Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Turncoat Mommy posted:

You're bumming me out man, spvp mode is the best game mode, you should try it.

I don't think it's the sPvP game mode itself that people don't like. It's the monotonous maps and conquest-only game type, and the weird total seperation from the rest of the game that's really lame. Fixes sound like they're coming for all of that, which is great. But you really shouldn't be surprised that it's people's least favourite game mode of the 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Traxus IV posted:

And thank gently caress for that, poo poo's getting kind of ridiculous lately.

Coming back to GW2 as an ex-City of Heroes player I am getting serious Nemesis vibes from everything. "Everything is a Nemesis plot" was a recurring joke back there... :tinfoil:

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

WarLocke posted:

Coming back to GW2 as an ex-City of Heroes player I am getting serious Nemesis vibes from everything. "Everything is a Nemesis plot" was a recurring joke back there... :tinfoil:

I'll be honest, I'd be hype for an IP crossover event where Arachnos invades Tyria, but I guess Nemesis would do too.

Turn Divinity's Reach into a Recluse's Victory map, make it happen ANet

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Have we truly reached the point that no Scarlet is something to be celebrated?

quote:

Don't get too excited. If the Reactor Fractal is any indication, she's responsible for the shock pylons around the map.

Let's hope they lead to her death then.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Erdricks posted:

I know a number of our bigger and non-us based guilds pulled double shifts

lmbo

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Aleph Null posted:

Don't get too excited. If the Reactor Fractal is any indication, she's responsible for the shock pylons around the map.

Honestly I feel pretty confident that seasonal stuff like Halloween, Wintersday, and SAB will remain Scarlet-free. They were around before she was and if they intend to keep those events around without having to retool them overmuch every year then they'd likely have to make them separate from any living story nonsense going on at the time.

Now having said that I will begin the countdown until it is revealed that Scarlet is the reason Tyria has seasons at all, let alone seasonal content. She is such an incredible puppetmaster you guys look she's behind the Holiday Alliance of plastic spiders and renegade toys oh snaaaaaap

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Kinda expected the reward to be bad, the dolyak was enough for me to do it though.

Erdricks posted:

For what it's worth, the consensus on blackgate was that we would get five greens / blues. I know a number of our bigger and non-us based guilds pulled double shifts, and none of them did it for the rewards. It's kind of lame, but winning for the sake of beating everyone else was a much more powerful motivating force.

What's a double shift in wvw terms.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't think it's the sPvP game mode itself that people don't like. It's the monotonous maps and conquest-only game type, and the weird total seperation from the rest of the game that's really lame. Fixes sound like they're coming for all of that, which is great. But you really shouldn't be surprised that it's people's least favourite game mode of the 3.

Pretty much, spvp may be fun but after awhile you get bored of the same stuff again and again. It's like if CoF was the only dungeon.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I understand if esports mode isn't peoples thing or they don't like the implementation, for some reason being a horrible horrible person for playing it is something else.

The map things don't bother me since the appeal is fighting different teams and people with different builds and the map is more or less the setting.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Double shift is literally playing 12-16 hours per day. Seriously. And when I say "playing" I often mean standing in a tower refreshing siege, buying upgrades and shouting to team/map about incoming. Sometimes it's leading a PUG zerg to paper towers/keeps but it could also be chaperoning Dolyaks. It is a sad, sad thing.

edit: Mommy, the truth is, I'm just bad at sPvP. It also gives me anxiety and makes my neck and back stiff and my eyes burn because I get too into it. :(

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
I'd see a doctor for that, but if you didn't have those medical problems, I would gladly help you become an esports superstar if you wished.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Turncoat Mommy posted:

I understand if esports mode isn't peoples thing or they don't like the implementation, for some reason being a horrible horrible person for playing it is something else.

The map things don't bother me since the appeal is fighting different teams and people with different builds and the map is more or less the setting.

People call people names in MMOs all the time, calling someone horrible for enjoying sPvP is something you should either embrace or ignore. Don't take it seriously and react to it.

The map and game type determines so much more than that, it's far more than "just the setting". It determines how you'll play, strategies, builds, overall flow and fun, popularity, everything.

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Double shift is literally playing 12-16 hours per day. Seriously. And when I say "playing" I often mean standing in a tower refreshing siege, buying upgrades and shouting to team/map about incoming.

That owns, people actually do this.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time
I treat sPvP the same way I treat a game like TF2. I play it to jump into a game and kill some dudes for a bit, then I go gently caress off and do something else. Same with WvW, Dungeons, JPs, or any part of this game. Hopping around to the different aspects of the game is why I'm still playing this game. It's nice to see there is going to be different sPvP maps introduced sometime in the future because capture point can get stale after a while. I think they may even get some of the hardcore pvp folk from other games to transfer over if certain modes are successful and decently balanced. They'll need to utilize the PvE vs PvP separation a bit more at some point which I think they've said in the past they don't like doing. I could be wrong, generally the PvP livestreams annoyed me in the past because the pro dudes would just ramble on about their favorite class and how they thought of a really neat idea to buff their class and make it more inline with whatever class they hate to fight.

With the way the one time use skins work now it seems like they may use the "Convert to PvP" button to send it to a universal game mode locker! I can only dream that someday this happens so I can spend all my money collecting gear sets for Achievement points. God help my wallet if this ever becomes a thing.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I've seen people say that it's not a problem, but I've repeatedly encountered points on my characters where I have done all the content at-level and then the next level of content is tougher than I can take. Plenty of discussion I've seen on the topic has praised that the game is always at-level with you but I don't find that the case and I'm not sure what I can do to remedy it other than play some severely ill equipped WvW.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Double shift is literally playing 12-16 hours per day. Seriously. And when I say "playing" I often mean standing in a tower refreshing siege, buying upgrades and shouting to team/map about incoming. Sometimes it's leading a PUG zerg to paper towers/keeps but it could also be chaperoning Dolyaks. It is a sad, sad thing.

This is music to my ears because it only confirms exactly what I expected. :allears:

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I've seen people say that it's not a problem, but I've repeatedly encountered points on my characters where I have done all the content at-level and then the next level of content is tougher than I can take. Plenty of discussion I've seen on the topic has praised that the game is always at-level with you but I don't find that the case and I'm not sure what I can do to remedy it other than play some severely ill equipped WvW.

All content at your level across all maps? The way xp is doled out, exploring and finishing events gives the most overall xp. Supplementing levels with WvW is one thing but you're going to be standing in the middle of oncoming traffic if you don't play cautiously with a zerg since people can rally off your body.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 6, 2013

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

CLAM DOWN posted:

People call people names in MMOs all the time, calling someone horrible for enjoying sPvP is something you should either embrace or ignore. Don't take it seriously and react to it.

The map and game type determines so much more than that, it's far more than "just the setting". It determines how you'll play, strategies, builds, overall flow and fun, popularity, everything.

That owns, people actually do this.

The most truly baffling WvW behavior I have seen is scouting.

Scouting pretty much amounts to doing what I put in that gif I posted for anywhere from 15 minutes to hours on end. It's extremely valuable for obvious reasons, to be able to differentiate between white swords on your tower to someone saying "20 shitbags on X tower, 3 rams down door @ 50%" or to deter 5 randoms from ninjaing your stuff, but jesus christ I'd rather take a bullet.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Gross, they're changing Arcane Wave to be a range targeted skill, while the new heal is PBAoE. Also, no heals will be instant after all. Also every new heal skill is 25 skill points to unlock across the board (all modes).

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
sPVP would be loads better if it had more map/game types, unfucked itself from trying to be an E-SPORT, did I mentioned more map/game types? Also pretend I empty quoted everything Clam said, it's pretty much bang on.

Hell even if I just gained XP for my alts via sPVP I'd probably play it a whole lot more vs. what I currently do which is not play it at all.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Do everything. I'm not being flippant, the game levelling experience seems to be based on you doing everything! Do some dungeons, do some crafting, do some WvW (gear does not remotely matter, get in a zerg and you're fine in whites). You will always outpace whatever level content you're at if you mix and match your gameplay.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

drat, 12k heal for A.E.D. on a lethal hit.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.

gandlethorpe posted:

Gross, they're changing Arcane Wave to be a range targeted skill, while the new heal is PBAoE. Also, no heals will be instant after all. Also every new heal skill is 25 skill points to unlock across the board (all modes).

Wait, you have to use skill points to unlock it in sPVP?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

That's what the devs had to do in the livestream.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

gandlethorpe posted:

Goddamnit. Just...goddamnit.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Here's Blackgate's secret to WvW domination, besides having a large EU/SEA playerbase - we have a spreadsheet and guilds sign up for slots to ensure maximum coverage. And yes, much of it is just refreshing siege and informing the commanders about enemy movements - not the most exciting work to do. But people here really like WvW, really like to win, and at least aren't assholes about it, so whatever floats their boat.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Erdricks posted:

we have a spreadsheet and guilds sign up for slots to ensure maximum coverage

God, if Maguuma ever does that SFD will troll the poo poo out of it.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

God, if Maguuma ever does that SFD will troll the poo poo out of it.

Yeah gently caress those guys for playing how they like.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

gandlethorpe posted:

This but unironically

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Tomes are apparently 1,500 glory+20 silver.

Is 1,500 glory easy to get?

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Erdricks posted:

Here's Blackgate's secret to WvW domination, besides having a large EU/SEA playerbase - we have a spreadsheet and guilds sign up for slots to ensure maximum coverage. And yes, much of it is just refreshing siege and informing the commanders about enemy movements - not the most exciting work to do. But people here really like WvW, really like to win, and at least aren't assholes about it, so whatever floats their boat.

Boat-floating aside, that sounds tedious and awful and it's kind of a shame that such things are necessary in order to do well in WvW.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1s9xpo/pvp_developer_livestream_notes/

quote:

Blog Q&A

Purchase Tome of Knowledge with gold and glory to level up your alts starting on Tuesday.
Ladders is a long term plan but not ready to talk too much about it yet.
There will be multiple updates related to the blog post changes.
Q:Should plays open their unopened tournament chests A: You will be able to break down the PvP gear for Luck, so keep it until Tuesday.
Q: How will my PvP gear look carry over? A: We are not ready to talk about it at this time as we are still working on it. Build your collection and don’t break down everything you got.
Q: What will happen to existing PvP crafting mats? A: PvP crafting will go away (not on Tues but with the next big update). These will become junk items once the update hits.
Q: What will happen to glory boosters? A: Glory is going away (not on Tues but with the next big update). Start using your glory booster now.
Q: Gold rate? A: It is not our intent to make PvP a good place to farm. We are looking at average gold rates similar to those playing PvE.
Q: Retroactively add gold? A: That is something we cannot do, it would shock our economy.
Q: People walk in and buy everything with gold? A: New vendor requires both gold and glory.
Q: Ranks A: It is a pretty controversial change. We have being talking about this a bunch internally. We have decided we are going to keep ranks. We cannot keep them in their current format and once we have a better plan we will let you know. We are planning to boost 3x rank points for solo arena, 5x rank points for team arena from the tournament chests.

PvP Rewards

Glory rewards vendor – temporary vendor. http://i.imgur.com/2zAWLdF.jpg
Tome of knowledge – 1500 glory and 20 silver. Account bound.
PvP Mystery Coffer – 200 glory and 4 silver 80 copper. It has thing you probably have not seen (i.e. from super high ranks). Most armor and weapons. You can salvage them to get Luck to increase your account wide magic find.
PvP Salvage kit – 100 glory
20 slot leather bag – 6000 glory and 6 gold.
18 slot leather bag – 2000 glory and 1 gold.
12 slot leather bag – 1000 glory and 20 silver.
8 slot bag – 500 glory
Custom arena starter kit: 200,000 glory.
Dungeon armor – 5000 glory and 2 gold 50 silver for kodan, 10,000 glory and 5 gold for inquest, 15k glory and 7 gold 50 silver for orrian. etc. Cost is for whole set.
Cultural armor set – 20k glory 1g50silver for tier 1. 40k glory and 3g50silver for tier 2.. 60k glory and 60 gold for tier 3. Prices for for whole sets.
Custom Arenas – how much do I get if I win. 15 silver per win in custom arenas. You get 10 silver for a loss. Daily cap is 5 gold. We are afraid of botters so the cap is there. The cap only applies to custom arenas.
Solo Arenas – win is 25 silver. loss is 12.5 silver. Daily cap is 15 gold.
Team Arena – win is 30 silver. Loss is 15 silver. Daily cap is 15 gold.

They said not to break down your pvp collection for luck as there will be some kind of new "system" and to keep building your collection.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Well, unless they change how much you get per match, the rewards currently stand at: 125 for playing, +75 for a win, +25 if you volunteered for autobalance*, and +5 per top player award you picked up. If the match is shorter than 8:30 or so, the rewards scale down a bit.

*Kicks in regardless if you got picked for it, if there was more than one volunteer, and if you do get picked you also automatically get the win bonus regardless of whether or not your new team wins. Yes, there is indeed incentive to smash the other team so badly that they start ragequitting. Also only applies to hotjoin, Single/Team Queue don't autobalance.

Edit: Oh, and lest I forget, you can pop Glory Boosters for 50% more Glory for an hour; you'll get one for free whenever you finish the daily, and I believe another 10 for the monthly. Also a chance to pick them up in spvp chests, I think. They tend to pile up if you don't burn them.

Unoriginal One fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 7, 2013

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

quote:

Q: Gold rate? A: It is not our intent to make PvP a good place to farm. We are looking at average gold rates similar to those playing PvE.

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I would really love to know Anets perceptions of how each facet of the game (including sub-sections like dungeons, fractals, champ trains, open world bosses) stack up in terms of how lucrative they are for gold.

Secret Sweater fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 7, 2013

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Alteisen posted:

If you do the pvp daily every day you should have it before the end of the third day. Earlier if you get lucky.

So...they're removing glory, but adding a vendor to buy stuff from for glory...what?

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
Those changes sound pretty neat, looking forward to tinkering in sPvP. Perfect timing with the goon sPvP interest guild! :buddy:

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Alteisen posted:

Yep. Especially if you have boosters. (daily gives a booster)

SlothBear posted:

If you do the pvp daily every day you should have it before the end of the third day. Earlier if you get lucky.

So...they're removing glory, but adding a vendor to buy stuff from for glory...what?

Temporary.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

gandlethorpe posted:

You're no fun!!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Oh okay, so dump all your glory on this stuff while you can sorta thing. Alright.

SierraNovember
Nov 3, 2011
DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE TELL ME THAT YOU'RE A WOMEN OR GAY. I'M SO TIRED OF PEOPLE TELLING ME THAT THAT I KEEP BREAKING MY FUCKING KEYBOARD. GOD JUST READING THAT MAKES ME WANT TO BASH IT IN UNTIL EVERYTHING IS COVERED WITH BLOOD, FLESH, AND BONE AAAARGHAARHGHGHAHRHHFFF
I like WvW because people playing it allow me to get richer mining orichalcum twice per node!

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Alteisen posted:

Assuming 50% win rate, about 8 hotjoin games more or less. Solo queue would take less games.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
2nd place bronze WvW chest reward (which, I believe, are markedly better then last place gold league :smug:)

Mini Dolyak
4 golds
7 greens
1 taste of liquid WvW
9 tomes of knowledge, drat
5 scrolls of knowledge
500 luck
100 dragonite
100 empyreal

:toot:

edit: and 34 pieces of cold hard copper

HaroldofTheRock fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:toot: A permanent reminder for our cheevo-panes.

• Locked thread