Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Dog
Jul 25, 2007
Coulson was killed by an Asgardian. In battle. Tahiti is Valhalla.

Edit: I also thought this was by far the best episode yet, with the funniest dialogue, nice character interactions and an interesting hook, but it looks like the AV Club reeeeally hated this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They didn't care for the last episode of Person of Interest either, so I'm not sure what's gotten up their butt lately.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

twistedmentat posted:

I bet they're pissed off to find out Heimdal is black.
When Thor first came out my Facebook (I live in Sweden) blew up with a ton of "I'm not racist but..." arguments about Heimdall, it was pretty hilarious.
"His name is literally Heimdall 'the whitest of the Gods'!!:supaburn:"

Though unironically I'm a but bummed that the cinematic universe is making such a big deal that they're aliens with a bunch of science. In the comics he's much more of a God in that he actually hear people praying to him and other worlds have similar aliens that watch over their respective people and planets.
The Godbutcher storyarc was a pretty cool Thor series from a couple of months ago that went into the mythology of it a bit more.
http://www.comicvine.com/the-god-butcher/4045-57054/

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

GreenNight posted:

They didn't care for the last episode of Person of Interest either, so I'm not sure what's gotten up their butt lately.

They gave this latest Agents of SHIELD a D+, it's kind of reaching to say they didn't care for the latest PoI when they gave it a B. Fair's fair, the reviewer basically slammed this episode hard.

I definitely don't think this was that huge a step back in quality especially compared to some of the earlier episodes, though I also don't think it was as good as some of the episodes prior to this. I'm still not entirely sold on Agent Grant Ward's traumatic past myself, and the antagonists of the week were just sort of...there. A bunch of generic angry Norwegians collecting the berserker staff to smash poo poo up seems pretty :effort: to me, I dunno.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Kai Tave posted:

I'm still not entirely sold on Agent Grant Ward's traumatic past myself

Dude, his oldest brother pushed him down a well, nearly let him drown and wasn't even the one that helped him out. His oldest brother even threatened pushing his other brother down if he helped. That's pretty loving traumatic. It's heavily hinted that this isn't the only event, though it seems to be the worst one.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Onean posted:

Dude, his oldest brother pushed him down a well, nearly let him drown and wasn't even the one that helped him out. His oldest brother even threatened pushing his other brother down if he helped. That's pretty loving traumatic. It's heavily hinted that this isn't the only event, though it seems to be the worst one.

Huh? I believe it was pretty clearly revealed in the later flashback that Grant was in fact the kid with the rope, being threatened by his older brother when he wanted to help the kid in the well. Sheds a hell of a light on his desperation to protect his team.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah, it turns out that the kid in the well was calling out "Grant," so Grant was the one on top. It's one of those reveal twists that Whedon shows enjoy a lot.

The thing I couldn't figure out was, was it supposed to be implied that the kid in the well drowned? We never see the rope reach him, and the final shot of the flashback was of the kid's vision going blurry as he sank.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Onean posted:

Yeah I know, there was the time that his brother ate his birthday cake too.

Look, I'm sorry, this was definitely a step up from "my brother ate my cake once" in terms of actually being something traumatic, but it still feels kind of, for lack of a better word, fanfiction-y. It's there because it needs to be there, because he needs a traumatic past to have requisite broody moments and/or ragestick-induced freakouts over. It's still not making me feel like the character has any more depth than he did before. I thought the moment in the electric virus episode where he pokes fun of himself in a goofy voice was a lot better at that, personally.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Anyone want to do me a solid and spoil the ending of this episode? My recording cut out right as May snapped the staff's three pieces together.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah I know, there was the time that his brother ate his birthday cake too.

Look, I'm sorry, this was definitely a step up from "my brother ate my cake once" in terms of actually being something traumatic, but it still feels kind of, for lack of a better word, fanfiction-y. It's there because it needs to be there, because he needs a traumatic past to have requisite broody moments and/or ragestick-induced freakouts over. It's still not making me feel like the character has any more depth than he did before. I thought the moment in the electric virus episode where he pokes fun of himself in a goofy voice was a lot better at that, personally.

I think you have it backwards. It was his brother's birthday cake and he got the poo poo beat out of him for eating some. Yeah it's pretty silly and not that traumatic but its not that bad.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Coulson revived the Asgardian, May and Ward probably had sex, Coulson had a Tahiti nightmare.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The episode's aired so I'm not sure about spoiler policies, so spoiler'd just in case.

May kicks the blonde woman's rear end then sets the staff down seemingly much better off than Ward was from just handling one piece. Ward asks her if she saw anything when she held it, then asks if so how she was able to set it down so easily. "Because I see it every day."

Coulson's hand-in-chest first aid is enough to save the Asgardian, who says that since everyone is going Asgard-crazy he's probably going to find somewhere else other than Europe to chill for a while. Coulson recommends Portland Oregon. Coulson also considers picking up the staff to see if it'll show him something about his resurrection but decides not to.

Everybody gets to spend the night at a hotel for a little R&R. Skye and Ward have a broody/mooney-eyed chat, then when Ward heads up to his room May extends him a silent invitation to spend the sort of night with her you need a "Do Not Disturb" sign for and he takes her up on it.

The stinger is Coulson having a dream about getting a massage on a tropical beach, the masseuse mentions that Tahiti Is a Magical Place, he wakes up in a sweat.

ThatPazuzu posted:

I think you have it backwards. It was his brother's birthday cake and he got the poo poo beat out of him for eating some. Yeah it's pretty silly and not that traumatic but its not that bad.

I will fully admit that I may be wrong about who ate who's cake in Ward's traumatic past, I honestly couldn't remember, so I'll apologize if I got it wrong.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ward's backstory is literally the Cadillac commercial that's been running lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVb7_1G9Mc8

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Am I the only one who thinks May and Ward did not have sex, but instead had a long discussion that amounted to a therapy session?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Thanks for spoilering that.

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009

Zsinjeh posted:

When Thor first came out my Facebook (I live in Sweden) blew up with a ton of "I'm not racist but..." arguments about Heimdall, it was pretty hilarious.
"His name is literally Heimdall 'the whitest of the Gods'!!:supaburn:"

I don't know if it's part of your point or something but that's not even what "Heimdall" means. It means something more like "world-renowned."

Kai Tave posted:

I will fully admit that I may be wrong about who ate who's cake in Ward's traumatic past, I honestly couldn't remember, so I'll apologize if I got it wrong.

You did in fact get it wrong.

greenchair
Jan 30, 2008
I thought that the Ward thing was that he pushed the one kid down the well, then the other one tried to help him so he pushed him down as well and they both drowned. So Ward murdered two children before he was 12 and is now trying to make up for it as a reformed psycho.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

PassTheRemote posted:

Am I the only one who thinks May and Ward did not have sex, but instead had a long discussion that amounted to a therapy session?

I'm with you. May and Ward are way too professional for the former to be a thing.

Edit: Actually, I think that's why Ward left Skye. He wanted to talk about it, but he knew she'd try something and needed to talk about the staff without it turning into sex. He'd have been happy to talk with her, but she wanted more than that. Since May had also touched the staff, it would also be easier to talk about.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 20, 2013

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
The implications of the scene are pretty clear. This is "Shannon got stabbed" levels of stupid. They boned. Get over it.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Billy Idle posted:

I don't know if it's part of your point or something but that's not even what "Heimdall" means. It means something more like "world-renowned."
Yeah it was kind of the point in a way. Basically everyone was going crazy with thinly veiled racism and misinterpreting mythology quotes (since everyone knows most of the Gods and mythology over here but not really in-depth) and hanging up on the "whitest of gods" part without really reading more into it.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug
What was the point of finding and joining all three parts of the staff other than giving Melinda a cool moment? Each part worked fine on its own.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

The implications of the scene are pretty clear. This is "Shannon got stabbed" levels of stupid. They boned. Get over it.

Because God forbid a Man and a Women who both are dealing with traumatic incidents talk about the poo poo they went through over some booze.

If May was a dude no one(Sane) would think they had sex. So it's completely reasonable to assume that there was no sex involved.

Myok posted:

What was the point of finding and joining all three parts of the staff other than giving Melinda a cool moment? Each part worked fine on its own.

It served two purposes. To set up the fact that Melinda has done/experienced some serious poo poo. And Deals with it every day. Which is why the Staff didn't break her mentally. And to set up Ward realizing that he doesn't have to protect everyone himself, and should get over whatever happened in his past.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 20, 2013

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Dexo posted:

Because God forbid a Man and a Women who both are dealing with traumatic incidents talk about the poo poo they went through over some booze.

If May was a dude no one(Sane) would think they had sex. So it's completely reasonable to assume that there was no sex involved.

Ok, but May isn't a dude. And beyond that, if they were going to sit and have a chat, May would've been like "Let's talk, Ward." Or she could've approached him at the bar. May's character isn't the kind to talk about stuff, period. Since when has she ever wanted to have a long chat with anyone? Ward, she barely knows. Even when Coulson wants to have deep talks, she just sits there and listens.

The leaving the door open and disappearing around the corner thing is pretty clear code.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
If May was a dude and gave Ward this look before entering "his" hotel room with strong alcohol while leaving the door ajar, I fully expect him and Ward to have had sex by the morning.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah they stepped into the bone zone.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
This is just a reminder that Ming-Na Wen is 50 years old and looks that good.

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp
Maybe the entire series is Caulson's dream and he's being given a bit of life in a VR suite in Tahiti, semi-Source Code style.

Anyway, lovely show has pulled me in. I'm Smallvilling this to the end without complaint now. :(

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

greenchair posted:

I thought that the Ward thing was that he pushed the one kid down the well, then the other one tried to help him so he pushed him down as well and they both drowned. So Ward murdered two children before he was 12 and is now trying to make up for it as a reformed psycho.

No. Grant Ward was the kid who wanted to throw down the rope, but his psycho older brother threatened to throw him down too if he did. His younger brother was about to drown so Grant started lowering the rope but the younger brother then seemed to slip beneath the water. We don't know what happened next, but the implication is that the younger brother in fact drowned and Grant has an urge to protect people by putting himself in danger because he failed to protect his brother when he had the chance to save him because he was scared for his own safety.

To summarize:

Kid in well -> Younger Ward Brother
Kid with rope -> Grant Ward
Kid who threatens Grant with getting pushed into the well himself if he helps Younger Ward Brother -> Older rear end in a top hat Ward Brother

Myok posted:

Presumably the whole was greater than the sum of its parts and the effect was amplified with the staff fully intact. And that May was able to handle it perfectly well even then.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Kai Tave posted:

This is just a reminder that Ming-Na Wen is 50 years old and looks that good.

Ha, no way. Nice.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Have none of you ever seen a woman over forty or something? Her appearance for fifty is not unbelievable at all. She looks like an attractive, fit person of age 50 looks.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

greatn posted:

Have none of you ever seen a woman over forty or something? Her appearance for fifty is not unbelievable at all. She looks like an attractive, fit person of age 50 looks.

Other people born in 1963: Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, John Stamos, Lisa Kudrow, Lisa Rinna, Helen Hunt, Edie Falco...

Yeah, 50 isn't old. They all look pretty phenomenal. (Well, Rinna's on the bubble).

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Obligatory Asian Aging Process picture:

I had really hoped they wouldn't pull a 'they did/did not shack up' scenario with any of the cast members because its so goddamned cliche. May seems like too much of a professional to let something like that happen, and for the life of me I can't figure out what good that bumping uglies would do to cure Ward's Berzerker Staff induced rage feelings. Maybe she's got the ultimate pacification/cure all snatch and all it takes is some angry sex to make Ward feel like Ward again.

So, I'm just going to interpret as 'If you want to talk, my door is open since I am too closed off to actually say it. I got a bottle of good stuff, let's get hammered and work it out.'.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tide posted:

the ultimate pacification/cure all snatch

What do you think this is? Misfits?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Tide posted:

Obligatory Asian Aging Process picture:

I had really hoped they wouldn't pull a 'they did/did not shack up' scenario with any of the cast members because its so goddamned cliche. May seems like too much of a professional to let something like that happen, and for the life of me I can't figure out what good that bumping uglies would do to cure Ward's Berzerker Staff induced rage feelings. Maybe she's got the ultimate pacification/cure all snatch and all it takes is some angry sex to make Ward feel like Ward again.

So, I'm just going to interpret as 'If you want to talk, my door is open since I am too closed off to actually say it. I got a bottle of good stuff, let's get hammered and work it out.'.

What good would bumping uglies do? It's fun and excellent stress relief! Professionals have sex all the time. It doesn't have to be a big deal. I'm having sex as I post this and it's great.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

Tide posted:

I think the "professionalism" is why he went with Mulan and not with Skye. They both seem like they could rage-gently caress each other to work out their emotions and not have some awkward lingering romance if it had been Grant and Skye.

Also I can't wait for the inevitable episode when Grant meets his older brother again. I'm betting on him being some bad-rear end of the week that's still bigger and stronger than Grant.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I'm still betting cultist or HYDRA agent or some such. The whole "don't pull him up YET" thing could just be older bro being an rear end in a top hat (over birthday cake?) but it could also be part and parcel of a program designed to mold kids into amoral badasses by HYDRA or something like that.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 20, 2013

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

greatn posted:

Yeah they stepped into the bone zone.

I have a bad feeling this is going to turn into one of those "Well, we were going to but he just ended up crying in my arms about some kid he couldn't save in his childhood." so he's all yours moments. Fitz/Simmons/Skye is going to see him leave her room and start the rumor mill which makes Skye even more moody and snarky along with general anger toward the both of them until she gets over it right about the point that he starts having feelings for her, which ultimately leads to a big fight, probably in the middle of a mission or where they get captured or something, reveal their true feelings and then we get to spend the rest of the series watching them being an annoyingly cutest couple.

Or maybe I'm just cynical and have watched too much primetime TV.

This was a good episode, I was hoping they'd keep the staff around and it would become a tool for Grant to use to deal with his past problems but also be his weapon when they needed someone to go toe to toe with someone with powers but the result with May just taking care of business sort of ruined that idea. I hope they keep the anger management issues though as that's a genuinely interesting plot point for him and shows that stuff actually matters from week to week other than scientist girl casually remarking that she hasn't talked to her parents since that time she almost died.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I believe I read that this episode was originally supposed to air as the seventh, which would explain the references to E6 and the seeming redundancy of the tag.

Also, ratings were slightly up for the first time, so it's possible that the show has finally found its level.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I want to make sure I understand it.

We have characters still referencing the fact that 2 episodes ago, a bunch of people died and 1 jumped out of a plane because of a virus that they contracted from a random piece of alien debris from a recent invasion.

So, now they are cleaning up a massive pile of alien debris from a recent invasion. LETS JUST PICK THIS poo poo UP BAREHANDED BROS WHAT COULD GO WRONG???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Toshimo posted:

I want to make sure I understand it.

We have characters still referencing the fact that 2 episodes ago, a bunch of people died and 1 jumped out of a plane because of a virus that they contracted from a random piece of alien debris from a recent invasion.

So, now they are cleaning up a massive pile of alien debris from a recent invasion. LETS JUST PICK THIS poo poo UP BAREHANDED BROS WHAT COULD GO WRONG???

Well maybe Asgardian aliens have more universal health care than space aliens.

I really thought they were going to do a wrecking crew episode when it started.

• Locked thread