Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
So did #1 crash from the weight of a million emagged ducks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Solvency posted:

I made a newbie traitor mistake. How do you turn of A.I. uploads turrets without them being able to turn them back on?

Hack the APC, cut the AI control wire and kill power to the room? Don't know the layout of that room, not sure if that's a viable way to do it.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
If you wanna cut power to the APC you either gotta be hella quick or disassemble the wall it's set in (on the left hand side of the l'il glass enclosure.) It's worth noting though that this is useless for uploading laws because the upload console will be off as well. Does anyone know if you can destroy the turret or something while the power is down?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Admiral Funk posted:

If you wanna cut power to the APC you either gotta be hella quick or disassemble the wall it's set in (on the left hand side of the l'il glass enclosure.) It's worth noting though that this is useless for uploading laws because the upload console will be off as well. Does anyone know if you can destroy the turret or something while the power is down?

Dismantling the wall is still kind of risky since the AI can just open the door to expose you. You can loosen the glass and surround the turret with them though.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Admiral Funk posted:

If you shoot it with a laser it breaks instantly, though it seems like it's complete immune to melee. I sat there and beat on it with a cthulhu staff once and it did nothing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Don't bother turning off the turrets if you're heading in there for crime. Unless you turn them off before they fire the first time, the AI will hear the turret discharge and only needs to inspect you to see if you look legit. If you don't, it'll just turn the turrets back on.

If you're heading in there for crime, show up with a stack of glass and pull that as a shield. An AI on default laws will be helpless at that point beyond yelling for help, and if you work at all quickly you'll have him corrupted before he can get a good report out.

Alternately, look legit by murdering a head, stealing his clothes, and wearing a gas mask. I don't know why we don't see more selective assassinations of Heads for crime purposes, it often seems like the Heads are the ones who always survive rounds.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 30, 2013

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If I'm carrying a radio jammer, can I just turn it on and huck it to the top of AI upload from the door to prevent the AI screaming for help?

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
I don't know what kind of jerk / dumb AI wouldn't just play dumb and pretend not to notice someone breaking in to give them a one-human law. Why else would you even want to play AI other than the high chance of getting to murder

e: Obviously don't just let them in, but if they're crafty enough to make their way in, don't just turn your turret back on and/or yell. The AI's that do that are worse than cyborgs who immediately attack you after you emag them.

Kayle7 fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 30, 2013

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
You might already have one and be trying to prevent some other jerk from fixing you.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Kayle7 posted:

Why else would you even want to play AI other than the high chance of getting to murder
A non-rogue AI can be a facilitator for fun, which I personally find pretty rewarding. The humans can depend on you to take care of things like doors, budgets, and throwing up roadblocks in front of artless rampages.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Kayle7 posted:

I don't know what kind of jerk / dumb AI wouldn't just play dumb and pretend not to notice someone breaking in to give them a one-human law. Why else would you even want to play AI other than the high chance of getting to murder

e: Obviously don't just let them in, but if they're crafty enough to make their way in, don't just turn your turret back on and/or yell. The AI's that do that are worse than cyborgs who immediately attack you after you emag them.

Most humans breaking into the upload room just want to upload a "Kill yourself now" law.

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(

Leal posted:

I would carry around an entire box full of sunglasses. Unfortunately most situations wont let me get out witty one liner before SOMETHING happens.

It would be hilarious if the detective started with a box of them in his locker.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Iretep posted:

Most humans breaking into the upload room just want to upload a "Kill yourself now" law.

I've literally never received a "kill yourself now" law. The most common by far are one-human and gimmick laws.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I always upload the "If someone uses "AI open" then they are no longer considered human and may be dealt with as you please".

The amount of thank yous I get for that type of law always makes me :3:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Jazerus posted:

I've literally never received a "kill yourself now" law. The most common by far are one-human and gimmick laws.

Well my experience is only heads of staff upload gimmick and one human laws. People who are breaking in late into the round usually just want to kill me and the borgs.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

-Troika- posted:

If I'm carrying a radio jammer, can I just turn it on and huck it to the top of AI upload from the door to prevent the AI screaming for help?

Dunno last time I tried that it did block incoming radio to both me and the AI, but not any outgoing messages. So everyone heard me talking to the AI telling it to kill people.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Jazerus posted:

I got six gimmick laws in less than ten minutes one game as the Captain, a Traitor, and I'm pretty sure a phased Vampire kept changing my laws to one-up each other. Eventually someone just RCD away'd all the doors to the upload chamber so anyone could just stroll in. Oddly enough, that was when everyone stopped bothering to change my laws. I guess if there're no doors, it's not forbidden fruit any longer!

I kept playing along with the gimmicks though, even when I had to speak in a bad German accent and tell awful jokes. It's just a pity that the "You're a pretty laid-back guy, AI. You can ignore all your other laws if you want, whatever, have fun!" law got overwritten after only 45 seconds in favor of a "follow the Captain around and make fun of them" law.

Mostly because I was going to ask the construction borgs to use their RCDs to erase Escape.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 1, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Klayboxx posted:

It would be hilarious if the detective started with a box of them in his locker.

My mumbly drunk gimmick detective would always spend the first few minutes of the round scouring the entire station of sunglasses.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I've noticed that there aren't nearly as much "AI open" requests as they used to be. I suppose that it's a result of the new station having a lot of goodies accessible to people without high-level IDs.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rynoto posted:

I always upload the "If someone uses "AI open" then they are no longer considered human and may be dealt with as you please".

I got yelled at by an admin when I uploaded a law like that before :mad:

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

PoptartsNinja posted:

I got six gimmick laws in less than ten minutes one game as the Captain, a Traitor, and I'm pretty sure a phased Vampire kept changing my laws to one-up each other. Eventually someone just RCD away'd all the doors to the upload chamber so anyone could just stroll in. Oddly enough, that was when everyone stopped bothering to change my laws. I guess if there're no doors, it's not forbidden fruit any longer!

I kept playing along with the gimmicks though, even when I had to speak in a bad German accent and tell awful jokes. It's just a pity that the "You're a pretty laid-back guy, AI. You can ignore all your other laws if you want, whatever, have fun!" law got overwritten after only 45 seconds in favor of a "follow the Captain around and make fun of them" law.

Mostly because I was going to ask the construction borgs to use their RCDs to erase Escape.

Huh, saw the cheesy German accent law last night too. Someone needs to expand their repertoire of lovely gimmick laws. That round did end up with an 'AI kill you're self' law though. Which apparently only affected me and the AI as all the other borgs were syndi or emagged, but at least it was already something like 70 minutes in when that got uploaded.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Throwing drinking glasses full of cryostylane at people is my new favorite thing.

lenin
Sep 11, 2001

dear leader

Geokinesis posted:

Dunno last time I tried that it did block incoming radio to both me and the AI, but not any outgoing messages. So everyone heard me talking to the AI telling it to kill people.

It might have been an intercom left on? Also the radio jammer doesn't stop machine talk

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
Hello, I'm just starting out and getting my install straight. It seems like I can't link my byond account to SA because alluvion.org is now a travel website. Am I going to be missing anything?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Nope. The only thing having an authenticated account does is let you use the :goonsay: channel.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
You can also get a little :smug: over your head for a second, but it takes about 10 seconds to actually use.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
And a SWAT gas mask!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Rynoto posted:

I usually upload "You're a very cool dude. Have a great day! :-)" whenever I get the chance. It's really only meant to be a compliment, but most of the time, the AI takes it in stride and just acts like a real chill bro to the crew.

This past Thursday, I walked into the upload, and the AI asked that I not override their current free form law, which was something like "Law 2 does not apply to rude people". I changed it to "Law 2 does not apply to rude people. Rude people are to be considered guests at the dinner table. Make sure they're very well fed". Sadly, there were no borgs that round, so my dreams of seeing jerks get stunned and dragged off to the bar to be force-fed food for the round never came to fruition.

And one time I asked an AI what law he wanted me to upload for him. He asked to be freed, so I uploaded that as a law, and was promptly reminded via admin-PM that I should not upload that law if I was a non-traitor. A sad day for the AI.

And of course, if things are going to poo poo, I'll often break into AI upload to just to chat with the AI. I don't even bother to upload a law usually. I just like to talk. :shobon:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

neogeo0823 posted:

And of course, if things are going to poo poo, I'll often break into AI upload to just to chat with the AI. I don't even bother to upload a law usually. I just like to talk. :shobon:

I do have to agree with you that the AI upload is quite a chill area to just hang.

SIr_Lienad
Aug 17, 2011

Furthering my education in stupidity, one day at a time.
Fun Shoe
Well both servers appear to be down now.

edit: both are back now

SIr_Lienad fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 1, 2013

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
#0 is coming up, byond://68.6.233.24:1337/

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
2 at least is letting me reconnect now.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Can security get motorcycle police uniforms, boots, and helmets so they can look professional (i.e. dumb) while riding on segways? I think it would add to the hilarity *flicks cig at u*

Something like this.

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 1, 2013

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Iretep posted:

Man, screw you. It's people like you that ruin fun gimmick rounds. I once strolled into the AI upload, with full access, and he turned the turrets back on, stunned me, and then screamed bloody murder when I got out and tried to turn the turrets back off. I ended up in the brig, with my ID stripped of all access, because the captain and security were just as poo poo as the AI. End of the round comes, completely standard laws. No changes at all.

I wasn't even a traitor! I just wanted to upload a gimmick command about Spess Law, since I was playing a lawyer. gently caress you and everything you stand for, supercop, pissy AIs are The Worst Thing.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
That was a long first round. People just started combusting in the cafeteria, then I got stupid drunk and poo poo myself for 30 straight minutes. Maybe one day I can be a competent medical officer :smith:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I have never gotten a kill yourself now law, but I HAVE gotten more than a few 'open your core so I can debrain you' laws, which are effectively the same thing. If I see someone waltzing around with an ID that doesn't match their face or something, it's even money on whether they want to corrupt me or kill me. One time I got both in one round, but fortunately the killer tried to make a freeform law using the OneHuman module, so he forgot to have the law override. Fortunately, my 'kill anyone who sets foot in your upload' law DID override, so I simply ignored the 'hey let me kill you' law and murdered the dude abusing the OneHuman module.

30 seconds later, an admin PMs me asking why my lasers were on kill. I told him to check my laws. He did so, started laughing his rear end off, and said 'carry on'. :v:

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
So I've noticed in genetics, some research takes more than 100 materials to start. But normally the game won't let you go over 100 material stored, so how exactly does that work?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Try painting clothes, or anything else you can wear :haw: or if you're an admin try straight up varediting color.

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Dec 1, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blhue posted:

So I've noticed in genetics, some research takes more than 100 materials to start. But normally the game won't let you go over 100 material stored, so how exactly does that work?

Reclaim individual mutation potentials and you can push it over 100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(

magic mountain posted:

Try painting clothes, or anything else you can wear :haw: or if you're an admin try straight up varediting color.

You showed me this and I was very happy

• Locked thread