Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

37th Chamber posted:

Is there any application that allows you to set, on a per-application basis, the audio output device it uses?
Nope.

Bouchacha posted:

What's the best way to normalize volume across all applications? The built-in "Loudness Equalization" option seems to merely limit the range at which a given application can go, but you still have distinct hierarchies in terms of which applications are louder than others. Is there any other way to either tweak that option or download/buy a program that sets the same baselines for every application?
You're poo poo out of luck too.

ufarn posted:

Does anyone have experience using a dinky Zalman clip-on mic on Windows 8.1?

I just wanted a really basic mic for playing online, but Windows 8.1 won't even detect it, and I've run out of things to try out to fix it.

Here is a screenie; I disabled the devices that weren't working anyway.

You have disabled the microphone input, apparently. If it doesn't detect the microphone with that enabled (and unmuted and selected as input), have you tried looking for drivers for the VIA High Definition Audio Device? Like if you're using generic Microsoft ones, go look for them on the VIA website. Or vice versa, if you're using the VIA ones, try uninstalling them and have Windows provide you with a generic one.

I'm assuming you're talking about a non-usb mic like the Zalman ZM-Mic1 that wouldn't show up as a separate audio device.

You could also have a bad mic cable (do you have a cat?) or a bad contact in the mic in plug on your motherboard.

Some onboard audio does auto detect and it doesn't matter which of the holes you use. So you could try plugging it into the line in hole.

Whatever it is, I don't think disabling any of the stuff in the screenshot is going to help you in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Are AVG and Avast! still the best choices for free antivirus software not named Microsoft Security Essentials? I'm having a very tough time getting my computer to install MSE after a borked Windows update and I'm ready to just say gently caress it and install something else. The goon who helped me for most of the thread also recommended the free version of bitdefender, which I hadn't heard of before.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
If I want to replace my current OS hard drive, is it feasible to simply clone the disk and swap it out? Is there any reason not to do this if I don't want to reinstall Windows? Both drives would be SSDs, so Google suggests it would be slow (?), but I don't think that matters.

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

Keyboard Kid posted:

If I want to replace my current OS hard drive, is it feasible to simply clone the disk and swap it out? Is there any reason not to do this if I don't want to reinstall Windows? Both drives would be SSDs, so Google suggests it would be slow (?), but I don't think that matters.
Absolutely clone it if you don't want to reinstall. I've had a Win7 install since RTM that's gone through multiple drives, including an spinning disk to SSD to another SSD.
And the clone will be the opposite of slow.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Armourking posted:

Absolutely clone it if you don't want to reinstall. I've had a Win7 install since RTM that's gone through multiple drives, including an spinning disk to SSD to another SSD.
And the clone will be the opposite of slow.

Nothing else I'd have to do to set it up then? Sounds simple enough. What would be the best software to use for this nowadays?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The official way is to make a system image in Backup & Restore, replace the old drive, and restore this image to the new one with a Windows repair or install disk.

The goon recommendation is to plug the new drive in the later SATA 6Gb/sec port (or whatever the fastest Intel port is), clone the boot drive to the new drive with Macrium Reflect (Free will do), and switch the new drive to the priority boot position.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

Nope.
You're poo poo out of luck too.
You have disabled the microphone input, apparently. If it doesn't detect the microphone with that enabled (and unmuted and selected as input), have you tried looking for drivers for the VIA High Definition Audio Device? Like if you're using generic Microsoft ones, go look for them on the VIA website. Or vice versa, if you're using the VIA ones, try uninstalling them and have Windows provide you with a generic one.

I'm assuming you're talking about a non-usb mic like the Zalman ZM-Mic1 that wouldn't show up as a separate audio device.

You could also have a bad mic cable (do you have a cat?) or a bad contact in the mic in plug on your motherboard.

Some onboard audio does auto detect and it doesn't matter which of the holes you use. So you could try plugging it into the line in hole.

Whatever it is, I don't think disabling any of the stuff in the screenshot is going to help you in any way.
Turns out it actually was working; it's just that I barely get any reading on input.

I've set the volume to 100%, but I have to hold it straight to my mouth, which makes it every sensitive to breathing. The Microphone Boost is currently at 0.

Leaving the task of tacking it on to my headphones aside, are there any specific settings I should adjust to improve on this half-baked performance?

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
I have a fairly modern PC with Windows XP, and I intend to buy and upgrade to Windows 8.1. I'm running Microsoft Office 2010.

From my understanding, programs and files will not transfer over and I will need to back them up elsewhere then reinstall everything after I transfer the backup to the new OS. This is fine as well.

My question is - what about Office 2010? Can it be retained through the upgrade? Can it be backed up and transferred just like every other program/file? Or would it get wiped out and I'd have to get my hands on an Office disk and key to install them on 8.1?

Koskinator fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 22, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

C-Euro posted:

Are AVG and Avast! still the best choices for free antivirus software not named Microsoft Security Essentials? I'm having a very tough time getting my computer to install MSE after a borked Windows update and I'm ready to just say gently caress it and install something else. The goon who helped me for most of the thread also recommended the free version of bitdefender, which I hadn't heard of before.

AVG is unadulterated garbage. People say good things about Avast.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I don't know if there's a point to using antivirus on Windows after MSE, but ESET is probably the best on out there. Use MalwareBytes, if you have a feeling there's something on your computer the others aren't detecting, although it comes with a few false positives.

EDIT: Christ, I don't recall ESET being that expensive.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I scanned the OP but I didn't quite see the answer I was looking for, so here's a question. Sorry if it has been asked a thousand times before.

I'm currently on Windows 7 Pro, and am buying a new desktop this week that will have Windows 8 pre-installed. Is it going to be possible to migrate my old OS in addition to my files? I'm not really looking forward to "upgrading" to 8 and would like to stay on 7 if possible.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ufarn posted:

I don't know if there's a point to using antivirus on Windows after MSE, but ESET is probably the best on out there. Use MalwareBytes, if you have a feeling there's something on your computer the others aren't detecting, although it comes with a few false positives.

EDIT: Christ, I don't recall ESET being that expensive.

Recent tests have MSE barely catching 60% of crap thrown at it while basically everything else on the market catches 95% or better. It's also really bad at selfdefense and preinstalled everywhere so viruses will often simply infect it first. It's officially the IE6 of antivirus programs.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 22, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yes, and a screwed-up Windows Update run has left my machine unable to install MSE for some mysterious reason (read the HOTS thread I posted, it's really bizarre), hence why I'm looking for something non-MSE. I'll just try Avast! instead.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Recent tests have MSE barely catching 60% of crap thrown at it while basically everything else on the market catches 95% or better. It's also really bad at selfdefense and preinstalled everywhere so viruses will often simply infect it first. It's officially the IE6 of antivirus programs.

Can you post these tests? The ones I look show MSE doing better. Anyway, the reason MSE does so badly compared to other malware protection software is because Microsoft gives away their virus definition.

Really, I still use MSE and Malwarebytes, though. Smart behavior and regular updates deal with most viruses. I believe most viruses caught are ones that have been patched away months ago. I'll have to find those papers again.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security/386185/microsoft-security-essentials-misses-39-of-malware-in-dennis-test

Also the last couple pages of the sticky in HoTS.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Hmm. AVComparatives painted a prettier picture of MSE, but who am I to argue. I guess I'll install Avast right away. Don't have any money for Kraspkery or bitDefender.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Read the PDF again. It assumes both a Windows 7 SP1 that has literally never been updated and the dumbest, most indecisive possible user.

MSE may very well not be enough anymore, but that isn't how you prove it.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
I assumed that that Dennis Technology Labs tests were using similar setups to AV Comparatives and AV-TEST. AV-TEST had corroborated the claim that MSE had a weakness for 0-day attacks (down to only 71% blocked on Windows 7 and 81% blocked on Windows 8 compared to a 91% and 95% average respectively) a little. I need to pay a little more attention to testing parameters apparently.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Read the PDF again. It assumes both a Windows 7 SP1 that has literally never been updated and the dumbest, most indecisive possible user.

I just updated an unpatched XP (pre SP1) box to SP3 and installed MSE. It's got to be better off now than it was.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
What's a good app for virtual desktops?

Also, is there some kind of "seamless zoom" app similar to the compiz zoom function on Linux? (Basically zoom the screen with the mousewheel. The win7 zoom is not really great)

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

midnightclimax posted:

What's a good app for virtual desktops?

Also, is there some kind of "seamless zoom" app similar to the compiz zoom function on Linux? (Basically zoom the screen with the mousewheel. The win7 zoom is not really great)

Why not just use Windows RDP and the magnifier utility, do you just want to have it bound to your mousewheel? Honestly I haven't seen any 3rd party applications that have worked nearly as well as RDP.

Of all the applications I've used so far, I think that Splashtop probably has the best performance and latency, but I'm not sure about their zoom functionality specifically.

You can probably modify these hotkeys using AutoHotkey or a Registry Hack to get what you want:

quote:

Magnifier keyboard shortcuts

Windows logo key + Plus Sign or Minus Sign Zoom in or out
Ctrl+Alt+Spacebar Preview the desktop in full-screen mode
Ctrl+Alt+F Switch to full-screen mode
Ctrl+Alt+L Switch to lens mode
Ctrl+Alt+D Switch to docked mode
Ctrl+Alt+I Invert colors
Ctrl+Alt+arrow keys Pan in the direction of the arrow keys
Ctrl+Alt+R Resize the lens
Windows logo key + Esc Exit Magnifier

If you want to use AHK just add this to your script for Win+Mousewheel functionality:

code:
#WheelUp::Send {LWinDown}{+}
#WheelDown::Send {LWinDown}{-}
Edit: You can set both Magnifier and AHK to ALWAYS be on, it's not like this functionality is going to get in the way.

By Virtual Desktop you probably meant a Virtual Machine and not Remote Desktop?

If so, then the big 2 are:
VMWare Server (Login Required Freeware Version of VMWare Desktop)
or
Virtual Box

Illuminado fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 23, 2013

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Windows RDP? No, I'm talking about this

basically having multiple desktops on the same machine, allowing me to drag and drop applications between them.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

midnightclimax posted:

Windows RDP? No, I'm talking about this

basically having multiple desktops on the same machine, allowing me to drag and drop applications between them.

Oh man, you just want to compiz out a Windows desktop.

I used this for a while, it was pretty bad back in 2009(?)
Yod'm 3d

They went payware after THAT release as Deskspace. Try out the trial and report back with your findings.

Movac
Oct 31, 2012
I remember finding VirtuaWin tolerable. All the virtual-desktop programs for Windows are a bit janky compared to what's on Linux.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Illuminado posted:

Oh man, you just want to compiz out a Windows desktop.

I used this for a while, it was pretty bad back in 2009(?)
Yod'm 3d

They went payware after THAT release as Deskspace. Try out the trial and report back with your findings.

I only mentioned compiz because of the zoom, I think it's excellent. Apart from that, I don't like its foshizzle 3D splosions desktop switcher. Doing a quick google I found http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/cc817881 , I'll give that a try.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Illuminado posted:

Why not just use Windows RDP and the magnifier utility, do you just want to have it bound to your mousewheel? Honestly I haven't seen any 3rd party applications that have worked nearly as well as RDP.

Of all the applications I've used so far, I think that Splashtop probably has the best performance and latency, but I'm not sure about their zoom functionality specifically.
He won't use RDP or Splashtop because those are remote desktop programs and not virtual desktop programs like he was looking for.

Here's a random example of a well known virtual desktop program: Dexpot

:sigh: poo poo I'm slow. Anyway, Dexpot.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I use VirtualWin on my Windows 8.1 machine and it works pretty well.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Flipperwaldt posted:

He won't use RDP or Splashtop because those are remote desktop programs and not virtual desktop programs like he was looking for.

Here's a random example of a well known virtual desktop program: Dexpot

:sigh: poo poo I'm slow. Anyway, Dexpot.

Dexpot it is, it's pretty sweet. The other two mentioned are ok, but Dexpot wins feature-wise. It's free for private use btw. ta

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
In my experience Dexpot is the best thing out there on Windows.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but can anyone recommend the best Windows blu-ray player software out there? Minimalist design, ability to play 3D blu-rays and the lowest cost possible are the things I am after. If there is one out there that plays HDDVDs it would be a super bonus because my drive can read both and I picked up a bunch of HDDVDs for cheap when the format died. Cheers.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

fuckpot posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but can anyone recommend the best Windows blu-ray player software out there? Minimalist design, ability to play 3D blu-rays and the lowest cost possible are the things I am after. If there is one out there that plays HDDVDs it would be a super bonus because my drive can read both and I picked up a bunch of HDDVDs for cheap when the format died. Cheers.

I don't have a blu-ray player, but it seems VLC Player can do it - http://www.videolan.org/developers/libbluray.html

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Grawl posted:

I don't have a blu-ray player, but it seems VLC Player can do it - http://www.videolan.org/developers/libbluray.html
Thanks, but after years of wonkiness I am looking for something pretty much rock solid.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

fuckpot posted:

Thanks, but after years of wonkiness I am looking for something pretty much rock solid.

http://hummingbird.me/community/forums/general-discussion/topics/video-playback-guide-with-mpc-hc-and-madvr

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I'm having trouble with Windows going into suspend mode while I'm afk and the backup app is uploading stuff. Is there a way to tell Windows not to shut down, because there is actually something going on? Apart from straight up disabling suspend, that is.

brianp34
May 23, 2004
www.bigbz.net

midnightclimax posted:

I'm having trouble with Windows going into suspend mode while I'm afk and the backup app is uploading stuff. Is there a way to tell Windows not to shut down, because there is actually something going on? Apart from straight up disabling suspend, that is.

http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Microsoft/DontSleep

Don't Sleep will do what you want here

brianp34 fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 25, 2013

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Yep, that does the trick, thanks.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Is there a good post outlining what I should to do optimize/clean up my windows 7 desktop? There's nothing in the OP about best practices for Windows 7

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

clockworkjoe posted:

Is there a good post outlining what I should to do optimize/clean up my windows 7 desktop? There's nothing in the OP about best practices for Windows 7

Personally I leave icons off but you might look into the "snap to grid" option.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

hifi posted:

Personally I leave icons off but you might look into the "snap to grid" option.

err, I meant the computer as a whole. It's running a bit slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brianp34
May 23, 2004
www.bigbz.net

clockworkjoe posted:

Disabling any programs that are running unnecessarily at start up will probably yield the greatest benefit. You can run msconfig then select the startup tab to see what is loading with windows. Be sure you know what you are disabling. I'm assuming your machine is malware free and the hardware itself is fine.