Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Suspicious Dish posted:

So, does your kill count in a level have any in-game effects? It doesn't seem to add to your currency/score at the end of a level, so if I see some spiders near the exit, is there any motivation to go after them, or should I just leave them alone?

I'm pretty sure kills are just a score thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Blackray Jack posted:

The damsel yells for help, the pug howls mournfully, and the mansel...quacks? At least that's always how I heard it.

He yells "Hey" at you.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Suspicious Dish posted:

So, does your kill count in a level have any in-game effects? It doesn't seem to add to your currency/score at the end of a level, so if I see some spiders near the exit, is there any motivation to go after them, or should I just leave them alone?

There is an item you can get (the Kapala) that can make killing enemies worth it, but otherwise not really.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Yeah, enemies are the least important thing. Avoid them if you can for the most part and prioritize loot. The AI patterns of some creatures and whatnot can gently caress you over unnecessarily, so really the only ones you should care about are ones with good drops.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oof, looks like the sticky gloves really didn't help there - they stuck you to the side of the tiki trap instead of just falling past it.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Color Printer posted:

There is an item you can get (the Kapala) that can make killing enemies worth it, but otherwise not really.

Yeah, there's no intrinsic reward, but even if you don't have that item, killing enemies is generally worth it for the same reason disarming traps is worth it - risk minimization. It doesn't matter so much on a speedrun, but if you plan on spending a lot of time in an area - hunting gold or ferrying items to the exit, it pays to have dealt with as many threats on the way as possible. You'll lose a lot of HP to hanging spiders or errant bats that you didn't bother killing because you just realised you have to go past them to get to a damsel or enough gold to buy a great item or something. You might've been careful on the way down, but if the ghost is almost upon you there's always the inclination to rush.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.

Suspicious Dish posted:

You had an incentive for killing enemies in Spelunky Classic, as killing a large amount of enemies in a playthrough would give you the chance to unlock one of the bonus rooms, which was a minigame in which you tried to kill as many shopkeepers as you can in a large room. There were such bonus rooms for almost every stat in the game; you unlocked rooms depending on your final score, damsels that you rescued and the time it took you to beat the game from start to finish. Also, if you got all of these unlocked, you gained the ability to play as Tunnel Man, whose main weapon was a mattock that would never break.

But in this version, if there's no specific reason for you to fight an enemy, it's best to leave it alone because you won't get anything out of it. Although, you do have an incentive to kill shopkeepers, as there's a Steam achievement you can get for killing 12 shopkeepers in a single playthrough. That's about it, though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Jetpack + Shotgun + Kappala = getting 20+ hitpoints.

And then running into a slider trap in the temple again. Splort. Again.

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I just had 8 hit points, a jetpack and a shotgun. Got bumped into a man-eating plant. GG.

Avskum
Jul 27, 2009

:smugfrog:

Jetpack + kappala + city of gold door open. Telefragged by crocman from offscreen without aggroing him.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

NEW UPDATE

Time for a new update. In this video, we definitely cover a whole lot more ground and see many things that we have yet to see. We definitely are doing a good job at going through the long distance, but can we go all the way? Only one way to find out.

I'll come back and talk about the various enemies and items I have skipped in this update, as I didn't have enough time to cover everything. In the meantime, everything is added on the journal entries in the OP if you want to learn by yourself!

Chapter 5 - Making It There

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Is there no mattock at the bottom of the snake pit in the remake? That was a pretty reliable way to get out in the original -- bring one bomb, crack open the bottom of the pit, and then dig your way out with the mattock.

Also, does the remake give you a damsel on every level? It really seemed to be, and that's a big change from the original, where it was more like 50%, and sometimes they'd be in kissing booths, which cost money :argh:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I shouldn't be surprised. but wow the game is fairly short.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Is there no mattock at the bottom of the snake pit in the remake? That was a pretty reliable way to get out in the original -- bring one bomb, crack open the bottom of the pit, and then dig your way out with the mattock.

Also, does the remake give you a damsel on every level? It really seemed to be, and that's a big change from the original, where it was more like 50%, and sometimes they'd be in kissing booths, which cost money :argh:
There is one, but with this Let's Play I'm going with the approach that one would have when playing the game for the first time. You'd need to have either the glasses or the Udjat Eye to see the mattock that is buried there, and therefore I will only point it out when the viewer will see it by himself. I don't want to immediately appear as a psychic presence that knows everything about the game!

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

Zain posted:

Its only sort of the last level!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Zain posted:

Mind you, Psych is making the game look easy. Most of the time your plays won't last more than a few minutes and a handful of levels before you die in some horrible Rube Goldbergian atrocity. :v: The joy in the game is replayability and score/achievement farming.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Zain posted:

It's not that short when it takes you 200 tries just to get to the end, let alone beat it :argh:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Zain posted:

Haha. Where we're going, you don't need eyes to see. :unsmigghh:

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Nov 4, 2013

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Zain posted:

The shortness is a small mercy on the game's part, because it can pack a lot of murdering you in that space, and the time it'll take to be able to beat it in 25 minutes is probably far longer than you spend on most other games.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Did you record this episode on Halloween? Would've been a funny explanation for the game giving you "the restless undead" so often.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Ugh, offscreen bullshit is the worst; I had a shopkeeper go ballistic on me because he spawned with a wide-open area in front of him... and a cobra lazily making its' way in. Halfway through the level when he screams at me and rushes out to gun me down.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
How thorough will this LP be by the way? Just all alternate levels or will you be attempting to show how you REALLY beat the real final boss?

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.
I'm sure Psych will be very thorough on what this game has to offer, so no worries there. This episode was a loving nail-biter, and I look forward to what future runs have to offer.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
Thanks to this thread I am now completely addicted to Spelunky. It feels like a game that you can't lose, because every death feels like a reward. You fell on some pikes... CONGRATULATIONS!

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Now that Croc Men have been shown off, I can show you all prime Spelunky.mp4.

Sometimes the game will put up a fight, other times it will just forego any of that pleasantry and kill you dead.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall the key won't damage the player when bouncing back off of things, making it notable as a weapon.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord

Lizard Wizard posted:

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall the key won't damage the player when bouncing back off of things, making it notable as a weapon.

I believe it does. But it also doesn't bounce well. I've been hit by the stupid thing a few times, though. Most notably, in the ice caves (level 3-4), I set it in on some land bordering the bottom left corner, and it started bouncing on one of those bouncy traps. I tried to pick it up and I got stuck in a chain reaction of smashiness.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I don't know, but I would bet money that an explosion-propelled key would gently caress up your day bad as any other object of sufficient velocity. I could be wrong though!

Professor Clumsy with the new thread title posted:

You fell on some spikes... CONGRATULATIONS!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

About that. I was just rather violently proven wrong.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Thanks to you LPing this game and Steam's recent Spelunky sale, I've picked up this game. It's quite fun, but god drat do I die fast. :(

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The ice cave is kind of a weird area because if you've started the playthrough from the mines, it's probably going to be the easiest part of the game by far. Certain items make it a lot easier to deal with and you'll probably have at least a couple of them by that point. (Jetpack, cape, compass, spike shoes, climbing gloves, ropes) Plus if there are angry shopkeepers waiting for you at the exit, they usually jump down the bottomless pit as soon as they start attacking. If you start from the shortcut it's a pain because you'll probably burn through your ropes pretty fast and it's not an easy area to get around without any items. (And even if you do make it through, you're not in a great position to beat the temple)

Also the version I've played is the PS3/Vita one and something that's odd is that most of the characters were already unlocked by default. If I'm remembering right only 8 of them needed to be unlocked. (I think 16 are locked in the PC version)

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

One thing I really find funny in this game is the instant regret. You'll throw something and realise you just hosed up, but by that time events have been set in motion and something is probably about to smack you in the head.

Yetis were so much meaner in the original. In this version you can jump on their heads to stun them. If you tried that in the original they would catch you and hurl you violently away. Usually into a pit.

I like the music in the temple. Only reached it a couple of times, and never got to Olmec, but it's a nice little reward to get for the twenty or so seconds I can last in there.

And the way I see Kali and shopkeepers and the like getting mad for things you didn't really cause, is you actually kind of did. If you hadn't entered the level, nothing would have happened, so really it's all your fault. :v: The logic of killing your only customer/person who sacrifices stuff to you is a little suspect though.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Yup, there's always a mattock hidden in the center block of the snake pit floor.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

RaspberryCommie posted:

How thorough will this LP be by the way? Just all alternate levels or will you be attempting to show how you REALLY beat the real final boss?

Considering that literally no one has done that single-player yet, I'd say the odds are low.

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008

McDragon posted:

And the way I see Kali and shopkeepers and the like getting mad for things you didn't really cause, is you actually kind of did. If you hadn't entered the level, nothing would have happened, so really it's all your fault. :v: The logic of killing your only customer/person who sacrifices stuff to you is a little suspect though.

The thing is, I'm pretty sure Kali and the shopkeepers (which would make an excellent band name) know about the thing where if an adventurer dies in this temple they get resurrected at the entrance, so it's more a matter of "Hey, you jerk, you majorly inconvenienced me, so I'm going to inconvenience you right back... with this shotgun!"

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

McDragon posted:

Yetis were so much meaner in the original. In this version you can jump on their heads to stun them. If you tried that in the original they would catch you and hurl you violently away. Usually into a pit.
You can also stomp yetis in the original game too. The only difference I remember between the remade yetis and the originals is that Yetis would sometimes randomly jump in the air and they had much more health. I think you needed to stomp them about 3-4 times with spike shoes before they'd die, as opposed to dying with only one jump. Their increased health made them prime targets for Kali sacrifices; you could easily claim all of the big rewards by bringing all of these unconscious yetis to the altar and win all of Kali's prizes. With their lower health, you can't do this as well as before, or at least you'd need to not wear spike shoes or have a rock or similar item handy to knock them down first.

GuavaMoment posted:

Considering that literally no one has done that single-player yet, I'd say the odds are low.
I have plans to showcase multiplayer at some point, so maybe you'll see that happen eventually!

Psychedelic Eyeball fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 4, 2013

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

McDragon posted:

That shocked and disappointed me in the latest update. Yeti volleyball was by far the most amazing part of the caves.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yetis being easier was one of the changes I really like from the free version, with the other being that Tiki traps no longer have a timer if you stand on them that makes them blow up. I always felt like that was bullshit in the original, and I'm glad they removed it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

sector_corrector posted:

Tiki traps no longer have a timer if you stand on them that makes them blow up. I always felt like that was bullshit in the original, and I'm glad they removed it.

Wait, what? Tiki traps explode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Wait, what? Tiki traps explode?

I've never heard of that either, but then again I don't know why you'd spend more than a few seconds hanging around in any single spot.

• Locked thread