Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Deeters posted:

There's also a review of the Grom, where he says "It's the right size and I don't know why anyone would buy a scooter anymore." :can:

Because they like to sit primly and not shift gears?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Slavvy posted:

For a company whose entire business is selling motorbikes, they sure do take some unbelievably lovely pictures of motorbikes they're trying to sell.

Salespeople. Not photographers.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Deeters posted:

There's also a review of the Grom, where he says "It's the right size and I don't know why anyone would buy a scooter anymore." :can:

captainOrbital posted:

Because they like to sit primly and not shift gears?

When the Vespa came out it was a 125cc manually-shifted 3-speed, which put it (on those measures) in the same vein as many contemporary motorcycles, and people bought it. And then scooters competed for another couple decades against similar-displacement, also-manually-shifted motorcycles, and people continued to buy them.

Also I'm pretty sure my seating position would be the same on the Grom as on my scooters. It looks very upright.

At least that author recognizes that the Grom is more competing against scooters than it is against motorcycles, and isn't another "but it's so small/slow/sub-600cc, it's a lovely motorcycle!" idiot.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mcy/4201999894.html

I had planned to pick that up but I had someone come to look at my car with cash in hand but I was supposed to meet up with the PO of my 675 since he just wanted to trade straight across... I waited to see if PO would go with the trade and the guy who had wanted to buy my car ended up getting a different one instead. :smith: :suicide:

Welp, today I learned selling cars is like trying to get laid at a party... take the one thrown at you instead of holding out for that one you wanted thinking you can get it done.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
As a cruiser rider :smug: I am exposed to a lot of paranoid good ol' boys that support freedom. They have been telling me Obama is working on a federal helmet law that is about to pass, THANKS OBAMA.

For anybody hearing similar things, here's the real deal.

There was a federal task force (read: group of guys in charge of a research project) that were set out to identify ways of bringing healthcare costs down. Among them was this:

quote:

The task force is ready to make the recommendation based on its belief that a universal helmet mandate would reduce motorcyclist deaths and injuries, and that mandating riders to wear helmets would result in economic benefits. The task force believes health care costs for injured helmeted riders wouldn't be as high as those of injured unhelmeted riders, and also that universal helmet laws would result in fewer missed days of work for injured riders.

Translation: After fresh research supporting the same conclusions of old research, we are preparing to formally recommend that all states mandate helmets be used. Regardless of permits, size, or whatever other exceptions to the rule may or may not exist in that state. The term 'universal' in this context means all riders must wear helmets, no exceptions. It does not mean a federal law to override state transportation laws. There is no federal law, simply new research presenting the same old findings that helmet laws save lives and money.

On a side note I really like the way AMA is presenting their position.

quote:

"The AMA strongly advocates helmet use, but helmet use alone is insufficient to ensure a motorcyclist's safety," said Allard. "There is a broad range of measures that can be implemented to improve the skill of motorcycle operators, as well as reduce the frequency of situations where other vehicle operators are the cause of crashes that involve motorcycles."

In its position on voluntary helmet use, the AMA noted that mandatory helmet laws do nothing to prevent crashes.

"The AMA supports actions that help riders avoid a crash from occurring, including voluntary rider education, improved licensing and testing, and expanded motorist awareness programs," said Allard. "This strategy is widely recognized and pursued in the motorcycling community."

They have a % of their constituency that does not support helmet laws, and they appropriately represent that. So they come out with a response that effectively says there are better ways than helmet laws states can save money related to motorcycle injury. Meaning more states like Illinois that offer sponsored MSF classes. I think it's pretty well done for being between a rock and a hard place. I really should join up.

:edit:
Meanwhile that other motorcycle rights org ABATE... continues to use language such as

quote:

Oppose all legislation and moves by legislators and government agency’s regulation that would “Mandate” helmets and other so-called safety apparel.

:airquote:so-called safety apparel:airquote:

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 20, 2013

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Halo_4am posted:

I really should join up.
Funny, I came to the opposite conclusion. Helmets are the bare minimum, if you're only riding with a helmet, you're not really being safe, and mandatory helmet laws make the same amount of sense that mandatory seat belt laws do to me. The AMA's position on that seems weak and pointless. Yes they've got a constituency who is opposed to helmet laws, but that constituency is reactionary and backwards, and I see no reason to pander to them. The only thing the AMA accomplishes is to oversee a certain amount of racing, which is why I'm a member, but I'd rather not be. Although I do like their position in favor of sponsored MSF classes, that seems quite useful.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Newbie question: Does anyone here commute in south florida? I'm thinking of getting a CBR250 (or something low powered and cheap for a taller guy) as a backup commuter vehicle, because 25 year old sports cars arent really trustworthy, and the crazy low price is appealing. Beyond a few parking lot and cul-de-sac excursions on a friends bike, i have no experiance. What really brings me here to the thread is that my dad, who is an experienced rider who lives in ohio says that the area is just too dangerous, especially for a new rider because of the local car-driving public, which i think is safe to say is not as talented as drivers in the north, or a t least ohio.

If you're from the miami-ft lauderdale area, could you chime in with an opinion on this? Can a new rider survive commuting in this area? I get my kicks with cars in the proper venues, so i'd like to think i wouldnt put myself (or others) in danger. If you know to keep your head on a swivel, keep distance from the car in front (and watch for people not braking behind) and dont ride in someones blind spot, is that enough?

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 20, 2013

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

MattD1zzl3 posted:

If you're from the miami-ft lauderdale area, could you chime in with an opinion on this? Can a new rider survive commuting in this area? I get my kicks with cars in the proper venues, so i'd like to think i wouldnt put myself (or others) in danger. If you know to keep your head on a swivel, keep distance from the car in front (and watch for people not braking behind) and dont ride in someones blind spot, is that enough?

Take the MSF course, learn there is more to it than appropriate following distance and also get a better idea of if a motorcycle is something you want to take the time with. Bonus you'll also be more more prepared for the commute should it all work out like you think it will.

People are lovely inattentive drivers everywhere.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Funny, I came to the opposite conclusion. Helmets are the bare minimum, if you're only riding with a helmet, you're not really being safe, and mandatory helmet laws make the same amount of sense that mandatory seat belt laws do to me. The AMA's position on that seems weak and pointless. Yes they've got a constituency who is opposed to helmet laws, but that constituency is reactionary and backwards, and I see no reason to pander to them. The only thing the AMA accomplishes is to oversee a certain amount of racing, which is why I'm a member, but I'd rather not be. Although I do like their position in favor of sponsored MSF classes, that seems quite useful.

I don't know, I guess I have a hard time holding it against a rights organization because one of them happens to be the right to be an idiot.

They don't deny the effectiveness of the equipment and stay grounded in reality... unlike another org.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 20, 2013

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Halo_4am posted:

They don't deny the effectiveness of the equipment and stay grounded in reality... unlike another org.
What org is that? HOG?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Halo_4am posted:

I don't know, I guess I have a hard time holding it against a rights organization because one of them happens to be the right to be an idiot.

There is an argument to be made that helmet laws are seen as a slippery slope that will eventually lead to outlawing motorcycling entirely. Moses P Lester's example of seat belts is an example of this, as the law has progressed from lap belts to shoulders to air bags to multiple air bags, traction control, ridiculous pedestrian safety standards and soon mandatory backup cameras. Automobiles can accommodate all of this stuff (albeit with significantly increased size, curb weight and reduced fuel economy and performance) but bikes arguably can't.

The helmet laws that do exist tend to be extremely hollow and arguably do little for safety regardless, if you can get away with a DOT skid lid that protects against maybe 8% of head impacts. Flaccid helmet laws only serve to show the 'epidemic' of motorcycle road death isn't curable by such measures and clearly requires more intrusive legislation (and that won't be mandating full-faces.) As the AMA suggests, actually seriously requiring that motorcycle riders have either a permit or M endorsement would likely do far more for real safety.

My state doesn't have a helmet law, and for that matter they don't seem to enforce, well, any of the existing laws regarding licensing or motorcycle condition. Or licensing and automobile condition, judging by the bazillion cars blowing oil with headlights out, except for the routine bulk license plate scanning to shake down people for overdue registration fees. We not too long ago got new laws regarding using cell phones and texting while driving, and about five minutes standing next to any major road shows how much they're being ignored. There's a whole mess of laws related to road safety already on the books that need some attempt at enforcement before farting out new ones.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Deeters posted:

For those of you who like On Any Sunday (which should be a lot of you), this month's issue of Dirt Rider is guest edited by Malcolm Smith. A good portion of the magazine is Malcolm's stories about racing and filming OAS. I thought it was a really good read.

Dude knows what's up

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
On a scale of "You will die" to "Awesome", how dumb would it be to try and take a modified 1980 CB400 to the tip of South America and then questionably further abroad? My primary concern is that the tank, once repaired, only holds 12L of fuel.

I'm spending the winter rebuilding it anyways, I hate KLR's, and I am in the process of selling everything I own so that I can do something stupid. Is this stupid enough?

Rime fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 21, 2013

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

You will die awesomely.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Rime posted:

My primary concern is that the tank, once repaired, only holds 12L of fuel.

The DRZ holds less than 10L of fuel, and Becktastic is riding one from Alaska to South America!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

epalm posted:

The DRZ holds less than 10L of fuel, and Becktastic is riding one from Alaska to South America!

That looks like a larger 4gal or so tank to me but you are correct on the stock tank size. You definitely need a large tank if you plan on doing distance on the DRZ.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I've been alerted to the fact that the Rotopax exists, gasoline issues are now less of a concern than the bike frame just snapping somewhere from age, abuse, and the weight I'll be putting on the tail.

Deathwards ho!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Post pictures of said bike please.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Rime posted:

On a scale of "You will die" to "Awesome", how dumb would it be to try and take a modified 1980 CB400 to the tip of South America and then questionably further abroad? My primary concern is that the tank, once repaired, only holds 12L of fuel.

I'm spending the winter rebuilding it anyways, I hate KLR's, and I am in the process of selling everything I own so that I can do something stupid. Is this stupid enough?

Nothing is stupid enough to make up for the raw intelligence of a good proper KLR hate.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

n8r posted:

Post pictures of said bike please.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550035

Z3n posted:

Nothing is stupid enough to make up for the raw intelligence of a good proper KLR hate.

They are too loving tall man. Just too loving tall. You stack luggage on the back and you're swaying higher than a goddamn minivan. I get seasick on the drat things.

Rime fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 21, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That idea is stupid enough to make me jealous. Bring a Jerry can it will come in handy.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Everybody read this it's important: http://rideapart.com/2013/10/how-to-pose-next-to-a-motorcycle/

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Not sure I agree with the part about burnout pics not being cool :smugbert:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Rime posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550035

They are too loving tall man. Just too loving tall. You stack luggage on the back and you're swaying higher than a goddamn minivan. I get seasick on the drat things.

Boy you really made a mess of that paint job. The stock one didn't look that bad at all.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

n8r posted:

Boy you really made a mess of that paint job. The stock one didn't look that bad at all.

The tank was rust pitting in a dozen places and came out of a salvage yard, the plastics had all been rattle canned with this thick vinyl crap that looked semen. Overall in person it looked like what it was: a wreck built out of 4 other bikes. While I did a very poo poo job, until some dick ran it over and put a massive dent in the tank last month I couldn't roll up to a stopsign without someone shouting "NICE". :colbert:

Rime fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 22, 2013

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I think my only comment to this is "lol". Not that I wouldn't like to try it. :D

http://translate.google.se/translat...ca%3D10%26w%3D3

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I think my only comment to this is "lol". Not that I wouldn't like to try it. :D

http://translate.google.se/translat...ca%3D10%26w%3D3

It's cooler than the Harley one that just let's you sit there and rev the engine at least.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I will never not laugh at this goofy fuckin helmet

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

M42 posted:

I saw a scooter dude with one of those today. Riding his little 50cc with his sneakered feet hovering an inch above the ground. I yelled at him to put his feet up (as I do) when he went by.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I see a ton of people on Ducatis and GIXXARS doing that, too. Some of them hover their feet all the way through the intersection, and I even saw one guy who just didn't put his feet on the pegs at all from stoplight to stoplight. Seems kind of weak. Me, I like to see just how slow I can go before I need to put my feet down.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Backov posted:

I saw a scooter dude with one of those today. Riding his little 50cc with his sneakered feet hovering an inch above the ground. I yelled at him to put his feet up (as I do) when he went by.

Ha, you must live in a warm area, usually it's the end of spring, early summer when those guys come out here in PA. The rare migration of the seasonal squid.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

M42 posted:

Hey now Wes Siler said it was the most badass helmet out there.

http://rideapart.com/2013/01/bell-rogue-helmet/

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
They're multiplying

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

I see a ton of people on Ducatis and GIXXARS doing that, too. Some of them hover their feet all the way through the intersection, and I even saw one guy who just didn't put his feet on the pegs at all from stoplight to stoplight. Seems kind of weak. Me, I like to see just how slow I can go before I need to put my feet down.

Ya, there's the kind that do it when they're starting. Lame, but whatever.

I am talking about the ones that literally do it the entire time they're on the bike. Seriously, they do that here. No training of any kind required to ride a 50cc scooter here and it really, really shows. Somehow most of these idiots have picked up that habit.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Slavvy posted:

"OMG do you ride a motorbike??"
"Nah I just fall over and bump into poo poo a lot."

^^^verbatim a conversation I've had IRL.

"No, I drink soup out of this."

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Hey now Wes Siler said it was the most badass helmet out there.

http://rideapart.com/2013/01/bell-rogue-helmet/

Can we keep making GBS threads on RideApart? Some of the "articles" are so bad that even Internet commenters call them out on it.

Like this one: https://rideapart.com/2013/08/16-bike-hacks-that-will-save-you-time-and-money/

Or this one, which has an alarmingly simple explanation for trail braking and a bunch of stuff everyone already knows: https://rideapart.com/2013/08/10-motorcycle-riding-tricks-you-dont-know-yet/

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 22, 2013

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
Are there any modern bikes out there with similar, classic, straight-along-the-top styling to the Triumph retro trio or the W800 with similar or larger engine apart from Honda's CB1100, Harley's XR1200, or the Ducati Sport?

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 22, 2013

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I check it about twice a week. Every time I open it, I glance at the articles, groan, close it and wonder why I can't break the habit of opening it.

It's complete and total poo poo.

The reviews are the best though. Every bike is 10/10 and also here's a truck review! a Ski-doo!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Spiffness posted:

I check it about twice a week. Every time I open it, I glance at the articles, groan, close it and wonder why I can't break the habit of opening it.

It's complete and total poo poo.

The reviews are the best though. Every bike is 10/10 and also here's a truck review! a Ski-doo!

It's like reading articles written by a YouTube commenter but with punctuation and less nastiness.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Are there any modern bikes out there with similar, classic, straight-along-the-top styling to the Triumph retro trio or the W800 with similar or larger engine apart from Honda's CB1100, Harley's XR1200, or the Ducati Sport?

Kawasaki ZRX is the closest thing I can think of. I guess the question is what's wrong with the smaller displacement classic standards?

Putting a big modern engine in that kind of frame doesn't usually end up with a bike that's very nice to ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Smudgie Buggler posted:

What's your reasoning here? Do you hate something about all seven bikes you mentioned? Or do you think that the 1000+ cc displacement isn't enough?

Like seriously that is actually quite a wide range of different motorcycles you've described so I can't figure out what exactly you're looking for.