Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013
Is the Doctor working with the Silence now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Barry Foster posted:

It does feel right that Matt 'friend to all children' Smith's Doctor gets to be a puppet in a Punch and Judy show for his regeneration episode.

EDIT - Who wants a trailer? Who wants even more creepy voices reciting rhymes about the Doctor dying?

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/video/the-time-of-the-doctor-trailer/

Didn't we JUST get over all of these nursery rhyming bullshit?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I guess the trap is to kill him while he's in regeneration? Like.. Lake Silencio?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Harlock posted:

I guess the trap is to kill him while he's in regeneration? Like.. Lake Silencio?

that actually would be a pretty cool callback

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Harlock posted:

I'm pretty sure that it's not. Supposedly thanks to Ten's botched regeneration and The War Doctor, Moffat says that Smith is technically the thirteenth, meaning that he shouldn't regenerate unless the rules are broken. The idea is that this is where he dies so that he can be dead with a timestream that ends at Smith and his current TARDIS in the last finale.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

These new pictures from the episode are adorable:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh yeah, Olivia Coleman was in the show. Well, she is in everything.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Republican Vampire posted:

I'm pretty sure that it's not. Supposedly thanks to Ten's botched regeneration and The War Doctor, Moffat says that Smith is technically the thirteenth, meaning that he shouldn't regenerate unless the rules are broken. The idea is that this is where he dies so that he can be dead with a timestream that ends at Smith and his current TARDIS in the last finale.

I don't usually begrudge RTD but his botched regeneration thing pisses me off.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Mooseontheloose posted:

I don't usually begrudge RTD but his botched regeneration thing pisses me off.

It was a staggeringly cheap cliffhanger, yeah. And made the Tenth Doctor look even more of an arsehole than usual.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Once, just once, I'd like them to do a regeneration like Six to Seven, except on purpose. Have the Doctor regenerate a third of the way in, just to surprise the hell out of all of us.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Barry Foster posted:

It was a staggeringly cheap cliffhanger, yeah. And made the Tenth Doctor look even more of an arsehole than usual.

To be fair, having him have the typical post-regeneration trauma from a full regeneration would probably waste time that he didn't have.

Gau posted:

Once, just once, I'd like them to do a regeneration like Six to Seven, except on purpose. Have the Doctor regenerate a third of the way in, just to surprise the hell out of all of us.

That would be interesting, I suppose. I'm not sure it's very feasible.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

To be fair, having him have the typical post-regeneration trauma from a full regeneration would probably waste time that he didn't have.

From the character's perspective, maybe, although he basically says 'I like who I am now too much to change'. But what bugs me far more is that RTD should never have written that situation at all. The whole getting half-shot by a Dalek while running in slow motion thing, the whole fake regeneration thing, and the whole dildo-doctor thing. It's big dumb cheap ideas all the way down. It's Russell 'The' Davies at his most half-arsed.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

Burkion posted:

Didn't we JUST get over all of these nursery rhyming bullshit?

Ja, how original. Doctor Who bringing in more creepy childrens' games. Sigh.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Barry Foster posted:

From the character's perspective, maybe, although he basically says 'I like who I am now too much to change'. But what bugs me far more is that RTD should never have written that situation at all. The whole getting half-shot by a Dalek while running in slow motion thing, the whole fake regeneration thing, and the whole dildo-doctor thing. It's big dumb cheap ideas all the way down. It's Russell 'The' Davies at his most half-arsed.

I don't know, I think the whole "River Song is suddenly part Time Lord and can give her regenerations to the Doctor to save his life" far more annoying.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
River was shown to be able to pilot the tardis long before they revealed what she was.
Being a psuedo time lord herself was not totally out of left field.

BTW, since the daleks screm about the doctor regenerating in the trailer, does that mean they're going back on the daleks forgetting about who the doctor is thing? I don't think anyone would mind forgetting about that.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Davros1 posted:

I don't know, I think the whole "River Song is suddenly part Time Lord and can give her regenerations to the Doctor to save his life" far more annoying.

That was Moffat at his most half-arsed.

Recurring villains and regeneration bumpf, two things that have a nasty habit of being crap.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I don't use this emote in an un-ironic manner but I'm going to make an exception here: :monocle:

Mr. Snazz posted:

...Introducing Mads Mikkelsen as The Doctor?

:flashfap:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Rita Repulsa posted:

River was shown to be able to pilot the tardis long before they revealed what she was.
Being a psuedo time lord herself was not totally out of left field.

BTW, since the daleks screm about the doctor regenerating in the trailer, does that mean they're going back on the daleks forgetting about who the doctor is thing? I don't think anyone would mind forgetting about that.

Everything about the Doctor needing to be smaller has been forgotten, so yep.

Also we already know that that sound bite is from the end of the episode when the Doctor regenerates due to old age and his regeneration energy wipes out the Daleks.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

According to someone on another forum, who got it from yet another forum, the previously posted spoilers is a 100% accurate plot description and its caused a minor shitstorm involving internal BBC memos, several set people being fired, and future series are to be filmed in complete lockdown.

Anyone know anything about this?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I heard it from a guy that you're 100% correct that this rumour exists

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Like, for reals and junk?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

:v:

We'll have to wait to see if it shows up in Private Eye.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

twoot posted:

According to someone on another forum, who got it from yet another forum, the previously posted spoilers is a 100% accurate plot description and its caused a minor shitstorm involving internal BBC memos, several set people being fired, and future series are to be filmed in complete lockdown.

My uncle who works at Nintendo confirmed this.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

twoot posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if it was true. It shocked me that pretty much NOTHING besides a few set pics was leaked from Day of the Doctor and all the "spoilers" were wildly wrong, and then the very next episode we got a blow by blow, apparently 100% accurate synopsis.

It kind of took my by surprise, since my usual "spoiler mode" with finales and big episodes is "stay in spoiler thread til as late as possible when the full details come out." This came so soon and was so full it's probably more than I would have wanted to know. :(

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Astroman posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if it was true. It shocked me that pretty much NOTHING besides a few set pics was leaked from Day of the Doctor and all the "spoilers" were wildly wrong, and then the very next episode we got a blow by blow, apparently 100% accurate synopsis.

It kind of took my by surprise, since my usual "spoiler mode" with finales and big episodes is "stay in spoiler thread til as late as possible when the full details come out." This came so soon and was so full it's probably more than I would have wanted to know. :(

I was still on the fence about how accurate it could be, but then somebody capped this from one of the BBC christmas trailers;

It pretty much confirms the ages 900 years part of the spoiler synopsis. It also looks really rubbish.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

It made the ratings jump like, half a million for the following episode though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twoot posted:

It pretty much confirms the ages 900 years part of the spoiler synopsis. It also looks really rubbish.

Still better than Dobby the Time Lord House Elf.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

twoot posted:

I was still on the fence about how accurate it could be, but then somebody capped this from one of the BBC christmas trailers;

This Christmas see Jeremy Clarkson as: The Doctor!

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
It's baTTle. There are T's in that word. Fucks sake.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

twoot posted:

Why are y'all hating, this is pretty legit.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

This Christmas see Jeremy Clarkson as: The Doctor!

I would watch this, but only if they made James May ginger and put him in a miniskirt.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's a legit fatsuit face and light-saber, yes.

Do we flush Moffat with the regen or are we just losing the talent?

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

moths posted:

That's a legit fatsuit face and light-saber, yes.

Do we flush Moffat with the regen or are we just losing the talent?

And then you watch David Tennant the imp become Telepathic Jesus.

Or two random, annoying hicks randomly slipping and falling to their death in a pit of nuclear fire.

Time of the doctor is going to be a much better episode than any non-Moffat episode. You're just never content.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Whizbang posted:

I would watch this, but only if they made James May ginger and put him in a miniskirt.

I'm still sad, given all three recent Doctors (and Billie Piper) have been on Top Gear that they didn't do a Race of the Doctors special on Top Gear to further celebrate the 50th.

But yes, I too would watch that. May can be Amy and Hammond can be Rory.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Super.Jesus posted:

Time of the doctor is going to be a much better episode than any non-Moffat episode.

Are you privy to some information that the rest of the world isn't?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

moths posted:

He's privy to the secret of enjoying entertainment, passed down from the secret TV monks of Darbyshire, preserved for the time when the world would be ready for its wisdom.

That time will never come.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

moths posted:

Doing a marathon from the 9th doctor to season 7 with people who are new to the series. The increase in quality since Moffat has started running the show is readily apparent, and his episodes in RTD's run are the strongest.

From the Time Lord's last downright terrible plan to fat people with funny names falling in a pit randomly, Moffat has consistently been a better showrunner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdeF8eg8bIU

Super.Jesus fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 13, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm just asking if there's some esoteric reason to think that the finale won't be the steaming shitpile it looks like from the spoilers.

Because you're saying it's going to be better than Douglas Adams episodes, and those are some huge-rear end shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

moths posted:

I'm just asking if there's some esoteric reason to think that the finale won't be the steaming shitpile it looks like from the spoilers.

Because you're saying it's going to be better than Douglas Adams episodes, and those are some huge-rear end shoes.

I have read those spoilers and it looks like a pretty fine Doctor Who season finale.

Meanwhile, you think it's going to be steaming pile of poo poo based on half a paragraph of second-hand testimony.

I rather prefer cautious optimism.

I mean:

quote:

Christmas Special: (possibly called Time Of The Doctor)

There's a signal, a bell tolling, calling out through the universe and touching every race. Most races are inexplicably afraid, even Daleks Cybermen Angels etc. But our Doctor is, as ever, very curious! He and Clara follow the signal to a small, wooded, snowy place where they are attacked by Angels. The Doctor gets wounded and fears his leg is infected.

They meet a couple (Del's wife off Only Fools and Horses, and Eddie the Barman from Hustle) who explain that they are on the outskirts of Christmas Town, a quaint little place enfolded in a truth field which has always been there, seemingly naturally.

On closer examination and exploration the Doctor figures that the signal is emanating from the clock tower in the centre of town. Further investigation reveals that the planet is surrounded by enemies old and new, all wanting to crush the place.

Chatting with those in the know, the Doctor realises that this is Trenzalore! The enemies are holding back their attack for fear that the Doctor - through legend - will unleash the might of the Time Lords on them. The Daleks fear this the most. So, the Doctor decides he has no choice but to protect this innocent town (which just happens to house the target of the universal forces of evil) from utter destruction. He has to stay. He has to help!

Realising that this could take a while he sends Clara to safety in the TARDIS; she won't live for half the time this'll take to sort out... So now he's stranded there in Christmas Town. He takes up residency in the tower where he becomes something of a local celeb! The man who takes care of the town! He spends 300 or so years fighting the invading monsters, side by side with the Mainframe - both are defending the town, after an agreement was made in their mutual interest! He defeats Angels and Cybermen (wooden ones too) and Sontarans and who knows what else. All the while, the question is asked: Doctor Who?

Clara visits, with help, and finds the Doctor making and fixing toys for the children of the town. He's old. Aged. He's lost that infected leg, it turned to stone so had to go. Now he has a wooden one! And he also has a Cyberhead mate called Handles who keeps him company, keeps him chatting... The Doctor explains his situation to Clara (us) and we see the battles he is left to fight. An endless, bitter war. A war that could kill him; he has no regenerations remaining! This is his last life.

(When Kovarian said "an endless bitter war, against you!" In AGMGTW she didn't mean between the a Silence and him, but between him and everyone else, fought on the Silence's doorstep.)

The stalemate holds, the battle rages, the Doctor defeats all sorts of monsters. Until only the ever-defiant Daleks remain in position, waiting and waiting. 900 years of battle and waiting and waiting and more waiting. 900 years of not being able to end it all. The Daleks fear that if they attack then the Doctor will unleash the Time Lords and that means an end for them. If the Doctor leaves Christmas Town then the place burns with no deterrent. So both sides sit and wait... And wait... And wait...

Until the Doctor realises his time is up, his life is at an end. He has no regenerations left (thanks to Ten's vanity in Journey's End and Hurt's Recently revealed existence) so this really is the end. He takes his rage and frustration to the Daleks one last time: a last stand, an "I've got nothing, so kill me if you want" defiant eff-you. They close in on him when, inexplicably, a familiar crack of light opens in the sky and from it emerges a second chance! The Doctor is able, once more, to regenerate! Breaking all rules, it's going to be a hell of a light show! The exploding energy from his regeneration blasts Daleks all around, sending them burning into the wastes of space and the battleground around the town...

...thanks to the mysterious Tasha Lem, Clara has been shown this, from a distance, and - knowing he SHOULD just die - she's overjoyed that he appears to be changing once more. She races to where she saw it happen only to find the TARDIS, open, waiting... our story continues! Hopefully for another 50 years!

Please identify problems in this plot that can't be explained by the fact that this is a rather fragmentary spoiler plot outline.

Super.Jesus fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 13, 2013

• Locked thread