Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

ruffz posted:

Since it appears Turbine isn't going to offer that insta-level 50 package on the LOTRO store anytime soon I guess I'm going to finally level the LM that I made a couple years ago, rather than getting my 3 other high level characters to 95. Even at level 11 I have a bear pet that basically just runs over every mob I send it at.

edit: they have the Steed of Bree on the store, for the (not so) low price of 4995 TP for an account-wide purchase. There's no option for per-character. Turbine's saying spend the big bux or :frogout:
$50 for a functionally redundant virtual horse? Sign me up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Remy Marathe posted:

$50 for a functionally redundant virtual horse? Sign me up!

I'd spend that money on something that saves me a lot of time like getting an instant level 50, but not on a mount even if it's account-wide. They're trying to cash in at the expense of the people that are OCD about their mount collections.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Half the epic is designed to make you want to spend mithril coins instead of trekking all the way across 3 regions to collect a cloth bag.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

First time through Glittering Caves went pretty well, I got like 9 promotion points between the Gold completion for the main quest and a couple of the side quests. I had it set up to forward my reward points towards Gold rewards and just from that battle it gave me a teal pocket item. I'm already getting less frustrated with Big Battles.

Has anyone had an issue with the part of the Epic questline after it has you do Glittering Caves? It wants me to talk to Aragorn outside the Hornburg, but I'm standing right next to him unable to interact with him and the quest guide is pointing to something that's 28,931m away.

ruffz fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 6, 2013

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Prelim release notes for the test server:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?534112-Update-12-1-Preliminary-Release-notes-BULLROARER-ONLY-SUBJECT-TO-CHANGE

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Nice that they're fixing the Warden's stun recovery skill so that it doesn't last longer than the stun itself

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

"Improved Halberd Training now gives a 5% damage bonus, up from 2, to match the amount from the Man Sword-Damage racial trait."

I can't believe it took this long for Captains to get equal footing for their class-specific weapon. Shame I made a 95 greatsword already.

nothing in the notes about captain mounted skill Cooldowns randomly decreasing by about 6 seconds and lasting until you log out. I can only hope that means it's intended if it's still possible. Cry Wrath on a 4sec cooldown with Cry Havoc being spammable is wonderful for quickly soloing some all warbands.

e:
"Haudh Valandil and Sammath Gul challenge modes should no longer provide seals."

Can't have people getting a mighty 3 seals per Tharadur run. Why they might be able to buy a piece of Helm's Deep set jewelry in under a month that way!

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 6, 2013

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

sassassin posted:

Half the epic is designed to make you want to spend mithril coins instead of trekking all the way across 3 regions to collect a cloth bag.

Sucks for them that I ended up with 750ish when they converted things to them. And every single one was a lottery prize.

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

ruffz posted:

Has anyone had an issue with the part of the Epic questline after it has you do Glittering Caves? It wants me to talk to Aragorn outside the Hornburg, but I'm standing right next to him unable to interact with him and the quest guide is pointing to something that's 28,931m away.

There's like... three or four copies of Hornburg - before the battle, at night, morning, after the battle. Head to the west side of of Hornburg, around Gleowine. There'll be a bunch of objects by him (I think a map table, a tipped over vase, some sacks, some other junk) that you can use to transition between the time zones. I'm pretty sure the epic quests require you to get the NPC in the right time zone.

Mind you, I have no idea which time zone the epic quest you're talking about actually wants.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

ruffz posted:

I'd spend that money on something that saves me a lot of time like getting an instant level 50, but not on a mount even if it's account-wide. They're trying to cash in at the expense of the people that are OCD about their mount collections.

I dont think TB/WB understand that people will buy poo poo if it's reasonably priced. The stuff is virtual, you just make up more poo poo. I dont understand why these companies are charging $20 for a horse when you get more for charging less like $5. Look at steam sales and learn god drat it.

Also anyone want to run some raids and farm poo poo? I wanna collect all the sets for my alt cosmetics. gently caress playing mith coins per piecemeal in lalia's market. Watcher could probably be 3 manned. My warden is definitely ready to spam reversal on his rear end.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

CheeseSpawn posted:

I dont think TB/WB understand that people will buy poo poo if it's reasonably priced. The stuff is virtual, you just make up more poo poo. I dont understand why these companies are charging $20 for a horse when you get more for charging less like $5. Look at steam sales and learn god drat it.

Also anyone want to run some raids and farm poo poo? I wanna collect all the sets for my alt cosmetics. gently caress playing mith coins per piecemeal in lalia's market. Watcher could probably be 3 manned. My warden is definitely ready to spam reversal on his rear end.

I'd be happy to help as a 47 hunter for whatever may be chosen. I've the expansions and evendim if that helps specify instances. Won't have time till Sunday though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I've watched people solo Elite Master mobs on-level. I'd be surprised if no class is able to solo Watcher at 95. There's going to be tanks running around with 30k or more morale. I've seen 29k on a captain and guardian. Neither were fully kitted out in level 95 teal/gold gear either (the captain was pretty drat close though).

I'm all for running raids on my Captain. Helll I still have yet to run any of the Isengard instances since I came back last year and everyone was running lvl 85 skraids and erebor, or farming GB/annuminas/fornost.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've watched people solo Elite Master mobs on-level. I'd be surprised if no class is able to solo Watcher at 95. There's going to be tanks running around with 30k or more morale. I've seen 29k on a captain and guardian. Neither were fully kitted out in level 95 teal/gold gear either (the captain was pretty drat close though).

I'm all for running raids on my Captain. Helll I still have yet to run any of the Isengard instances since I came back last year and everyone was running lvl 85 skraids and erebor, or farming GB/annuminas/fornost.

Problem with the watcher is the tentacle grabbing poo poo so I doubt he could be soloed. At least a duo but a trio would be ideal in the minimum. As much as I'm sure people want to run content, I still think everyone is in level mode so finding willing guild peeps can be daunting as I still want to get my alts to 95.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'd be happy to help as a 47 hunter for whatever may be chosen. I've the expansions and evendim if that helps specify instances. Won't have time till Sunday though.

The only raids you could qualify for at this level is the Rift/helegrod. The rift is a great raid but it's a little long to get through but it has a balrog in it. 55-60 would be DN and watcher in Moria.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

CheeseSpawn posted:

Problem with the watcher is the tentacle grabbing poo poo so I doubt he could be soloed. At least a duo but a trio would be ideal in the minimum. As much as I'm sure people want to run content, I still think everyone is in level mode so finding willing guild peeps can be daunting as I still want to get my alts to 95.

The only raids you could qualify for at this level is the Rift/helegrod. The rift is a great raid but it's a little long to get through but it has a balrog in it. 55-60 would be DN and watcher in Moria.

If pets will target a tentacle that grabs you it might still be doable. A level 95 oathbreaker archer can do decent damage and I imagine a level 95 LM pet will just look at the tentacle and make it explode.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
In defence of the Vol. 1 epic, it gets better once it leaves Angmar.

But when you know a guy is playing you, and every character is telling you he's playing you, but you still have to go along with it to progress the plot...

My warden wasn't dead he was just resting.

What level are the earliest quests in Enedwaith? 61?

Got an account-bound Tome of Vitality IV as a hobbit present just as they went on sale. Coincidence, turbine?

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

sassassin posted:

In defence of the Vol. 1 epic, it gets better once it leaves Angmar.

But when you know a guy is playing you, and every character is telling you he's playing you, but you still have to go along with it to progress the plot...

My warden wasn't dead he was just resting.

What level are the earliest quests in Enedwaith? 61?

Got an account-bound Tome of Vitality IV as a hobbit present just as they went on sale. Coincidence, turbine?

I think it's 59-60 for ened. It came out for the 60-70 level range..

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

moebius2778 posted:

There's like... three or four copies of Hornburg - before the battle, at night, morning, after the battle. Head to the west side of of Hornburg, around Gleowine. There'll be a bunch of objects by him (I think a map table, a tipped over vase, some sacks, some other junk) that you can use to transition between the time zones. I'm pretty sure the epic quests require you to get the NPC in the right time zone.

Mind you, I have no idea which time zone the epic quest you're talking about actually wants.

Ah yeah maybe I just need to advance time, hadn't thought of that. Thanks

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

sassassin posted:

In defence of the Vol. 1 epic

Scratch that, this thing's padded to poo poo with some godawful plotting. It's so bad a session play instance is a highlight. If you don't have a fast travel skill to literally every major town in eriador you're in for a right good rodgering.

Laerdan takes the ring to Eregion with 2 days head start so of course the logical thing to do is to travel to Ered Luin, then Bree, to the Barrow Downs and the thing you're looking for isn't even there, and then back to Celondim and whoops never mind it didn't matter anyway now go up to Forochel for no good reason...

Let me just go kill to Mirobel and these dudes, gently caress I'm almost level 56 already. Elrond's Laerdan fan fiction was pretty clear about how much danger the idiot was in.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I've cleared Vol 1 once, and don't really have any plans to do it again. I enjoyed the story and everything, but it was just so long, and also I got stuck on this one quest where the boss kept healing herself faster than I could damage her even with the Inspiration buff on and I had to come back after clearing a bunch of Moria to finally break through her shell (granted, this was on a pre-HD captain so my DPS was perhaps not the best). I think the quest was The Doom of the North? This was a while ago.

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

sassassin posted:

Scratch that, this thing's padded to poo poo with some godawful plotting. It's so bad a session play instance is a highlight. If you don't have a fast travel skill to literally every major town in eriador you're in for a right good rodgering.

Mirth and I just got to Angmar in the volume 1 epic and this is exactly the problem we had. We're level 56 right now just because we couldn't handle the bullshit tedium of "travel to rivendale, good now travel to the trollshaws where the is no swift travel, oh great, now go back to rivendale, now back to the exact same place in the trollshaws, now back to another place in the trollshaws, and now back to rivendale"
So loving boring. Every time we did the main story, it felt like LOTRO is nothing but riding your horse around from one lazy fucker to another. That's not how I want to spend my 2 hours of playtime. It's a terrible story-line, uninteresting, and it's been created to waste the players time as much as possible.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Up the road from me in Thorin's Hall homesteads there's a guy with three Portraits of Narmeleth on his wall. I figure either he's a masochist or was around long enough to get bored before the first expansion.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The bullshit rivendell stuff is particularly inexcusable because it came before f2p and paying to unlock the horsey rides.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Remy Marathe posted:

Up the road from me in Thorin's Hall homesteads there's a guy with three Portraits of Narmeleth on his wall. I figure either he's a masochist or was around long enough to get bored before the first expansion.

Its no 12 gurvand heads from pre-nerf hardmode but okay.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Finished it. The final chapter isn't too bad and ports you around pretty well until right at the end when you're dropped in a valley full of elite masters for no good reason.

Time to roleplay some ptsd and sit staring into the fire in Rivendell for a few days.

edit: Just had a guy calling himself Skorgrim bow at me, cheeky fucker.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

quote:

Deviled_Egg. You promised to fix stuff with 12.1 and unless you add substantial changes at last minute ( we know you never will) the day 12.1 hits warden players will strike and ask for your resignation from warden class development.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Lol. Bringing back "YOU HAVE 14 DAYS" memories.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

After resurrecting my release-month Guardian from about 3 years of inactivity and taking him to almost 95, I just happened to realize just how close this character is to getting all reps Kindred for World Renowned. One of the reps is in Acquaintance standing but the rest are at least halfway through Friend. Looks like I've found a project to work on while I try to conjure up the motivation to take one of my 3 other high level characters to 95. If you're feeling particularly generous, send rep items for any of those 11 factions to Ithoran.

ruffz fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 9, 2013

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

ruffz posted:

After resurrecting my release-month Guardian from about 3 years of inactivity and taking him to almost 95, I just happened to realize just how close this character is to getting all reps Kindred for World Renowned. One of the reps is in Acquaintance standing but the rest are at least halfway through Friend. Looks like I've found a project to work on while I try to conjure up the motivation to take one of my 3 other high level characters to 95. If you're feeling particularly generous, send rep items for any of those 11 factions to Ithoran.

Which reps are you short on? I take it the evendim rep isn't one of them. :P I think I burnt most of my rep items because I didn't have the storage capacity to hold on to them.

I have been playing around with my Lore-Master, i had a 50ish one on a different server where I originally started on and was messing around with it testing out the beasty tree, it is a lot of fun.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

ruffz posted:

Which one is acquaintance? I'm not sure of the others, but I'm pretty sure I've got a few of the 700 xp ones for Thorin's Hall I got from the Sarnur dungeon. Although, I just realized I'm not on Silverlode and I don't think you can mail things between servers. Or can you? If you happen to be on Dwarrowdelf though, I'd be happy to send some over.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Ugh. My kin character is not one of my subscription-upgraded ones and I just ran into the gold cap, plus he can't get all of his traits and bonuses and crap. What a pain. I'll have to line up all the characters I want to play if I decide to subscribe for a month, I guess.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007

Zvim posted:

Which reps are you short on? I take it the evendim rep isn't one of them. :P I think I burnt most of my rep items because I didn't have the storage capacity to hold on to them.

I have been playing around with my Lore-Master, i had a 50ish one on a different server where I originally started on and was messing around with it testing out the beasty tree, it is a lot of fun.

Does it get better? I started a few new characters, LM being one of them, and it was definitely the least fun right off the bat. I am loving captain too much to deviate away from it, but I need an alt to level when my leveling buddy isn't online.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So my LOTRO client at home is getting some ridiculously slow loading times. The copy on my work computer (shut up, don't judge me) works a lot faster; this is probably due in part to my work computer being better than my home computer, but it's also a recent drop and I've heard that fresh installs tend to load faster than old ones that have seen a patch or ten. Have you guys found that that's true? If so I'll probably reinstall.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I dunno, but I can say that with my new PC and with LOTRO installed on the SSD, loading takes just a couple of seconds where it used to take about 20-30 seconds. If your computer is crufty, I imagine that could definitely slow it down.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Zvim posted:

I did a quick count of how much rep I need with the 8 factions that have associated rep tokens, and this is how far away from Kindred I am with each one:
Men of Bree KINDRED
Mathom Society 20,600
Thorin's Hall KINDRED
Rivendell 37,440
Rangers of Esteldin 37,360
Wardens of Annuminas 17,396
Council of the North 37,030
Lossoth of Forochel 28,052

Naturally I'm pretty far away from Kindred on the three factions which don't have rep tokens (Eglain, Algraig, Grey Company) so I'll be stuck doing grey quests for those.

ruffz fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 10, 2013

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Just rolled a warden (Vulpesor) and the gambit system both terrifies and excites me. It seems pretty cool and I while recognize I'm low level, 7 is all it seems pretty intuitive. Couple of questions, what can people say about the different trees and how far can you get using gambits haphazardly or is a list required?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Just rolled a warden (Vulpesor) and the gambit system both terrifies and excites me. It seems pretty cool and I while recognize I'm low level, 7 is all it seems pretty intuitive. Couple of questions, what can people say about the different trees and how far can you get using gambits haphazardly or is a list required?

The persevere gambit line (Shield-Spear-Shield-Spear and so on) are your get out of jail free cards. Huge self heals. Go blue line and you can increase length, potency and damage. Enjoy being immortal.

Buffs currently aren't worth learning as they don't last long enough to make a difference.

The finisher system is a waste of time, too.

Light damage is your best source of consistent damage.

When I started (pre class updates) the learning curve was nice with the skill deeds for using x gambit y times giving you plenty of time to figure it out. Dunno what it's like now, though.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
14 Days of VIP for free.

Remember to cancel the sub before you're changed again.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Sweet, I can finally reroll the ugly hunter & warden in my locked character slots and maybe unlock one someday.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

ruffz posted:

I did a quick count of how much rep I need with the 8 factions that have associated rep tokens, and this is how far away from Kindred I am with each one:
Men of Bree KINDRED
Mathom Society 20,600
Thorin's Hall KINDRED
Rivendell 37,440
Rangers of Esteldin 37,360
Wardens of Annuminas 17,396
Council of the North 37,030
Lossoth of Forochel 28,052

Naturally I'm pretty far away from Kindred on the three factions which don't have rep tokens (Eglain, Algraig, Grey Company) so I'll be stuck doing grey quests for those.

I will check my characters, might have some lossoth and mathom stuff laying around still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009
Turbine got back to me about my mystery TP deductions, interestingly they wrote 'Turbine Points did have expiration points in the past, but this has changed. I have regranted you the 74 Turbine Points that were lost. Your entire point balance and Turbine Points acquired going forth will no longer expire.'

It wasn't a lot of points, but I was just curious what it was for because there was no description in the transaction log.

Those with older accounts might want to check your history to see if you have recently had points expire.

• Locked thread