Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Maybe someone will ask Rob Anders about Nelson Mandela today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Yes, I think Thatcher was an awful woman, but I also know she also was a transformational figure in conservative politics. It's entirely normal that modern day conservatives might admire the effectiveness with which she shifted the discourse in Britain and in the West generally without subscribing wholesale to her worst beliefs.

In any case, attacking our conservatives for some crime Thatcher did only plays in a small, hyper-aware left-wing audience. Attacking them for what they've actually done in Canada is a lot more like what we have to do.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
In other news: Alberta attempts to outlaw/break all Unions once and for all.

quote:

If there’s a hint of a work stoppage, just a puff of smoke from a shop floor, the union will have to forfeit $1 million a day, unless it can convince the court it didn’t encourage the strike talk from locals or random militants.

Along with prohibitions against specific actions such as calling a strike vote, Bill 45 contains an exceptionally vague ban on “an act or threat to act that could reasonably be perceived as preparation for an employees’ strike.”

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I think it's a safe bet Harper was pro-regime too, given the circles he ran in at the time, so let's just keep that in mind when he's speechifying about the inspiring struggles and universal message of a certain figure.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This is pretty scary. So Unions are going to be bankrupted. Super villain evil.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
It's important to keep in mind that bills 45 and 46 are specifically targeted towards the public sector unions (which are the largest ones in the province), but yes, this is some really horrendously hosed-up poo poo.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

PittTheElder posted:

True, but we can bring them back. Ideally I would just charge any vehicle that's registered outside the city, white not charging people in Calgary-proper, who would pay through the taxation system.

I agree completely. I think this should also apply to all other city-provided parking, including on-street parking and all city parkades. We might also consider a congestion charge to alleviate traffic in the downtown area and/or increase income.

quote:

And don't you still have to pay some fee for reserved parking?

You sure do, and at the moment there's a waiting list at most stations, I believe. There's still a waiting list for spots in the Centennial Parkade downtown and those run something like $600/month. The average person cannot afford to drive downtown on a regular basis, yet there's still a chronic shortage of parking.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

brucio posted:

Maybe someone will ask Rob Anders about Nelson Mandela today.

Maybe someone will run up to Rob Anders and kick him square in the nuts; I think that would be even better.

Even his constituents and the local riding association want to toss him, but not quite badly enough to vote for a not-Conservative.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

PT6A posted:

I agree completely. I think this should also apply to all other city-provided parking, including on-street parking and all city parkades. We might also consider a congestion charge to alleviate traffic in the downtown area and/or increase income.

I definitely don't think we want to be doing this though. The whole idea is to try and stop people from driving into downtown during peak hours, which is a pretty decent objective I think. Thus downtown parking should be expensive no matter where you're from.

Congestion charge I could be on board with, though how many places in North America even have one?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

I definitely don't think we want to be doing this though. The whole idea is to try and stop people from driving into downtown during peak hours, which is a pretty decent objective I think. Thus downtown parking should be expensive no matter where you're from.

I agree; I don't think parking should be "cheap" for residents of the city, except perhaps on-street parking during non-peak times (with a 2-hour max, people can't park there all day anyway), I'm just saying I think people with plates registered outside the city should pay a little bit extra. However:

quote:

Congestion charge I could be on board with, though how many places in North America even have one?

I think a congestion charge would be a better way of accomplishing this. According to Wikipedia, no North American cities currently do this, but toll roads are common in the US and are used on at least one bridge going into Vancouver, possibly more. Ideally, I think a good system would be to have three price zones: 1 for those who live in the zone itself (I believe London offers a 90% discount over the standard charge), another for those who live in the city, and a third for those who live outside the city.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Hey so after a false start, the NDP is rolling ahead with a beta test for a new database system.

Let's check in and see how it's going!

quote:

All tests are to be performed in Internet Explorer 9. If your system is using IE 10 you can switch to IE 9 compatibility mode by pressing F12 and then changing “Browser Mode” to “IE 9 Compatibility View.

H
E
L
P

Sovy Kurosei
Oct 9, 2012
It sounds unfinished if they don't feel confident to test it with different web browsers already.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

This is pretty scary. So Unions are going to be bankrupted. Super villain evil.

It's managed to produce one of the weirdest alliances in modern politics: the AEPU and the Wildrose Party.

Justin Trudeau
Apr 4, 2009

There's a level of admiration I actually have for China because their basic dictatorship is allowing them to actually turn their economy around on a dime

Vermain posted:

It's managed to produce one of the weirdest alliances in modern politics: the AEPU and the Wildrose Party.

quote:

EDMONTON, AB (December 2, 2013): Wildrose House Leader and Finance Critic Rob Anderson has issued the following statement on the government’s controversial Bills 45 and 46:

“The Wildrose believes strongly in respecting the rule of law and upholding contracts including collective bargaining agreements. Negotiating a collective bargaining agreement that is fair for taxpayers is an important goal; however, it does not give the government the right to terminate the legal arbitration rights of public sector employees.

“In 1977, Premier Peter Lougheed provided public sector employees the right to binding arbitration as an alternative to removing their right to strike. We believe that this was and still is a fair compromise that should be upheld.

“For these reasons the Wildrose will be actively opposing Bill 46 in the Legislature and will repeal Bill 46 and reinstate those lost arbitration rights should Wildrose form government in 2016.

“We will also be proposing Bill 45 amendments that protect the free speech rights of individual public sector workers to express opposition to the decisions or tactics of government, while supporting provisions in the Bill that deter the organization of illegal strikes by union leadership. It should be noted, however, there are already laws prohibiting illegal strikes including an expedited court process to end them, which is why the timing of Bill 45 is counterproductive as it unnecessarily creates suspicion and bad faith during the negotiation process.

“The Wildrose is committed to fiscal prudence and balanced budgets. However, we will not balance the budget on the backs of front line public sector workers and services, nor will we unilaterally terminate the legal rights of any Albertan. This should never be the Alberta way of doing business. It is, however, increasingly the Redford PC way of doing business.

“We are also sure Premier Redford and the PCs will make all sorts of promises to our front line public sector employees prior to the 2016 election just as they did before the 2012 election. The difference now of course, is that Albertans know exactly how much those promises are worth.”

- See more at: http://www.wildrose.ca/feature/anderson-releases-statement-on-bills-45-and-46/#sthash.sWVseMqz.dpuf
:psyboom:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Vermain posted:

I think you mean the AUPE, and it makes sense considering that Wild Rose are mostly American-style libertarians and not Tories.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Vermain posted:

My reaction too.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
When even Wildrose thinks you've gone too far, you should probably just retire with all the bribe money you've clearly been raking in.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
I can't imagine this would hold up (at least not in this form) under SCC scrutiny. I know our freedom of speech isn't as broad as it is down south but I don't think they can make it illegal to TALK about a strike, especially since (correct me if I'm wrong here) it seems like it's on the union to prove they weren't planning a strike, not the other way around.

edit: It's also interesting watching this happen in Alberta when Christy is going the opposite way in BC, offering 5.5% over five years plus a bonus based on economic growth to try and pull the unions into another long-term deal. So far the HSA and the BCGEU have bit, and their contracts won't be up again until well after the next election. I don't know if I like the deal but I admit it's a smart move.

MikeSevigny fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 6, 2013

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Pertaining to that, the premier is a little tone deaf on the matter:

quote:

Speaking to reporters Tuesday, Redford called it a “difficult situation,” but said public servants appreciate the efforts.

“You can imagine that as premier, since we’ve introduced this legislation, I’ve had the opportunity to work with an awful lot of public servants every day and my sense is that there’s an appreciation for what we’re trying to do,” Redford said.
The wife works for the government. The mood at work is less 'appreciative' and more 'BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD'.

I advised her to go on strike over the matter and wound up breaking the law! Whoops!

PT6A posted:

Would anyone like to explain to me why a city tax would be better than the same tax administered and collected by the province?
Because municipalities, especially after the era of 'downloading' in the 90s, provide a substantial proportion of the quality-of-life services that citizens expect while receiving a miniscule proportion of the total tax bill. Police, fire, roads, transit, snow removal, garbage collection, recreation facilities, and parks are all municipal responsibilities in Alberta, but the funding is dependent on provincial government largesse - which usually fails to come through.* At least if the city was collecting a tax it would flow to municipal priorities.

*Example: Edmonton's LRT expansion keeps slipping due to a lack of funding from the feds and the province. The initial plan (in 2009) was for the entire west-to-southeast line to open in 2017. As it stands, the earliest that the east half of the line will open is in 2020... but since there's no firm commitment from other levels of government for enough funding to start construction, there's still no start date for the project. The west half doesn't have any dates, and I'll be lucky if it's open in time for my pending kid to attend university using it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Albino Squirrel posted:

*Example: Edmonton's LRT expansion keeps slipping due to a lack of funding from the feds and the province. The initial plan (in 2009) was for the entire west-to-southeast line to open in 2017. As it stands, the earliest that the east half of the line will open is in 2020... but since there's no firm commitment from other levels of government for enough funding to start construction, there's still no start date for the project. The west half doesn't have any dates, and I'll be lucky if it's open in time for my pending kid to attend university using it.

We're in the exact same boat here in Calgary too. A SE leg of our LRT has been on the planning board for 20 years; the city owns all the land it needs, but has no funding to actually build anything*. The current estimate for completion is apparently 2039. But I'm sure it won't be done then either.

Meanwhile there's growing clamour for a new Centre-North line too. I won't say they don't need it, but I will bet they'll never get it.

*Except for a west leg of the LRT to where all the richest people live I guess. That definitely got built.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

PittTheElder posted:

We're in the exact same boat here in Calgary too. A SE leg of our LRT has been on the planning board for 20 years; the city owns all the land it needs, but has no funding to actually build anything*. The current estimate for completion is apparently 2039. But I'm sure it won't be done then either.

Meanwhile there's growing clamour for a new Centre-North line too. I won't say they don't need it, but I will bet they'll never get it.

*Except for a west leg of the LRT to where all the richest people live I guess. That definitely got built.

Pretty sure that line got build because Bronco owned all that land and got a pretty penny from the city. That line is always empty. Even at peak times.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Demon_Corsair posted:

Pretty sure that line got build because Bronco owned all that land and got a pretty penny from the city. That line is always empty. Even at peak times.

I know people who use it (they live in Westgate), and in the early afternoon (before rush hour capacity is added) it always seems pretty full when it stops at Downtown-Kerby eastbound. I think it could've been routed better, and I think the routing was due to Bronco's corruption, which is total bullshit, and it should've been run down to MRU, but I don't think it's useless or bad.

And is it really necessary that a train be packed like sardines for a line to be considered well-utilized? Really, we should strive to offer a level of service that won't result in physical discomfort on a regular basis, on both train and bus routes. Also, busses and trains shouldn't be so full on a regular basis that they have to pass stops entirely.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 6, 2013

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Albino Squirrel posted:

Pertaining to that, the premier is a little tone deaf on the matter:

The wife works for the government. The mood at work is less 'appreciative' and more 'BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD'.

I advised her to go on strike over the matter and wound up breaking the law! Whoops!

If modern unions are legislated into a 'strike-or-die' situation, does it matter if striking is actually made illegal? "They can't arrest all of us!" has pretty much always been the underlying theory of unionization.

The tories are jumping the gun. The best strategy has proven to be extremely gradual erosion via global competition and increased automation, until unions eventually dissolve. They'll get what they want in the end because worldwide labor can't really organize whereas capital is globally mobile, the conditions for an inevitable victory. Trying to force the issue would just breath life into the labor rights movement.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Did anyone see the interview with Ford's brother where he rejected the idea that he was a politician and then denounced politicians as being liars, cheats, and thieves?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Pinterest Mom posted:

Yes, I think Thatcher was an awful woman, but I also know she also was a transformational figure in conservative politics. It's entirely normal that modern day conservatives might admire the effectiveness with which she shifted the discourse in Britain and in the West generally without subscribing wholesale to her worst beliefs.

In any case, attacking our conservatives for some crime Thatcher did only plays in a small, hyper-aware left-wing audience. Attacking them for what they've actually done in Canada is a lot more like what we have to do.

Has anyone really gone after Harper for being against universal health care? I don't seem to recall anyone doing it. Or maybe Ignatieff did it in a terrible way.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Dolash posted:

If modern unions are legislated into a 'strike-or-die' situation, does it matter if striking is actually made illegal? "They can't arrest all of us!" has pretty much always been the underlying theory of unionization.

The tories are jumping the gun. The best strategy has proven to be extremely gradual erosion via global competition and increased automation, until unions eventually dissolve. They'll get what they want in the end because worldwide labor can't really organize whereas capital is globally mobile, the conditions for an inevitable victory. Trying to force the issue would just breath life into the labor rights movement.

Just look at Britain or the United States. The advent of neoliberalism involved very vicious strikebreaking, most famously with the Air Traffic Controllers in the USA and the Miners strike in Britain. There was also a huge wave of labour unrest in the 1970s that involved a lot of illegal firings for union organization, and throughout North America places like Wal Mart use extremely hard ball tactics to prevent their stores from being unionized.

It simply isn't true that the erosion caused by 'globalization' has been gradual. There is a gradual component, sure, but its punctuated by incredibly contentious and brutal conflicts including lockouts, mass firings and hiring scabs. What the Albertan government is contemplating here would very much be par for the course.

Not knowing enough about the specifics of the situation I can't say whether or not Redford is overextending herself but I can definitely tell you that you're misreading the situation if you think the decline of unions was due to 'gradual erosion'.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Has anyone really gone after Harper for being against universal health care? I don't seem to recall anyone doing it. Or maybe Ignatieff did it in a terrible way.

Problem is Harper and the Conservatives haven't made an actual move against Universal Health Care. It's true Harper had expressed anti-public health care views in the past and a good portion of the Conservative Party would like to do it, however it's clear that the Progressive faction of the Conservative Party would revolt and split things back into two parties.

Even then, it's hard to say how far Harper would go even if he had backing from the Progressives. Odds are he'd simply devolve more of Health Care to the provinces and give them permission to stay public or go private, something he's been doing a bit in office anyways.

Really the claim about the Conservatives going to kill Health Care is pure fear mongering... and besides there are plenty of very real and horrible things the Conservatives have actually been doing, like gutting foriegn policy, people should care about.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Shadoer posted:

Really the claim about the Conservatives going to kill Health Care is pure fear mongering... and besides there are plenty of very real and horrible things the Conservatives have actually been doing, like gutting foriegn policy, people should care about.

...but they don't.

I think it's a much more effective smear to spend money saying the Conservatives are going to take away your grandma's healthcare.

The left never plays dirty. They should.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The Liberals may have done it once or twice.

Every election.

In increasingly desperate ways.

In 2004, Stephen Harper was going to "sacrifice Canadian-style health care for US style tax cuts", and "when he's through with Canada, you won't recognise it" over an image of a dissolving Canadian flag.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qqtCxLq5JU

In 2006, they warned of Harper's plan to privatise healthcare as part of their "scary black and white photo of Harper with war drums and a scary narrator" series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMsqEph7a8I
Imagine that ad but the voiceover says "Stephen Harper's stand on public health care? '... Provinces have allowed private health care services in the past. Why should I care? Why should the Federal government care how they're managed?' Seriously, that's what he said. Well, Paul Martin cares very much, Mr. Harper. And so do Canadians."

In 2008 they took the election off, out of some combination of being broke, Dion not wanting to go neg, and the party not authorising an ad blitz in the last week. (True story: Dion asked the party to spend a couple million on ads in the last week of the campaign, and the party said "nah we'll keep the money good luck".)

In 2011 they took a more subtle tack, saying Stephen Harper was demanding ABSOLUTE POWER and saying he would cut health care over the sound of a flat line. Because Harper wants to kill your family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP1qHX7qOeg

Now that Harper's had a majority government and, um, hasn't destroyed health care, I'm not sure it's going to work any better next time than it did the last three.

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009
I always figured that a lot of the cuts to healthcare funds the federal government transfers to the provinces was part of a long term agenda to put the provinces in a position where they had no choice but to incorporate private elements into health care? I was under the impression this was a foregone conclusion so someone let me know if i'm worng. TIA

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
So the Liberals tried and did it terribly. Now that I think about it, I think I recall the flatline video.

Thanks Pinterest Mom.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Harper has cut the rate of growth in healthcare spending which and wants to tie future transfer payments on healthcare to the rate of economic growth, which will quite likely remain tepid for the foreseeable future. That isn't quite the same as actually cutting health care (and given the Liberal record in 90s under Chretien its pretty laughable when Liberals try to spook people about how the scary mean conservatives will cut your healthcare) but it should be kept in mind during a discussion like this one.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

lowly abject turd posted:

I always figured that a lot of the cuts to healthcare funds the federal government transfers to the provinces was part of a long term agenda to put the provinces in a position where they had no choice but to incorporate private elements into health care? I was under the impression this was a foregone conclusion so someone let me know if i'm worng. TIA

The feds aren't cutting health care transfer funds, they're slowing the growth from 6%/yr to 3%/yr or GDP growth, whichever is higher. You'll note that perpetual increases of 6%/yr would have eaten up ever-increasing portions of the federal budget in an unsustainable way.

Over the 2000-2010 decade, growth in provincial health care spending was about 7%/yr, but it's actually been <3% for the last two years (and the 3% only comes into effect in 2017, so the provinces came out ahead these past two years).

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Pinterest Mom posted:

Hey so after a false start, the NDP is rolling ahead with a beta test for a new database system.

Let's check in and see how it's going!

H
E
L
P

I guess the NDP can't afford to hire a proper web developer? I volunteered to help at my riding office and nothing ever came of it, though they said that they could use someone with my skills.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

This could be smart and also fun.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Probably just idle speculation, but Stevie does has a habit of hitting the reset button when the heat starts building up. As you say, could be interesting.

Also interesting listening to Harper's words in the House concerning Nelson Mendela. Mendela held a nation together when it should have dissolved into a bloodbath. I wonder what Harper's epitaph will be?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Albino Squirrel posted:

Probably a translation problem. "Appreciate" might actually mean "are fully aware of the scam you're trying to pull here". Similar to when the Secretary of State announced to the press during negotiations to free the American embassy hostages in Iran that he was seeking a compromise. Turns out the Persian translation of "comprise" has a negative connotation along the lines of "compromising your virtue". Cue the riots.

Years ago when I did my teaching certificate the way the mishandling of the labour situation in Alberta had crippled the education system was a case study for my education administration class. Might as well try again. Maybe this time the results will be different?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pinterest Mom posted:

This could be smart and also fun.

I can't wait to hear the talking points about an expensive election nobody wants. How exactly could the Conservatives spin this positively? I mean I don't doubt they'll find a way and probably already have one if they're seriously thinking about it, but to me the optics of calling an election in the early-mid stages of a serious corruption scandal in a majority government are just not good. Opportunistic at best and almost certainly cynical.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Seriously, an election less than 3 years into a 4.5 year mandate would be hard to spin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

It's always fairly easy to come up with a plausible reason for an election. Here are two:

-It's time to abolish the Senate, and I need a mandate from the Canadian people to do so
-It's time to clear the air, let the RCMP do its job, and get on with the business of governing.

brucio posted:

Seriously, an election less than 3 years into a 4.5 year mandate would be hard to spin.

Calling an election 3 years into his mandate worked for Chrétien twice.

• Locked thread