Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Onmi, are you forgetting the bit in (Tomino-directed) ZZ Gundam when Haman and Mineva come to Earth and everyone in the Federation leadership starts hailing Haman? When she decides to destroy Dublin everyone in the Federation leadership starts going into this drunken party shouting "Less mouths to feed." Judau even decides that despite Haman being a tyrant who needed to be put down at least she had a vision unlike the Federation's shortsighted greedy leadership. The Federation being as bad as Zeon is a clear theme through Zeta and ZZ, it's not just the non-Tomino stuff.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Man when did this become the Gundam general? The first update hasn't even been posted yet guys, at least wait until the story's started before you unleash the Gundam :spergin: floodgates on a crowd that is either a) completely unfamiliar with Gundam b) probably watched Wing/G and maybe a couple scattered UC shows.

Also for show recommendations, Gundam Build Fighters is currently airing and it is awesome. It's being streamed on GundamInfo's youtube channel with translations too so no excuse for not watching!

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

Man when did this become the Gundam general? The first update hasn't even been posted yet guys, at least wait until the story's started before you unleash the Gundam :spergin: floodgates on a crowd that is either a) completely unfamiliar with Gundam b) probably watched Wing/G and maybe a couple scattered UC shows.

Also for show recommendations, Gundam Build Fighters is currently airing and it is awesome. It's being streamed on GundamInfo's youtube channel with translations too so no excuse for not watching!

Doubling up on this. My honest opinion is if you want to watch any Gundam show post Turn A, watch Build Fighters. SEED is devisive at best and worse with destiny, 00 is only really good in season 1 (though I like the 00 raiser), AGE is a crime against nature. Build Fighters is a fun show all around and I recommend it to anyone whether they like Gundam or not.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Patter Song posted:

Onmi, are you forgetting the bit in (Tomino-directed) ZZ Gundam when Haman and Mineva come to Earth and everyone in the Federation leadership starts hailing Haman? When she decides to destroy Dublin everyonene i n the Federation leadership starts going into this drunken party shouting "Less mouths to feed." Judau even decides that despite Haman being a tyrant who needed to be put down at least she had a vision unlike the Federation's shortsighted greedy leadership. The Federation being as bad as Zeon is a clear theme through Zeta and ZZ, it's not just the non-Tomino stuff.

... So again, the federation is lazy-evil not Machiavellian evil who have deep running conspiracy theories that have been running since the dawn of time. Also Judau's opinion on Haman is sort of skewered because like the Nahal Argama crew keeps calling him out on it. He loves her, because Newtype Connections are a bitch.

Then again, Judau's just sick of war, that's why he decides to gently caress off and collect a colony full of newtypes to go to another galaxy and say "gently caress you, and gently caress you" to everyone.

Oh Grey Stoke...

Augustin Iturbide posted:

When does the Federation do a Rape of Nanking? I've watched a lotta Gundam and I do not remember that.

Unicorn. They pull it on Side 3, despite the fact that the Federation never made it to Side 3 and the war ended at A Baoa Qu. Yet supposedly the troops stationed on Side 3 got really frustrated and the "Weak leaders of Zeon" sold a town to them for them to go all Rape of Nanking on.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'm waiting for the Build Fighters Ghiren's Greed game where you choose which faction leader will lead your hobby shop and have to compete against the others for the largest market share. You choose model builders to sponsor and them doing well brings you fame.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Ethiser posted:

I'm waiting for the Build Fighters Ghiren's Greed game where you choose which faction leader will lead your hobby shop and have to compete against the others for the largest market share. You choose model builders to sponsor and them doing well brings you fame.

... I am all for that and welcome my new Gunpla overloards.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I am all for discussing Gundam stuff, but let's do this over there: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3508416&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Personally, I'm just waiting to know more about the game, which I never played and want to see how it works.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Ethiser posted:

I am stealing this for a board game idea. And I am sorry for that.

Bring on the greed tho! I'm totally waiting to see how it plays so I can try it for myself without feeling incompetent.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.
I have most of the update written up. I just need to finish up what left (Which won't take long), and then edit the hell out of it until it isn't completely awful. Expect it to be up sometime Saturday.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Well, you guys voted for it, so we'll be playing as the Principality of Zeon first.

I will be playing the game on Normal, because the higher difficulties just gives the AI even more of a bullshit advantage over you and doesn't really make it harder, where Easy gives you some more starting resources, and Very Easy starts you off with some very high-end mobile suits for you to fall-back on if you're completely terrible.

Before we begin, let's talk about Zeon's main advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages:
Strong starting units - Our starting Mobile Suits will generally crush everything the Federation can field right now, except for capital ships. This advantage does not last long, so you have to make the most of it while you can.

Aquatic suits - Zeon has amazing Aquatic suits, and will always hold an advantage in the ocean.

Mobile Armors - Zeon's Mobile Armors are extremely powerful, but tend to run out of energy extremely quickly.

Strong Aces - Zeon has some of the best Aces in the entire game, and some of their Aces tend to have personal custom mobile suits.

Disadvantages:
Low resources - Zeon will always be hurting for money and material, so you have to make the best of what you do get, especially in the beginning.

Poor Earth units - Zeon will in general be at a disadvantage on Earth against Federation MS.

Plot deaths - Unless you make the right decisions, Zeon will lose a large number of their best Aces.

Money traps - Zeon has a large number of expensive, terrible units that do nothing but eat up your very limited resources.

Now let's actually start the game!

Every faction has a bit of an intro cutscene. I would have made a video of it, since it does have voice acting, but decided against it since it's literally just someone reading text over badly-compressed still images.

It does have some pretty cool images though. Anyway, I'll give a really brief summery of the One Year War.

A group of Space Colonies called Side Three decided that independence from Earth would be a pretty neat thing to have, and started calling themselves the Principality of Zeon. Eventually, relations broke down between the Earth Federation and Zeon, and War was declared. During the first week of the war, things were absolutely horrible, with Zeon using poison gas on colonies, and nuclear weapons being tossed around by both sides like they were candy.

Than a little thing called Operation British happened, where Zeon decided that dropping an entire space colony onto Earth was a Really Great Idea.

The EFSF tried to stop the drop, but were ultimately unsuccessful. Funnily enough, Zeon's drop was also a failure, because they missed their target. They were attempting to drop the Colony straight onto Jaburo, the Earth Federation's main base that's located underground in South America. Instead, they missed and hit Sydney, Australia. That's not even the worst of it, because the colony was also breaking apart upon atmospheric re-entry, and the parts that broke off during the fall caused world-wide devastation.

After Operation British, Zeon had the bright idea to drop a SECOND colony onto Earth, because the first time didn't work. The Earth Federation was having absolutely none of that, and a fleet lead by General Revil attacked the Zeon forces trying to drop it, and it eventually turned into a full-scale battle.

This battle would be known as the Battle of Loum, which is one of the most important battles of the One Year War, as it was during this battle that Mobile Suits showed their true potential during combat. It was also here that many Zeon aces would make a name for themselves (including Char Aznable, and the Black Tri-Stars). The Earth Federation was eventually successful in stopping the Colony from dropping, but Side 5 was completely destroyed in the process.

At the end of the first week of the war, over a third of humanity was dead.

At this point, The Earth Federation was about to surrender to Zeon, but then General Revil gave his Zeon is Exhausted speech, and it inspired the Earth Federation just enough to negotiate with Zeon instead of surrender.

The Antarctic Treaty was formed during these talks, which banned the use of Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical weapons, as well as colony drops during the war. It also guaranteed Side 6 and the Jupiter Energy Fleet's neutral status.

Which brings us to where the game begins, with Zeon preparing to bring the war to the Earth's surface, and attempt to end this conflict once and for all.

Meet Gihren Zabi, Supreme Commander of Zeon's military force, and a man who can best be described as "Hitler in Space."

I'm not sure who this guy is. I've tried looking around, but couldn't really find anything. His main function in the game, though, is to give us reports on various projects.

This woman's name is Cecilia Irene, Gihren's secretary. Her main function is to give us reports on our research endeavors.

The three of them have a conversation that's, from what I can tell, basically just Gihren complaining about Revil.

Then Gihren's brother, Dozle Zabi, pops up and mentions something about Solomon, Zeon's forward military base. Not sure what, though, because I can't understand Japanese! :v:

Finally, after all that, it's time to finally play! At the beginning of every turn, Cecilia will pop up and ask if we want to see what new units we have available.

Right now we have a Zaku-II upgrade, the Dopp fighter, and a Jotunheim supply ship ready for development. We'll get to these later.

Here is the screen we'll be looking at for the majority of the game. The menu's we'll go through shortly. What I need to mention now is the number in the lower left of the screen. During the One Year War, we are under a 100 turn time-limit. If we don't capture Jaburo by turn 100, than it's game over.

Now let's go through those menus now, shall we?

Information will take us to these two options, both of which are extremely important.

Here is the Faction Information screen. Most of this should be easy to understand, except for the Chaos/Law meter at the bottom.

What Law and Chaos do is represent how much of an rear end in a top hat you are. If you follow the Antarctic Treaty and don't loot everything you see, the meter will gradually move towards Law, but if you act like an rear end in a top hat, than it will descend into Chaos. Both Law and Chaos have their own advantages, but in general you will always want to be on the side of Law since it grants the best bonuses. For those wondering, I will be going for full Law with both Zeon and the EFSF.

I'll get to the Unit and Ace list at the end of the update, since going through that now would be rather overwhelming.

Next is the Spying screen. Here we can invest some money into our spying efforts in order find out more about our enemies. You always want to keep this as high as you can, since you will always want to know what your enemies are doing When you're planning your moves.

Enemy movements will show us how many enemy units are stationed in enemy territory, Enemy technology will show us their current tech levels, and Steal enemy blueprints will allow us to randomly steal an enemy blueprint that, once developed, will be available for use. It's a neat feature, but not something that you can rely on since more often than not the unit you get is completely outdated by the time you get it.

I went ahead and dropped $2,000 to max out our spy level.

We can also see the information we have on our enemies in the Faction Information screen, and now that we have a higher spy level, we now have complete knowledge of the Federation's current status. As we can see, they completely destroy us in regards to resources and territory, and they even have a slight tech lead on us, but as long as we keep investing into our R&D, we'll shortly overtake them in that regard.

Next is the Map screen. It's from here that we can manage our forces and territories. As you can see, the Federation (Blue) has complete control of Earth, but has only a small foothold in space. the little yellow bars on our territory (Red) indicates how many units we have stationed there. The areas in grey are Neutral territories, and if we capture them, our alignment will move towards Chaos for every turn that it is in our possession. Do note that this does not stop the enemy AI from taking them anyway, since the AI doesn't have to deal with the alignment system.

Here is the R&D screen. Here is where we can invest into our research and eventually develop new suits once they become available. General, Mobile Suit, and Mobile Armor research all goes up by putting money into them, but Enemy tech, as far as I can tell, only goes up while you have an A rank spy level.

Research starts out cheap, but as the research level goes up, so does the price to raise it. I went ahead and put $400 into all three.

This is the development screen. Here is where we actually create the new units that our research will uncover.

Of course, we have to spend even more money in order to get the unit in question.

And if you're the impatient sort, you can double the investment and cut the time it takes for the unit to be created by half.

I double'd up on the MS-06F, and only spent the initial cost for the Dopp and Jotunheim ship since I don't need those two right now.

Next is the projects screen. As the game goes on, we'll get several different projects or events that we will have to initiate from this screen. In fact, the game won't let us attack any of the enemy bases during the One Year War unless we initiate the corresponding project from here. The First Drop Operation will allow us to attack Odessa, which is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL for us to have since Odessa gives us a massive amount of material per turn (1,600). Public Speech will raise all of our units morale to make them fight better. Handy, but not really needed if you keep your guys constantly fighting. Looting money and material will give us 3,000 of the resource in question, but will lower our alignment towards Chaos. Use only in emergencies if you're going for Law. Exchanging material for money is something I'll get to once I have enough material to initiate it (30,000).

System Menu isn't really something I need to show off, and End Turn does exactly what is says it does, so let's move on to the Territory screen.

Let's use Solomon as an example. Bases like Solomon are the only place where you can build new units. Base locations are marked by having a large dot on them. Moving units does what you'd expect. Transport to space can only be used on bases that are located on Earth, and Drop to Earth can only be done on the territories over Earth.

From the unit management screen, we can do three things.

The first is to change a unit's weapon load out. As you can see, we can either equip a Zaku-II with a machine gun, or a bazooka. The Machine gun requires less energy, but is weaker and less accurate than the Bazooka. The Bazooka, however, requires more energy to fire and also slows down a unit's movement. There's no real need for the Bazooka right now, so we'll stick with the machine gun.

The second thing you can do is check a units stats, since you can see those in the above screenshots, let's instead talk about what the stats actually do.

Most of the stats should be rather self-explanatory. Limit just shows how much adding an Ace Pilot to the unit will increase it's capabilities. Exhaustion and Morale have an effect on the unit during combat, High exhaustion will lower their performance, while having high morale will increase it. Always keep an eye on a units exhaustion so you know when you have to pull them back and give them a rest.

Attackable and Moveable terrain indicate, well, just what terrain the unit can move into, and attack. Something that's greyed out means that the unit can move and attack into that terrain, but it's performance will be cut in half. Here is all of the terrain that appears in the game.

1. Plains
2. Desert
3. Mountain
4. Forest
5. Snow
6. Water
7. Sky
8. Space

as you can see, the Zaku-II... kinda sucks at fighting on Earth. Still, it's the best we've got right now, so we'll just have to make do.

Option Three will let us assign Aces to the suits. I didn't assign anything yet, but I will before I begin my attack.

Here is the Build screen. Since we have no material, this is useless to us now.

Remodeling will allow us to upgrade old and busted suits into the new hotness. Suits can only be remodeled into specific types, though, so you can't turn a Zaku-II into, say, a Dom since they are radically different suits.

Reinforce units will allow us to fill out any squads that have lost a unit.

Scraping a unit will give us back the amount of material it takes to make the unit, so once a unit stops being useful and can't be remodeled, it's best to scrap it so that you can reuse the material.

Map will allow you to see the terrain of a territory. The little points dotted around the map are supply bases, and the lines forming between them are supply lines. Keeping a unit on a base or supply line will repair and recharge them, but it will not replace lost units. A base also needs at least one connected supply line before it can repair and recharge units.

Now that all of that's out of the way, now it's time to list off all of our Ace Pilots and available Mobile suits.

Here is the list of available pilots

Here is the list of available Units

I'll keep these links in the OP as well, and keep them updated when we get new units and pilots for convenience.

Tobias Grant fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 1, 2014

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Yeah, aside from the obvious ones (the Zabis, Gato and holy gently caress Char you're E rank why do you have those stats?) a bunch stood out to me. There are like 10 others that seem to have great stats, and a lot of room to grow for many of them. Thats like 15+ aces of amazing power for Zeon, can't wait to see which Tobias uses.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Sometimes you get really lucky with stealing tech, like playing the federation and getting the zaku ii when you a are relying on tanks and planes for close combat.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I take it Bernie (from 0080) hasn't been recruited yet?

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

The Sandman posted:

I take it Bernie (from 0080) hasn't been recruited yet?

Bernie shows up near the end.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
Not all pilots are going to be present at first; the games are generally pretty good about paying attention to characters' backstories, so they'll only show up at certain points of the war.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Going Lawful on the scale is the better of the two, but it's going to be a drat challenge to do so as Zeon.

Tobias you forgot one other disadvantage Zeon has: No Haros.

LEGO Genetics fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 15, 2013

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

LEGO Genetics posted:

Going Lawful on the scale is the better of the two, but it's going to be a drat challenge to do so as Zeon.

Tobias you forgot one other disadvantage Zeon has: No Haros.

Zeon has Acguys, they don't need Haros.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Totally need to get some Ramba Ral and Norris Packard tag-team in here.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Agent Interrobang posted:

This is the life-long wish I never knew I had.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012
I note that someone on the "War in the Pocket" team was a Peter Cushing fan, seeing as Von Helsing looks entirely too much like anime-ed Grand Moff Tarkin to not be a reference to Cushing's two most widely known roles.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
Looking over our recruits, we seem to have an interesting batch. Quite a few C and D rank experiences, very few Es.

I look forward to seeing exactly how lawful we will remain by the end of this playthrough - I assume your law/chaos balance has an affect on endings? Are there endings beyond one per faction?

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Trollhawke posted:

I look forward to seeing exactly how lawful we will remain by the end of this playthrough - I assume your law/chaos balance has an affect on endings? Are there endings beyond one per faction?

Nothing that's really depended on Law/Chaos except for the very end, but there are a couple of different endings you can get if you make the wrong choices, like Getting murdered by Kycilia if you use the Solar Ray on Degwin.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Can you explain what you mean by "plot death" disadvantage when it comes to Zeon, or would it be spoilers?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

KazigluBey posted:

Can you explain what you mean by "plot death" disadvantage when it comes to Zeon, or would it be spoilers?

Well, I'm going to guess that "Amuro going through our guys like a Heat Hawk through butter" is a big part of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KazigluBey posted:

Zeon are the bad guys in the original Gundam television show. If you follow the plot, uh, things don't go well.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

The Sandman posted:

Well, I'm going to guess that "Amuro going through our guys like a Heat Hawk through butter" is a big part of it.

Pretty much. It basically comes down to "If you put one of your aces in a place that White Base will be, they will probably die."

One thing to keep in mind is the canonically, by the end of the war Zeon was throwing absolute rookies onto the front line because everyone else had died pretty much. So it stands to reason that if you follow all the canon decisions you are going to suffer a lot of plot death, generally at the hands of Amuro.

Being 100% law in some scenarios does have an affect on how the last part of the game plays out, but I don't know if that would be too much of a spoiler so for now I will stay silent on it.

Being Law/Chaos do bring their own benefits. We will see the ones for being high law, but being chaos enables some absolute silly stuff(I believe they were available in this one at least) such as colony drop operations on a whim, solar lasers for the fun of it, shooting the colony laser whenever you want, etc.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Agent Interrobang posted:

The MS-07 Gouf bros?

The Sandman posted:

The Zeon called the White Base "the Trojan Horse," and the metaphor stood up because basically every Zeonic attempt to go after it ended like the end of the Iliad. Don't gently caress with the White Base and crew.

Zeon responded to the Federation's late push to mass-produce cheap knockoffs of the Gundam (the GMs) and end Zeon's monopoly on mobile suits by basically giving up on quantity and focusing on quality, a smaller number of extremely powerful mobile armors piloted by aces that could devastate the GMs even when they were dramatically outnumbered. This plan had the critical flaw that Amuro Ray destroyed basically every one of the mobile armors, neutralizing Zeon's quality advantage.

Having not played this game, I hope there's a way to take out the RX-78-2 and its boy pilot when we first encounter it so it doesn't cut a wide swathe through our ranks.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 15, 2013

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Didn't Ramba Ral come the closet in canon to taking out white base?

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

All this time, and I never knew Roberto and Apolly were Zeon vets; I always figured they were disaffected EFSF vets like Blex Forer.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Meaty Ore posted:

All this time, and I never knew Roberto and Apolly were Zeon vets; I always figured they were disaffected EFSF vets like Blex Forer.

Which makes Lt. Quattro Bajeena's flawless disguise even more hilarious. All those Zeon vets obviously wouldn't recognize Zeon's greatest ace right there aboard the Argama with them...after all, Char didn't wear sunglasses!

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I have some questions about the stats of the mobile suits. How come on one screen it shows bars, and on the other numbers? Why does the HP read 60 on the one with the numbers and 180 on showing the actual suit? What's the 3 in parentheses mean? I figure that the two are related, since 60 x 3 = 180, and it says 100 energy on the left of the stat screen and 300 on the right.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
The low ranks shouldn't matter too much initially; the best the Federation can muster right now on land for Odessa would be bombers, fighter jets, and the Type 61 tanks. They need to be fielded in absurd qualities to be effective against even the Zaku IICs. If anything, it'll be good training for the named characters to sink their teeth into.

This is also why playing as the Federation is really, really difficult early on. You have the money and minerals like Tobias mentioned, but you don't have quality stuff to spend it on. While you CAN pay through the nose to deploy the Project V prototypes (and build more of each), they're horrendously expensive, and they're only a single unit.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Meaty Ore posted:

They were pretty much retconned into being former Zeon troops. I think this was the game that did it.

Kind of disappointed you're going for Law. Now how's Gihren going to show Hitler who's boss?

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Once we get to certain points of the campaign it will be time for Gundam inspired mixed drinks for the readers at home.

Basarin posted:

The low ranks shouldn't matter too much initially; the best the Federation can muster right now on land for Odessa would be bombers, fighter jets, and the Type 61 tanks. They need to be fielded in absurd qualities to be effective against even the Zaku IICs. If anything, it'll be good training for the named characters to sink their teeth into.

This is also why playing as the Federation is really, really difficult early on. You have the money and minerals like Tobias mentioned, but you don't have quality stuff to spend it on. While you CAN pay through the nose to deploy the Project V prototypes (and build more of each), they're horrendously expensive, and they're only a single unit.

Heh. Playing the Federation early game is basically what happens prior to the show.

1. Zeon launches a blitz to gain territory and resources.

2. You garrison the gently caress out of Jaburo and try to prevent more territory taken.

3. Eventually both sides reach a stalemate and go into a research frenzy.

4. Project V happens and eventually finds it way to Side 7...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

MechaCrash posted:

I have some questions about the stats of the mobile suits. How come on one screen it shows bars, and on the other numbers? Why does the HP read 60 on the one with the numbers and 180 on showing the actual suit? What's the 3 in parentheses mean? I figure that the two are related, since 60 x 3 = 180, and it says 100 energy on the left of the stat screen and 300 on the right.

Okay

Certain units are Ace units (meaning they deploy singularly, with only a single HP and Energy bar) then there are Group units, where essentially a single Zaku is actually like 3 Zakus, and a certain amount of HP is each of them.

Ontop of this, you can stack units. I personally like to stack Ace suits piloted by Aces on top of Grunts piloted by nothing. Though early on in the federation campaign it's "shove everyone into Type-61/Fly Manta and pray to god" Tin COD got a lot more useful with the addition of Dodai Zaku II.

gently caress Dodai Zaku II.

LEGO Genetics posted:

Once we get to certain points of the campaign it will be time for Gundam inspired mixed drinks for the readers at home.

Heh. Playing the Federation early game is basically what happens prior to the show.

1. Zeon launches a blitz to gain territory and resources.

2. You garrison the gently caress out of Jaburo and try to prevent more territory taken.

3. Eventually both sides reach a stalemate and go into a research frenzy.

4. Project V happens and eventually finds it way to Side 7...

Hell no Federation Early Game is shoving Revil into a Tank and having him ram it into a Zaku II, then bitch at everyone while he's recovering from war wounds.

Or stalling until the Guntank. That thing is ridiculous. With the Guncannon being even more and the Gundam essentially winning the earth war.

As I mentioned, I challenged someone long ago to do a Fed run with no MS, using only what they stole from Zeon and conventional tanks/planes/ships.

That was amazing.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Man type 61 are awesome have you seen GUNDAM MS IGLOO 2 PRIDE OF E.F.G.F. Okay so yes the Zakus still take out more tanks then they lose Zakus but by god they win the fight. They beat the mobile suits and it is awesome.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

cokerpilot posted:

Man type 61 are awesome have you seen GUNDAM MS IGLOO 2 PRIDE OF E.F.G.F. Okay so yes the Zakus still take out more tanks then they lose Zakus but by god they win the fight. They beat the mobile suits and it is awesome.

And that's why even without MS, the Federation still would have won the war. Just not in a year.

Or at least back when the original 0079 was out and no MS actually participated in Operation Odessa (except for the White Base, and they didn't really make it there).

Oh course in Blood of Zeon there really is only one way to play

I am the bow of my Salamis

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I am so pumped to see an LP of this. Can I vote now that if we do not already we build 1 of every red warship?

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012

Onmi posted:

Hell no Federation Early Game is shoving Revil into a Tank and having him ram it into a Zaku II, then bitch at everyone while he's recovering from war wounds.

Heh. I was playing at a time when MS IGLOO wasn't a thing yet, and in all depictions up to that point, the Type 61s blew up if you so much as SNEEZED at them.

That being said, having a LOT of Type 61s really did help, especially if you have enough Manta bombers to support. None of them are that strong individually, but strength in mass and all that.

...never did put Revil in a Type 61. I did put him in a Big Tray (mobile command fortress with lots of big guns, FYI) once. That was funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009
You can probably add Char's Zaku IIC to the list of available units. While it can't be built at a base, you can convert 6 units to it on the first turn, resources permitting. Also Ramba Ral and Tristar Zaku Is.

Jegan fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 15, 2013

• Locked thread