Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Even I feel kinda old because Oblivion came out when I was 16 :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Even I feel kinda old because Oblivion came out when I was 16 :shobon:
gently caress off! This thread is depressing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was like 20 when the 360 came out. :(

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

^ :respek:

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

When I was 7 I told everyone that I wanted a PS2 for Christmas. Grandma got me a NES game from the Christian bookstore. She tried :unsmith:
Sounds like Grandma did you a favor.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Just a reminder that today is the last day for Best Buy's $100 trade-in promo for the 360 (or ps3). Just took a 20gig launch-box in and had no issues!

Normal value was listed as ten bucks!!!

pvax fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 24, 2013

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I don't plan to go to a next-gen console for at least a year or two.

Dark Souls 2 comes out in March, so that should keep me going for quite a while.

I also picked up Dead Rising 2 for free when it was available for Gold, and I haven't touched it yet.

Lots of life left in the ol' 360 yet.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I have one of those last wave of 360 Arcades right before they released the S models. I haven't had any issues with it so far, though I haven't played it for prolonged periods of time like with my first one. Would there be a reason for me to upgrade to an S model? As in, will the model I have now fail on me as badly as the launch versions?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mercury Crusader posted:

I have one of those last wave of 360 Arcades right before they released the S models. I haven't had any issues with it so far, though I haven't played it for prolonged periods of time like with my first one. Would there be a reason for me to upgrade to an S model? As in, will the model I have now fail on me as badly as the launch versions?

Probably not, my 2009 Arcade is still going strong, and while I don't play it nearly as much since I got a Slim, my kids still do and it's survived them putting quarters in the drive slot.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

raditts posted:

You guys sure know to make a man feel old.

I know :(

But I know that Elder Scrolls feeling, it's just that I was 13, kicking rear end in Daggerfall.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I never got to play Chromehounds. That's in the top 10 of my most disappointing things in 360 multiplayer I'll never get to have experienced. :smith:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Lightning Knight posted:

I never got to play Chromehounds. That's in the top 10 of my most disappointing things in 360 multiplayer I'll never get to have experienced. :smith:

I had Chromehounds but never played the multiplayer. Was it any good? It sounded pretty awesome.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Farecoal posted:

I had Chromehounds but never played the multiplayer. Was it any good? It sounded pretty awesome.

Apparently it was what Armored Core multiplayer should've and could've been, awesome squad-based mech combat based around some kind of objectives in a persistent world? That was the description given to me.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sci-fi rarely makes me happy. Chrome Hounds was too pretty and pristine. I love the look of a game like Fallout 3, Singularity, or Bioshock where futuristic stuff is decaying and covered in patches. The 360's console generation really started to make that aesthetic look good.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
I will be sad when no new 360 games are being released. I guess it's already happening with the 360 version of Zoo Tycoon being gimped etc. I don't know what my 360 body count is. I stopped counting after 4 RRoDs. I then got access to the equipment needed to fix the RRoD. 360, you made me a lot of money from repairing warranty voided consoles.

I'll never forget my first time on live with the 360. It was Uno of course. Joined some random game and this guy was talking about his castle. "Nar mate me fuckin castle, these cunts wrecked it". Good times.

I already have a backlog of maybe 20-30 games to go through and that's only going to grow as the prices drop.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Lightning Knight posted:

Apparently it was what Armored Core multiplayer should've and could've been, awesome squad-based mech combat based around some kind of objectives in a persistent world? That was the description given to me.

It was awesome and it was broken and it was overloaded with potential and when it was not broken it was amazing.

The basic idea was that the game required either the physical bombardment of the enemy base or wiping out the enemy. Victory would alter a meta overmap and occasionally lead to big unopposed boss fight and your team would win that whole war. The game had a pretty flexible garage with modular parts leading (potentially) to tons of different designs and styles of mechs. It was really fun figuring out ways to hide your cockpit in strange places or finding weapon placements that would get you the ideal salvo spread you wanted. Presentation-wise, it was big maps with 60fps and, to me, really crisp and effective visuals. Something really just felt intense using your gun camera to line up a shot while plumes of dirt kicked up from shots being fired at you. And most things could take a ton of abuse so it didn't

Unfortunately, it was horrendously broken because they really didn't address imbalances via patches successfully. The huge maps made it pretty much impossible to dynamically respond to threats on your base and little buggies with tiny jackhammers would just zip around faster than legged mechs could respond and win easily. Flavor of the months/game dominated like the Double Double (Battleship cannons with tremendous splash damage and effect) which stifled creativity. The game really demanded the kind of patch tweaking that a fighting game needed because it lived and died on the basis of it remaining competitive.

It was intense as hell when it was working and delivered on the next gen promise. If a company (not SEGA apparently) really wanted to stay up to date on keeping the broken builds under control it would have made for a great franchise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f116xf2H2fY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZuv8Cu7sjg

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The last console generation pretty much passed me by except for some Bioshocks and Mass Effects so I've decided that instead of paying hundreds of pounds for a new console and new games I'm going to go right back to the start and experience the 360 from the beginning. The games only cost £5 a pop and because I've not played many games in the last 8 years nothing feels dated! I've already worked my way through Call of Duty 2 (so good), Kameo (so-so), Gun (fun but small), Perfect Dark Zero (ok, that felt dated) and Ghost Recon AW (ughhhh). I've currently playing Burnout Revenge and having so much fun and I'm disappointed that the franchise didn't go much further :smith:

And after I'm done with that, I get to play Oblivion :dance:

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Rarity posted:

I've currently playing Burnout Revenge and having so much fun and I'm disappointed that the franchise didn't go much further :smith:

Burnout Paradise is fantastic and should definitely be on your queue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFJbE_hsQw4

Edit: Unless you meant you were currently playing Burnout Paradise and not Burnout Revenge.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ape Agitator posted:

Burnout Paradise is fantastic and should definitely be on your queue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFJbE_hsQw4

Edit: Unless you meant you were currently playing Burnout Paradise and not Burnout Revenge.

Oh it is, I was describing one more game as 'not much further'

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

If you are looking for shooters you can pick up for pennies then I would recommend Prey, The Darkness and Condemned (which isnt so much a shooter as hobo-punching simulator). All at least decent games, and if you havent been keeping up with much this gen it doesnt matter too much that they havent necessarily aged that gracefully.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm still playing my 360, despite a PS4 being hooked up on the other side of the entertainment center. The wife and I have been co-oping Diablo 3, and of course I'll never be able to completely shake my Dark Souls addiction.

The 360 was my favorite console for a long, long time. Before the DS4 came along it was my favorite controller as well. I hope the slim I got for Christmas last year lasts for many more years.

Winter Fresh
Oct 31, 2011
I was praying Persona 5 would come to the 360 and now it seems like I might need to get a ps3. If you haven't played Catherine or Persona 4 Arena they are both pretty good games worth their 20$ price tag nowadays.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I've mainly sat out this now past generation of home-console gaming but my ex-roommates had a 360 so I purchased a couple of 360 games for the hell of it (Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, which had some characters that my old PS2 version didn't have, and Doom 3 BFG edition). The only problem is that I don't really have friends that game a bunch so is there a good variety of single player games out there? I know some people complain about games being released half-assed with a bunch of DLC available afterward or relying on online opponents or whatnot, but I don't know how widespread that problem is.

I'm tempted by this 360 4 gig at Black Friday Wal-Mart for $99 but I'll probably just end up putting either a 360 or PS3 on a Christmas list. Hell if I know why I'm wanting to get into one since I still have a shitton of PS2 games I've barely touched that I really, really want to play, but there's just so goddamn many of them.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

notthegoatseguy posted:

I've mainly sat out this now past generation of home-console gaming but my ex-roommates had a 360 so I purchased a couple of 360 games for the hell of it (Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, which had some characters that my old PS2 version didn't have, and Doom 3 BFG edition). The only problem is that I don't really have friends that game a bunch so is there a good variety of single player games out there? I know some people complain about games being released half-assed with a bunch of DLC available afterward or relying on online opponents or whatnot, but I don't know how widespread that problem is.

I'm tempted by this 360 4 gig at Black Friday Wal-Mart for $99 but I'll probably just end up putting either a 360 or PS3 on a Christmas list. Hell if I know why I'm wanting to get into one since I still have a shitton of PS2 games I've barely touched that I really, really want to play, but there's just so goddamn many of them.

Depends what kind of game you're into. For FPS games there's the Bioshocks, for RPGs there's Skyrim and the Mass Effects, for open world there's the Saints Rows and GTA V. All the major games are complete experiences without DLC and for many of them you can get special editions that have the DLC included.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Rarity posted:

I've currently playing Burnout Revenge and having so much fun and I'm disappointed that the franchise didn't go much further :smith:

I may catch a little flak for this, but I found that Forza Horizon to be a similar experience in many ways if you're looking for another game to do later. Also Need For Speed Most Wanted (the more recent one) is made by the same developer as Burnout Paradise, and shares a lot of its qualities as well.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Winter Fresh posted:

I was praying Persona 5 would come to the 360 and now it seems like I might need to get a ps3. If you haven't played Catherine or Persona 4 Arena they are both pretty good games worth their 20$ price tag nowadays.

I would wait, you got plenty of time. The announcement was only for Japan, so PS3 exclusive makes sense over there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Quick question - is there actually such a thing as a good, fun wrestling game on the 360? The feminism thread managed to whet my appetite.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 25, 2013

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Darth Walrus posted:

Quick question - is there actually such a thing as a good, fun wrestling game on the 360? The feminism thread managed to whet my appetite.

I'm... really interested in how that connection was made.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Skychrono posted:

Through Rumble Roses?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Skychrono posted:

Just do a forum search on 'feminism wrestling' That will explain matters far better than I ever could.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Fiance and I are still co-op'ing Diablo 3 but the only thing left to do really is grind out for HF rings and it doesn't sound like much fun. Still need to sit down and actually play Dark Souls. After that, AC3 and Black Flag.

Edit: And maybe, just maybe, try working on GTA5 cheevos

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

There's really only the WWE series.

It's fun enough, and if you watched wrestling when you were younger the Attitude Era and Wrestlemania single player modes in the latest 2 are pretty fun.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Ape Agitator posted:

It was awesome and it was broken and it was overloaded with potential and when it was not broken it was amazing.

The basic idea was that the game required either the physical bombardment of the enemy base or wiping out the enemy. Victory would alter a meta overmap and occasionally lead to big unopposed boss fight and your team would win that whole war. The game had a pretty flexible garage with modular parts leading (potentially) to tons of different designs and styles of mechs. It was really fun figuring out ways to hide your cockpit in strange places or finding weapon placements that would get you the ideal salvo spread you wanted. Presentation-wise, it was big maps with 60fps and, to me, really crisp and effective visuals. Something really just felt intense using your gun camera to line up a shot while plumes of dirt kicked up from shots being fired at you. And most things could take a ton of abuse so it didn't

Unfortunately, it was horrendously broken because they really didn't address imbalances via patches successfully. The huge maps made it pretty much impossible to dynamically respond to threats on your base and little buggies with tiny jackhammers would just zip around faster than legged mechs could respond and win easily. Flavor of the months/game dominated like the Double Double (Battleship cannons with tremendous splash damage and effect) which stifled creativity. The game really demanded the kind of patch tweaking that a fighting game needed because it lived and died on the basis of it remaining competitive.

It was intense as hell when it was working and delivered on the next gen promise. If a company (not SEGA apparently) really wanted to stay up to date on keeping the broken builds under control it would have made for a great franchise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f116xf2H2fY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZuv8Cu7sjg

You make me really miss Chromehounds. I was in a pretty active squad and undoubtedly we spent far more time in the garage than actual battle. I remember figuring out how to put armor in front of the cockpit and for about 3 days our squad dominated then suddenly everyone had armor in front so it was back to the garage to find another advantage.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

There's really only the WWE series.

It's fun enough, and if you watched wrestling when you were younger the Attitude Era and Wrestlemania single player modes in the latest 2 are pretty fun.

Fair enough. Where's a good place to jump into that series, then?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I remember being really excited for Chromehounds and it being the major reason I bought a 360 at all, but the awful mishandling of the balance and persistent war mode ruined it and gave me a multi-year grudge against From that almost made me miss out on Demon's/Dark Souls. At its worst one side (always the same side) would win the war about every 18 hours and cause a long unskippable defeat message for everyone else in the game each time it happened. The dominant build was a high-speed hovercraft that would dash past the defense and attack the base with a sort of heavy melee weapon and end the match in moments, and when that was nerfed they figured out how to mount long-range bombardment cannons so that they could be used point-blank as incredibly overpowered shotguns. There was a bug that would permanently gently caress up your account unless you scheduled an encounter with a tech support rep on Live so they could sell you an in-game part that would fix it.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 25, 2013

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Darth Walrus posted:

Fair enough. Where's a good place to jump into that series, then?

The two most recent are the best by far. If you're like me and haven't watched wrestling in like a decade and a half, the newest one 2k14 will be right for you, it has the most classic wrestlers from 80s/90s.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

The two most recent are the best by far. If you're like me and haven't watched wrestling in like a decade and a half, the newest one 2k14 will be right for you, it has the most classic wrestlers from 80s/90s.

Honestly, I'm a complete novice. Guess it's 2K14 for me, thanks.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

haveblue posted:

I remember being really excited for Chromehounds and it being the major reason I bought a 360 at all, but the awful mishandling of the balance and persistent war mode ruined it and gave me a multi-year grudge against From that almost made me miss out on Demon's/Dark Souls. At its worst one side (always the same side) would win the war about every 18 hours and cause a long unskippable defeat message for everyone else in the game each time it happened. The dominant build was a high-speed hovercraft that would dash past the defense and attack the base with a sort of heavy melee weapon and end the match in moments, and when that was nerfed they figured out how to mount long-range bombardment cannons so that they could be used point-blank as incredibly overpowered shotguns. There was a bug that would permanently gently caress up your account unless you scheduled an encounter with a tech support rep on Live so they could sell you an in-game part that would fix it.

Sounds like From Software.

I really want somebody to make Chromehounds and Armored Core that isn't From, so we could have good mech games with good multiplayer. Let them make their overly difficult fantasy RPGs and give somebody competent the mecha combat. :smith:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Honestly, I'm a complete novice. Guess it's 2K14 for me, thanks.

I would get 13 if it's your first. Very little has changed between 13 and 14 mechanically.

13 has the Attitude Era story mode though, which I found much better. 14's 30 Years of Wrestlemania is cool, but because it's only Wrestlemania it skips the entire year in between each event. Wrestlemania is usually the culmination of a storyline, so you don't get any of the build or anything going into the matches.

The Attitude Era meanwhile follows several storylines as they happened week to week. There are still time skips, but they're not as severe.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

notthegoatseguy posted:

Yeah, absolutely. I play a bit of multiplayer sometimes (nothing for 6 months, then something that catches my eye solidly for a month, then nothing again), so I have never bought a game for its multiplayer, always single player with added multi an occasional bonus (although far outweighed by the times that I wish they had spent the time/resources they wasted on multiplayer which is essentially dead after a month on sharpening or lengthening the single player experience).

What kind of games are you a fan of? And when you say you have been sitting out the generation, do you mean little gaming at all or do you mean that you have been ignoring the consoles but playing a lot of PC games, including stuff that was out on PC and Xbox?

Off the top of my head, games that have a good single player campaign that feel complete without any DLC;

Dishonored, Bioshock series (2 had actually okay multiplayer, and has a short DLC campaigh that is probably better than the main story to be honest, but its still fun enough without it), first 2 arkham games (Asylum and City, City has some silly little DLC but its nothing essential or even particularly great), Far Cry 3, Sleeping Dogs (Again, has DLC but is a complete game without it), assassins creed 2 trilogy (has DLC and multiplayer but the DLC is crap and the multiplayer is decent enough but doesnt feel like they skimped on the main game to create it), Driver San Francisco, Singularity, Protoype (the sequel is for me a better game, but if you bought it new you got some kind of wierd DLC challenges, and if you dont get them I imagine it would feel a little empty).

I'm also going to cheat and say "Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas Game of the Year Editions" because I love those games and you should play them, but the DLC is generally good. So buy the game of the year editions which have the DLC on the disk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Amazon has had lots of 360 GOTY editions for $15 the past few days. I picked up Read Dead Redemption GOTY for $15. They had GTA4/LC Stories, Fallout 3, Arkham Asylum, Arkham City, etc.

• Locked thread