Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

rap music posted:

:roflolmao:

How is it that we had an NDA drop today and goons are still bickering about hypothetical CC mechanics with well formatted paragraphs.

I think it's because they're... stunned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Are races getting a different sprint animation later or is it going to be the same one as the running animation just faster?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Are races getting a different sprint animation later or is it going to be the same one as the running animation just faster?

There's a separate animation, it's just subtle. You lean forward and curl your arms.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

rap music posted:

:roflolmao:

How is it that we had an NDA drop today and goons are still bickering about hypothetical CC mechanics with well formatted paragraphs.

Yeah, we need some crowd control in here.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

You are all loving awful.

Anyway, that warrior stream was pretty interesting. Don't have time to watch any more, but it definitely makes me more interested in the game. Have to try and find some Medic footage now.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Phoix posted:

There's a separate animation, it's just subtle. You lean forward and curl your arms.

It also changes if you sheath/unsheath your weapon - some of them are really really cool. Running with warrior sword out looks badass.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

rizzen posted:

You are all loving awful.

Anyway, that warrior stream was pretty interesting. Don't have time to watch any more, but it definitely makes me more interested in the game. Have to try and find some Medic footage now.

They had a medic stream already. It's a couple pages back or i'm sure you can find it on twitch.tv

AscentRages
Dec 13, 2013

Macaluso posted:

I think it's because they're... stunned

I sincerely hope you put on your shades and yelled out the "yeah- etc." of "Won't Get Fooled Again" by The Who in real life as that was not indicated in your post.

Onto the topic:

~ The art style of this game is surprisingly fruity for a developer-cadre of dudebros; something I'm not a fan of (neither of those things).

~ This is the first game where I've actually wanted to play all the classes (not including community-established archetypes in classless games).

~ This is the first MMORPG since Asheron's Call where purely the gameplay looks like fun.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Is this the final UI? It looks like a bad Winamp skin.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Loose Ifer posted:

They had a medic stream already. It's a couple pages back or i'm sure you can find it on twitch.tv

Yeah, I went back and found it, cheers.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

AscentRages posted:

~ The art style of this game is surprisingly fruity for a developer-cadre of dudebros; something I'm not a fan of (neither of those things).

What, does a pack of hairy Granok give all the male characters a rubdown or something? When I hear talk of tiny waists and huge breasts "fruity" isn't a term that immediately springs to mind.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Loose Ifer posted:

The downside is that the youtube upload of it is almost unwatcheable due to massive audio desync in the first half.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

rap music posted:

Hopefully reading this new Tale From Beyond the Fringe will make people stop bitching about CC for a few minutes.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/media/comics/b-team_001.php

edit: ah gently caress they mention cc in the comic

Man i just wanna pinch those lil cuties right on the screen

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Gerudo Rivera posted:

Man i just wanna pinch those lil cuties right on the screen

I will withstand all the stance dancing in the world to have those lil' buddies on my side.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Smith Comma John posted:

When I hear talk of tiny waists and huge breasts "fruity" isn't a term that immediately springs to mind.

I feel obligated after seeing so many comments along these lines to point out that all the male bodies also have unnaturally slim waists and large "buff" chests (transexual Chua excluded). This body-standard isn't exclusive to the female models, it's part of their overall character model scheme. If anything, their design choice is slightly less sexist than the MMO (gaming in general) standard of Barbie women and normal proportioned men because both are stylistically unrealistic (not just the women).

To pull a Wildstar SS to prove the point:

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

You guys are going to flip when you see the junk sliders

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Looks like some arena PvP being streamed here:

http://www.twitch.tv/guildumbra

Edit: They showed the guild tags, which are customizable emblems that float as holograms on different spots, over your head, back, and/or shoulders. Kinda cool.

Manifest Dynasty fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 13, 2013

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Aexo posted:

It gives me an advantage to break my keyboard faster than you (button mash).

Anyone who cares is just going to program their keyboard to mash the button a thousand times a second anyway. No comparative advantage will be had.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

bUm posted:

I feel obligated after seeing so many comments along these lines to point out that all the male bodies also have unnaturally slim waists and large "buff" chests (transexual Chua excluded). This body-standard isn't exclusive to the female models, it's part of their overall character model scheme. If anything, their design choice is slightly less sexist than the MMO (gaming in general) standard of Barbie women and normal proportioned men because both are stylistically unrealistic (not just the women).

Except if you really want to get into it, that kind of caricature of male bodies (and they are caricatures, which should be kept in mind) isn't sexualised, it's the visual shorthand for "heroic" (see: ridiculous proportions on superheroes), whereas the proportions of the women are shorthand for "sex object". Everyone gets that none of the character models are realistic.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I love the art style generally, but man, I wish the female characters weren't quite so universally ridiculous-looking. Is the reason Chua only have one gender because they couldn't figure out how to make a fat anthropomorphic rat creature into a sexy supermodel?

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

floofyscorp posted:

I love the art style generally, but man, I wish the female characters weren't quite so universally ridiculous-looking. Is the reason Chua only have one gender because they couldn't figure out how to make a fat anthropomorphic rat creature into a sexy supermodel?

I'm ok with that.

Really though, I think part of the ridiculousness of it all is an effect of the style, rather than anything else. Not that I really mind all that much, as I think it'd be more jarring with realistic character styles in a world that is anything but.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
^^^ I wouldn't even give this game a second glance if it was realistic looking. MORE games need to look cartoony like this or WoW or Ratchet & Clank or whatever.

hampig posted:

Except if you really want to get into it, that kind of caricature of male bodies (and they are caricatures, which should be kept in mind) isn't sexualised, it's the visual shorthand for "heroic" (see: ridiculous proportions on superheroes), whereas the proportions of the women are shorthand for "sex object". Everyone gets that none of the character models are realistic.

Yeah. It's the difference between sexualization (which the female models all are, with their hourglass figures, bit bouncy boobs and runway model walking) and a male power fantasy (which all the male models are). The male models looking the way isn't really comparable. I love the art style for the most part, but the female modles are a problem. If there were body sliders it'd be a little different I think.

The Chua are exempt from these problems of course. Master race.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Some Engineer info and group content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFTaYd7aiPg

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

hampig posted:

I think, and believe that most would agree, that 'heroic' men are sexy.

The problem, then, is with the cultural connotations of exaggerated male and female bodies rather than with the game's character design. If we agree that the character models need not be realistic then the only problem seems to be that the female designs are shorthand for 'sex object' and thus apparently incompatible with heroism. I don't see why we cant have heroes be sex objects. It's a fantasy game and so an embodiment of cultural daydreams, meant for escape and play in a world populated by fantastic people, creatures, and places.

By the way can I just mention how psyched I am for housing? I feel like this feature merits more discussion.

RiffRoff
Aug 28, 2012

Strike the earth.

Happy Sisyphus posted:

By the way can I just mention how psyched I am for housing? I feel like this feature merits more discussion.

Housing is one of the things I am most interested in. I wish we had more information about it. I want a huge house for my Chua.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

RiffRoff posted:

Housing is one of the things I am most interested in. I wish we had more information about it. I want a huge house for my Chua.

Housing video from yesterday shows off some of the details:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX15Cijta2I

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
Any medic gameplay videos? Sorry, didn't see anything for the last like 6 pages or OP.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Secret Sweater posted:

Any medic gameplay videos? Sorry, didn't see anything for the last like 6 pages or OP.

Try the official Wildstar twitch channel. They had an hour or two of Medic play.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

rizzen posted:

Try the official Wildstar twitch channel. They had an hour or two of Medic play.

I was hesitant to use the youtube stuff, wasn't sure if it was recent or not.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

rap music posted:

Housing video from yesterday shows off some of the details:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX15Cijta2I

Oh god, I'll end up fiddling with my house forever. :allears:

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Secret Sweater posted:

Medic Dev Speak
Medic Developer Commentary

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Happy Sisyphus posted:

I think, and believe that most would agree, that 'heroic' men are sexy.

The problem, then, is with the cultural connotations of exaggerated male and female bodies rather than with the game's character design. If we agree that the character models need not be realistic then the only problem seems to be that the female designs are shorthand for 'sex object' and thus apparently incompatible with heroism. I don't see why we cant have heroes be sex objects. It's a fantasy game and so an embodiment of cultural daydreams, meant for escape and play in a world populated by fantastic people, creatures, and places.

I think it's more important to realize that stun effects have traditionally been used to keep women cced during pvp, which is why giving them the option to press keys quickly to reduce the duration of the effect *still* isn't fair. Until the male models have a slider that can change the length and girth of their stun effects, it's still just going to look like WoW's combat with colored squares on the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZB08UK0Tyg
Observe this 'first 15 minutes' video by mmorpg.com.

It takes over 4 seconds just for the player to determine that he not a sheep. For the next 8 seconds, it is apparent that the user is wrestling with the sexualization of female characters in the UI. Shkle then spends 43 seconds looking through the dominion faction before self-determining to present as a cisgendered male robot. In this person's mind, a masculine robot would be an engineer and a soldier--clearly following very strong gendered prototypes of behavior.

The player then switches to Exiles, and spends most of Hir time viewing cisgendered females, only briefly examining the transgendered male 'Aurin'. Shkle then settles on the cisgendered female Mordesh. At this point, the player selects medic and settler.

Ladies and Gentlegoons, I rest my case. Not *only* is Carbine promoting gendered stereotypes of a nurturing undead doctor with ranged abilities as being inherently 'feminine', but they are also promoting violence against women by implying that this woman's existence, sustained by a combination of sorcery and science is somehow unnatural.

Plus, while the robot gets his degree as an engineer, the mordesh is only a medic--she's not even a doctor!

And that's why stun isn't a fun mechanic.

AscentRages
Dec 13, 2013

Smith Comma John posted:

What, does a pack of hairy Granok give all the male characters a rubdown or something? When I hear talk of tiny waists and huge breasts "fruity" isn't a term that immediately springs to mind.

I didn't use the term "fruity" to describe homosexuality. I used it to describe what fruit are. Colourful and sweet. I associate dudebros with gritty shooters, therefore I'm surprised this is so colourful.

As for the matchstick waists and huge breasts - I'd agree on the former but the latter are smaller than a lot of other MMORPGs. Considering average breast size is B, I wouldn't say they are far off. The only thing I'd say about them that is unnatural is the gravity-defying. In conclusion: yes, they are exaggerated but Wildstar is exaggerated. I wouldn't expect less. Would I like more character creation options? Always.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Pretty much the whole thread in one post.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Thanks I'll check these out. I watched some of the livestream mentioned previously.

Medic seems to be a bit more rough and tumble than I was hoping. Seems to be more mild heals, mid range and heavy kiting based. Are there any longer range, squishier with larger heals that can be effective devoted entirely to healing/support?

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Can we get this added to the OP??

Wildstar, Character Design, Female Objectification, Sexual Dimorphism and Biology in Video Games

quote:

But the bone structure! They are as divergent as anglerfish—but not for any reason except that the female Granok had to appear as shapely as possible. Why, precisely, does a species of silicon-based lifeforms have breasts? Are we to assume that Granok lactate? That Granok have mammary glands? Could it be that Granok breasts are only present for (straight, male) players to be mildly impressed by? (There’s a sentence no one’s ever typed before.)

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Wildstar wants to be WoW 2.0 so bad they carried over the sexual dimorphism from trolls to drakken. Tough, fierce male characters but if you want to be a girl drakken the only option is Sexy Devil.

Bums me out GW2 still the classiest MMO in that area.

AscentRages
Dec 13, 2013

Secret Sweater posted:

Thanks I'll check these out. I watched some of the livestream mentioned previously.

Medic seems to be a bit more rough and tumble than I was hoping. Seems to be more mild heals, mid range and heavy kiting based. Are there any longer range, squishier with larger heals that can be effective devoted entirely to healing/support?

Medic can be entirely devoted to healing and support (every class has 2+ roles which it does equally well), but if you're looking for big heals instead of HoTs you'll want the Spellslinger. But obviously, Spellslinger is 90% skillshots.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Holy poo poo, from a link in that article: http://nkjemisin.com/2013/02/from-the-mailbag-the-unbearable-baggage-of-orcing/

'Orcing'. That's a new one on me.

I like it though. It has a great ring.

'Quit orcing my chua.'

Pryce, what's the possibility of an official 'Stop the Orcing of Chua' t-shirt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

I can accept the Mechari if the females were explicitly designed to be sexbots. I mean, their running animation is basically a gravity defying skip with hips flailing side to side.

• Locked thread