Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Hmmm this guy has leadership experience. He is the sole survivor of an entire town. Better believe everything he says without hesitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dracorion
Jul 23, 2013
I assumed the zombies that appeared behind the defenders got in through the breach that opened a few episodes ago, and that the prison crew hadn't had time to properly block it off.

Awesome episode, and I'm sad to see Hershel go, but that smile was worth it.

Also looking forward to the rest of the season, and it looks like we might get stories focusing on specific groups. Just to see if I got the groups straight:

The Redshirt Bus in: Dying by the droves to keep sick Glenn alive.

The Child Soldiers babysitting Tyreese (possibly with Judith). I think it's a good idea to pair a Tyreese who still doesn't know what Carol did with a bunch of mini-Carols. Especially since they saved his life.

Sasha, Maggie and Wounded Bob in: "The booze helps dull the pain!"

Shotgun Carl and his scrappy sidekick Rick.

And finally, Michonne's probably going to find herself a couple new zombie bros and hit the road (possibly with Judith).

Yeah, I don't think Judith's dead. Upon rewatching, the bottom of the crib didn't seem to be smeared with enough blood for her to be dead. And I think if a zombie had eaten her, it would've done it right there and not carried her off, and would've left a lot more blood and gore, even if she did get eaten whole, bones and all, like Lori was.

Seems more likely to me that someone who was covered in blood picked her up.

And there's Carol, Lily and Tara left as stragglers who could join up with any of the group, though I wonder if they'll commit to what Rick said and have Carol do her own thing.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Blazing Ownager posted:

I honestly kind of think the one torturing animals is Carl and it has nothing to do with the girls or what Carol did in killing those people. I'm starting to get the impression his calm, reasonable exterior is held together by a horrible dark side, largely because with the amount of poo poo this kid has gone through, he has to have snapped a little.

I think when it comes to that they're trying to show how much Carl has become a colder person that isn't all goofy and feelings like other kids. Hence the focus on his breaking down over Judith...

So I guess now Rick has someone to talk with on the ghost phone that actually exists

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Dracorion posted:

And there's Carol, Lily and Tara left as stragglers who could join up with any of the group, though I wonder if they'll commit to what Rick said and have Carol do her own thing.

Morgan would like a word with you. :colbert:

radlum
May 13, 2013

PaganGoatPants posted:

Yeah also it's not out of the ordinary for people to just follow a leader no matter what weird stuff he does. He is the authority. Apparently in simulators the 1/4 of co-pilots will let a plane crash even when the main pilot does it on purpose and they know everything is going to poo poo. They won't speak up/not crash because they aren't in command.

Follow the leader mentality can help this plot make more sense, but I doubt that was going through the writers minds; that sounds too deep for a show that goes from mediocre to average to bad to good every season.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Baldbeard posted:

Zombies already broke the fence down, and absolutely nothing happened. It just didn't count that time and made zero sense. But now Rick says "the prison is useless without the fences!", and sure enough now nobody gets the prison because the fences are down.

Or it could be that when the zombies broke through they didn't tear down a huge swath of both fences to get in and instead took down a small section of one giving the prison something still to fortify

quote:

They already shot a bunch of guns off, and it magically did not attract zombies. However the Gov mentions gunshots attract zombies, and then all of the sudden gunshots attract zombies again. This is what I was complaining about 3 episodes ago, it's just a gimmick the writers use when they need drama and then they totally abandon the premise at other times.

"There aren't enough teleporting zombies to appease me"

Blazing Ownager posted:

You know, reflecting on how that episode went down, I wonder if Rick just wishes he handed over the prison in retrospect and went on the run.

His whole "We can all have it or no one can!" stance he should have known would end with the no one option.

I don't even own a gun and I can tell you that you need a lot of upper arm strength to fire one, and I cannot imagine doing it with a fully automatic.

Guns recoil like crazy. It's why youtube is loaded with videos of first timers smashing themselves in the face so hard that it breaks their nose/teeth. From civilian rifles.

m4 style rifles don't kick that hard. It's like 5 lbs of recoil at most.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 2, 2013

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

radlum posted:

Follow the leader mentality can help this plot make more sense, but I doubt that was going through the writers minds; that sounds too deep for a show that goes from mediocre to average to bad to good every season.

Except that a huge theme of the show has been leadership, including the consequences of a "follow the leader" mentality. The Governor's militia is an example of what could have happened to the Ricktatorship when Rick went off the rails, but everyone was still looking to him for answers. It's not a stretch that the writer's revisited the idea.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Let's not forget the Gov just showed up on the scene and all of the sudden leadership started dying, followed shortly by him becoming the new leadership. Also the camp looked pretty small, with just a few surviving soldiers showing up in this or that scene. That is until he cast 'Summon: Fully-functioning Military' outside of the prison. Although I can't really say Fully-functioning since they couldn't hit anything, except their new home, with a tank. I mean, what the poo poo?

The show handles some things really well. Like when a few characters go out scouting for supplies, and you get to learn about them on a personal level. All the while killing zombies and stuff. It's great and why I love the show. Literally every time a small group goes out to accomplish something, it's awesome.
The big epic showdowns are sloppy as hell though. All of the sudden nothing makes sense, everyone is an idiot, and zombies appear wherever they need to be and do whatever they need to do to push the plot -- usually behaving radically differently then they ever have.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

My God, double post. I'm so sorry.

SocketWrench posted:

Or it could be that when the zombies broke through they didn't tear down a huge swath of both fences to get in and instead took down a small section of one giving the prison something still to fortify

"There aren't enough teleporting zombies to appease me"

A gently caress-ton of zombies poured through, way more than we saw this episode, and Carl and Rick firing squaded them down. Even though they were non-stop firing assault rifles, after they killed the zombie-pack it was over. No more zombies came. The next morning they were walking around and having casual chats. I guess they repaired both fences over night with half of them dying of the flu? It was a total departure of the kind of action/consequences we had been seeing up until that point. Then, this episode, guns attract zombies and broken fences is game-over again. Because the writers need them out of the prison, so why not just make it happen.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Blazing Ownager posted:

I don't even own a gun and I can tell you that you need a lot of upper arm strength to fire one, and I cannot imagine doing it with a fully automatic.

Maybe you shouldn't consider yourself an authority on guns if you've never actually handled one.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Baldbeard posted:

Let's not forget the Gov just showed up on the scene and all of the sudden leadership started dying, followed shortly by him becoming the new leadership. Also the camp looked pretty small, with just a few surviving soldiers showing up in this or that scene. That is until he cast 'Summon: Fully-functioning Military' outside of the prison. Although I can't really say Fully-functioning since they couldn't hit anything, except their new home, with a tank. I mean, what the poo poo?

The show handles some things really well. Like when a few characters go out scouting for supplies, and you get to learn about them on a personal level. All the while killing zombies and stuff. It's great and why I love the show. Literally every time a small group goes out to accomplish something, it's awesome.
The big epic showdowns are sloppy as hell though. All of the sudden nothing makes sense, everyone is an idiot, and zombies appear wherever they need to be and do whatever they need to do to push the plot -- usually behaving radically differently then they ever have.

Pretty much this.

I get the "Follow the leader" type mentality for sure. I know about Milgrim's experiments and how it impacts people. However, there is a big difference between "Ok his plan sounds good, we don't have to hurt anyone" to "OK OVER THE TOP BOYS!". It was clear that Mitch and the Governor were all about killing everyone from the get-go, and it was obvious that the rest of the people weren't cool with it based on their past actions. Yet, they become immediate shock troops because reasons. It's silly and the show is weakest when it uses people as plot devices rather than characters. As Baldbeard said, the show is strongest when they develop characters. Maybe that is why it bugs me so much. There is so much effort into the actions each person takes, sometimes painstakingly so, in order to make sure we know and bond with them....then boom, we have a bunch of redshirts behaving in the exact opposite the way we've come to expect all characters to.

I mean hell, the lesbian girl was more hesitant to leave with the governor and crew in the car overnight than she was to fight a goddam pitched battle. Come on.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Pretty much every single inconsistency concerning the Governor's reappearance, his new followers and the prison showdown stems from the fact this entire past half season basically retcons the plot of the previous season and realigns the plot more closely with how stuff went down in the comics. It's actually quite interesting and is somewhat indicative of the behind-the-scenes power struggles but since this thread is a strict 'do not discuss the comics' zone I guess we should just try to find explanations for stuff that doesn't really make much sense within the show's narrative.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

canuckanese posted:

Ok yeah but it's a tv show. No one cares about tactics except for the armchair generals/survival experts around here, I'm just talking about the motivations of the Governor's crew.

And yes, you can absolutely have it both ways. It's not like being a hardened survivor devoted to a cause means that you're suddenly transformed into a great soldier. You can be really passionate about wanting to make something happen but still suck and fail completely, as we saw in the show. If the Governor's crew had been fortunate enough to important characters like Rick's group, they might have succeeded.

I'm wondering if people complaining about "inaccuracy from ex-military" actually know how often military people go through ammo and not hit anything. The army in attack formations is trained to suppressing fire and manuver on their target, not sit back and take super elite sniper shots like they were expected half a century ago

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Baldbeard posted:

My God, double post. I'm so sorry.

A gently caress-ton of zombies poured through, way more than we saw this episode, and Carl and Rick firing squaded them down. Even though they were non-stop firing assault rifles, after they killed the zombie-pack it was over. No more zombies came. The next morning they were walking around and having casual chats. I guess they repaired both fences over night with half of them dying of the flu? It was a total departure of the kind of action/consequences we had been seeing up until that point. Then, this episode, guns attract zombies and broken fences is game-over again. Because the writers need them out of the prison, so why not just make it happen.

We don't know for sure what was going on. After the battle the focus left Rick and co to focus on the Governor. We don't know how much time had actually passed at that point. A day? a few days? a week?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Dracorion posted:

I assumed the zombies that appeared behind the defenders got in through the breach that opened a few episodes ago, and that the prison crew hadn't had time to properly block it off.

Awesome episode, and I'm sad to see Hershel go, but that smile was worth it.

Also looking forward to the rest of the season, and it looks like we might get stories focusing on specific groups. Just to see if I got the groups straight:

The Redshirt Bus in: Dying by the droves to keep sick Glenn alive.

The Child Soldiers babysitting Tyreese (possibly with Judith). I think it's a good idea to pair a Tyreese who still doesn't know what Carol did with a bunch of mini-Carols. Especially since they saved his life.

Sasha, Maggie and Wounded Bob in: "The booze helps dull the pain!"

Shotgun Carl and his scrappy sidekick Rick.

And finally, Michonne's probably going to find herself a couple new zombie bros and hit the road (possibly with Judith).

Yeah, I don't think Judith's dead. Upon rewatching, the bottom of the crib didn't seem to be smeared with enough blood for her to be dead. And I think if a zombie had eaten her, it would've done it right there and not carried her off, and would've left a lot more blood and gore, even if she did get eaten whole, bones and all, like Lori was.

Seems more likely to me that someone who was covered in blood picked her up.

You forgot Daryl and Beth! I am hoping that the timing is right and that when he ran into her desperately looking for Judith that they could have found her and picked her up, killed a guy over the car seat who then turns and stumbles away before Rick and Carl show up.

I have a feeling the network was just like, Nope, not showing a mutilated baby on TV, sorry. :( Not that I WANT to see a mutilated baby, just that it leaves her fate so very vague, and they're underestimating their audience if they wanted us to draw the same conclusions as Rick and Carl.

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
I tried to explain what happened in the show to my dad, and started off simple, with Hershel and the Governers deaths.

:downs: "So, two main characters--like, the actors' names were in the main credits--died.
:v: "Well, it is a zombie show."
:downs: "Zombies did not kill either of them. The first guy was an old guy who was being held hostage by the second guy. So, the main good guy did this Friendship Speech, and everything was cool, then the evil guy sliced the old man's neck with a sword, and in the following hellhole, the old guy tried to crawl away, but evil dude was all "Nope!" and cut the old guys' head off. Then, later, evil guy got beat up by the main good guy, run through with the same sword, and then got shot in the head by his girlfriend."
:v: :stare:
:downs: "Yep."

The next (This) morning, while backing my car up and around the icy driveway, I ran into his truck, causing what he estimated to be $3,000 in damages. This does not bode well for the rest of the week.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

SocketWrench posted:

We don't know for sure what was going on. After the battle the focus left Rick and co to focus on the Governor. We don't know how much time had actually passed at that point. A day? a few days? a week?

Rick and Carl walk around and stomp the surviving zombies. It's peaceful, you can hear the crickets. The other group drives up in van. No zombies anywhere in the field or in the compound or around the fences.
Daytime shot: After the battle we see them cleaning up dead zombies still. Daryl was still asking where Carol was. The inner fence is actually still broken and there's no zombies in sight. There's a hole in the defences, people are walking around and talking. Herschel makes a joke about wanting fresh air.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

SocketWrench posted:

I'm wondering if people complaining about "inaccuracy from ex-military" actually know how often military people go through ammo and not hit anything. The army in attack formations is trained to suppressing fire and manuver on their target, not sit back and take super elite sniper shots like they were expected half a century ago

To be honest I was more bothered by the prison group taking cover behind a chain link fence.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

SocketWrench posted:

The day after the battle they showed Rick and Carl working in the garden, Michonne and Hershel talking and laughing, and things starting to somewhat stabilize for them. Then it slowly panned out to the Governor watching them. Focus switches to the Governor backstory, culminating in him capturing Michonne and Hershel. I think if it had been any more than a few hours between the end of the prison crisis and the Governor showing up with his militia and hostages, the prison crew would have been wondering "Where the hell did Michonne and Hershel go?"

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

SocketWrench posted:

To be fair, it's more of a point about the inconsistency in how the show depicts people shooting zombies and people shooting people. It doesn't bother me much, I think it's more important that a scene is faithful to its thematic/narrative purpose than to accurate portrayal of the characters' combat ability, but there you go.

Also I'd like to say I'm surprised how goons are expecting participants in a violent conflict to be calm, rational actors after both sides have drawn blood and bullets are whizzing about. But you know, I'm not really surprised so hey. I'll admit it's a little shaky how the Gov got the camp on his side, but it's not wholly unimaginable. I don't think there's an exact timetable for the events of the last three episodes, so it's not like we have to assume the camp went under the Gov's control overnight.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Takezio posted:

I tried to explain what happened in the show to my dad, and started off simple, with Hershel and the Governers deaths.

:downs: "So, two main characters--like, the actors' names were in the main credits--died.
:v: "Well, it is a zombie show."
:downs: "Zombies did not kill either of them. The first guy was an old guy who was being held hostage by the second guy. So, the main good guy did this Friendship Speech, and everything was cool, then the evil guy sliced the old man's neck with a sword, and in the following hellhole, the old guy tried to crawl away, but evil dude was all "Nope!" and cut the old guys' head off. Then, later, evil guy got beat up by the main good guy, run through with the same sword, and then got shot in the head by his girlfriend."
:v: :stare:
:downs: "Yep."

The next (This) morning, while backing my car up and around the icy driveway, I ran into his truck, causing what he estimated to be $3,000 in damages. This does not bode well for the rest of the week.

Maybe I read it wrong, but I took the Governor finishing off Hershel as a mercy. Although admittedly if my reading is correct using the hilt of the sword to bash in his brains before chopping his head off was kind of a dick move.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

SocketWrench posted:

After Rick/Carl held off the wave, the very next day the governor was looming outside the gate, when he captured Michonne and Herschel.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Herschel smiling before getting got was hands down the best thing about this episode, by the by.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

That DICK! posted:

Maybe I read it wrong, but I took the Governor finishing off Hershel as a mercy. Although admittedly if my reading is correct using the hilt of the sword to bash in his brains before chopping his head off was kind of a dick move.

I too thought it was kinda wierd how he didnt take his head clean off with the first swipe but then again, thatd be relatively clean compared to Hershel bleeding out for presumably a couple minutes and squirming around before being hacked at a few more times :stare:

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

verybad posted:

Herschel smiling before getting got was hands down the best thing about this episode, by the by.

Yeah that was a really cool moment. Seems like he knew he was going to die, but he got to see Rick finally embrace what he had been trying to teach him this whole time.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
This is the dude that reminded me of fruit man Sam

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Baldbeard posted:

Rick and Carl walk around and stomp the surviving zombies. It's peaceful, you can hear the crickets. The other group drives up in van. No zombies anywhere in the field or in the compound or around the fences.
Daytime shot: After the battle we see them cleaning up dead zombies still. Daryl was still asking where Carol was. The inner fence is actually still broken and there's no zombies in sight. There's a hole in the defences, people are walking around and talking. Herschel makes a joke about wanting fresh air.
I always figured they gunned down the zombies inside, made sure none were still moving then went to fix the fence and fend off any that staggered out of the forest drawn by the fire. It being peaceful right after the fight doesn't mean much since it would take a while for zombies to react and get there, none of that would be particularly interesting to show though. As for there being no zombies in the field when the other group shows up, that is hours later, they could easily have stabbed the newly arrived group of zombies in the face and left them in a pile off screen, conveniently relieving AMC of the necessity to pay extras, make up artists and special effects people :v:

I hadn't noticed a hole in the fence still being there though, that would pretty much negate my theory and is also pretty dumb/sloppy.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Dracorion posted:

Yeah, I don't think Judith's dead.

I thought she was the zombie Carl shot at the end.

You see because they looked at the spot she was supposed to be but only found blood, then looked up and saw a zombie, so clearly that zombie was Judith.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I think Judith is dead simply because of the limitations she'd put on the group being on the run with no shelter when the show comes back.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

No way Judith missing is just the hook for the spin off series "Telltale Games Presents: The Walking Dead: Little Asskicker chronicles."

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Isn't the way Rick says Judith a bit weird? I feel like he says Juduth.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Bread Set Jettison posted:

No way Judith missing is just the hook for the spin off series "Telltale Games Presents: The Walking Dead: Little Asskicker chronicles."

I was really hoping the kids would give the baby two pistols

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Finally managed to watch Talking Dead from last night, and holy poo poo, I will never get over the fact that Carl's stunt double is a 31 year old woman. :aaaaa:

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

No More Heroes posted:

It doesnt matter to me where it goes since the only problems I had with the whole season was the prison and the gov, both of which are gone for good. I loved this episode and cant wait for feb. RIP Hershel, never forget.

Same here. The Gov was a good villain but he overstayed his welcome way too much. Can't wait for February either. Maybe they'll do a "six months later" style gap and bring us in the thick of everything when they start back up.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Carl should absolutely marry the crazy little girl and lead a legion of their vicious warrior offspring to reclaim the Earth.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.

BORK! BORK! posted:

I can't be the only person who noticed this little fella.

He just looks so drat shocked :stonk:

From the last page, but no, I had to rewind to show that to my fiancé. "What the gently caress just happened?!"

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

The REAL Gtab Fan posted:

Did Carol teach those two girls how to shoot? I mean I know she taught them how to use knives so we can assume. They dropped both of the Woodbury 2.0 guys with one shot each.

I thought the same thing, but then decided I didn't care because it looked cool. Pretty soon they're gonna be riding around bad-rear end mini bikes, kinda like this, they're so badass.

messagemode1 posted:

No one watches this show.
To be fair, last season was terrible. They may have just gotten fed up with Andrea bullshit and skipped a couple of episodes. Or the Lori's ghost episodes.

Bored fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 2, 2013

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Invisible Children, led by Tyreese Kony

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Anyone got the stunt double screens? I'm not observant, as per expectations. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

That DICK! posted:

Considering the governor's history with severed, but still animate, heads in season 3, I don't there's any way his motives for decapitating Herschel could be benevolent.

• Locked thread