the truck drives the gently caress off) and I got the best barbecue plate the other day from a lovely kind woman.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Rapdawg posted:

You could tell they were racists because of the truck and the image of a young black school boy following the flashback time of 1961-

"A racist truck" was just a reference to a notoriously bad Supernatural episode.

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.

radlum posted:

Leslie Jordan was great, as usual, though now I want to know what's the deal with Warlocks. We have seen men being part of voodoo rituals but I though "white people magic" was just for women.

I think Fionna mentioned at one point that it was her magic that got him on the bestseller list, which means that the Warlocks may be an elevated magic puppet for the witches, but I can also see Ryan Murphy making gay men have the potential to be less powerful witches. Next week, guest star Chris Colfer plays the new neighbor in the house on the other side with a special ability and a deep dark secret!

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

xeria posted:

It'd feel kind of weird if they try to redeem her outright, because she's an actual historical figure who was just loving evil as poo poo.

But she's already so funny and kind of sympathetic.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

AGirlWonder posted:

But she's already so funny and kind of sympathetic.

Kathy Bates has taken a lady who by all accounts should be loving horrifying and imbued her with an unreasonable amount of pathos. It's kind of unreal.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

radlum posted:

I'm guessing either this is just a school for witches, and there are warlock academies that are also represented in their Authority by Leslie Jordan, or I wouldn't be surprised if warlocks, like Leslie Jordan, are all gay.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

xeria posted:

The historical thing definitely makes it a super, super touchy subject but anything is possible. I realized this when Game of Thrones made me sympathize and feel sorry for a straight up murderer of children. I won't count this as a spoiler because there are literally several characters who murder children on that show, including a child killing montage.

Again, the historical thing makes it much trickier to do.

I almost feel like the character has to do something really big, like a lasting death (or even worse, a horrifying undeath) to save a black character or something to really earn that though. It'd have to be something ridiculous to give her any kind of believable redemption. But her reaction of being saved by a black girl she treated so poorly makes me think it's possible they are going that way.

Nihonniboku posted:

I'm guessing either this is just a school for witches, and there are warlock academies that are also represented in their Authority by Leslie Jordan, or I wouldn't be surprised if warlocks, like Leslie Jordan, are all gay.

My theory (mostly knowing outside information on the show's creative staff) is that they'll justify it as needing to be female on the inside, pretty much. I don't know why but I got the exact same "All the warlocks are likely gay" vibe.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 1, 2013

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?
It's just Kathy Bates being her amazing talented self, infusing humanity into a horrid past figure. Naturally she's going to be somewhat sympathetic. Besides, redemption is probably part of what makes this character so great, and I wouldn't be surprised if that redemption included a worthwhile death.

I also just realized that Spaulding was taking out Anna Lee's lace dress that she died in for his demented tea party with Madison. I hadn't connected the dress immediately until I rewatched that last scene.

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu
Kathy has said in one of her interviews that she's hoping for a redemption arc for Delphine. At the time, she'd only received the scripts up to episode 5(?), I think. I agree that it's tricky since Delphine was an actual person and racial tension is still an issue today, but if the writers go that way, I think Kathy will deliver. She's just so drat good. See --

Just gonna.. peek out the door first, make sure... the hallway's safe.. yep.. okay.. Have a good night.
She just made a "dawww" :3: moment for a sadistic racist.

Grognan posted:

That would be timed well, considering the current scandal over undercover UK officers having sex (and sometimes families) with the people they're spying on.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Had the notion when the show first started that perhaps one of the men (particularly Spalding at the time,) was actually a transsexual, biologically a woman, and therefore really a witch capable of certain powers.

That doesn't seem too likely now considering we've seen their past selves, but food for thought.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Taliaquin posted:

Kathy has said in one of her interviews that she's hoping for a redemption arc for Delphine. At the time, she'd only received the scripts up to episode 5(?), I think. I agree that it's tricky since Delphine was an actual person and racial tension is still an issue today, but if the writers go that way, I think Kathy will deliver. She's just so drat good. See --

She just made a "dawww" :3: moment for a sadistic racist.

That moment, the one where she thanks Queenie for saving her, and her handing candy out to the trick-or-treaters had me going, ":allears:...Wait, NO! She's a bad person!"

If this season was on the crazy level of Asylum, it'd be revealed in like episode 6 that she was somehow sneaking out at night and kidnapping people and skinning them alive or something.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Yea if you think anyone other than Zoe will be the next supreme y'all are nuts.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

OmegaBR posted:

Had the notion when the show first started that perhaps one of the men (particularly Spalding at the time,) was actually a transsexual, biologically a woman, and therefore really a witch capable of certain powers.

That doesn't seem too likely now considering we've seen their past selves, but food for thought.

Still sounds like a completely plausible Ryan Murphy plot.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nooo my baby no lord jesus. I want her to be the Supreme. :smith: I want Misty to get a good solid girlfriend and be happy and see Fleetwood in concert but not to find out Stevie's a horrible homewrecker. I wish I could share the stories an old roadie of hers told me once. Unrelated, she had a stack of 2k and 8k on a washer, and on a dryer, and threw all the money into the washer and disappeared it because she didn't know what to do with it. I think it was Nicks on coke. Anyway.

Dish internet person, dish. Lily Rabe does kind of look like a young Stevie Nicks, doesn't she?

I was laughing with glee at the THRILLER ending. Fantastic. There doesn't seem to be much interior character building, other than Fiona of course, and a lot of people doing crazy things for random reasons (a lot like the first season, actually). Shame, as I found the subtle character notes in the second season like the utter ruthlessnes of the reporter fun to chew on. But lets be honest, there was a lot of characters acting random there too, but at least it was fun to see.

And this is fun! In the bananas, over-the-top spectacle way that AHS does so well. So more of that please.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

xeria posted:

That moment, the one where she thanks Queenie for saving her, and her handing candy out to the trick-or-treaters had me going, ":allears:...Wait, NO! She's a bad person!"

If this season was on the crazy level of Asylum, it'd be revealed in like episode 6 that she was somehow sneaking out at night and kidnapping people and skinning them alive or something.

We're going to find out she was literally putting shards of glass and razor strips in the candies like everyone was afraid of back in the 1980's.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

Blazing Ownager posted:

My theory (mostly knowing outside information on the show's creative staff) is that they'll justify it as needing to be female on the inside, pretty much. I don't know why but I got the exact same "All the warlocks are likely gay" vibe.

Would they really do that? It's a very insulting/homophobic way of looking at gay men, that they are "female on the inside." I would be incredibly disappointed if they actually went with that.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

AGirlWonder posted:

Would they really do that? It's a very insulting/homophobic way of looking at gay men, that they are "female on the inside." I would be incredibly disappointed if they actually went with that.

They could just say "those who are connected with the feminine side of the Universe" or some other such thing- or, hell, just not even address it at all. Like, 99% of male Wiccans I've encountered in real life are gay, so I don't think it's that much of a stretch. I realize that gay doesn't equal feminine in the least, but there is definitely a cultural connotation between the two and witchcraft has traditionally been about liberating the underdog from "The [heterosexual, right-wing Christian] Man" so it fits.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 1, 2013

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah, I suppose that's the theme under-riding the show. I do wish they'd emphasize it more, and less so on the whole "there's a rape every episode" thing.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

AGirlWonder posted:

I doubt it and I think he was just making a joke, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Wade Wilson posted:

We're going to find out she was literally putting shards of glass and razor strips in the candies like everyone was afraid of back in the 1980's.

I was just thinking about what a weird thing that was. I remember one year the local hospitals were offering to x-ray bags of candy looking for razor blades.

• Locked thread