Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Testekill posted:

Jesus, the number of incidents is complete bullshit. I just had my first terror mission and literally a second after finishing it I get an abduction mission.

The game now gives you a lot more missions. If you're in Classic your goal is probably to try to stop abduction missions from happening ASAP by getting full satellite coverage (unless you want to farm them for Meld/etc, then you might want to leave one continent not fully covered). You'll also want to have a B and C team unless you're getting through missions without a lot of wounded. Fortunately, the faster pace of the missions means a B/C team will naturally develop, just out of wounded soldiers being incapable of fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
^^ completely agree about the B team angle. EU it was entirely possible to have your A team fully ready all the time, and so you'd have junk for a B team sometimes when some lone grenade drops your star whatever. This forces a rotation and it's great.

Testekill posted:

Jesus, the number of incidents is complete bullshit. I just had my first terror mission and literally a second after finishing it I get an abduction mission.

I couldn't be happier about the increased rate. In EU I was rolling the globe along for days sometimes hoping for a loving UFO or a single solitary thin man picking his nose by the Alamo or a sectoid spotted in a truck stop bathroom or anything at times.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

doomfunk posted:

I couldn't be happier about the increased rate. In EU I was rolling the globe along for days sometimes hoping for a loving UFO or a single solitary thin man picking his nose by the Alamo or a sectoid spotted in a truck stop bathroom or anything at times.

I'm imagining some crazy guy making a youtube rant about Reptilian infiltrators and then suddenly an entire team of power armored commandos jumping out of the skyranger and invading his house.

"Hey, I heard you were saying something about Reptoids?"

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

doomfunk posted:

I'd be more for it if the encounter rate ramped up steadily, you know to give a sense mid-game of Earth being overrun by the aliens bringing their A-Game.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

For classic ironman I'm definitely going to rotate between at least 3 teams. There's just no way one team is enough and by month 3 two teams isn't enough.

And you go through Meld pretty fast so you have to be really loving careful with it.

They really did an incredible job of making classic progression feel tense. You don't ever get a break and the moment you do exalt shows up.

Oh and gently caress thin men. They're supposed to be infiltration units not gods of war. Imagine doing a terror mission and running to a civilian only for him to become a thin man :getin:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh and gently caress thin men. They're supposed to be infiltration units not gods of war. Imagine doing a terror mission and running to a civilian only for him to become a thin man :getin:

Jeez, that would make terror missions a nightmare.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, this has been multiple times in a row. I may just have to restart because it's just not sustainable at all. It's really frustrating because I was doing fine with Panic before the game decided to hit the gently caress You button.
It's probably some awful bug where missing one is causing another to spawn over and over.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I beelined for beams and they came in the day after my first terror mission, which I incidently also had to run with a 4-man squad as my OTS was due to be finished 3 days later. That mission was rough and intense with a ballistics 4-man squad. (Classic early game seems a bit easier?). Most of my countries are sitting on 1-2 panic, and then there is the entirety of north america sitting on 4. I have the shittiest steam placement - only one tile and it's where a satellite nexus or uplink is due. I will probably have to use an elerium reactor just because of the poo poo real estate my base started in. I haven't lost any soldiers yet, but I consistently get wounded so I have a natural B team forming. I tend to take a rookie on every mission when I get 6 man squads so hopefully I can get enough for a C team so I can avoid catastrophic failure.

I really like the new urban downed spaceship maps, I got the one on the building rooftops that was pretty fun, and first exposure to stranglers.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Testekill posted:

Jeez, that would make terror missions a nightmare.

So, terror missions would be... terrifying? :haw:

But seriously guys how do I get my soldiers to announce their overwatch like Beagle's did.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Has anyone else been having quite bad frame rate issues with enemy within? I don't really know whats going on, enemy unknown ran pretty drat well but now with enemy within its awfully stuttery. Did they add in some new graphical nonsense I need to disable that I have managed to overlook? Turning the settings down to low doesn't even seem to help.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

On a more awesome note though, nothing beats uppercutting a thin man or a chryssalid through a wall.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Testekill posted:

On a more awesome note though, nothing beats uppercutting a thin man or a chryssalid through a wall.

Punching Exalt through windows :colbert:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mr Teatime posted:

Has anyone else been having quite bad frame rate issues with enemy within? I don't really know whats going on, enemy unknown ran pretty drat well but now with enemy within its awfully stuttery. Did they add in some new graphical nonsense I need to disable that I have managed to overlook? Turning the settings down to low doesn't even seem to help.

When I had bad frame rates with EW, it seemed to be related to malware on my computer. After my wife found it and I purged it, the framerate turned was fine.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Deuce posted:

So, terror missions would be... terrifying? :haw:

But seriously guys how do I get my soldiers to announce their overwatch like Beagle's did.

Hit Y instead of double-pressing a number key to select Overwatch. If you're playing on a console then idk

Apparently there's a full set of voice clips for Hunker Down that nobody ever hears because the dedicated Hunker Down key remains broken (and is now removed altogether).

Oh yeah, protip for the Zombie Apocalypse mission: the zombies are all pre-activated :unsmigghh: So don't go clustering right next to a blind corner, fan out. Cover is totally irrelevant in that mission anyway.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Mr Dog posted:

Hit Y instead of double-pressing a number key to select Overwatch. If you're playing on a console then idk

Hitting the shortcut button on consoles does it too. I've never done it any other way so I never knew you could overwatch without them saying it :v:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Ugh, I just want a mod that removes all the aim+crit bonuses that enemies get while adding in all the cool poo poo from Impossible difficulty. :(

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Incidentally someone seems to have introduced a thinko/typo to the uscript when refactoring "Rifle Suppression" and "Suppression" into a common "Suppression" ability that can be training rouletted into any weapon; units now yell out their "being suppressed" voice clip rather than their "suppressing target" clip. That being said, I've only seen this happen on Supports so far, does it happen with Heavies too?

At least the bugs are mostly cosmetic now, much better than having a patrol teleport onto your face.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
What does Impossible add?

I have noticed that they added a bunch of new animations (my heavy throws a thumbs up after each kill, for example) but some of the old ones seem bugged. Enemies are ALWAYS doing the "argh I'm hit" animation before dying, which is loving up the ragdolling. No more floater faceplants :(

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 15, 2013

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

GenericOverusedName posted:

Some much needed month 1 difficulty! More alien health, less soldier health, less money, more panic, more alien numbers.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

MJ12 posted:

MEC stuff

This has been my experience too in the early game, to the point where sometimes have to hide MEC troopers for the remainder of a mission because they're left with one or two HP (I had really bad luck with medkit promotions in training roulette so I was stuck with a 1-use medkit for 4 HP for the longest time). They really start getting tankier once they have One for All, Damage Control, and Repair Servos. I need to go back and check to see whether or not they get a defense boost from One for All, but in my experience I've seen more shots miss them while they're in cover mode than not.

Also whoever pointed out the Proximity Mine + Grenade launcher combo really helped me out. I generally use a mimetic skin + low profile assault as a spotter for my two MECs raining 13 damage AOE artillery, and then I clean up with the snapshot/ITZ/aggression mimetic skin sniper. :black101: If I mess up, I have the heavy with grenadier + ghost grenades. Use ghost grenades, they're an amazing "get out of jail free" card for your non-mimetic skinned troops!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

MJ12 posted:

My experience is actually that MECs are surprisingly fragile. Compare, for example, an assault that goes down the full defense tree in Ghost Armor. With Chitin + Respirator
Why respirator instead of nano-vest or something?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Rascyc posted:

Why respirator instead of nano-vest or something?

Respirator gives the same HP bonus as well as immunity to strangulation and poison.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

I have noticed that they added a bunch of new animations (my heavy throws a thumbs up after each kill, for example) but some of the old ones seem bugged. Enemies are ALWAYS doing the "argh I'm hit" animation before dying, which is loving up the ragdolling. No more floater faceplants :(

A sense of crushing despair.

Aliens get bigger HP and Aim buffs, which means that the Battlescape odds are so stacked against you that you will occasionally suffer routs even with perfect tactical play. Geoscape panic runs rampant to the extent where you cannot hope to save every single country unless you get a ridiculously lucky RNG stream.

It's not literally impossible on every single game, but with a sufficiently bad streak of RNG rolls it has the potential to be.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Oh I thought he meant like some new feature or abilities show up, like mutons getting grenades on classic.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Zore posted:

Respirator gives the same HP bonus as well as immunity to strangulation and poison.
Oh neat didn't know it gave HP as well. That makes it infinitely more useful than I thought.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Oh I thought he meant like some new feature or abilities show up, like mutons getting grenades on classic.

Mutons and Cyberdiscs have grenades on all difficulties. They're just extraordinarily unlikely to use them on anything below classic as their AI only has a 50% chance to even consider using in situations where they would. Plus with the limit on number of aliens attacking you, lower stats and the chance for the AI to spend a turn doing nothing it is almost impossible for them to actually use them.

On impossible their willingness to use them is jacked up ten times from Classic. Which, ironically, makes Cyberdiscs a lot less deadly.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Portent on Impossible is physically painful. I kept starting over and over just to see if I could beat it, and I finally did. After 10 tries...

SIXTEEN Thin Men, and a Sectoid tossed in because hey, why the gently caress not? The only blessing seems to be that the thin men at the start don't patrol around, so it's easy to know where they're standing and throw a rocket their way. It would not have been possible without abusing that, foreknowledge of where each Thin Man would drop in + lucking out and getting an Assault with Lightning Reflexes as his first promotion. All told, I was probably OVER-leveled for where you most likely are at the start of month 2: two Heavy squaddies, a corporal squadsight sniper, and a corporal assault. And it was still torture.

Almost...Impossible.

Deuce posted:

You hit the dedicated "Overwatch" key instead of hitting the number twice. It's listed under your keybindings. T, maybe?

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 15, 2013

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Mr Dog posted:

A sense of crushing despair.

Aliens get bigger HP and Aim buffs, which means that the Battlescape odds are so stacked against you that you will occasionally suffer routs even with perfect tactical play. Geoscape panic runs rampant to the extent where you cannot hope to save every single country unless you get a ridiculously lucky RNG stream.

It's not literally impossible on every single game, but with a sufficiently bad streak of RNG rolls it has the potential to be.

Only a handful of aliens get any aim/crit buffs going from impossible to classic. Most keep their stats from classic, and gain HP.

The problem is really that sectoids have no business having 4 hp so you get a pretty ridiculous entry barrier to that difficulty.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Is it intentional that the EXALT guys kinda look like the dudes from that awful game, The Bureau?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

oswald ownenstein posted:

Only a handful of aliens get any aim/crit buffs going from impossible to classic. Most keep their stats from classic, and gain HP.

The problem is really that sectoids have no business having 4 hp so you get a pretty ridiculous entry barrier to that difficulty.

Impossible Sectoids are way worse than Classic Thin Men, and Impossible Thin Men are a nightmare from which I cannot escape. I honestly don't remember how I ever completed I/I.

The only way they could be more dickish is if they had 7 HP, so that a rocket couldn't one-shot them. I'm assuming they're saving that for the European Extreme DLC.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Tindahbawx posted:

Is it intentional that the EXALT guys kinda look like the dudes from that awful game, The Bureau?

It's their way of showing their opinion of that terrible game :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

TalonDemonKing posted:

or complain about PoptartFairy dying in full cover to a thin man

I'm stood right here, man. Jesus. :saddowns:

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012
I just started this on Classic, and it's been much more challenging than regular EU so far. There are sooo many missions and injuries; I keep getting nailed with abductions and UFOs 1-3 days before key research finishes (including the dreaded terror mission with ballistics only).

Bee-lined straight for a MECs of course, but as others have mentioned they definitely are not the tank characters they appear to be (I got one OHKO'd by a Chrysalid on the terror mission). They are actually kind of tough to fit into a 4 man team early on, and I felt like the spot would have been better filled with a Heavy or an Assault in most cases, but I'm realizing now I just wasn't using them correctly.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
So MECs keep all their prior promotions and ability upgrades, right? Does this mean a formerly heavy MEC can fire missiles and do bonus damage to mechanical units still, or is it limited to just the passive bonuses?

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
The french VIP mission isn't that hard if you ask me. I wiped on it the first time like most people, but the second time I just played the ground is lava and kept my mans on the rooftops, and I got through it with no problems.

gently caress sectopods though, the half damage thing is ridiculous. God forbid if you run into two at the same time, I'm lucky if I'm able to burst one down without someone almost dying. One of my mecs almost died from eating two shots to the face, so for shits and giggles I had him run up and punch the sectopod so I could see the cool animation. Then my mec died from the sectopod exploding. :psyduck:

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

RBA Starblade posted:

The game's a lot more fun now that aliens don't just teleport on top of you.

Funny you should say that, I just had a cyberdisk teleport from the very edge of my vision (not activated) to right behind my squad. Bulletstorm HEAT ammo heavies hoooo

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

So MECs keep all their prior promotions and ability upgrades, right? Does this mean a formerly heavy MEC can fire missiles and do bonus damage to mechanical units still, or is it limited to just the passive bonuses?
No they just keep their prior level. So if you convert a Col into a MEC, then the MEC is immediately a Col and can select all the abilities available to it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I would love a Frozen Synapse like replay function where you can see a mission play in real time once you finish it. Timed missions like the train would be fun to see play out.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Zebrasectomy posted:

That's like me with assaults. I have like five, and only two supports.

At least having more than one assault can be actually useful. I'm not taking four loving snipers into a mission :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I might be off the mark, but I think they may have upped the difficulty of intercepting UFOs on Impossible as well. I just lost an Interceptor to a Large Scout despite hitting every shot, which has never happened to me before.

year199X posted:

The french VIP mission isn't that hard if you ask me. I wiped on it the first time like most people, but the second time I just played the ground is lava and kept my mans on the rooftops, and I got through it with no problems.

I've heard this mentioned a couple of times, but this is really just an excellent way to die on Impossible. There's only half-cover on the roofs, which Thin Men shoot through with no problems, and they can easily run around and flank you by leaping up from the ground level.

• Locked thread