Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Is the 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L any good or are you better off getting a fixed length lens? I kayak fish and can get pretty close to a lot of birds/animals and it seems like having a range of zooms to chose from would be kind of nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

fknlo posted:

Is the 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L any good or are you better off getting a fixed length lens? I kayak fish and can get pretty close to a lot of birds/animals and it seems like having a range of zooms to chose from would be kind of nice.

From a pure "whats the biggest telephoto I can get for not a stupid amount of money" standpoint, the 400 5.6 is cheaper and performs a bit better, but you lose that versatility of zoom range. Other than that, the 100-400 is well regarded and popular. Some don't care for the push/pull mechanism, and it's also a bit dated, but the IQ and AF are solid enough.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

fknlo posted:

Slight IQ benefit to the prime, offset entirely by it's lack of IS, which the Zoom has.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I absolutely love my 100-400L except for when I'm hiking a couple hours back. At that point I really wish I had the 400L prime instead. It is a lot lighter.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
100-400L kicks rear end.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I loved my 100-400 until I got to try a 500mm f4. Now it's like a marriage where we have to stay together for the kids.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

rcman50166 posted:

I can't afford anything larger than that 400. But I've tried a Nikon 600mm f/2.8 and some sort of 1000-2000mm lens that I can't seem to find the name for but here's a picture of my buddy using it.

Am I doomed? :ohdear:

Not if you continue to be friends and buy a Nikon converter.

erephus fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 15, 2013

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
OH GOD I BOUGHT IT WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME :gonk:. It was sitting there, right on ebay. It was mocking me. "Newly Listed!", it said. "Free Shipping," it said. Opening it sealed the deal. "This item is getting 8 views per hour". I knew it wouldn't last long. BUY. $950. What have I done? I'm going to have to sell my 40D and the 2X extender to begin to afford it. I am now the owner of a Canon 400mm f5.6L telephoto.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

rcman50166 posted:

OH GOD I BOUGHT IT WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME :gonk:. It was sitting there, right on ebay. It was mocking me. "Newly Listed!", it said. "Free Shipping," it said. Opening it sealed the deal. "This item is getting 8 views per hour". I knew it wouldn't last long. BUY. $950. What have I done? I'm going to have to sell my 40D and the 2X extender to begin to afford it. I am now the owner of a Canon 400mm f5.6L telephoto.

Well, thanks for ensuring the 400/5.6L Mk II IS will be released next week. :D

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
knowing Canon, that thing would be $3000-$4000 anyways.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

rcman50166 posted:

knowing Canon, that thing would be $3000-$4000 anyways.

Announced 2013, released 2016.

(And start saving for the 500/4, once the supertele bug's got you there's no going back. :D )

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Seeing how the 24-105mm/4 from Sigma is apparently making GBS threads all over Canon's, and expecting the same for the rumored 24-70mm/2(.8), I'd wait for anything longer from them.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
How is it "making GBS threads" over the 24-105L? I can see that its indeed better at the wide end but slightly worse at the long end. Also, I can't find the Sigma for less than $850 while the Canon can be had for less than $700 at times. It may be better but its nowhere near the levels of ownage that the 35mm ART is over the 35mmL. Sure, people moving into full frame with no FF lenses and therefore have to get one can spring for the Sigma but if you've already got a 24-105L don't bother lifting a finger.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

Seeing how the 24-105mm/4 from Sigma is apparently making GBS threads all over Canon's, and expecting the same for the rumored 24-70mm/2(.8), I'd wait for anything longer from them.

With an 82mm thread, it automatically loses for me.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Seamonster posted:

How is it "making GBS threads" over the 24-105L? I can see that its indeed better at the wide end but slightly worse at the long end. Also, I can't find the Sigma for less than $850 while the Canon can be had for less than $700 at times. It may be better but its nowhere near the levels of ownage that the 35mm ART is over the 35mmL. Sure, people moving into full frame with no FF lenses and therefore have to get one can spring for the Sigma but if you've already got a 24-105L don't bother lifting a finger.

The Sig 24-105 isn't that awesome of a deal for Canonhavers for all the reasons you listed. It is pretty awesome if you are Nikon or Sony user, though. In other Sigma news, it looks like they might be releasing a 135 f/2 Art sometime next year and announcing a line of fast, long Sport telephotos - 300 & 400 f/2.8 and 500 & 600 f/4 are expected. Should be very exciting!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A 24 or 28 art would be nice too.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

800peepee51doodoo posted:

In other Sigma news, it looks like they might be releasing a 135 f/2 Art sometime next year and announcing a line of fast, long Sport telephotos - 300 & 400 f/2.8 and 500 & 600 f/4 are expected. Should be very exciting!
If they can even come close to the Canon 135/2 I will be extremely impressed.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Seamonster posted:

Good job comparing new prices for the sigma with used prices for the canon. Nothing like throwing apples at oranges, nope.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

Good job comparing new prices for the sigma with used prices for the canon. Nothing like throwing apples at oranges, nope.
"Used" for the 24-105 is something of a misnomer, since the vast majority of them on the third-party market are unused lenses split from the 5DIII kit.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Mr. Despair posted:

Canon 24-105 new, from Buydig 2 weeks ago for $694. Never mind when they popped up as official Canon refurbs for even less.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

The Sig 24-105 isn't that awesome of a deal for Canonhavers for all the reasons you listed. It is pretty awesome if you are Nikon or Sony user, though. In other Sigma news, it looks like they might be releasing a 135 f/2 Art sometime next year and announcing a line of fast, long Sport telephotos - 300 & 400 f/2.8 and 500 & 600 f/4 are expected. Should be very exciting!

I'm overjoyed with my 35 1.4 Art. It's stupidly sharp wide open, focuses really well, and looks awesome on full frame. Plus it was like $500 less than the Canon 35 1.4.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

dakana posted:

I'm overjoyed with my 35 1.4 Art. It's stupidly sharp wide open, focuses really well, and looks awesome on full frame. Plus it was like $500 less than the Canon 35 1.4.

Plus the Canon 35mm 1.4 L II that's probably coming next year will be stupidly expensive, though match its image quality.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
My sigma 35 is so good I rarely take it off. Wide open Av mode with Auto ISO is like easy mode for awesome photographs of kids around the house.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I have a canon 35mm 1.4 L. Is the sigma really that much better? What are the pros and cons of the sigma?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

somnambulist posted:

I have a canon 35mm 1.4 L. Is the sigma really that much better? What are the pros and cons of the sigma?

The Sigma is better than the 35L in that it's sharper, has less fringing, cheaper, and Sigma has an adapter that lets you fix any potential focus issues yourself (meaning you can safely purchase a used/refurb without worries).

I think I paid like $650 for my refurb. I still haven't sold my 35L, but I also haven't used it in forever. Definitely going to enjoy a slight upgrade with $300~ in my pocket though.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I went through the previous pages and only saw a brief discussion on this. I'm thinking of buying a new lens and I was checking the 28mm lineup of Canon. Is there a reason to pick up the 2.8 version over the 1.8 aside the age of the design?

Also, I saw the Sigma 18-35mm mentioned. I was planning on selling my 85mm to help buy a new lens, but is it worth it to sell my (well-worn) 17-40mm? I think I could get roughly 600 euros for the two.

(I have a 7D which I've had for about four years, but I don't think I'm going to sell that soon anyways so the prospect of switching to fullframe isn't a problem)

theloafingone
Mar 8, 2006
no images are allowed, only text

Fragrag posted:

I went through the previous pages and only saw a brief discussion on this. I'm thinking of buying a new lens and I was checking the 28mm lineup of Canon. Is there a reason to pick up the 2.8 version over the 1.8 aside the age of the design?

The 28mm 1.8 does not seem like a good lens as per this review:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-28mm-f-1.8-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

I've heard good things about the new wide IS primes though, but they are fairly expensive.

Edit: If you are considering the Canon 28mm 1.8, I would highly recommend looking at the Sigma 30mm 1.4. I haven't personally owned it, but from what I've seen and read, it is generally a well-performing lens for the price.

theloafingone fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 18, 2013

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

theloafingone posted:

The 28mm 1.8 does not seem like a good lens as per this review:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-28mm-f-1.8-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

I've heard good things about the new wide IS primes though, but they are fairly expensive.

Edit: If you are considering the Canon 28mm 1.8, I would highly recommend looking at the Sigma 30mm 1.4. I haven't personally owned it, but from what I've seen and read, it is generally a well-performing lens for the price.

I've been using this lens as my go to for a decade on my 10D (and now my new 70D) - It's actually pretty nice - it's not ULTRAMEGASHARP wide open, but most SLR lenses not made in the past few years are not. (Take my 50 1.4 with it's built in soft focus effect @ 1.4 as an example :)) I have heard that sigma is excellent though.

Jolarix
Feb 28, 2004
Your reading skill has increased by +1 point(s).
What 'Class' of SD card should I get for my Canon SL1? Is Class 10 enough for the occasional burst shoot, and amateur video?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Canon 1.4 arrived and took some test shots with my 6D. It's beautiful.

Jolarix posted:

What 'Class' of SD card should I get for my Canon SL1? Is Class 10 enough for the occasional burst shoot, and amateur video?

Class 10 will do 1080p on DSLRs so I'd assume so. They're all pretty cheap now, so no reason not to get a decent brand too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yep, should do fine.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SanDisk has the best warranty by far, so buy their stuff.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
I had a scan disk card break apart on me, I e-mailed them, telling them what happened and they replaced it with no hassle. I didn't even have to prove I owned the thing.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

doctor 7 posted:

Canon 1.4 arrived and took some test shots with my 6D. It's beautiful.

Class 10 will do 1080p on DSLRs so I'd assume so. They're all pretty cheap now, so no reason not to get a decent brand too.

canon 1.4? That's a pretty vague way to describe a lens.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Mr. Despair posted:

canon 1.4? That's a pretty vague way to describe a lens.

Sorry, Canon 50mm f1.4. Didn't know there was another 1.4 lens by Canon.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

doctor 7 posted:

Sorry, Canon 50mm f1.4. Didn't know there was another 1.4 lens by Canon.

There are, but they aren't really worth talking about.

maybe the 24mm is? I dunno

theloafingone
Mar 8, 2006
no images are allowed, only text

Mr. Despair posted:

There are, but they aren't really worth talking about.

maybe the 24mm is? I dunno

I was curious so I looked it up. Apparently the only other EOS 1.4 lenses are the 24L and 35L.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Rumor time!

Supposedly a new high-end camera coming 2014, with that high resolution sensor that was rumored about months earlierm, and an hybrid viewfinder, altho rumor says it's for video only (which would be loving stupid, give me focus peaking). Supposedly called the EOS-A1.

http://www.canonwatch.com/canon-rumor/

If that's true and I had to guess, it'll probably be priced close to 1D-X.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
High megapixel count would be loving retarded for a video-only camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, the EVF in the hybrid viewfinder would be video only.