Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

gileadexile posted:

From what I've read, what mom is telling me jives up. But I never thought social security could tell you how much you have to sell your property for. Other than the house, the rest of the property is heavily wooded and hilled, so other than HAVING the land, it's not usable without being graded and everything else.

They're not telling her how much to sell the property for. They're saying, why does this lady have this property that she isn't using when she could sell it? Basically she has this huge unused asset worth a lot of money, so why should Social Security give your mom money when she could easily get a lot of it (by selling the house)?

Not saying that I agree, but that's how they work. I don't think the Government likes to give money to people who seem to have an "extra" house just lying around. If she would have given it to you before she got on Social Security this could have been avoided.

I assume that the "getting back taxes" and "sell the house for a certain amount" is them talking about the amount she has received from Social Security so far when she technically wasn't eligible. If you sign up for government services like SS or Food Stamps or whatever, and they find out you were not actually eligible, the government can come after you and make you give that money back.

razz fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Giving your house to your kids is the easiest SSI and Medicaid scam out there. All the government agencies immediately check for it.

Hey looks at this

quote:

3. Resource transfers on or after 12/14/99

Public Law 106-169 (Foster Care Independence Act of 1999) established a period of SSI ineligibility of up to 36 months for an individual who transfers resources for less than fair market value. This provision is effective for transfers made on or after 12/14/99. SSA is still required to notify applicants and recipients about the potential effect of resource transfers on Medicaid eligibility. And SSA is still required to notify State Medicaid agencies about transfers of resources. See SI 01150.110 for instructions for processing transfers made on or after 12/14/99.

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0501150001

Not saying this applies to anyone in particular, just an example of what I am talking about. Education not advice.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
Anybody know where I can find a list of requirements for going on unemployment in Ontario? Just in case.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

tehloki posted:

Anybody know where I can find a list of requirements for going on unemployment in Ontario? Just in case.

Use the Google, Luke.
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/types/regular.shtml#eligible

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

I did find that but I was curious about the legal definition of "lost your employment through no fault of your own". Does misconduct basically cover any reason an employer gives other than "downsizing", or is there any situation where you can lose your job because they want to hire somebody else instead of you and you can still claim EI?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

tehloki posted:

I did find that but I was curious about the legal definition of "lost your employment through no fault of your own". Does misconduct basically cover any reason an employer gives other than "downsizing", or is there any situation where you can lose your job because they want to hire somebody else instead of you and you can still claim EI?

Depends what they put on your ROE, and you can still contest that. Call EI, start the process, brace for pain and New Brunswick accents.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

tehloki posted:

When you put in your claim it'll ask you a bunch of questions and give you a chance to write about what happened. For example, I technically quit my job, but I argued that I was essentially forced to quit and my claim was approved.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Wizard of Smart posted:

This is what I get for not proofreading my posts. Probation attorney is what I meant, because I tried googling how to handle things and that is what came up. I have had literally no guidance in this besides "turn yourself in" and "maybe contact a lawyer or something." My original attorney was a public defender whose name I don't remember. Is there an online resource for old cases I can browse?

Florida is generally considered a shithole of a state, but in my pro se defendant friendly state this would be fixed in the following 2 ways:

(1) call a loving defense attorney wherever the warrant is, and mail him a check.

(2) a) Call the courthouse

b) Ask for paperwork to fill out to request a telephonic arraignment on the warrant with an accompanying number that can accept collect calls (edit: that means you need to provide them a land line)

c) The motion will likely get denied in which case see (1)

d) If the motion isn't denied, then sit at that phone number on the date they give you even if you have to piss your shorts, until you get called

e) Ask for a public defender

f) Talk to your public defender

BigHead fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 17, 2013

Tojai
Aug 31, 2008

No, You're Wrong
Hypothetically, let's say someone is laid off in the state of Texas. This person has some vacation hours saved up and was told that they would receive pay for those hours in their final paycheck (nothing in writing). However, the severance package says nothing about being paid for vacation hours and merely states that the severance pay will be a certain dollar amount. Is the employee still entitled to compensation for those vacation hours, or would that be forfeited for signing the paperwork with the severance package?

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

euphronius posted:

Giving your house to your kids is the easiest SSI and Medicaid scam out there. All the government agencies immediately check for it.

Hey looks at this

Not saying this applies to anyone in particular, just an example of what I am talking about. Education not advice.

Appreciated. That was my understanding too, I just wanted to make sure. The last time the land was appraised was a few years ago. We're gonna have it appraised, then I guess get a loan and buy it. Hopefully my mom can live off the price for a while.

Like I said, we weren't trying anything illegal, she just didn't have the means or ability to fix up the house so she moved into an apartment while we worked on the house bit by bit to move into.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Tojai posted:

Hypothetically, let's say someone is laid off in the state of Texas. This person has some vacation hours saved up and was told that they would receive pay for those hours in their final paycheck (nothing in writing). However, the severance package says nothing about being paid for vacation hours and merely states that the severance pay will be a certain dollar amount. Is the employee still entitled to compensation for those vacation hours, or would that be forfeited for signing the paperwork with the severance package?

My memory of Texas payday law is a bit hazy, but I believe that employers aren't obligated to pay accrued vacation out absent a written policy to the contrary (I know they're not obligated generally: the part I'm not 100% sure of is whether a promise to do so must be in writing, though even if an oral agreement were binding, how would the employee prove it really?). The employer is probably only on the hook for whatever the written serverage package agreement stated.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Does anyone know if, in the state of Texas, I'm legally required to change my name on my vehicle registration after I get married and legally change my last name?

I went to my county tax office to try to formally change my car title and vehicle registration to my new name/address, and the lady at the desk was like
:) You know you don't have to change your title to your married name, right?
:v: Oh that's ok, I just want to keep all of my accounts under the same name.
:) Well, it's $35 you could save... most women don't change their titles from their maiden names.
:v: Uh... well I guess I won't then.

Then there was some confusion as I requested that she at least change my address/name in the registration renewal system, since they'd be mailing my renewal in a couple of months. She kept asking if I wanted to renew it now (September) and I said I'd prefer to wait until it's due (December). There was so much back and forth that I'm not sure she actually did anything for me that day.

I got my vehicle registration renewal in the mail today, with maiden name and old address still listed on it. I'm tempted to leave it as-is because I'm so tired of going to M-F 9am-4pm government offices (name changing is FUN!). I just don't want to get in trouble for outdated info if a cop or whatever needs to look up my car info when I get pulled over or something. :-/

Afterthought: are vehicle titles and vehicle registrations the exact same thing, or just related?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

drat Bananas posted:

Afterthought: are vehicle titles and vehicle registrations the exact same thing, or just related?

A title is a document of ownership. Registration is basically a driving tax per vehicle. Plus it also helps them keep tabs on you/your car.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

jassi007 posted:

it also helps them keep tabs on you/your car.

Who is "them"?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

chemosh6969 posted:

Who is "them"?

The United Nations Agenda 21 black helicopters.

Also the DMV, so they can send you the letter that reminds you to get your car's emissions tested so you don't get charged enormous fines.

Or so they can send you the fine from the red-light camera that tagged you, because otherwise it goes to the old address, who throws it away, and now you have a bench warrant for your arrest.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

chemosh6969 posted:

Who is "them"?

The government agency that issues registration? AFAIK that would be the DMV for the state you live in.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
http://www.txdmv.gov/txdmv-forms/doc_download/1001-vtr-146-change-of-address-for-texas-vehicle-registration
Fill out that form and mail it in.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

That's the form I filled out and gave to "You don't have to" lady in the first place. I guess I just got a dumbass that day, I'll have to figure out a time to go back and try again. It also doesn't have a place to indicate a name change, so that's why I went in-person.

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 19, 2013

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

drat Bananas posted:

It also doesn't have a place to indicate a name change, so that's why I went in-person.

I think you have to fill out a new Application for Texas Title for that (form 130-U on the Texas DMV website).

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Some guy in my home town recently recieved three consecutive life sentences for murdering three people 20 years ago. However, he was already serving a life sentence... also for murder, which he's been serving for the past fifteen years. My question to you law experts is this: what was even the point of bothering to hold a trial for him? He's already serving a life sentence. Unless he was going to be awarded the death penalty or something, why clog up the courts with trying him? It seems to serve no purpose and I'm pretty stumped as to why nobody is saying "Uh yeah we already got this guy".

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Prosecutors like murder convictions on their resumes.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
I like the idea of a cold case show where they try to solve grisly crimes years after the fact, but only when they involve criminals already behind bars for life.

We'll call it: Cold Case: Resumé Booster

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
It also probably makes parole harder to get (assuming parole is a possibility) and makes it harder for the prisoner to obtain release if the original conviction is later found to be flawed for some reason. It also theroretically helps give the family and friends of the victims "closure."

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 22, 2013

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
My cat may have eaten and was absolutely exposed to Difethialone in a box simply labeled 'Poison' under the radiator of a room in my apartment. Our lease allows cats, I asked our landlady before we got the cat if it would be OK to have a cat, and she has since seen and interacted with the cat -- and she never told me that there was rat poison in the apartment. It was installed just over a year ago, and my vet has treated the cat for it. Would I have a legal/moral leg to stand on here if I tell her she will be paying the ~400 dollars in vet costs that I will be racking up over the next month, or am I just upset and not thinking clearly?

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.
First off, at least your cat is alive. :3:

Did you see them put the poison there, or could it have been left from a previous tenant? If you didn't notice it, it's likely that she didn't when the last person moved out.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

The repeat murder convictions also help if there's some sort of post-conviction relief for one of the earlier murders (habeas petitions, DNA evidence, etc).

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Cruseydr posted:

First off, at least your cat is alive. :3:

Did you see them put the poison there, or could it have been left from a previous tenant? If you didn't notice it, it's likely that she didn't when the last person moved out.

I called her and she confirmed that she had it installed a touch over a year ago, she also provided me with the name of the company who installed it. They then confirmed the type of poison from my description of it. And yes, she is alive for now but rat poison doesn't kick in for a day or two -- I'll have the blood test results tomorrow.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

The March Hare posted:

I called her and she confirmed that she had it installed a touch over a year ago, she also provided me with the name of the company who installed it. They then confirmed the type of poison from my description of it. And yes, she is alive for now but rat poison doesn't kick in for a day or two -- I'll have the blood test results tomorrow.

What do you mean by "installed"? Is it like a rat trap with poison in it? A random box of poison that someone can spread when they feel like it? I'm not really clear here.

In any event, legally I think you'll have a tough time. If a child got into it, yeah, the landlord might be liable, but a pet...I dunno. I think a judge would be skeptical. Morally, it's up to you whether you want to ask the landlord to help you with medical bills.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Arcturas posted:

What do you mean by "installed"? Is it like a rat trap with poison in it? A random box of poison that someone can spread when they feel like it? I'm not really clear here.

In any event, legally I think you'll have a tough time. If a child got into it, yeah, the landlord might be liable, but a pet...I dunno. I think a judge would be skeptical. Morally, it's up to you whether you want to ask the landlord to help you with medical bills.

I mean she called an exterminator and he came to the house and placed poison in a box and then placed that box under our radiator at her behest.

I guess I'll talk to her about it but I'm certainly not trying to spend time in court anyway. Thanks dudes :)

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 22, 2013

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

euphronius posted:

Hey looks at this

I would check around and see if there are any elder law or other lawyers in your area that specialize in public benefits. I never worked with SSI when I was practicing, but I did do a lot of work with people getting on Medicaid, which had similar rules regarding house transfers. There are ways to transfer the home from a parent to a child without destroying eligibility, but you would need a lawyer to help you work it out with the SSA. I don't know how easy it will be where you live -- California is very generous with their interpretations of the rules so I think you can get away with a lot more here than elsewhere.

There are a few clear exceptions that allow her to transfer. If you are disabled, then your mom would be allowed to transfer the home to you and not destroy her eligibility. The other exceptions, which don't apply here, are transfers to a spouse or to a child who lives in the home with the parent for at least two years acting as a caregiver, if the parent goes into a nursing home.

A good attorney can sometimes make a case for the transfer if they can demonstrate to the SSA that your mom wasn't transferring the house for less than fair market value just to remain eligible for SSI, but it's hard to do without planning that out in advance.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Captain Mog posted:

Some guy in my home town recently recieved three consecutive life sentences for murdering three people 20 years ago. However, he was already serving a life sentence... also for murder, which he's been serving for the past fifteen years. My question to you law experts is this: what was even the point of bothering to hold a trial for him? He's already serving a life sentence. Unless he was going to be awarded the death penalty or something, why clog up the courts with trying him? It seems to serve no purpose and I'm pretty stumped as to why nobody is saying "Uh yeah we already got this guy".

It provides closure for the victims/society on who convicted those murders. If you don't prove the guy's guilt then you are forever going to have an unsolved murder on the books.

You might be wrong. Police have a habit of trying to pin crimes on known criminals (because they're often guilty). But they're also often not. It's really important that in order to 'close' a case you need to have a trial and an actual finding of guilt.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Any of you guys experienced with student loan settlements / workouts?

A buddy of mine in Chicago is looking for an attorney recommendation or at least a starting point, and I was realizing I didn't really even have a clue as to what specialty to recommend he look at from the Chicago bar referral service (bankruptcy, I guess)?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Tell me how hosed, someone who is totally not me, would be if they were to quit their job with appropriate two weeks notice in receiving their remaining PTO balance of $1500+. Imagine the policy roughly reads:

The PTO Policy posted:

Paid Time Off is not portable and may not be cashed out at any time. The employee forfeits all unpaid PTO hours upon termination of employment. Corporate Management does reserve the right to award pay out of unused PTO for instances when an employee has been an exemplary employee, has given ample notice of two weeks and reported for work until notice was satisfied.

An older and less "gently caress the employee" version of this policy may exist but I had to dig to even find this. Also imagine that the vague and nebulous "exemplary employee" requirement has been and is being satisfied.

edit: Tennessee

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
This evening I got a medical bill for a doctor's visit that was in March 2010. I call the office but it was already closed for the night. I'm assuming this is a clerical error as this should be ancient history. However, if they simply forgot to invoice me (which I do not think is the case), is there any sort of statue of limitations on this sort of thing? I'm not even with the same insurance company anymore, and I've closed that bank account so I can't verify that this was even paid. Hell, since then I've changed jobs twice, gotten married, and bought a house.. That's a long loving time.

Jurand
Nov 10, 2004

I watch. I see. I will take action.

I watch. I see. I will take action.

Captain Mog posted:

So they know to stop looking for the culprit for those three murders?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Totally TWISTED posted:

Tell me how hosed, someone who is totally not me, would be if they were to quit their job with appropriate two weeks notice in receiving their remaining PTO balance of $1500+. Imagine the policy roughly reads:

An older and less "gently caress the employee" version of this policy may exist but I had to dig to even find this. Also imagine that the vague and nebulous "exemplary employee" requirement has been and is being satisfied.

hosed, unless the company wants to pay the someone in question.
See: http://www.tn.gov/attorneygeneral/op/2006/op/op169.pdf
If the older policy was after 2000 but before 2006 and the employee was hired under that policy, maybe, but probably only for leave accrued during that period. (From 2000 to 2006 TN interpreted the law to require payment of PTO on discharge/resignation)

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Totally TWISTED posted:

Have you ever known anyone to actually get paid out for this?

My recommendation to said hypothetical person is to see if they can find a doctor willing to write them a note, then ride that for as long as the employer lets them.

Assuming they don't mind burning that bridge.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Totally TWISTED posted:

That sounds like a company that encourages people to go on "vacation" and then not come back because they surprise found a new job!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

New Leaf posted:

This evening I got a medical bill for a doctor's visit that was in March 2010. I call the office but it was already closed for the night. I'm assuming this is a clerical error as this should be ancient history. However, if they simply forgot to invoice me (which I do not think is the case), is there any sort of statue of limitations on this sort of thing? I'm not even with the same insurance company anymore, and I've closed that bank account so I can't verify that this was even paid. Hell, since then I've changed jobs twice, gotten married, and bought a house.. That's a long loving time.

Just to quickly follow up on this- I talked to the office this morning, and they claim that they've been sending invoices out (to what have been the correct address at the time) for the entire three and a half loving years, but for some wacky reason, they haven't gotten collections involved yet! So- assuming this is true (which I don't think it is since I've NEVER seen one until today when the post office forwarded it to my new address as of May 2013), the statute of limitations in NC for being sued for 'unpaid' medical bills (which I have probably already paid once) is 3 years. It has been 3.5 years. I'm good, right? Or am I mis-reading that law entirely?

Oh, and the woman on the phone couldn't say 2 words without "um"-ing or "ah"-ing and said that the staff that was in place at the time was no longer there and she doesn't know what their practices were, yadda yadda. But if I paid today over the phone she could give me a 25% discount! And now that we've spoken, I have until December 5th to pay up. 3.5 years is a really large grace period to wait to get collections involved, don't you think? I mean, as I mentioned, I bought a loving HOUSE since then and this wasn't on my credit report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

New Leaf posted:

Just to quickly follow up on this- I talked to the office this morning, and they claim that they've been sending invoices out (to what have been the correct address at the time) for the entire three and a half loving years, but for some wacky reason, they haven't gotten collections involved yet! So- assuming this is true (which I don't think it is since I've NEVER seen one until today when the post office forwarded it to my new address as of May 2013), the statute of limitations in NC for being sued for 'unpaid' medical bills (which I have probably already paid once) is 3 years. It has been 3.5 years. I'm good, right? Or am I mis-reading that law entirely?

Oh, and the woman on the phone couldn't say 2 words without "um"-ing or "ah"-ing and said that the staff that was in place at the time was no longer there and she doesn't know what their practices were, yadda yadda. But if I paid today over the phone she could give me a 25% discount! And now that we've spoken, I have until December 5th to pay up. 3.5 years is a really large grace period to wait to get collections involved, don't you think? I mean, as I mentioned, I bought a loving HOUSE since then and this wasn't on my credit report.

The problem with the law, is you often have to go to court or at least retain a lawyer and start the process of fighting legally to make your point. Just because they aren't legally allowed to collect doesn't mean they won't bill you, sell it to a collection agency, trash your credit, and make you pay a lawyer, do the work to get it removed, and fight them tooth and nail. Its retarded right? But hey, if you did in fact go to the doctor and did incur a bill and didn't pay it, they have little to lose and something to gain by going for it. If you can't reason it out with them why you aren't going to pay the bill and they agree, prepare for consequences.