Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Scathach posted:

All I can think of is that it would be ridiculous, inappropriate, and hilarious things to hear.

Not to mention ridiculous speech impediments to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
Not to mention not actually knowing the language in any real sense.

The Comna
May 22, 2012

schtzn
schtzn
t-t-t-t
t-t-t-t
The fact that they refer to themselves as otakus shows that they know very little about the Japanese language.

In other news,the other day I had a friend post this:

I apologize for not expanding some of the text, but I didn't realize until after they deleted their post. For full disclosure, I am the yellow.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

The new Pope is my favorite Pope, he sends all my conservative Catholic friends into a rage.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Saagonsa posted:

I would love to hear someone try to speak Japanese from what they learned watching anime.

My buddy was a TA for Japanese and said there were always a few in the introductory class. Evidently, the Japanese spoken in anime is completely different from normal conversational Japanese. So they'd end up either sounding like they came out of a Samurai drama or talking like a manic child.

Most of them would drop out pretty quickly but those who stayed on were loving insufferable. I should ask him for some stories.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Shbobdb posted:

My buddy was a TA for Japanese and said there were always a few in the introductory class. Evidently, the Japanese spoken in anime is completely different from normal conversational Japanese.

Not only that, but if they've been watching commercially available anime, the translations are usually localized to make sense of idioms that may be otherwise difficult to understand, involve puns, or cultural references that anyone but the most dedicated Nipponophile wouldn't get. The better ones at least have translation notes somewhere (not the "Keikaku means plan" variety) to explain, but that would require actually trying to read and learn. Instead, they just decide that what they heard matches up to the subtitles (or, worse, the English dialogue from the American TV release) and spout off phrases like it was the goddamn meme thread.

If they've been watching fansubs, God help you. Took one fansub group half a season of one show to fix their translation of the theme song. They never went back and fixed the subs in the prior releases, either.

Kugyou no Tenshi has a new favorite as of 07:34 on Dec 27, 2013

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I'd love to see these people go to Japan and actually try to get around on their own. Bumbling manchildren spewing ridiculous words.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I feel like the same kind of people who think they can learn Japanese from anime would also not recognize how stilted dialogue is in lots of American shows, too, so maybe they don't even realize people on TV talk differently than people in real life

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

My Tulpamancer summons a level 3 Road Buddha.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Coincidentally, does anyone have that Tumblr post where some guy stood up a body pillow in front of a hotplate of taco meat and said something like "My wife is the best, she made me tacos <3"?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Saagonsa posted:

I would love to hear someone try to speak Japanese from what they learned watching anime.

I happen to know how to say "You're already dead." with perfect inflection.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Saagonsa posted:

I took two semesters of Japanese in college and at least two thirds of the class was made up of people like this. It's loving painful to listen to. Their pronunciation is horrible and childish.

Imagine if somebody learned English solely from watching Teletubbies and Spongebob.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Elderbean posted:

The only way to instill respect is to hit your kids. Also, the guy who posted this is generally a massive assshole. The one and only time I had him over he got way too drunk and pissed in my kitchen sink. He never apologised.

Ooh, I just saw this too. This woman's parents were abusive and she got into meth and had her first kid at 17 so idk. I guess you could say she respects others cause she's really nice, but she never respected herself much. :(

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Shbobdb posted:

My buddy was a TA for Japanese and said there were always a few in the introductory class. Evidently, the Japanese spoken in anime is completely different from normal conversational Japanese. So they'd end up either sounding like they came out of a Samurai drama or talking like a manic child.

Most of them would drop out pretty quickly but those who stayed on were loving insufferable. I should ask him for some stories.

This is magical :allears:

Most of the Japanese I know is stupid phrases I picked up from anime, but I'm also aware enough to know that no real person talks like that :v:
I went to enough conventions as a teenager to know that there are plenty of people who aren't that aware, though, and it's pretty fabulous. You haven't really touched poop until you've had a conversation in person, in English, with a person who peppers their sentences with words like "tsundere" and "baka".

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Thread posted:

Japanese talk

So true. The fansubs thing is true, and it's just awful to talk to people who think they know Japanese from anime. I'm no scholar, but I actually have taken classes and it's just... a language.

Also, regarding the Spongebob thing, there was a comic about a Japanese neckbeard treating Sponegbob the way ~otaku~ treat anime... But I can't find it right now.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

Serperoth posted:

Also, regarding the Spongebob thing, there was a comic about a Japanese neckbeard treating Sponegbob the way ~otaku~ treat anime... But I can't find it right now.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Remember Water of the Womb mom? She's back, and she's out for revenge!

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I took two semesters of Japanese in college and at least two thirds of the class was made up of people like this. It's loving painful to listen to. Their pronunciation is horrible and childish.

Imagine if somebody learned English solely from watching Teletubbies and Spongebob.

Is this why any native English speaker makes their voice all squeaky in YouTube videos when they are "speaking Japanese"?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Grem posted:

The new Pope is my favorite Pope, he sends all my conservative Catholic friends into a rage.

By saying stuff that Jesus said, more or less. :laugh:

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

"my generation" :v: The guy who posted this is 20.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Clochette posted:

"my generation" :v: The guy who posted this is 20.
The Pledge of Allegiance is also up there with "Merry Christmas" for being something certain conservatives are Very Angry about a largely made-up liberal objection to. And where people are objecting to it, finding a loyalty oath to the country recited rote by schoolchildren who barely understand it to be creepy when you stop and think about it is pretty normal.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Guilty Spork posted:

The Pledge of Allegiance is also up there with "Merry Christmas" for being something certain conservatives are Very Angry about a largely made-up liberal objection to. And where people are objecting to it, finding a loyalty oath to the country recited rote by schoolchildren who barely understand it to be creepy when you stop and think about it is pretty normal.

Yeah it's always fun to post about in a thread full of people from other countries because they usually get super creeped out when you explain the whole school pledge ritual thing.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Kimmalah posted:

Yeah it's always fun to post about in a thread full of people from other countries because they usually get super creeped out when you explain the whole school pledge ritual thing.

Wait, you were expected to do that every morning? Once a year or once a term I can kinda understand, but every morning?! Sorry US Goons, but that is kinda creepy.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

OldMemes posted:

Wait, you were expected to do that every morning? Once a year or once a term I can kinda understand, but every morning?! Sorry US Goons, but that is kinda creepy.

Yep. Daily, in most schools. In some places the principal or a designated student would lead it over the intercom, even when I was a grade school student it felt distinctly Orwellian.

Wuhao
Apr 22, 2002

Pimpin' Lenin
Pssh, HIS GENERATION did it with hands over hearts. Earlier generations kept the original Bellamy salute, and didn't give a poo poo who they offended. loving kids these days.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I tried to explain once, to a teacher who was mad that I didn't do the pledge, that it was stupid to be compelled to pledge allegiance to a symbol of freedom. Yeah, I was a super edgy teenager.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Guilty Spork posted:

I always used to start it by saying "I pledge of allegiance to the flag..." and a lot of other kids did it too. It wasn't on purpose, we simply didn't think about the words and thoughtlessly recited back what we thought we heard.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

OldMemes posted:

Yes, every morning following along with the principal facing toward an American flag (EVERY room had a flag in it) with our hands over our hearts. At the time I didn't think about it, but in retrospect it is really loving weird. Of course like the other posters mentioned, we were kids and didn't really even understand what the hell we were saying, just kind of mumbling along because if you didn't say you'd get in trouble. I honestly only knew what about half the words to the pledge even were as a kid - like when you only know part of a song's lyrics and just fill in the rest by imitating what the words sound like.

Pretty much everyone quit by middle or high school once the fear of getting in trouble wore off. Teachers of course would have a fit like we were personally destroying ARE FREEDOMS by not participating.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
In my school from grades 1-6 or so, we assembled in the hall to sing random songs out of a book we all got handed out. It was boring as poo poo, and most just mumbled along. No hymns that I can recall, but it was a bit odd thinking back. We all hoped for the ones with the least verses.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
When I went to high school in Texas, we'd only say the pledge at the beginning of the week, but in elementary school, we said it every day, as well as the Texas pledge. I couldn't remember the words to that one, so I looked it up online, and turns out they added "one state under God" to it in 2007 :rolleyes:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Scathach posted:

All I can think of is that it would be ridiculous, inappropriate, and hilarious things to hear.

It pretty much is. I failed my Japanese 101 class, and even I could tell just how terrible it is when a "self-taught" speaker tries to say anything beyond a single word (sometimes even just that). It's even better when they try to speak to a native Japanese speaker (even more so if it's a woman), since they just have to show how much their animes taught them they learned by themselves.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I went to Catholic school so we added a little pro-life line about "life and liberty for all... born and unborn." It was mind blowing when I was in high school and finally realized what I'd been saying for years

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Clochette posted:

I always used to start it by saying "I pledge of allegiance to the flag..." and a lot of other kids did it too. It wasn't on purpose, we simply didn't think about the words and thoughtlessly recited back what we thought we heard.
I went several years before I realized that it was "And under the republic for which it stands" and not "And under the republic for wichid stands." Back in 1st grade it was basically a bunch of complicated nonsense words to us, and I think it did more than any single thing to make patriotism seem silly and stilted to us at the time.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Guilty Spork posted:

I went several years before I realized that it was "And under the republic for which it stands"

"To the republic" actually. Though to be honest, I thought it was "One nation, under God, individual" for a long time.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

MizPiz posted:

It pretty much is. I failed my Japanese 101 class, and even I could tell just how terrible it is when a "self-taught" speaker tries to say anything beyond a single word (sometimes even just that). It's even better when they try to speak to a native Japanese speaker (even more so if it's a woman), since they just have to show how much their animes taught them they learned by themselves.
There's this infamous example of the "anime band" Leet Street Boys who got interviewed by one of the hosts from a Japanese television show. One of the people she met in America inadvertently and horribly insulted her by referring to her in one of the worst ways you can in the Japanese language.

If you can stomach the awkwardness, here's the video. The part where she shares with the other hosts about the dumbass who spoke to her is around 2:25.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBLawAtIpyg

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
This just popped up on my feed with a picture of a crying soldier. Too lazy to screenshot it. :effort:

quote:

***A MUST SHARE*** A young man working in the army was constantly humiliated because he believed in God. One day the captain wanted to humiliate him before the troops. He called the young man and said: – Young man come here, take the key and go and park the Jeep in front. the young man replied: – I cannot drive! The captain said: – Well then ask for assistance of your God! Show us that He exist! The young man takes the key and walked to the vehicle and begins to pray…… …He parks the jeep at the place PERFECTLY well as the captain wanted. The young man came out of the jeep and saw them all crying. They all said together: – We want to serve your God! The young soldier was astonished, and asked what was going on? The CAPTAIN crying opened the hood of the jeep by showing the young man that the car had no engine. Then the boy said: See? This is the God I serve, THE GOD OF IMPOSSIBLE, the God who gives life to what does not exist. You may think there are things still impossible BUT WITH GOD EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE. To the person reading this, I pray the Lord work A SUPER MIRACLE in your life today that would look like a lie In Jesus Name I Pray.. Write 'Amen' to claim this prayer

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

To be fair, it's not all that hard to be a captain. There's one in my facebook feed right now who's convinced Canada has cured cancer but something something big pharma. For content,

I know Israel has a different approach to airport security because :hist101: but this is :histdowns:

:frogsiren: fakedit: Fox news reports that A&E is going to do business with the Duck Dynasty dude. Prepare yourselves :frogsiren:

Edit: While we're on the Nippon bandwagon, I tried to pseudo-self-teach myself Japanese for a stretch of time. I had previously studied Chinese in high school but wasn't very good with tones, so Japanese was a way to learn something simpler yet still asian-y. My reading level was at a preschool level, but I had almost no oral skills (heh) because the only people available nearby with were the biggest neckbeard weeaboo fucks. At one point I did meet a Japanese exchange student living with a family friend, and we did have bullshit two-line conversations which was pretty cool. She even complemented my pronunciation and calligraphy which were total holdovers from Chinese, but once she moved away I had no desire to continue. Anime ruins everything :negative:

Guest2553 has a new favorite as of 01:37 on Dec 28, 2013

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

MizPiz posted:

It's okay, the Japanese are inferior sub-humans.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

If you haven't been following the UK news, an explanation: Ian Wakins, lead singer of Lostprophets was recently convicted of some horrific child abuse and sentenced to 35 years in prison. A 56 year old man who happens to share the same name on twitter has been getting endless abuse and threats on twitter from dumbasses who can't work out a guy serving 35 years in prison probably won't still be tweeting too much.

Names not censored because it's public posting.

To confuse matters even more, there's another Ian Watkins from a pop band called Steps also received a bucketload of abuse, but also had his photo published in error alongside a news headline saying (paraphrasing) 'Singer Ian Wakins jailed for attempted Baby rape'

Unsurprisingly, he was really pissed off and hopefully is suing the poo poo out of them.

All 3 use(d) similar twitter names: @ian_watkins is the peadophile, @IanHwatkins is the popsinger and @ianwakins is the random guy. But never minded double checking your information, just throw it up online! :downs:

Spalec has a new favorite as of 01:28 on Dec 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Are there actually any journalists left? Or do you just need to produce a blog post and you get a 'PRESS' card to tug in your fedora hat band?

• Locked thread