Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I just imagine that all Japanese game companies all either assume their clientele are huge poopsocking perfectionists or autistic three year old children.

God forbid the difficult mode is in at the start or babby might pick it randomly by banging his nose against the touchscreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I can understand unlocking a harder difficulty by playing the game once.

An easier one, not so much.

Anyway, looking forward to the journey of the boy who did not care. Bonus points if you can use a lion.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Looks like I'm in on the ground floor here. Let's see this strange new world of male characters and weak limbed snakes.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Don't get me wrong, I really like Black 2. There are a couple bits that are huge additions (many of which aren't included in X/Y, natch). It's just that there is also a lot to make fun of, and this wouldn't be the internet if we weren't beating the negative bits with 2x4s.

Yggdrasil325
Jul 24, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

Don't get me wrong, I really like Black 2. There are a couple bits that are huge additions (many of which aren't included in X/Y, natch). It's just that there is also a lot to make fun of, and this wouldn't be the internet if we weren't beating the negative bits with 2x4s.

I think this is the best way to put it: the game is still lots of fun, it improves some things from BW, and adds some neat extra features. Unfortunately, some of those extra features are poorly executed, and the story, while having some interesting plot events, fumbles in its execution (GF has a big problem with writing natural dialogue). It could have used a bit of extra time after BW to polish up some stuff.
Basically if you don't care about the story it's a good game.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

This game had some good ideas. And some bad ones. The usual Pokemon game thing really. Lost a couple of good things, added some good things, made a couple of decisions that make no sense. Difficulty settings were a good idea, but locked behind idiocy. Still, I enjoyed it.

But Hugh is terrible and bad. And his hair looks like a Quilfish. I like to think a Quilfish ate his brain and set up shop in his skull. That's why he's always so angry.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Yggdrasil325 posted:

Basically if you don't care about the story it's a good game.

It's not like this is something new for the franchise, it's just coming off the heels of the one main game that did have a decent story. I'd still take BW2's plot over say, the Hoenn ones.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

StrifeHira posted:

It's not like this is something new for the franchise, it's just coming off the heels of the one main game that did have a decent story. I'd still take BW2's plot over say, the Hoenn ones.

What? You mean "gently caress the ocean, let's dry it up!" Was a lovely motivator for Goldfish Gang Theme?

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Rose Spirit posted:

There are legless lizards, maybe there can be... legged... snakes? :psyduck:

This is actually a thing, by the way. Serpentia, the group with the "classical snakes", is nested within the lizards and there's a lot of middle ground between the two.

Glad to see this going and glad that you've picked Snivy. I lost interest on my own playthrough of Black 2 at the final stretch of the game, and I look forward to seeing what I missed.

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 9, 2013

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Hugh is awesome, gently caress the haters. :colbert: He's entertainingly stubborn and single-minded to the point of complete absurdity. It's awesome. He also has the best rival battle theme in the series. Hell, it might be my favorite Pokemon song, period.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
Wow! Nice to see this, I didn't think you would be doing this so soon. This game is one that I enjoyed, if found it really fun, and personally I liked Hugh as a rival, plus he had such an awesome theme. Anyway going to be keeping an eye on this can't wait to see the further adventures of Vinny and Curly.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hugh reminds me of someone who was waaay into the :nolan: Batman movies. I like to imagine that when he yells he tries to do the Bale gravely voice.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 12, 2013

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?

SirPhoebos posted:

Hugh reminds me of someone who was waaay into the :nolan: Bataman movies. I like to imagine that when he yells he tries to do the Bale gravely voice.

I think this myself, and find it improves the Hugh experience greatly. He becomes much better when you stop thinking of him as a rival and a serious character and start thinking of him as an object of ridicule.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

D3m3 posted:

I think this myself, and find it improves the Hugh experience greatly. He becomes much better when you stop thinking of him as a rival and a serious character and start thinking of him as an object of ridicule.

Oh he's hilarious, you'll find no disagreement here.

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.
Wow, this popped up quickly.

I skipped Black/White 1 in expectation of Game Freak releasing a third version that would take everything from the first two versions, improve on it, and be generally regarded as the best game of the generation, as has been the case for Platinum and Emerald...and then I got this.

On the bright side, because I avoided the first two games I got to experience all the cool 5th-generation additions at once. (They finally figured out how to animate sprites! That's adorable.) But if I'd already played Black or White? I'd probably be pretty annoyed with this game.

Speaking of getting annoyed, I agree with the goons here about Hugh. I've played this game to completion and did not remember him at all until this update; he's just that bland and forgettable as a character, especially compared to the likes of Bianca. Even Blue back in the first generation was more interesting, and he was just a sanitized metaphor for a guy giving you a wedgie.

I'm liking Vinny so far, though I hope you won't hold back with his archetype, Choro. I fully expect him and a group of his friends to invade the beach for a hit new TV series about the true lives of Aspertia natives.

Roundabout Route fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 9, 2013

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
An artistic shut-in forced into the pokemon adventure. This should be interesting.

Rose Spirit posted:

There are legless lizards, maybe there can be... legged... snakes? :psyduck:

I always thought the skinks around here looked pretty snake-like. They're...sleeker than the other lizards.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Ephraim225 posted:

This is the only game in the series I can say that I don't like, and it's mostly because it's so incredibly same-y compared to Black/White 1 (which I feel are the best in the series, and no, "more of the same" does not mean Black 2 and White 2 are just as good).

Man I have like the exact opposite opinion as you. BW1 bored me to tears with how little there was to do, and the almost complete lack of a postgame didn't help. Say what you want about BW2, but at least it doesn't shy on the optional stuff.

Seeing all the Hugh hate makes me wonder if I just blocked out parts of this game from my memory though, because I can not recall anything that would inspire this much spite.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

...Owls?

Chorocojo posted:

Since you did a full set of Unova flashcards during the Pokemon Black LP, does this mean we get Vinny's sketches when you catch something new instead? 'Cause I think that would be pretty rad. It's funny, skimming the megathread in Games I thought the consensus on Black/White 2 was overwhelmingly positive. Then again, none of those posts mentioned the plot, so... Looking forward to this on multiple levels.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
Black/White 2's plot is really more of a postscript to Black/White than it is a cohesive story on it's own. I personally liked where it went with certain things, but it also kinda reeks of lost potential. Hugh's a disappointingly one-dimensional character but I'm not sure why he's apparently loathed by everybody.

On the mechanics side though, I really have nothing to complain about. The minigame they added is fun for once, even.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
I'm also one of the people who's not sure why everyone seems to be hating Hugh. I mean, it's not like he's my favorite rival character or anything, but I don't recall outright loathing him. I guess I'll see if he's worthy of being dumped on as the LP progresses!

Anyway, glad to see this up and running! One of the features of this game I regard as both one of the stupidest things and one of the most amazing things in a Pokemon game, so it'll be fun when we see it.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
Black 2 owns for having the best "But Thou Musts" in the series. That mom isn't taking your slacker poo poo son. :colbert:

gently caress hugh

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I think "more of the same" is actually a point in this game's favor, at least for me. Gen 5's Pokemon are so good and diverse a cast that it's been giant fun going through almost the same game again with a completely new team, without having to delete the old save.

I guess I can take or leave their additions and the story is stupid, but I really never care about that (or characters, I have zero opinion on Hugh) so whatevs, more B/W goodness yay :v:!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Action Shakespeare posted:

Black 2 owns for having the best "But Thou Musts" in the series. That mom isn't taking your slacker poo poo son. :colbert:

gently caress hugh

Nobody's going to beat Professor "..." Rowan though.

Hugh's not terrible, but to me he just seems a lot like Pearl/Barry, only not half as entertaining.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I wouldn't say its so much 'hate' as just a lot there to make fun of. You'll see as the story progresses.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

gently caress yeah, SNIVY :frogc00l: I always try to do grass-types in these and--wait. What's going on with that female protagonist's hair. HOW DID I FORGET ABOUT THAT. Good god :staredog:

Antipersonnel Mime
Feb 27, 2011
Grabbed White 2 about 4 months ago, partially because of the last thread.

When I saw the rival, I immediately thought 'standard anime antagonist/dick', so I gave him a name that would only be more annoying as the game continued.

I named him Hubert. :eek:

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
To be fair, I like Black2. It is a fun game and not bad and I played it a lot. This is the general concensus, really.

It is, however, one of the first times I have ever laughed at how bad a story was while experiencing it though. It has a few other problems but we'll be going over those when I hit them. Negligible problems.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm surprised to hear so many people never finished Black 2. I can see how you would rate it as meh overall, but I became strangely attached to it. I played through that game to a completion level that I'd only previously reached with HeartGold and that's my favorite. I guess the plot didn't bother me because I just never pay attention to Pokemon Plot.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I didn't finish my copy of White 2 because I was coming into it straight from doing some post-game in Black. Got a few badges, felt burned out and moved on to other games. I might try to play along with the thread, it would make for a good excuse to pick it back up.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
Snivy's cool, a good choice for the starter. Still smug.

Ratoslov posted:

Is there a Pokemon White Castle in Pokemon New Jersey? I really hope there is.

It's a version exclusive though so we won't be seeing it.

Firecube
Feb 15, 2012

"What do you mean we usually just play dead? Are you telling me I've been doing this whole opossum thing wrong for 20 years??!!!"
I'm the polar opposite of many of you. I finished Black 2 to almost total completion. It is easy to get why this wasn't everyone's cup of tea. gently caress getting Challenge mode though. I really could not be bothered to go through the motions to get it, so it will be interesting to see Red play through on increased difficulty.

That Asperatia theme is easily one of my favorite starting town themes. I'm glad that Black/White 2 continued the gen 6 trend of great music.

QuietMisdreavus
May 12, 2013

I'm fine. Nothing to worry about.
I bought a copy of White 2 when it came out, but I never beat my copy of White 1, so I never even started this. With what people are saying about what's changed, though, I may play this anyway.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
One of the most memorable things about BW2 for me was that the day after it was released, PETA released their own Pokemon protest game, "Pokemon Black and Blue". I have no idea why they decided fictional creatures needed defending, but they did it anyway. They even decided to make another one around the release of X and Y. Fortunately the opinion of the internet towards both games seemed to be a resounding "this is stupid".

I didn't play either game to avoid giving PETA any of my patronage, but if you decide to look them up beware of cartoonishly abused Pokemon and evil caricatures of trainers from the first game all doused with liberal amounts of blood.

Cyphoderus posted:

This is actually a thing, by the way. Serpentia, the group with the "classical snakes", is nested within the lizards and there's a lot of middle ground between the two.

Neat!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
All I know is I got to the second gym and then was immediately sidetracked by one of the new features in this game. Several days later I emerged with the game completely broken over my knee.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Choco, if you really want to take your game to the next level, you should consider calling your team :nitecrew:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
For the people saying they couldn't get into B/W2 due to it being so samey compared to B/W, have you never played Emerald after Ruby or Sapphire, or Platinum after Diamond or Pearl? :psyduck:

They're literally the same game with minor tweaks to the story to fit having all three legendaries, along with some extra post-game stuff and NPCs to help with online play. The differences between B/W and B/W2 are staggering in comparison to the other generations for a set of Pokemon games.

I do have to agree that the story in the sequels is weaker than in B/W, and that Hugh is, well, Hugh, but at least they had consequences of events from the first games, as railroaded into them as you were, carry over into the second set. There's also some story events that we'll see later on that were surprising to see in a non-offshoot Pokemon game.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

BW2's Important Opponent Battle songs are all really great with a single notable late-game exception.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Onean posted:

For the people saying they couldn't get into B/W2 due to it being so samey compared to B/W, have you never played Emerald after Ruby or Sapphire, or Platinum after Diamond or Pearl? :psyduck:

Yes, and BW2 came after those games, so there's no reason it shouldn't be something more :D

But really the game's not totally awful or anything I was just expecting more I guess, which I really shouldn't have been in hindsight.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Ephraim225 posted:

Yes, and BW2 came after those games, so there's no reason it shouldn't be something more :D

But really the game's not totally awful or anything I was just expecting more I guess, which I really shouldn't have been in hindsight.

Yeah, I'd have liked to see more as well. Hopefully that'll happen eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
B2/W2 have so much better post-game than B/W. That on its own was enough to warrant a purchase for me.

• Locked thread