Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

What ever happened to that app they were so excited about at launch? Searching for it doesn't seem to yield much in the way of results. Did it get canned?
Alot of that turned into stuff like this. http://gw2stats.net/ and various programs and smart phone apps.

You can get live maps of any zone on your server. Shows all the events, when they happen and what stage they're at. Live maps of wvw match ups too.

All the fancy poo poo like guild chat and more powerful stuff will come in their next big API update. https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/community/api

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

NapoleonAtWaterloo posted:

I took a trip into the public mumble and I swear they are playing a different game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8kxUqxbWzc

Best video i've ever seen.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Attention GW2 thread, it's almost Wintersday!

I hope they don't fix perplexity runes before they add snowballs back in so I can kill people in lions arch!

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Attention GW2 thread, it's almost Wintersday!

Do you still have the picture of the snowman gun dick with dolyak? I would love to see that again. One of our stupidest moments.

NapoleonAtWaterloo fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Nov 26, 2013

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Do you still have the picture of the snowman gun dick with dolyak? I would love to see that again. One of our stupidest moments.

In all its disturbing glory, SFD "does" Christmas:

sound_again
Jun 19, 2012
Guild Wars 2: snowman gun dick with dolyak?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Things I'm excited about for wintersday.

Toymakers factory tower defense.
Weird creepy dolls all over the world that hosed everyone up.
The really cool pvp event with 3 classes that was like nintendo ice hockey.
Destroying everything in toymakers factory like I was godzilla.
Mesmer Asura finding something new to have fun with(mortars in asura land and knocking people off over and over again).
Snowman tonic or whatevers new usage after death to make that weird creepy snowman that was horrifying in wvw.

I'm so happy.

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008

jaegerx posted:

Snowman tonic or whatevers new usage after death to make that weird creepy snowman that was horrifying in wvw.

I'm so sad.

They got rid of creepy snowman :( now you just turn invisible instead of becoming the four armed monster.

Gone but not forgotten. :sax:

CLAM DOWN posted:

In all its disturbing glory, SFD "does" Christmas:

Just as dumb and fantastic as I remembered it.

If anyone is feeling nostalgic I made a gallery of screenshots from last years Wintersday event. http://minus.com/mluN3dLIktdye

NapoleonAtWaterloo fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Nov 26, 2013

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Thaumanova is going to be in the third spot? Along with Dredge? Oh loving boy.

The rest of the changes sound pretty cool. Mistlock instability sounds interesting, and dungeon level rewards are very welcome.
Exploding enemies I'm not too keen on. In particular, it sounds like THAT loving PART in the Colossus fractal will become an even bigger pain in the rear end.

gently caress I'm sorry guys. I really am excited about this update, best thing to happen with Fractals. I just can't help but nitpick certain things :(

Lamp Stack
Jan 14, 2011
They did say that they're making some of the harder fractals easier. Other than pretty much all of the dredge fractal, the grawl fractal boss and THAT loving PART of the colossus fractal's probably tied for the encounter most likely to break up a pubbie group. I can't imagine that they'd leave it the same if they said that they're making harder fractals easier unless they think that this is one of the easy ones... :ohdear:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Just as dumb and fantastic as I remembered it.

I was finishing the personal story right at Wintersday last year, it was awesome:

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time
Just hit 80 on my 5th character. Are there any gimmicky builds for Thief? Is Venomshare still a thing? I've been using dual pistols and ricochet because it is pretty drat fun so bonus points if there is something that uses dual pistol and shortbow.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

J3ng4 posted:

Just hit 80 on my 5th character. Are there any gimmicky builds for Thief? Is Venomshare still a thing? I've been using dual pistols and ricochet because it is pretty drat fun so bonus points if there is something that uses dual pistol and shortbow.

Gimmicky dual pistol is 0/0/30/10/30 with perplexity runes, daze the hell outa people and stack confusion. Other than that, no.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Ghostpilot posted:

Kessel's build will go a long way towards party support will still putting out good damage. Annnd, it doesn't seem to be posted in this thread. I'll let him elaborate on that bit (rather pressed for time at the moment).

This is what I use most of the time: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcAQJAqelspSYHxyuF17ICoC1noH53jZZfe8WpFEC

If you can't click or are on mobile, it's:
Pistol/Shield
Elixir H, Elixir R, Grenade, E-gun, Supply Crate
Explosives 2, 8, 11
Firearms 3
Alchemy 1, 2, 9

I'm very fond of this build because it's eminently editable to fit your current situation without having to visit a retrainer, and it provides perma-swift and vigor in combat that is going to be wholly unaffected in the upcoming balance patch.

Elixir R is the floating slot. You swap out for Elixir B when open-world roaming, or in a dungeon where nobody is going to wipe and you want more damage. Elixir S for when you need to trash run. If you are not using elixirs, swap out Alchemy 2 (elixir cooldown) for Alchemy 6 (protection on CC), change the heal to Heal Turret and slap whatever gadget or gizmo you want in the floating slot. Bomb Kit is a good choice.

In the same fashion, you can run this build with zerk gear for dungeon clearing, or with knights or your choice of condition gear for WvW. You can take out Firearms 3 (swiftness on crit) for Tools 6 (swiftness on kit swap) if you want, but be aware that that will make your vigor non-permanent with the upcoming patch.

Build is piss easy to use. Slam grenades into faces, throw elixirs at yourself or friends, fire e-gun 5 when you need a nice big healing zone or you're stacking in a dungeon. For WvW you have chill from the grenade kit and cripple from e-gun 2. Drop a supply crate on the idiot you're fighting, cripple him, then slam grenades into his face till he falls over dead. In a crisis scenario, Elixir R's toolbelt revives your allies (and you, if you throw it at your own feet just before you die you will almost immediately stand up again like a dick.) You have perma-vigor to dodge everything and very many sources of regen to keep your health topped up. Finally, Elixir H and its toolbelt give you a lot of prot - use that to take less damage in the first place.

Use your shield to knock idiots off cliffs, stun bad thieves who can't stop Heartseekering you and reflect kill shots from bad warriors.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

jaegerx posted:

(mortars in asura land and knocking people off over and over again)

I was reminiscing about this just the other day, it was pretty amazing and a lot of fun.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

What ever happened to that app they were so excited about at launch? Searching for it doesn't seem to yield much in the way of results. Did it get canned?

The team working on it was small and also responsible for every gw1/2 website as well as the in-game commerce stuff. We were way over-committed and something had to give :(

The API path we are going down now was what I'd been lobbying for internally almost since I started at ArenaNet, so I'm pretty thrilled it went that way. Now I just have to finish a few things when i get back to work in Jan so the OAuth APIs can actually be authenticated...

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Tivac posted:

The team working on it was small and also responsible for every gw1/2 website as well as the in-game commerce stuff. We were way over-committed and something had to give :(

The API path we are going down now was what I'd been lobbying for internally almost since I started at ArenaNet, so I'm pretty thrilled it went that way. Now I just have to finish a few things when i get back to work in Jan so the OAuth APIs can actually be authenticated...

Seriously, is there any reason not to go this way for any game company? Just let the sperg players do your development work for you. Look at how much work people did with the event/map APIs.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Here's a question that's been bugging me for a while, so I figured i'd ask it here. I'm a fairly new goon of barely a year old. I've seen bits and pieces here and there on the internet where goons tend to be reviled by other gaming communities, and I have to ask...why? To keep this on topic, I joined Goonsquad a few days ago, and everyone has been extremely kind and helpful to me. I have had no bad vibes from anyone, I get questions answered immediately, and have been offered help whether needed or not. And I have tons of questions, so I imagine I can get annoying fast. So what's the deal? I'm sure part of it is in large part to hive-mind internet logic and "haters gonna hate" and all that, but where's the real reason? I joined the forum simply because i'd been lurking for years and found the community to be quite pleasant. And, sorry again if this is not the place to ask, but being in a GW2 guild makes the issue more prevelant to me.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

chaosapiant posted:

Here's a question that's been bugging me for a while, so I figured i'd ask it here. I'm a fairly new goon of barely a year old. I've seen bits and pieces here and there on the internet where goons tend to be reviled by other gaming communities, and I have to ask...why? To keep this on topic, I joined Goonsquad a few days ago, and everyone has been extremely kind and helpful to me. I have had no bad vibes from anyone, I get questions answered immediately, and have been offered help whether needed or not. And I have tons of questions, so I imagine I can get annoying fast. So what's the deal? I'm sure part of it is in large part to hive-mind internet logic and "haters gonna hate" and all that, but where's the real reason? I joined the forum simply because i'd been lurking for years and found the community to be quite pleasant. And, sorry again if this is not the place to ask, but being in a GW2 guild makes the issue more prevelant to me.

Because other gaming communities smell funny.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Goonswarm.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Starfleet Dental does not exactly take video games seriously: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fmGm6XUp38

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

Here's a question that's been bugging me for a while, so I figured i'd ask it here. I'm a fairly new goon of barely a year old. I've seen bits and pieces here and there on the internet where goons tend to be reviled by other gaming communities, and I have to ask...why?

The answer is Eve Online. Goons have a HUGE presence there and I think are one of the most powerful groups in the game. Since its about cut throat competition and scamming people with a tacked on space ship pew-pew game you can imagine getting to that spot involved making many enemies. Since Goon Fleet or whatever the hell they are going by now has actually had press coverage of their exploits that's what a lot of people associate goon with in the MMO community. Just look at the Mechwarrior or Star Citizen threads to see this in action (don't actually do this those threads are terrible)

In GW2 SFD is seen as some trolling guild, but thats really not true. People just overreact to the most innocuous things. Listen to what they said in the video posted by SFD's own Mesmer Asura.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8kxUqxbWzc
The horrible crime of shooting of fireworks. The other horrible crime was putting flags around Lion's Arch. Just flags.

And yeah I'm in SFD and its the same atmosphere. Everyone is willing to help when you ask for it, and no one will berate you for being bad or inexperienced.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
People not playing the game 'as intended' inevitably drive some pubbies crazy.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

To give you a serious answer, it is mostly because they like to have fun at the expense of people who take gaming too seriously.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

In GW2 SFD is seen as some trolling guild, but thats really not true. People just overreact to the most innocuous things. Listen to what they said in the video posted by SFD's own Mesmer Asura.

Keep in mind the person complaining towards the end of the video is a Goon.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

There's stuff like pushing Lion's arch NPCs into the water or refusing to cap the altar in WvW when that still had orbs. It's actually hard to grief in GW2 compared to other games though so most they get up to is harmless trolling like being annoying with trumpets.

burndtjamb
Sep 5, 2006

I took a trip into the public mumble and I swear they are playing a different game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8kxUqxbWzc

Brilliant video and music. A+++++

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

malhavok posted:

To give you a serious answer, it is mostly because they like to have fun at the expense of people who take gaming too seriously.

To give another SDF example: When champion bags where introduced some one figured out a way to create a unlimited number of champions in Orr. Basically people would do events up to a point, fail the current the event, and start the process all over again. Completing the event would break the whole sequence for something around 6 hours or so. So SFD grabbed a bunch of people and started to complete the events to break the champion train all the while being 100% nice, uplifting, and courteous while yelling in chat that they where here to save Tyria and Orr.

It broke peoples minds.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So are ranged warriors a thing still? I want to play with bows but I hate having to drag along a pet and thief's shortbow was pretty eh when I played.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
Bows are good for tagging in large fights in WvW. Lackluster for small fights or anything where you're hitting single targets.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Does anyone else think they're just going to spring the whole ascended armor thing on us? I totally understand them wanting to wait until they roll out the new fractal stuff since it will be a new source of mats, but they're really cutting it close if they actually plan on a 2013 release.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah, what about rifles? Or is greatsword still king? If that's the case I may just give rogue a shot.

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
I'm just a blast with all my questions this week, man!

So the thing that got me to stop playing GW2 back towards the start of the year is that they rebalanced the engineer and all of a sudden my (only level 80 character, at the time my only level >30 character's) elixir gun and bombs were basically doing no damage, and I went from being able to walk around in Orr with my spouse, to not being able to kill a veteran before another veteran spawned and literally not being able to get more than a few hundred feet from my spouse's mesmer without keeling over dead. The changes totes killed what had been an (at least minimally) effective playstyle and one I enjoyed. I've read that engineers got all changed around more than once since then, but I haven't even tried playing my engineer since we picked the game up again, leveling a thief and a mesmer instead because leveling is fun.

What can I expect from my engineer now? I used to be all elixir gun, all the time, except when I thought bombs were a better choice, which wasn't often and I forget now what would prompt me to swap over.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Blast of Confetti posted:

Ah, what about rifles? Or is greatsword still king? If that's the case I may just give rogue a shot.

Rifle is great for pve. I love my warriors charzooka. For single target damage it's very good. Longbow isn't bad at all it just isn't as good as the warriors melee options. On any other class it would be one of their best weapons.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Avalerion posted:

There's stuff like pushing Lion's arch NPCs into the water

Oh my god that was so fun, poor Anton.

Yeah as said, SFD infuriates simply by being silly or playing the game how it was intended to be play (like completing events). It really takes no effort. It's not a matter of us being GODDAMN GOON TROLLS, it's just so drat easy to make people fly into a frothing rage.

And it's not a "pubbies are worse than goons" thing, in fact, pubbies in DERP have been SFD's closest allies during our WvW shenanigans like golem night. Some select goons have been worse than the most raging and ultra serious pubbies, like the Civil War in beta, or the goon furious about fireworks in Mesmer Asura's video.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

So are ranged warriors a thing still? I want to play with bows but I hate having to drag along a pet and thief's shortbow was pretty eh when I played.

Bow/hammer is actually the main warrior build atm.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

drunkencarp posted:

I'm just a blast with all my questions this week, man!

So the thing that got me to stop playing GW2 back towards the start of the year is that they rebalanced the engineer and all of a sudden my (only level 80 character, at the time my only level >30 character's) elixir gun and bombs were basically doing no damage, and I went from being able to walk around in Orr with my spouse, to not being able to kill a veteran before another veteran spawned and literally not being able to get more than a few hundred feet from my spouse's mesmer without keeling over dead. The changes totes killed what had been an (at least minimally) effective playstyle and one I enjoyed. I've read that engineers got all changed around more than once since then, but I haven't even tried playing my engineer since we picked the game up again, leveling a thief and a mesmer instead because leveling is fun.

What can I expect from my engineer now? I used to be all elixir gun, all the time, except when I thought bombs were a better choice, which wasn't often and I forget now what would prompt me to swap over.

Use bombs/grenades.

If you want to use elixir gun for DPS then you will continue to be poo poo.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Rifle is probably warriors worst weapon. Melee is still king in PVE and the popular choices for Warrior are Axe/Mace or Greatsword, Longbow is good for might stacking especially if you have the weapon swapping trait, so it can make a good secondary weapon.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Just depends what you're doing... I mean, everything does damage and you can complete any content in the game using any weapon with any class. I'm just talking about what's generally accepted as the most effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Egun is a great support/situational gadget (as GP found out, the synergy between rifle's jump shot and egun's acid bomb is INSANE), but it's pretty anemic as a primary damage-dealer.

Good engie builds generally revolve around giving yourself carpal tunnel with grenades (see Kes's build earlier in the thread), static discharge with rifle (see Ghostpilot's most recent build), or pistol/elixirs with HGH (does anyone here primary that?).

• Locked thread