Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

tehinternet posted:

Good luck getting into their deployment lol
If someone is UCAVing from their deployment zone then they aren't going to be able to hit very much, at least on most maps. Some rush maps might have a problem, but that's it.

Like he said, the max range is about 400 meters. As someone with 500 UCAV kills, I can tell you that I almost never sit in my deployment zone. It's way too limiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

E2M2 posted:

This Emblem is loving impressive

http://emblemsbf.com/emblem-9265.html

There's some really good ones there.

It's just that most of what's there is pretty tasteless so you have to dig for the good stuff.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Uranium 235 posted:

If someone is UCAVing from their deployment zone then they aren't going to be able to hit very much, at least on most maps. Some rush maps might have a problem, but that's it.

Like he said, the max range is about 400 meters. As someone with 500 UCAV kills, I can tell you that I almost never sit in my deployment zone. It's way too limiting.

Does the UCAV use the Jet keybindings? I try to use the C button for 3rd person but I can only use the 1st person which is a lot less fun on non-goon servers since apparently pubbies think spotting is just something that just magically happens if your faith is strong enough or some poo poo.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Uranium 235 posted:

Rush is where this shines. Rush forever. Win loss is for scrubs, K/D is for winners

Honestly, there is nothing I want more than to have a full team UCAV while attacking just to bathe in the defender's tears.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Does the UCAV use the Jet keybindings? I try to use the C button for 3rd person but I can only use the 1st person which is a lot less fun on non-goon servers since apparently pubbies think spotting is just something that just magically happens if your faith is strong enough or some poo poo.

The UCAV is a TV missile and uses TV missile controls. Full mouse, no fancy rudder/aileron split. Want to go left, mouse left, etc.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Robot Randy posted:

Apparently multikills with the bomber don't count towards bomber ribbons. loving :dice:
3 kills equal a bomber ribbon so if you get a multikill it does go towards achieving it.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

UCAV on defense of Rush is just crazy. Especially if the attackers have a chopper. You can pretty much shut down their use of vehicles, and also punish the hell out of their troops with the drat thing. It's amazing.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
There are parts of this game that still confuse me. Earlier I was performing a melee takedown; I ran to the target from behind, spun them around and planted the knife in their chest. Before I pull it out, I get spun around and get knifed in my chest and die. I looked at my weapon stats and it looks like I never got credit for the kill. I just got the Bowie knife and that would have been the first kill, but it isn't there.

I have shot enough enemies when they were performing takedowns that I have just assumed that unless there is a knife counter, the kill goes through. Hell, I've walked up to guys and put 2 .44 mag shots in their head from 3 feet and they still finish before dying. So my question is, if you perform a melee takedown on someone performing one as well, is that considered a counter and stops their kill?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Can somebody explain how guided shells for the MBTs work? Is there a minimum distance or anything?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Inspector_666 posted:

Can somebody explain how guided shells for the MBTs work? Is there a minimum distance or anything?

Don't think so. Just lock on and fire. It should appear from the barrel of your tank and fly towards the target. I don't think it does a top down attack or anything special.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Inspector_666 posted:

They're really awesome. I'm not sure what their distancing works like but it's kind of like having a LAW tank shell. Apparently you can fire both cannons consecutively but I can't seem to get it working with AP shells.

E: I might be thinking of the last unlock

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Don't think so. Just lock on and fire. It should appear from the barrel of your tank and fly towards the target. I don't think it does a top down attack or anything special.

Doesn't it do a top-down attack if the target is painted? That might have been the case in BF3, I don't remember.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Gonkish posted:

Doesn't it do a top-down attack if the target is painted? That might have been the case in BF3, I don't remember.

SRAW does a top attack on painted targets so everything else probably does too.

edit: it's not like the LAW where it flies straight at the aim point until it gets in range and then pops up and down real fast, it's more like the Stinger where it goes way up immediately after launch and then starts tracking.

Griz fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 9, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bob NewSCART posted:

They're really awesome. I'm not sure what their distancing works like but it's kind of like having a LAW tank shell. Apparently you can fire both cannons consecutively but I can't seem to get it working with AP shells.

E: I might be thinking of the last unlock

Definitely can't do both guided shell and ap/sabot shell back to back. They all share a reload now.

edit: looks like I am wrong. Need to test this again.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 9, 2013

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Definitely can't do both guided shell and ap/sabot shell back to back. They all share a reload now.

Not sure if it's a glitch, but sabot & staff shells fire back to back sometimes. I just switch immediately and spam the fire button and get a double shot like half of the time. It drops armor so fast that I don't bother with MGs anymore although it makes you a bit more vulnerable to engineers.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Tell that to the 20+ tanks I vaporized last night. :smug:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lilspooky posted:

Tell that to the 20+ tanks I vaporized last night. :smug:

Are you doing Sabot + guided? I tried AP + every other shell and couldn't get it to work so I just switched to HMG for my secondary. Maybe :dice: broke it during one of their patches(like burst fire jamming), or it only works with sabot.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Ya Sabot + STAFF. Just takes a moment to fire the first STAFF after you shoot your first Sabot but then it's machine gun time!

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

CombatBonta-kun posted:

So my question is, if you perform a melee takedown on someone performing one as well, is that considered a counter and stops their kill?

Well yes, they get interrupted, and in knife only servers you can get quite a streak going if you do those in the middle of a huge melee.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
I'm expecting a serious nerf to the UCAV soon.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sabot + Staff is such a good one-two punch and I get so many kills/vehicle destroys because of it. Staff shells are pretty nice too, good to shoot over a rock that an enemy tank is hiding behind as most of the time it'll home in once it gets over the rock. It's also funny seeing the shell completely spaz out sometimes and fly all around the tank at superfast speed. :laugh:

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Tommy 2.0 posted:

I'm expecting a serious nerf to the UCAV soon.
It's honestly not that bad. The long recharge time coupled with the short life span in the air doesn't make them as big a problem as some make it out to be.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I think all they need to figure out is how to make people stop MAVing/sUAVing/UcAVing from the uncap where the only way you can touch that guy is via suicide dropping on them via aircraft, in most cases...

or at the very least fix the anti-air missile immunity the MAV gets. Wow!

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

explosivo posted:

Sabot + Staff is such a good one-two punch and I get so many kills/vehicle destroys because of it. Staff shells are pretty nice too, good to shoot over a rock that an enemy tank is hiding behind as most of the time it'll home in once it gets over the rock. It's also funny seeing the shell completely spaz out sometimes and fly all around the tank at superfast speed. :laugh:

Why not use HE shells?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

The very small range window combined with the longest resupply length of anything makes it balanced.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
MAVs can be easily shot down, and the UCAV can go 400m max. How many targets are they going to have 400m from the uncap? Getting mowed down by a SUAV is a novelty at best. Not sure what the huge issue is.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

lonter posted:

Why not use HE shells?

Sabot isn't shot down by active protection.

e: HE and AP are

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

lonter posted:

Why not use HE shells?

I don't know, I always figured Sabot were better because they were the last unlock. Aren't HE more geared towards taking out infantry?

Edit: ^^ That's interesting, so I could use the active protection and it would actually destroy incoming shells (as long as they aren't Sabot rounds) as opposed to just rockets?

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

explosivo posted:

I don't know, I always figured Sabot were better because they were the last unlock. Aren't HE more geared towards taking out infantry?

Edit: ^^ That's interesting, so I could use the active protection and it would actually destroy incoming shells (as long as they aren't Sabot rounds) as opposed to just rockets?

Yeah screw using HE I hit a drat attack heli in an awesome shot the other night and didn't get a glorious explosion.

Kaustik
Jun 1, 2008

Naturally Selected posted:

E: which one of you is SarlCagan, by the way?

He's not a goon but an accomplice of mine. What did he do? Last I heard he was being a shitlord with the UCAV.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pvt Dancer posted:

Not sure if it's a glitch, but sabot & staff shells fire back to back sometimes. I just switch immediately and spam the fire button and get a double shot like half of the time. It drops armor so fast that I don't bother with MGs anymore although it makes you a bit more vulnerable to engineers.

After playing 2 rounds of Golmud, it looks like there is a pattern to the rapid firing. Shoot your sabot first, then switch to your staff shell. You have to wait for the reload until you can fire. Once you fire your staff shell, you can quickly swap back to your sabot for an immediate follow up. I could only get it to work doing that. It didn't seem to matter which shell I shot first, meaning you could open up with the staff shell, then do sabot staff 1-2 combo.

Basically fire A(reload pause and you switch to B weapon), B, A with A being the first thing you shot. I didn't try with AP or HE shells.

lonter posted:

Why not use HE shells?

I personally don't like HE shells as they have terrible drop meaning your range is basically nil. They also won't kill infantry with a direct hit unless its a headshot.

Pvt Dancer posted:

HE and AP are stopped by active protection

This is also good to know.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 9, 2013

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Target Practice posted:

MAVs can be easily shot down, and the UCAV can go 400m max. How many targets are they going to have 400m from the uncap? Getting mowed down by a SUAV is a novelty at best. Not sure what the huge issue is.

Eh, it's just a participation thing. I've always hated the idea of uncaps, but they're totally a part of map design now. I never liked the idea of some guy being in a magic bubble they can fight out untouchably from. I agree that it's not a big issue though, don't get me wrong. The only time that is, the team on the receiving end is getting rolled anyway.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Ace 23 seems ridiculously good, especially with the 1 hit kill bug (unless they fixed that?).

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

explosivo posted:

HE shells have less explosion radius, but do more damage on direct hits. Once you get used to the drop it just seems like the best choice to me. I didn't know about the active protection thing though.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

E2M2 posted:

Ace 23 seems ridiculously good, especially with the 1 hit kill bug (unless they fixed that?).

Yeah I started using it before hearing that it was a top tier rifle and felt like I had unlocked the secret to killing mans. Thing is pretty ridiculous, although I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what barrel to use on it.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kaustik posted:

He's not a goon but an accomplice of mine. What did he do? Last I heard he was being a shitlord with the UCAV.

Me and him had a great time being UCAV shitlords on opposite teams. It created such a torrent of tears I actually felt a little bad. Then I was told that I bring dishonor to the LLJK clan and that they'll be contacting my leader to complain and all reservations I had disappeared. :allears:

I wish I had an easy way to screencap chat, because pubbies say the craziest poo poo.

I sorta figured by the name and the amazing ANIME tags/emblem that he was one of us.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 9, 2013

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Bob NewSCART posted:

Yeah I started using it before hearing that it was a top tier rifle and felt like I had unlocked the secret to killing mans. Thing is pretty ridiculous, although I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what barrel to use on it.

Most guns are best with a clean barrel.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Most guns are best with a clean barrel.

No reason to use the clean barrel over the flash suppressor once you get it.

Kaustik
Jun 1, 2008

When I'm tank whoring I use Sabot/Staff because I think they complement each other better. Sabot has the muzzle velocity to let you reliably hit at pretty extreme ranges but it's sucks against hull-down targets. Staff shell can loving bend around corners and hills but has poo poo velocity. You can also open up on a stationary target with a staff and then follow up with a Sabot round and get 40-50 damage on a target in a 2 second window. The reload breaking is sweet but it'll still be a useful combo if they ever get around to fixing it.

Naturally Selected posted:

Me and him had a great time being UCAV shitlords on opposite teams. It created such a torrent of tears I actually felt a little bad. Then I was told that I bring dishonor to the LLJK clan and that they'll be contacting my leader to complain and all reservations I had disappeared. :allears:

I wish I had an easy way to screencap chat, because pubbies say the craziest poo poo.

I sorta figured by the name and the amazing ANIME tags/emblem that he was one of us.

Yeah, pubbies get really mad when they get killed by [] and we were launching tandem UCAVs into their armor to get instant kills. A couple multikills later and pubbies were threatening to meet up and kick my rear end after the match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griz
May 21, 2001

Grey Fox V2 posted:

It's honestly not that bad. The long recharge time coupled with the short life span in the air doesn't make them as big a problem as some make it out to be.

One UCAV is a minor annoyance, but a squad of them plus a commander UAV spotting everyone is ridiculous.

It's really annoying as infantry because you can be anywhere on the map that isn't underground or inside a large building, and suddenly you hear that buzzing noise and explode half a second later without being able to do anything about it.

• Locked thread