Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

slidebite posted:

You know what this game needs? Spectators running away in terror when you slam into the wall right next to them. :colbert:

The next week and a half is going to take so much longer than normal!

They had photographers running on to the track in the Grand Canyon stage in GT4. They would always run out of the way in time, unless you were using photo mode. By leaving the camera mode, their position will reset, and possibly create the lead up to America's Funniest Home Video.

At least the spectators are in 3D in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

This Friday or Saturday, we're doing a send off to GT5 with a bunch of races. If you liked it or hated it, how about a couple or several races to get us somewhat ready for GT6. I'm just a tad busy on school front so if you want to suggest specs and make specs from my suggestion go for it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3445331&pagenumber=45#post421982606

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

FAILURE posted:

I don't know why you'd be playing Prologue to begin with when the real GT5 is out.

It was cheaper and more bite-sized, basically - I wasn't planning on spending a ton of time with it, but also wasn't originally planning on picking up GT6 quite so soon.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Space Racist posted:

It was cheaper and more bite-sized, basically - I wasn't planning on spending a ton of time with it, but also wasn't originally planning on picking up GT6 quite so soon.

Also, premium car purity.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

MUFFlNS posted:

When it comes to singleplayer though, I think all games in this genre are just destined to have really lovely career modes. They all suck with the exception of Shift 2 Unleashed which had great singleplayer, but the physics completely ruined it. I still think Shift would have been better than both GT and Forza were it not for the physics gently caress-ups, which is why I'm more excited for Project CARS than anything else right now.

Totally agree 100%, I actually built a new computer and bought shift 2 *again* and installed some physics mods and the game is loving great.

FAILURE
Jan 28, 2004

If I am not me, den who da hell am I?
Shift's physics were one thing, but the fake sensation-of-speed effects were probably the biggest thing that ruined the game.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Is anyone going to keep GT5 around? I was thinking of trading it in to Gamestop when I pick up my GT6 pre-order.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Is anyone going to keep GT5 around? I was thinking of trading it in to Gamestop when I pick up my GT6 pre-order.

The XL edition is $20 brand new I don't think you'll get much more than a couple dollars for vanilla GT5.

I'm uninstalling it to free up some HDD space though, I can't see myself playing it having GT6 where the only thing missing is the Top Gear test track.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Lyer posted:

Totally agree 100%, I actually built a new computer and bought shift 2 *again* and installed some physics mods and the game is loving great.

Exactly what physics mods? I've been interested into making into a decent game.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Chapter 1 of Andretti's first love feature is available.

http://playstation.gt6firstlove.com/chapter-1/

Very nice documentary on his career, I think Polyphony are restoring a Hudson which was Mario's first car.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm excited at the idea of getting more open wheel race cars in GT6. Probably as DLC if we get any at all. I would be fine with any at all, but I hope we get some Ferrari's.

whoisjasonk
Jun 30, 2010

Ninja Editor
Fun Shoe
Oh man. I got burned so bad by GT5, and just got burned by Forza 5 (don't pick on me), but I still kinda want this game. I just don't know if I'll have the time to play it. I'm already looking at having to quit my job and start racing for 20 hours a day in Forza 5 if I'm ever going to get that sweet Ford Fiesta unlocked...

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
There's a spend $60 get $10 back promotion on PSN right now so if you buy GT6 digital you'll get $10 to spend on DLC or whatever.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

whoisjasonk posted:

Oh man. I got burned so bad by GT5, and just got burned by Forza 5 (don't pick on me), but I still kinda want this game. I just don't know if I'll have the time to play it. I'm already looking at having to quit my job and start racing for 20 hours a day in Forza 5 if I'm ever going to get that sweet Ford Fiesta unlocked...

You'd be best waiting to see how the game is a few weeks after launch rather than going in blind then. GT5 throws so many credits at the player that there might as well be no money in the game at all, you can earn millions in a single race and go absolutely nuts buying as many ridiculously priced cars as you want.

With GT6 however, they're introducing something similar to Forza 5 where you can purchase in-game credits with real money. Nobody knows if they will force players to grind for cash in the game to promote micro-transactions, or continue with the current system of showering the player with credits and just offering up credit packs for people who are really impatient.

It looks like GT6 will be a really good game, but until people can play it for themselves (and put some decent time in, at that) then nobody knows for sure what weird/dumb/awful quirks the game might have. It seems that Polyphony Digital has done a great job of listening to complaints people had with GT5, but you have absolutely nothing to lose by waiting for a while before picking the game up.

I honestly think that gaming has reached the point now where buying any game at launch is complete madness, and it's something I'm making a point of avoiding from now on.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

MUFFlNS posted:

You'd be best waiting to see how the game is a few weeks after launch rather than going in blind then. GT5 throws so many credits at the player that there might as well be no money in the game at all, you can earn millions in a single race and go absolutely nuts buying as many ridiculously priced cars as you want.

With GT6 however, they're introducing something similar to Forza 5 where you can purchase in-game credits with real money. Nobody knows if they will force players to grind for cash in the game to promote micro-transactions, or continue with the current system of showering the player with credits and just offering up credit packs for people who are really impatient.

It looks like GT6 will be a really good game, but until people can play it for themselves (and put some decent time in, at that) then nobody knows for sure what weird/dumb/awful quirks the game might have. It seems that Polyphony Digital has done a great job of listening to complaints people had with GT5, but you have absolutely nothing to lose by waiting for a while before picking the game up.

I honestly think that gaming has reached the point now where buying any game at launch is complete madness, and it's something I'm making a point of avoiding from now on.

Yeah this is all fair, I already had $60 on my PSN wallet so might as well buy this thing.

I hope Polyphony doesn't pull a Turn10 and starts making us grind 60 hours for a single car though, that'd really suck.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

MUFFlNS posted:

Yeah I generally agree, buying a game at launch is really dumb, because often even waiting like 2 days can uncover the "truth" about if it is good or not.

I'm a dumb idiot though and will be taking advantage of that $10 as soon as I am finished typing this post :negative:

whoisjasonk
Jun 30, 2010

Ninja Editor
Fun Shoe

MUFFlNS posted:

Sage advice

Definitely good advice. I tend to like to get games on release just because I enjoy getting swept up in the zeitgeist, but I suppose if I wait a few days or a week I won't miss too much.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Personally I'm hoping the $1M preorder premium from Amazon will let me have enough of a buffer that I can just race and buy cars and upgrades as I like and never really worry about it.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

projecthalaxy posted:

Personally I'm hoping the $1M preorder premium from Amazon will let me have enough of a buffer that I can just race and buy cars and upgrades as I like and never really worry about it.

Yeah this is why I think they haven't gone full evil like Turn 10 just yet, if they were they wouldn't be offering a bunch of cars/money for free.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

MUFFlNS posted:

Keep in mind that this only started with later seasonal events, long after the initial release. The original A-Spec races don't pay all that well, so it did take some "grinding" to get enough money for a really expensive car. As long as they don't make the grind worse than GT5 A-Spec, I'll be happy. It may take a while to get some of the really pricey rides, but there will be plenty of interesting cheaper cars to mess around with in the meantime (and presumably plenty of prize cars as well).

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

MUFFlNS posted:

This right here is why I saved myself from buying Beyond: Two Souls on release day. I wait later now unless it's something I really want like this, Last of Us, or GTA V.

El Hefe posted:

Yeah this is why I think they haven't gone full evil like Turn 10 just yet, if they were they wouldn't be offering a bunch of cars/money for free.

Yeah they're giving away what 25 cars on the Gamestop pre-order that the total cost of the cars would probably be way over 10M credits with the R18, Daytona Coupe, and several others.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Exactly what physics mods? I've been interested into making into a decent game.

There's a bunch of mods I've downloaded in addition (mainly cosmetic stuff), but it's this mod in particular that makes the driving a lot more fun: http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=36868

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

dennyk posted:

Keep in mind that this only started with later seasonal events, long after the initial release. The original A-Spec races don't pay all that well, so it did take some "grinding" to get enough money for a really expensive car. As long as they don't make the grind worse than GT5 A-Spec, I'll be happy. It may take a while to get some of the really pricey rides, but there will be plenty of interesting cheaper cars to mess around with in the meantime (and presumably plenty of prize cars as well).

If the regular events are designed so that you don't have to keep buying a throwaway car just for one particular series, then hopefully grinding won't really be much of a thing. That's always been the biggest money sink in either Forza or GT, running into race events that have very specific requirements that force you to buy and upgrade a car you don't really care about enough to use again, and then not even getting half your money back if you decide to sell it afterwards.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

MUFFlNS posted:

I do mostly agree with you. I do have several exceptions.

Dark Souls 2, or any game with a multiplayer you know you'd probably sink in for at least a while (COD/BF4, and yes even Dark Souls 2 falls into this category).

Otherwise, you're better off waiting for reviews, and if you wait until you actually have time to play it, chances are, you'll see it for sale for $40 or something, not even half a year after it came out. Competition for sales is so fierce now. (Didn't Tomb Raider on PS3 go on sale for $30 for a weekend, and since then it's been roughly $20 bucks on sale twice with a PS+ subscription?)

I've got enough of a backlog that I can wait until something hits $30 or less before I play it.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Lyer posted:

There's a bunch of mods I've downloaded in addition (mainly cosmetic stuff), but it's this mod in particular that makes the driving a lot more fun: http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=36868

I was just looking around at the various Shift 2 mods and I find it pretty crazy that a lot of people have manually imported cars from Forza 4 on the Xbox 360 into the PC version of Shift 2 :stare:

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Right, time to fire the "potential Forza 5'ing in progress" alert. Dutch/Belgian site GameMania has begun taking pre-orders of the microtransactions. Specifically, 1 million for 10 Euro and 2.5 million for 20 Euro.

That's kinda high, especially considering that that there's a 7 million credit pack still to be priced. We shall see if they prices are accurate, but if they are that isn't a good sign.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
That doesn't even make any sense, isn't one of the preorder bonuses like $10 million? So they are giving away essentially 80 Euro worth of money just for preordering?

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

abagofcheetos posted:

That doesn't even make any sense, isn't one of the preorder bonuses like $10 million? So they are giving away essentially 80 Euro worth of money just for preordering?

You're off by a factor of ten.

It's still ten Euros' worth of credits, if this pricing is anything to go by.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I'm still thinking it's just a way to cash in on the extremely lazy. I like slow car races anyways, so any grind won't matter to me

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

What's everyone's experience when pre-ordering games from Amazon? Does the game ship on release day or do they time the shipping so that it arrives on the release day? I'd like to have the game as soon as possible so the digital versions is tempting. But $1M credits doesn't sound too bad either.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Amazon hasn't been offering release day delivery for me lately. :( They use to all the time, so I don't understand what is wrong with them.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Turkey Farts posted:

What's everyone's experience when pre-ordering games from Amazon? Does the game ship on release day or do they time the shipping so that it arrives on the release day? I'd like to have the game as soon as possible so the digital versions is tempting. But $1M credits doesn't sound too bad either.

My preorder states that I will receive it on release day. That should mean that they will ship it before the date so that it arrives on the release date.

whoisjasonk
Jun 30, 2010

Ninja Editor
Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

Amazon hasn't been offering release day delivery for me lately. :( They use to all the time, so I don't understand what is wrong with them.

If you select standard 2 day shipping now, it automatically is release date shipping. I know, it sucks.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

whoisjasonk posted:

If you select standard 2 day shipping now, it automatically is release date shipping. I know, it sucks.

That didn't happen with me for Grand Theft Auto V. :(

Ooh wells, I am within walking distance now of a Target, so I can pick up GT6 on release day at 8am, instead of waiting until 5pm for my game to arrive. A whole day to cry about another Gran Turismo.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I got GTA V on release day through Amazon around 5PM. I sometimes do midnight releases, but with recent games requiring extensive installs it doesn't seem worth it.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Famitsu has a preview where they talk about the early stages of the GT mode. GTPlanet has the info and screenshots here. Included is a screengrab of some of the starting cars. Since I'm fairly sure they aren't going to start you off with three million credits, nor charge 1.7 million credits for the starting rustbuckets, it appears that the tradition of 100 JP GT credits = 1 US GT credits is still with us.

Oh, and B-spec has been demoted to an optional feature you can activate during races, in a similar manner to GT4.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Delusibeta posted:

Oh, and B-spec has been demoted to an optional feature you can activate during races, in a similar manner to GT4.
That's exactly the change I wanted out of B-Spec, do a stint or two in a car, let my B-Spec drivers take over for a bit, repeat. :D

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Delusibeta posted:

:siren: Thank gently caress for everything. :siren:

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Delusibeta posted:

Yay for endurance races being more bearable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Delusibeta posted:

As someone who hasn't played since GT4, what was GT5's like? I loved being able to manage the longer endurance races, or use the camera angles that were never really suitable for racing.

• Locked thread