Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BlueDestiny posted:

One really odd thing about BBI I'm noticing are pawns flat out refusing orders. Most of the time when I yell at them to come they stand and fight instead, to the point where I'm actually seeking out guardian pawns because it's the only way to get them to help break the instant-kill grapples or to stop hitting the condemned gorecyclopes.

Daimon was a pretty cool fight, but I had to cheese him with great cannon. Once I get better gear I think he'll be a fun fight with a sword-n-board or as a climber.

I've had good luck with Scather pawns freeing me from Maneaters, but nothing I do can make a pawn reliably even try to save me from the Eliminator stomp. That's some sincerely frustrating stuff.

Also, have you fought Daimon's second form yet? If so, I'm curious how Great Cannon works against him, since I haven't fought him as a Mystic Knight and I'm afraid I'll have to run around too much to be able to pull it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Genocyber posted:

Protip: use throwblasts. It takes ~20 to kill the Gazer once you've exposed his eye. And it just so happens you can get 20 for free from the first refuge place with Barroch. They even respawn, after a couple of days.

e: Also make sure to use a Martyr's Talisman (Barroch sells 1 every couple of days) before killing it to get more EXP.

Thanks, this was the key to dealing damage reliably. Downed it with one of those big tentacles and that was the fight pretty much.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The Gazer kills itself if you're patient. Once you hack away all of its tentacles, it will regrow them, but 4 of them will remain on the ground charging a massive magic nuke. Kill those 4 tentacles and not only will it stun the Gazer, you can whack the orb it was charging like a Great Cannon, and it wrecks the poo poo out it.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
The problem was that I was level 21 at the time so I couldn't even dent the tentacles, throwblasts of course destroy them but I was saving those for the eye.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

BlueDestiny posted:

MA's actually get the Curse debuff as a staff skill, which reduces stats by 40% and causes the cursed target to take 40% more damage :eng101:

It probably is resisted by almost everything though, like most of the debuff spells :eng99:

Keep in mind you can just carry a stave in your inventory and swap it out during combat if you need to.
Who needs debuff spells when you can throw skulls to inflict curse! :pseudo:

Zurai posted:

I was a Magick Archer, who can't use the specialized arrows. I also didn't have any Periapts on me since I didn't think he'd be that much harder to damage than everything else.
Prior to being strong enough to kiss him to death without periapts, my strategy was to stand in the entrance or go to the far end, lure him into that tight spot, and spam Ricochet Hunter (with mushrooms/Liquid Vim on hand). It works well at stunlocking him to death.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Well, since I've got DA free on PS+, I'm gonna give this another shot. I only got an hour or two in the first time I tried before being distracted away, before Dark Arisen was out. While I'm poring through the (expansive!) OP, is there much I should know about the game or do right away?

Also, suggestions on the ever subjective fun of vocations or whatever? I am awful and have polished the art of indecisiveness to a fine sheen. :(

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Magick Archer

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Magick Archer is really, really fun. It's got a dodge roll for not getting splattered by boss attacks, it can use a variety of melee attacks (and some cool dagger-based spells), and has extremely powerful ranged attacks. Assassin is good too; it doesn't have any magic at all, but it does have a huge variety of skills available to it and is even more dodgy than the Magick Archer.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Also, suggestions on the ever subjective fun of vocations or whatever? I am awful and have polished the art of indecisiveness to a fine sheen. :(

Anything that's not Fighter, Warrior, Sorcerer, or Mage. Sorcerer is just point and shoot, mage is just a worse sorcerer, Warrior is fun, swinging a large sword, but it gets monotonous, and Fighter is also fun but doesn't get too many really good skills.

I would start as Strider then switch to Assassin once you have unlocked the ability to do so. They can use bows, shields, swords, and daggers, and get a bunch of fun skills (such as a parry move for both daggers and sword).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

My favorites are Mystic Knight, Magick Archer, Assassin, and Sorcerer. Sorcerer looks like it's boring, but once you start getting the big spells I think it opens up a ton, and it presents a very different kind of challenge than most other vocations. The pace changes pretty dramatically, because the goal of a fight isn't to get in there and mix it up: it's to find the precious time to cast your single battle-ending spell before it gets interrupted.

But I like the other three more.

If you're indecisive, go for the Assassin. You can use swords, shields, bows, and daggers, and use them all very well. Assassin's mobile, powerful, and a whole hell of a lot of fun.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

If you spec for it, you can pommel strike Eliminators so hard they'll get knocked over out of a running tackle as Warrior :black101:

I think I'll have to quit for a bit though. The second run of BBI is making me rely on pawn support but the AI breaks too badly here. Mages with only buff spells that spend the whole fight shooting staff bolts, striders standing around shooting fivefold instead of grappling, and rangers mixing it up in melee.

:shepicide:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Absolutely loved playing as Sorcerer, Warrior and Mystic Knight. Had no fun with anything that dual-wields or shoots a bow.

Well, Magick Archer was ok I guess.

Just mess around with them all, there's bound to be a couple you really like and will click with.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Immolation is pretty great.

If you take all the strength buffs and some high quality regular daggers, you can make a gorecyclops kill itself when it grabs you.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I love that the gorecyclops' greatest weakness isn't frost, but its ridiculous size. It's scary at first seeing how big it is until you realize you can just chill in a doorway and shoot stuff at it until it dies.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

sitchelin posted:

I love that the gorecyclops' greatest weakness isn't frost, but its ridiculous size. It's scary at first seeing how big it is until you realize you can just chill in a doorway and shoot stuff at it until it dies.

You can do that to some other monsters in BBI, too. Cockatrices can't fit through most courtyard doorways and Cursed Dragons get all tangled up in the geometry of half the rooms I've seen them spawn in. It's also possible to get Death stuck on a balcony above or below you and use Ricochet Seeker to hurt him until he goes away; he'll keep scanning the area with his yellow lantern then trying to put you to sleep, but even if his head is sticking up through the floor he can't affect you with either the lantern or the scythe.

Cloche
Mar 4, 2010

Just beat the game/post-game. Whoa. That went to a place that I really wasn't expecting. :stare:

I guess I disconnected at the wrong time or something, because the Seneschal turned out to be the guy from the very beginning - my friend said that if you're online it's actually the last person who beat the game/their pawn? That's really awesome. Oh well, from what I've seen of pubbie pawns it's probably for the best that it wasn't a 4 foot girl in a bikini or something. Probably would have killed the cool vibe a little bit.

Still though, what a good game.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Cloche posted:

Just beat the game/post-game. Whoa. That went to a place that I really wasn't expecting. :stare:

I guess I disconnected at the wrong time or something, because the Seneschal turned out to be the guy from the very beginning - my friend said that if you're online it's actually the last person who beat the game/their pawn? That's really awesome. Oh well, from what I've seen of pubbie pawns it's probably for the best that it wasn't a 4 foot girl in a bikini or something. Probably would have killed the cool vibe a little bit.

That only happens on repeat playthroughs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cloche posted:

That's supposed to happen on your first playthrough. If you're offline and get to that part on your second playthrough, the Seneschal and his/her pawn will be your own Arisen and pawn. It owns.

The ending's quite a trip, huh? I really wish more of the game had been like the post-game and Bitterblack--it has such a unique feeling and engages really directly with the parts of the lore that make Dragon's Dogma special. The main game often feels pretty standard, though it's enlivened by some pretty great combat. Now you can clamor with the rest of us for a sequel!

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Got up to where you get the final quest and just found the Witchwood or whatever finally. They gave me quests about it when I first entered Gran Soren but they weren't on the map, what the hell.

This game is pretty cool but holy poo poo every quest that doesn't involve killing monsters is SO BAD. The stealth quest where the wiki said to avoid guards and detailed their routes and poo poo? I just ran right past them and they didn't notice me.

Also there was a quest with a basilisk where it's in town tromping around a field. There were 3 circles on the map, so I was like "What's this? Some gimmick I have to use to kill it?" It was some boxes so I destroyed them, some items came out, and the circle disappeared. So I went and destroyed the other two. Then at the end of the fight the dude yelled at me and said how disappointed he was in me that I failed to protect the goods THAT WERE NEVER MENTIONED BEFORE. Is it because I teleported into the city and missed some event at the gates?

Either way, combat is fun and the pawn system is fantastic, but everything involving talking to NPCs and quests is really awful.

Ara fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 13, 2013

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zurai posted:

You can do that to some other monsters in BBI, too. Cockatrices can't fit through most courtyard doorways and Cursed Dragons get all tangled up in the geometry of half the rooms I've seen them spawn in. It's also possible to get Death stuck on a balcony above or below you and use Ricochet Seeker to hurt him until he goes away; he'll keep scanning the area with his yellow lantern then trying to put you to sleep, but even if his head is sticking up through the floor he can't affect you with either the lantern or the scythe.

Death can't fit through the doors either if you're down in an arena when he spawns. His scythe doesn't seem to phase through walls or anything so you're pretty safe.

Do the chests behind the Moonbeam Gem doors never reset? They're always empty when I go through the dungeon, even when everything else has reset or if I've killed Daiman.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 13, 2013

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Death can't fit through the doors either if you're down in an arena when he spawns. His scythe doesn't seem to phase through walls or anything so you're pretty safe.

Do the chests behind the Moonbeam Gem doors never reset? They're always empty when I go through the dungeon, even when everything else has reset or if I've killed Daiman.

They only reset if you go to NG+, which, of course, resets everything except your level and inventory. Moonbeam Gem chests contain the same thing every time, so they're basically just a few guaranteed pieces of loot.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
Continued lowbie adventures in BBI:

Took on zombie pope and its sidekick at lvl 37, started the fight by taking one health bar off pope with Terrible Bend (crazy damage). Once they combined their powers roughly 10 throwblasts were enough to retire the lovely dragon. The rest of the pope's hp bars were devoured by liquid vim + blast arrow spam via fivefold shot.

Dodging corrupted pawns I managed to make it to the arena before fallen city where the spectral armor went down (literally) with one Terrible Bend headshot. Fallen City itself relinquished some lv.2 armors, a weapon and some gear. Purified they were a magic bow, 3 cursed king's belts and duplicate rings which I already had meaning it was all poo poo.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
You should save before you purify and godsbane, switch vocations (you and/or your main pawn's) and repurify. If they're all undesirable, oh well.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

They only reset if you go to NG+, which, of course, resets everything except your level and inventory. Moonbeam Gem chests contain the same thing every time, so they're basically just a few guaranteed pieces of loot.

Weird that they're static, I don't think I got anything of note from them. There's still one or two doors left closed I think but unless they have something nice I don't see the point.

Nahxela posted:

You should save before you purify and godsbane, switch vocations (you and/or your main pawn's) and repurify. If they're all undesirable, oh well.

Why?

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

The items are identifed based on you and your pawns class as they make it so you get an item that is useable by you or your pawn. The hybrid vocations can screw with this though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ah. So I'd be more likely to get a magic item if I had myself and my pawn as a mage, or a physical thing if we were both warriors? I'd guess the strider/ranger would be off on their own as well, but what of the hybrid classes? You say they screw with this, is a magic knight classified as a mage or something like that?

Also what would the godsbane do in this? Why couldn't you just reset the game like you would for a chest?

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 14, 2013

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

think of warrior/fighter as red, strider/ranger as yellow, sorc/mage as blue

magic archer can get yellow or blue items
magic knight can get red or blue items
assassin can get red or yellow

Scob fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 14, 2013

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's just the color of the class, then. Makes sense.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Nahxela posted:

I did save to check the results but according to my own rules I only utilize strider/ranger/assassin and magic bows are in the "yellow class" slot.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Also what would the godsbane do in this? Why couldn't you just reset the game like you would for a chest?

Godsbane allows you to suicide and thus get the load prompt immediately which is much faster than choosing quit without save -> main menu -> load game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Ah. So I'd be more likely to get a magic item if I had myself and my pawn as a mage, or a physical thing if we were both warriors? I'd guess the strider/ranger would be off on their own as well, but what of the hybrid classes? You say they screw with this, is a magic knight classified as a mage or something like that?

Kind of. Basically each time you purify you get an item from a certain grouping. The order these groupings come in is determined by your save file; this is why giving away or receiving cursed items from others cannot influence what you get from purifying. However, what specific item you get depends on the vocation of you and your main pawn at the time of purifying. If both of you are red classes (warrior, fighter) you might get a sword or mace, if both of you are yellow classes, you may get daggers of a short/long bow.

Hybrid classes obfuscate things a bit; take MA for example. Magick Bows are counted as a yellow type item, but MA themselves are counted as blue, IIRC, so being a MA would decrease your chances of getting a magick bow.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

^^ The real problem with hybrid vocations is that they count as both colors at once. You can still get a magick bow by purifying as a Magick Archer, but you also have a chance at a staff or archistaff, too.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Weird that they're static, I don't think I got anything of note from them. There's still one or two doors left closed I think but unless they have something nice I don't see the point.

The items in them normally come from purifying Bitterblack Weapons and Armor Lv.2, so some of them are pretty all right, but yeah, it's nothing amazing.

Manatee Cannon posted:

It goes like this:

When you pick up a Bitterblack Weapon, Armor, Gear, or Novelty, the item that it will be when it's purified is already decided. Sort of. When it comes to the weapons, armor, and gear, what vocation you and your main pawn are can influence the result. It'll always be one of three items, but one of the items is "red," one is "yellow," and the last is "blue."

Every vocation has a color. Fighter and Warrior are red, Strider and Ranger are yellow, and Mage and Sorcerer are blue. When you purify a Bitterblack Weapon, Armor, or Gear, it will always be something that can be used by a vocation that shares a color with either your vocation or your main pawn's vocation. This is why it's helpful to be the same color vocation when you purify: you can control the result a little bit this way. Of course, it only controls the color. Even if you're both Fighters, you could still get a Warrior weapon, because that's red, too.

Hybrid vocations mess with things a little bit. When it comes to the actual items, Mystic Knight weapons (maces and magick shields) are "red" and Magick Archer bows are "yellow." (Assassins use swords and shields, which are red, and daggers and shortbows, which are yellow, but that's not any different from the normal versions.) Meanwhile, Mystic Knight rings (Bitterblack Gear) are blue, Assassin rings are red, and Magick Archer rings are yellow. However, the real way they mess with the process is that they count as both colors at once for the purpose of purifying. So if you're a Magick Archer and your pawn is a Sorcerer, when you purify you have a chance at getting a blue item or a yellow item.

So if you're looking for, say, a magick bow for your Magick Archer, you should both be yellow vocations, because that's what magick bows are, but you should not be a Magick Archer because you might get a staff or something instead. Nahxela's advice is good because you can basically save before you purify, see what the results are, then reload your save and change vocation colors and check again, and then do it a third time, and then you can see what you like best from the array.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Also, Godsbaning yourself is always funny.

"NOO, OPEN YOUR EYES"

mirarant posted:

I did save to check the results but according to my own rules I only utilize strider/ranger/assassin and magic bows are in the "yellow class" slot.
rip

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Saved up 10 lvl 2 Bitterblack Weapons. Went red/red, no magebreaker/cursed light. gently caress everything. I want to play Mystic Knight now, I want to be overpowered as something else.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 14, 2013

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

sitchelin posted:

Saved up 10 lvl 2 Bitterblack Weapons. Went red/red, no magebreaker/cursed light. gently caress everything. I want to play Mystic Knight now, I want to be overpowered as something else.

That's harsh. I've gotten a few Cursed Lights, but never a Magebreaker.

I'm having the same problem now trying to get a Blackwing Bow from Lv.3 weapons. I've seen so many stupid Revenant Wails in the past few days that I'm starting to resent the very existence of the Ranger vocation.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've gotten to the point of making my main pawn but now I'm a little lost. Do I get a chance to pick his class after answering these inclination questions? What class should I pick, if it matters hugely? (I picked Strider for myself, per the recommendations here--and he's named Jurgen so in lieu of a melta gun I figure a staff with which to burn things makes just as much sense :v:)

Any inclinations I want to set/avoid in particular or is that class dependent?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Pawns can be any class aside from the double-colors (Assassin, mystic knight, magic archer). You can swap their class around as much as you like at certain locations, just like you can to yourself.

Try to make your pawn something that you either need all the time, or give it a complimentary job. If you're a mage, you might find a meatshield useful, for example.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Another important thing to consider with pawns is the skill setup. Almost every skill has use, but a large number of them are very dependent on timing and positioning, both of which pawns are generally terrible at. Try to keep it simple and avoid stuff that relies on big chargeups, team-combo moves, or interrupts.

Inclinations to avoid are Guardian and Nexus. Healing mages can have medicant, but keep it off offensive pawns.

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos
So I beat the game/post-game and want to play BBI! I know it's accessible from the very beginning, but is there any advantage to playing through the main campaign again and getting to post-game before starting BBI (other than going in with more EXP/monies)? Conversely, is there any particular reason not to do BBI before reaching post-game?

EDIT: VVV Yeah... already did that, true ending and all. Oops.

GFBeach fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 14, 2013

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Being able to get wakestones from the postgame can really help in BBI and if you go into new game + you lose access to the Everfall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

GFBeach posted:

So I beat the game/post-game and want to play BBI! I know it's accessible from the very beginning, but is there any advantage to playing through the main campaign again and getting to post-game before starting BBI (other than going in with more EXP/monies)? Conversely, is there any particular reason not to do BBI before reaching post-game?

[b]EDIT[/b}: VVV Yeah... already did that, true ending and all. Oops.

No, if you're a completionist it's probably better to go into BBI before you reach postgame again. A handful of quests there can only be done at specific points in the story.

• Locked thread