Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
Alder. :allears:

Yeah, the handholding at the beginning of the game is kind of unbearable! I guess I forgot about that part.

EDIT: There's a new update on the previous page, if you see this post first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Fun fact: The recently released Pokemon XY added a new type to the roster, the Fairy Type! As part of that a bunch of old monsters got retconned into being Fairy and Mawile is one of them. While Mawile is a pure Steel type in this game, in XY and all future games it's typing is now Steel/Fairy. :eng101:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Captain Fargle posted:

Fun fact: The recently released Pokemon XY added a new type to the roster, the Fairy Type! As part of that a bunch of old monsters got retconned into being Fairy and Mawile is one of them. While Mawile is a pure Steel type in this game, in XY and all future games it's typing is now Steel/Fairy. :eng101:

Which is, by the numbers, the best defensive typing in the game, so Mawile is a total boss.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Always loved Mawlie. I used him in Emerald for a long while, mainly by hacking an egg in. I just really wish that it had a better movepool, but it's a great staller. Can never go wrong with it, especially since it's fricking adorable.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

alcharagia posted:

Which is, by the numbers, the best defensive typing in the game, so Mawile is a total boss.

I went into X and Y blind and didn't realize the typing had changed, and was very mad upon finding out that it didn't have a weakness to Fighting anymore in the middle of a battle. :argh:

But Mawile has always been one of those pokemon that I think has a cool design, but just never actually used one in my party. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out here.

SWMadness fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 13, 2013

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Aww, too bad to see Curly go.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
...I'm so confused now.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Wounded Land posted:

...I'm so confused now.

Vinny's Snivy got switched by problematic hardware with a Mawile from some family in Pennsylvania.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Wounded Land posted:

...I'm so confused now.

Choco traded his starting Snivy for a Mawile (presumably after getting a second Pokemon so that he could make a trade.)

That or switched the codes around to change Snivy into a Mawile so he wouldn't be constantly running with a Pokemon that gets bonus experience from trading.

I hadn't seen the N scene before though, I presume that only shows up with data things from the X/Y game?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

ApplesandOranges posted:

Choco traded his starting Snivy for a Mawile (presumably after getting a second Pokemon so that he could make a trade.)

That or switched the codes around to change Snivy into a Mawile so he wouldn't be constantly running with a Pokemon that gets bonus experience from trading.

I hadn't seen the N scene before though, I presume that only shows up with data things from the X/Y game?

If you do a game link with a prior B/W game that beat the main story, a few things unlock in your run of B2/W2, such as flashback scenes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Chorocojo posted:

"In fact, I'm pretty sure I have a book you really need to read."
This is the first one of Choro's callbacks to his previous LPs that I've actually gotten!

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I was ready to be disappointed that you decided to use a normal starter this time around. Then this update happened :allears:

Let's hope Mawile doesn't end up like that Totodile...

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Super Jay Mann posted:

Let's hope Mawile doesn't end up like that Totodile...

I hope he does, only here, Vinny isn't scared off by it...

McGwee
May 1, 2012

:allears: I love seeing which Pokemon you randomly replace your starter with.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ummmm
What.

How did a Mawile just poof out of existence.

What the hell did I miss? Or am I juts dense?

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Ummmm
What.

How did a Mawile just poof out of existence.

What the hell did I miss? Or am I juts dense?

Yes.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012
Does Alder jump at everyone that walks down the road or just people with hair as crazy as his? Although people only ever seem to move in reaction to whatever the player does so he might have been waiting there for a while either way.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Chorocojo posted:

"Can't mess this up. Not again. C=<"

This is just adorable. :3:

And hey a Mawile! Haven't actually used one before so it'll be neat seeing it be a main 'mon for once.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Blue Ghost posted:

Does Alder jump at everyone that walks down the road or just people with hair as crazy as his? Although people only ever seem to move in reaction to whatever the player does so he might have been waiting there for a while either way.

Protagonist and orphan sense.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Mawile, nice. Not used one properly before, should be interesting. And American Purrloins are just too lazy to stand on their hind legs like the other ones I see. :v:

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Chorocojo posted:

The visual style of these is fantastic, Red.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Freaking Mawile, yes. Dunno why, but I just love the little thing with a mouth bigger than it is growing out the back of its head. :allears:

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
This is another thing. Alder just shows up to talk to you for no reason. It's like Vinny is being watched. Very. Closely.

On a (slightly) less creepy note...Mawile? Hm. This'll be interesting, though I'd have saved Mawile for X/Y, where it has a new type. Anything to make BW2 crazier, though.

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.
This is the perfect way to get an interesting pokemon

Mawile's one of those pokemon that gets better every game its in, after a bit of a lackluster start in R/S/E it keeps picking up this and that to become stronger. Next game it gets a massive buff, but they're perfectly serviceable now

Also, they're awesome

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This is some frankly ridiculous hand-holding. How much have we actually moved around under our own power?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Glazius posted:

This is some frankly ridiculous hand-holding. How much have we actually moved around under our own power?

It's been a while since I played the opening here so I could be misremembering, but it's no worse than any other opening in a Pokemon game. They've just condensed a lot of the stuff to the first town so you don't have to wait till the second town for your running shoes or to learn that Pokecenters are a thing, and that they now contain the Poke Mart if you skipped B/W. There's been a decent amount of walking that's been cut out so far, most of which is under your own power, I'm guessing due to Choro wanting to speed things up a bit.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Glazius posted:

Oh, you can move around all you want in town! You're just not allowed to leave until you listen to all the tutorials that you obviously know about since why would you buy Black 2 without playing Black first I mean it's common sense.

Likewise you get trapped in the pokecenter until you're done being condescended to. So it's less "we will drag you around" and more "run around until you stumble upon the next tutorial". Still stupid, but with the illusion that you're not wasting your life.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
There's a few NPCs you can talk to but they're the same ones that are in every game: "you can jump down ledges." "trainers can carry six pokemon" "isn't technology amazing?!" etc. I actually cut out a fair bit of tutorial dialogue, which is the sad thing.

Really that's about it for the hand-holding, to be honest. It mostly gets it out of the way all at once.

The only walking that has been cut out is the walk east along the very short route. I haven't shown off Aspertia because we have to go back later. The first gym is in Aspertia.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

KataraniSword posted:

Oh, you can move around all you want in town! You're just not allowed to leave until you listen to all the tutorials that you obviously know about since why would you buy Black 2 without playing Black first I mean it's common sense.

Likewise you get trapped in the pokecenter until you're done being condescended to. So it's less "we will drag you around" and more "run around until you stumble upon the next tutorial". Still stupid, but with the illusion that you're not wasting your life.

Except there's already been multiple people commenting on how they skipped B/W to wait for the third game, only to be surprised by getting sequels instead of Grey. There's also a need for considering that, even being titled Black 2, this will be some kid's first game, bought by a parent paying next to no attention aside from how Pokemon is popular with kids.

Really, I can see some complaints in other Nintendo series, like Mario & Luigi Dream Team, but Nintendo has said that the most common complaint they get on their post-gameplay surveys on Club Nintendo were people mentioning how little their games walked people through basic game mechanics. What have we seen so far? We've had our opening introduction to Pokemon right at the beginning, what a Pokedex is and then getting one, our first battle, what Pokecenters are and what they contain, our running shoes and Town Map and how to use them, how to catch a pokemon and then finally a direction for us to go. The worst parts were Hugh leading you to Bianca and then Bianca using a fade-to-black teleport to get you to the Pokecenter.

Edit: Beat by a better post from Choro.

Chorocojo posted:

The only walking that has been cut out is the walk east along the very short route. I haven't shown off Aspertia because we have to go back later. The first gym is in Aspertia.

I thought there was more walking to do before that, but I must have smashed sequences together somewhere.

Onean fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Nov 13, 2013

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I'm sorry I was just glad that Black 2 has the decency to go "Here's everything, gently caress off" my only question is if they're gonna give the running shoes this early why not... I dunno. Just have the trainer always have them?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone else only use bog standard pokeballs to capture things they plan on using in their lineup? God drat it, there's only one pokeball as far as I'm concerned and it's red and loving white.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Chorocojo posted:

There's a few NPCs you can talk to but they're the same ones that are in every game: "you can jump down ledges." "trainers can carry six pokemon" "isn't technology amazing?!" etc. I actually cut out a fair bit of tutorial dialogue, which is the sad thing.

Really that's about it for the hand-holding, to be honest. It mostly gets it out of the way all at once.

The tutorials are the worst thing in Pokemon. The absolute worst is unskippable minigame tutorials, that aren't even realted to the main game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

Does anyone else only use bog standard pokeballs to capture things they plan on using in their lineup? God drat it, there's only one pokeball as far as I'm concerned and it's red and loving white.
I'm the opposite. I dislike using bred Pokemon in the main game, because I like having as much variety in the balls as possible, ever since they took away Ball Cases. Starter in a Pokeball, reliable-early-game-guy (Stoutland, etc) in a Premier Ball, guy-from-Victory-Road in a Dusk Ball, etc.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

They really should let you use some sort of pokeball customization.
Even if it was just a little box/npc that let's you say "I want my egg-hatched Snorlax to come out of a Heavy Ball. For he is large, you see."

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.

Eifert Posting posted:

I capture everything in plain old Pokéballs for three reasons: The challenge of using one of the weaker balls, having all my balls match, and because it saves money.

The money became pretty important in X/Y because I blew all money on clothes but that's a whole other story.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Chorocojo posted:

I've actually quite liked the "isn't technology amazing" person through the generations. Just how it went from technology in the game with the PC Storage, and then as the Online features really took off it ends up talking about real world things like that. Tech obsessive is just as much a vital character in these games as Six Magikarp Guy to me. Always nice to see them.

And on the subject of balls: Quick Balls, Dusk Balls. Those are the main ones. Work the best, and look pretty great too. Pokeballs are for boring losers, so there. See every other trainer in the game. Luxury Balls are probably my favourite for looks though. Well, that was a load of balls about balls. Balls.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's really no reason why you shouldn't be able to transfer your Pokémon into a new ball after capture other than Game Freak being slow on the uptake.

You should be allowed to move your Pikachu from a Pokéball to a Dusk Ball, but at the consequence of losing the original ball and using the ball you select. They might get that in there in a generation or 5 from now.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Aurain posted:

They might get that in there in a generation or 5 from now.
For one game, and then remove it for no reason and never mention it again.

Because that is what GameFreak does.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

McDragon posted:

And on the subject of balls: Quick Balls, Dusk Balls. Those are the main ones. Work the best, and look pretty great too. Pokeballs are for boring losers, so there. See every other trainer in the game. Luxury Balls are probably my favourite for looks though. Well, that was a load of balls about balls. Balls.

Timer Balls can be useful as well for when you get that one goddamn rear end in a top hat who won't get in the ball, stop making me burn through Ultra Balls you little poo poo! I'd hit you again, but that'd kill you outright and you KNOW I know that don't you?:rant:

Onmi posted:

I'm sorry I was just glad that Black 2 has the decency to go "Here's everything, gently caress off" my only question is if they're gonna give the running shoes this early why not... I dunno. Just have the trainer always have them?

Probably so the player knows they actually have them and can stick a tutorial in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Timer Balls can be useful as well for when you get that one goddamn rear end in a top hat who won't get in the ball, stop making me burn through Ultra Balls you little poo poo! I'd hit you again, but that'd kill you outright and you KNOW I know that don't you?:rant:

Probably so the player knows they actually have them and can stick a tutorial in.

It hardly requires telling the player that they have running shoes. Just tell them to press B to run and that's it. No need to faff around with giving them special shoes for it.

• Locked thread