Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insensative_Asshole
Dec 18, 2007
Is there a way to change the commander icon? A little blue arrow is hard as poo poo to see when there's 100 people on the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Insensative_Asshole posted:

Is there a way to change the commander icon? A little blue arrow is hard as poo poo to see when there's 100 people on the screen.
No. Everything about commanders is poorly done.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>

Insensative_Asshole posted:

I always mark him with Ctrl and left click. The red mark is better when you're following him at close range and you still have the blue icon for when you need to see him on the map. It's also good for when they get angry and take it off to only have their guild follow them.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Phosphia posted:

I always mark him with Ctrl and left click. The red mark is better when you're following him at close range and you still have the blue icon for when you need to see him on the map. It's also good for when they get angry and take it off to only have their guild follow them.

This.

If you're currently trading blows with another group and need to mark a priority target to kill, call that target. Otherwise you should keep your leader called so that it's easier to keep track of where he or she is. It also makes them easier to follow around.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.
Only vaguely related to the issue of not seeing your commander in the zerg, if there are multiple commanders on the map and you just want to stick with one, you can join their squad, which will remove all the other commander tags from the map and leave just the one from your squad. It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize this. Don't be me.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

ExHumus posted:

Speaking of which, anyone who can't play regularly enough to have gotten the Lich done early on probably isn't pushing the upper limits of available achievement points, so missing out on one achievement shouldn't mean much to them.

Agreed. The zerg train ran through Halloween town for a full week. If you couldn't find one hour over 7 days to kill yourself a set of undead mans and a candy corn giant, you shouldn't be worried about spergin your cheevos.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

The big problem with that one skeleton legendary guy was that no one could agree on how to do it. The few times I was with a zerg that went through there, half the people were yelling at everyone to stack in melee, and half were yelling at everyone to stack at range. So we ended up stacked in both places and the little skeleton adds spawned all over the place. Plus it always seemed like another door event would spawn on top of that one so we'd end up with a bunch of adds and wipe. Admittedly, I didn't try much, I spent maybe an hour in the maze total this holiday, just not feeling it right now. But that guy seemed to require a bit more brains than a zerg can manage.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
I believe you were supposed to have done it on top of him so that the AoEs could kill the high retaliation skeletons instantly and people could share heals and condition cleanses from combo fields. Unfortunately if you were squishy, you died the second skeletons came out, which made people shy to get into melee range. If too many people get scared and range it ended up being a wipe.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

The big problem with that one skeleton legendary guy was that no one could agree on how to do it. The few times I was with a zerg that went through there, half the people were yelling at everyone to stack in melee, and half were yelling at everyone to stack at range. So we ended up stacked in both places and the little skeleton adds spawned all over the place. Plus it always seemed like another door event would spawn on top of that one so we'd end up with a bunch of adds and wipe. Admittedly, I didn't try much, I spent maybe an hour in the maze total this holiday, just not feeling it right now. But that guy seemed to require a bit more brains than a zerg can manage.

The most fun was when we were fighting the Lich, and then the Viscount spawned on top of us. So many people died to the candy salvos while trying to face tank the Lich.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

SeaTard posted:

The most fun was when we were fighting the Lich, and then the Viscount spawned on top of us. So many people died to the candy salvos while trying to face tank the Lich.

They spawn on opposite ends of the map. I'm not sure how this could happen.

Cephid
Dec 28, 2012
I think you can drag them both around the map?

I know there is another skeleton (not the lich) that carries a chainsaw greatsword that will literally charge a zerg on the high count or lich from across the map and it was always absolutely hilarious when he did.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Digital_Jesus posted:

It sure as poo poo happens with the Horror though. Fun times, fun times.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Cephid posted:

I know there is another skeleton (not the lich) that carries a chainsaw greatsword that will literally charge a zerg on the high count or lich from across the map and it was always absolutely hilarious when he did.

Yup, it was always great to see a ton of people get chainsawed in the back because they were too focused on the other guy they were fighting and didn't see it coming. :allears:

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

SHODAN Processing Component 43893
The Tower of Nightmare witch achievement: Do you just need three witches (any of them will do) or do you have to have them in each of the three zones.

I poopread any witch but I'm questioning the legitimacy of that.

sound_again
Jun 19, 2012

Digital_Jesus posted:

If you couldn't find one hour over 7 days to kill yourself a set of undead mans and a candy corn giant, you shouldn't be worried about spergin your cheevos.

I had been away from the game for a few months and came back because I knew Halloween was underway and I wanted to do some of it.

Besides, maxing my achievement points is not my primary goal; as you surmised, I'm nowhere near others in GS.

Some of us like to be perfectionists with our games. Even if we rarely run a PS3 game into the ground to get a platinum trophy, the idea that we could get that platinum trophy or some other version of a "perfect game" drives us to play and we enjoy the process. In this game, it's unreasonable to try to collect all the minis or town clothes or what have you because of cost, so it would be nice if I had a perfect achievement panel to shoot for.

It's one thing that I can't do living story I was entirely absent for (though having anything I can 'miss' is not the way I'd do things), but when I come in less than halfway through an event and they made the poo poo so damned impossible and unrewarding that no one will even bother to help me, it makes me sad for this game all over again.

Inevitably some of you gurus will want to advise me that "um you shouldn't want that from achievements" but that's really not needed. Feeling that I can shoot for a perfect something is a huge part of what I like about games and I wish I could like it about this game, but maybe that's just the nature of games this big. I'm sure plenty others out there feel the same way.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Digital_Jesus posted:

Yeah, I think it was actually the other skeleton dude.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sound_again posted:

but when I come in less than halfway through an event and they made the poo poo so damned impossible and unrewarding that no one will even bother to help me, it makes me sad for this game all over again.

It's almost a month since the Halloween stuff started (started on the 15th, krait was the 29th), you came in near the end expecting that. People were doing the labyrinth quite a bit for the first half of it (until the krait update), I know that because I was there! I was in the labyrinth a ton because I loving love ghosts and halloween themes and poo poo, no other reason.

I really do agree with you on the general issues with the Living Story update "method" and the temp content, but I think you're being unreasonable. I don't think it's sad or bad or even surprising that people don't want to do completely optional boring and grindy bosses after the next Living Story chapter has started.

The labyrinth bosses get you literally nothing, not even a title or rare items, but a few achievement points (as stated over and over if you need the meta cheeve you can do the dailies towards the halloween category), and if you're going to go insane if you don't have those 5 points or whatever then that's not the game's fault!

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Those labyrinth bosses should have counted as world bosses with big chest and bonus chest rewards every day. They were a lot rougher than some of the easier ones.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

not even a title

It's mind boggling that they don't put in more titles in the game for all the various achievements. It's like more content for players to consume without any development time.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

sound_again posted:

I had been away from the game for a few months and came back because I knew Halloween was underway and I wanted to do some of it.

Besides, maxing my achievement points is not my primary goal; as you surmised, I'm nowhere near others in GS.

Some of us like to be perfectionists with our games. Even if we rarely run a PS3 game into the ground to get a platinum trophy, the idea that we could get that platinum trophy or some other version of a "perfect game" drives us to play and we enjoy the process. In this game, it's unreasonable to try to collect all the minis or town clothes or what have you because of cost, so it would be nice if I had a perfect achievement panel to shoot for.

It's one thing that I can't do living story I was entirely absent for (though having anything I can 'miss' is not the way I'd do things), but when I come in less than halfway through an event and they made the poo poo so damned impossible and unrewarding that no one will even bother to help me, it makes me sad for this game all over again.

Inevitably some of you gurus will want to advise me that "um you shouldn't want that from achievements" but that's really not needed. Feeling that I can shoot for a perfect something is a huge part of what I like about games and I wish I could like it about this game, but maybe that's just the nature of games this big. I'm sure plenty others out there feel the same way.

Man let me tell you I'm probably the least guru of anyone that posts in this thread. I hate like 90% of this game and only play it because dentists are cool people and it's fun to run around doing mindless poo poo with fun folks.

Achievements and content in this game are mostly terrible worthless timesinks that give you no reward other than filling up a panel full of achievements that everyone else got too. I'm not telling you to not worry about it because you don't need an item or a full cheevo board or whatever I'm telling you not to worry about it because it's nothing unique or good or even worth the time.

Make a pretty princess and plant some flags in LA. Halloween is deaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 4, 2013

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't know, I think "I would like to do a thing and I can't because it's designed to need 50 people and 49 of those people did it the first day and never looked back" isn't that unreasonable. But this isn't a game where you're ever going to be able to do everything, and there will always be something new to do sooner or later. As a recovering nigh-obsessive completionist myself, I will tell you that you need to abandon nigh-obsessive completionism, or you will never be happy, in this game or out of it.

(I do still need to get my candy corn node though, or I'll never be able to accumulate a huge pile of candy corn that I'll never do anything with).

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I recently stopped caring about maxing my achievement points by doing every daily every day, and holy hell is it a great feeling. After several months spending a minimum of 3 hours a day for imaginary sperg points, it's incredibly freeing. I can't believe I actually stressed myself out some days about whether I'd be able to get all the points. No more treating the game like a job for me.

Still, for the long term cheevos, the completionist in me would like to get them all, and I'll be disappointed if I can't kill that lich guy in before it ends. I don't care about the two points, but I wouldn't want to see a forever empty spot on my achievement tracker. Maybe it'll be good for me not to get it. Baby steps.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Lyer posted:

It's mind boggling that they don't put in more titles in the game for all the various achievements. It's like more content for players to consume without any development time.

I was kind of disappointed that there weren't any more Halloween titles this year. The day they add a Lunatic Courtier title I will kill myself to get it, I am such a sucker for all of the Halloween stuff. It's the only crap I care enough about to get 100% achievements on, even for the ones you don't necessarily need in order to get the meta.

Thanks to the Cool Dudes in SFD that helped me to get Beaten Bloody even after Arus poo poo on it :love:

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Somehow I accidentally got the meta for this living story by leveling my guardian in kessex. :v: The event trains make things go easy and quick, I went from 27 to 36 this past weekend. The only achievement where I went out of my way to get was the krait witch ones and that wasn't even remotely painful.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I stopped caring about achievements when going on a break put me irreversibly behind by like 4000+ achievement points. I still think that dailies/monthlies giving achievement points is stupid, but at least I don't care at all about achievements unless they give me something I want now.

SciFunk
Mar 2, 2006
Libertas per scientiam.

gandlethorpe posted:

I don't care about the two points, but I wouldn't want to see a forever empty spot on my achievement tracker. Maybe it'll be good for me not to get it. Baby steps.

Don't get it. Once you're missing one thing, you will realize it doesn't matter and will feel less compelled to get perfect completion on everything. You will be happier.

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

SHODAN Processing Component 43893

Lyer posted:

This was one of the more (only?) enjoyable traits of Lord of the Rings Online. Titles for days.

Although after a certain point you seem to reach diminishing returns on the desire for a title.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
The problem with the halloween stuff was that the season 1 got thrown right on top of it and immediately cleared out all the people farming it.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Thinking about reinstalling. Goonsquad Maguuma still the place to be? Do people play sPvP at all anymore? That was like the only thing that kept me coming back.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

malhavok posted:

The problem with the halloween stuff was that the season 1 got thrown right on top of it and immediately cleared out all the people farming it.

Same thing is gonna happen if there are achievements for the new WvW map. I bought my wife an account when it was 40% off and it's incredibly overwhelming to have dailies and three types of Living Story/temporary content glaring at you in the face. I basically told her to ignore it all and just take her time with the main story and leveling.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lokipunk posted:

Thinking about reinstalling. Goonsquad Maguuma still the place to be? Do people play sPvP at all anymore? That was like the only thing that kept me coming back.

Read the OP for guilds. sPvP is done occasionally by people but I don't think it's a regular thing as it's mostly universally despised. SFD has eSports Sundays at least.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

lokipunk posted:

Do people play sPvP at all anymore?
Anymore? :psyduck:

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time

gandlethorpe posted:

Still, for the long term cheevos, the completionist in me would like to get them all, and I'll be disappointed if I can't kill that lich guy in before it ends. I don't care about the two points, but I wouldn't want to see a forever empty spot on my achievement tracker. Maybe it'll be good for me not to get it. Baby steps.

There's a first time for everything. If it isn't the Lich dude it would be the "Kill Scarlet in under 30 seconds" one that will only be possible with 4 warriors and a mesmer!

On a crappy note, it sucks to those who didn't own the game or weren't playing before they started adding permanent things to your personal home instance. Hopefully they add in more ways to get places of power and the like next year...

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Eh, I missed 5000 or w/e godawful amount of points for Southsun Survival and 1/3 of the SAB cheevos (though SAB will return), and my completionist compulsion remained. But maybe my newfound sense of apathy will kill it for good this time.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

gandlethorpe posted:

I recently stopped caring about maxing my achievement points by doing every daily every day, and holy hell is it a great feeling. After several months spending a minimum of 3 hours a day for imaginary sperg points, it's incredibly freeing. I can't believe I actually stressed myself out some days about whether I'd be able to get all the points. No more treating the game like a job for me.

This is pretty much how I always play. Playing casually is the best, especially with this game.

Hey, I have a question although I'm pretty sure I know the answer. The pvp stalwart armor, I hear only parts are available in PvE. Are the boots available? I have to have those boots.

sound_again
Jun 19, 2012

Digital_Jesus posted:

Achievements and content in this game are mostly terrible worthless timesinks that give you no reward other than filling up a panel full of achievements that everyone else got too. I'm not telling you to not worry about it because you don't need an item or a full cheevo board or whatever I'm telling you not to worry about it because it's nothing unique or good or even worth the time.

This is absolutely the truth.

docbeard posted:

I don't know, I think "I would like to do a thing and I can't because it's designed to need 50 people and 49 of those people did it the first day and never looked back" isn't that unreasonable. But this isn't a game where you're ever going to be able to do everything, and there will always be something new to do sooner or later. As a recovering nigh-obsessive completionist myself, I will tell you that you need to abandon nigh-obsessive completionism, or you will never be happy, in this game or out of it.

See, I long ago abandoned this obsessiveness in real life because it doesn't work, but a lot of games actually reward this attitude. This just isn't one of them.

The moral? Take Guild Wars easy or you will be disappointed.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sound_again posted:

The moral? Take Guild Wars easy or you will be disappointed.

Definitely, GW2 is more casual than most games, and the people who care too much about min/maxing or sperging about cheeve point elitism find themselves quickly tired of or frustrated with the game.

Probably why I enjoy it so much!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Countdown until shadowshift stops caring. I'm sure it'll happen once the WvW season gets bad enough.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

SciFunk posted:

Don't get it. Once you're missing one thing, you will realize it doesn't matter and will feel less compelled to get perfect completion on everything. You will be happier.

This is so true, even in other games I play now. Once I stopped my OCD tendencies of collecting all the achievements or having all max level alts, these games became a lot more fun. It's all about making small, realistic goals to shoot for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Honestly, with the exception of no easy way to get precursors wihtout dropping thousands of gold, this is why I like the legendary weapons. I may never get one, most likely never will, but it's a giant task broken down into manageable sized mini-goals.

• Locked thread