Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

step aside posted:

Honest question, how do you get tired of the home screen? Are you spending lots of time staring at it or something?
I don't get it either, I've had essentially the same one since 2010.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

step aside
Sep 21, 2011
Like really, on my iPhone the only times I see the home screen are when I unlock and when I'm switching apps. I've never thought "gee, I'm bored of this." I genuinely don't get why people spend so much time trying to set up their home screen just so when it's only visible a small fraction of the time.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

step aside posted:

Like really, on my iPhone the only times I see the home screen are when I unlock and when I'm switching apps. I've never thought "gee, I'm bored of this." I genuinely don't get why people spend so much time trying to set up their home screen just so when it's only visible a small fraction of the time.
Well to be fair, an iPhone's homescreen is as useless as things get. The worst part about using iOS is having to always be inside apps whereas to me the best part of Android is having the information you need available without having to open anything. The "homescreen" on an iPhone is literally the garbage dump part of Android (to say it's the app drawer where you everything goes and you only venture there on rare occasion) so customizing the desktop presentation is worthwhile for an Android user.

I just don't see the point in constantly fiddling with it. It's like your PC's desktop, once your poo poo is where you want it why would you change things just to be doing so?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Well, OK. Mostly I want buttons to turn on and off WiFi and whatnot and I figured I'd might as well go ahead and make it look neat and pretty. I just have folders all over the place and it's boring and cluttered. I like to tinker with stuff like that too. I just haven't gotten around to setting it up how I like it yet.

step aside
Sep 21, 2011

LastInLine posted:

Well to be fair, an iPhone's homescreen is as useless as things get. The worst part about using iOS is having to always be inside apps whereas to me the best part of Android is having the information you need available without having to open anything. The "homescreen" on an iPhone is literally the garbage dump part of Android (to say it's the app drawer where you everything goes and you only venture there on rare occasion) so customizing the desktop presentation is worthwhile for an Android user.

I'd say iOS is more useful. Look at the stuff in this thread. Most people are either using only 10% of the entire screen in the name of minimalism or their using up 1/3 of it on redundant clocks. That isn't providing better at a glance information and it puts another layer between you and apps you want to open.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

step aside posted:

I'd say iOS is more useful. Look at the stuff in this thread. Most people are either using only 10% of the entire screen in the name of minimalism or their using up 1/3 of it on redundant clocks. That isn't providing better at a glance information and it puts another layer between you and apps you want to open.

The glorified app drawer cannot be more useful. I'm not even using my phone to its fullest extent and I have quick radio toggles, MP3 control, instant Shazam, and my work schedule on the home screen. With one tap I can access everything I'd be limited to on iOS.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

step aside posted:

I can't argue with your assessment of the thread but I will say that at least half of my apps I'd never use without a widget. If I had to open an app to read Twitter I guess I'd never read Twitter. If I had to open an app to see the weather forecast I guess I'd never know what the weather would be the next day. If I had to open an app to know what the week's agenda looked like...

Combine that with the other half of apps that only get opened via notifications and I'm left with visiting the app drawer approximately never. There's no less informative way to display information than 20 similar roundrects begging for your attention with a badge.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

step aside posted:

Since the people in this thread are choosing to do what they do with their desktops, their home screens are almost by definition "more useful".

If "one layer" access to your apps is what you desire, than an Android home screen can also provide just that.

The only way I can think of to stretch and make your point accurate is if you want to argue that some people, some times, want the phone to provide "one layer" access to their apps out of the box.

LastInLine posted:

There's no less informative way to display information than 20 similar roundrects begging for your attention with a badge.

A screen full of static that you have to process with image recognition software on your computer by displaying your phone screen to your web cam.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

A screen full of static that you have to process with image recognition software on your computer by displaying your phone screen to your web cam.
I was referring to the set of smartphone interfaces but to do you one better, replace all functions with unlabelled QR codes.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
So are there any good newbie guides or places with custom widgets I should look at? Everything I've found seems out of date. I was worried about derailing the thread but that other goon took care of that for me...

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
You can check http://mycolorscreen.com/ there are plenty of ideas to take from and they usually say what apps they used.
Going back a few pages of this thread also has examples of homes

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
I've been trying the Next laucher 3D and i love the 3D look of it, but one of the permissions is to make calls, and its bugging my head a bit.
Is there anything that i can install to make sure that it doesn't make any calls ?

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Micr0chiP posted:

I've been trying the Next laucher 3D and i love the 3D look of it, but one of the permissions is to make calls, and its bugging my head a bit.
Is there anything that i can install to make sure that it doesn't make any calls ?
Wow that sure is amazing looking. The phone call permission is almost assuredly for the ability to make shortcuts to contacts and make calls right from the launcher. I wouldn't worry about it, an app with 5-10 million installs is probably not calling 900 numbers in the background.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Micr0chiP posted:

:stare:

This pile of dogshit is seventeen earth dollars. $17

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

I mean, it looks smooth and all, and the idea could possibly have some merit of some sort, but the design is straight out of what a clueless person in 1985 would imagine as the UI of the future.

(also lol at $17)

(also lol at my opinions because he's got 100,000-500,000 installs of the paid version)

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

LastInLine posted:

Plus it's also closed source from a Chinese company that no one really seems to know a whole lot about. I don't know how they got so many people to pay for it. (Oh, right, the same type of people that donated to the END OF DAYS ROM guy.)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ really loving this THE CHINESE!!!! meme that's going around lately. Closed source on a paid app? Holy poo poo

Thermopyle posted:

(also lol at my opinions because he's got 100,000-500,000 installs of the paid version)

I have it, it was on one of those daily free app things a while back. It sure is a thing!

Honestly I couldn't even say if it's good or annoying because I didn't put any time into messing with it and seeing what it could do. It's a launcher with a bunch of effects and the defaults reminded me of Winamp skins, and I got bored and went straight back to Nova

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

^^^ really loving this THE CHINESE!!!! meme that's going around lately.
It's pretty much a forgone conclusion that apps from Russia and China are going to sell your contact list to spammers. Even if it isn't everyone from China (though it might as well be everyone from Russia) it's common enough that you should treat them all that way.*

*Full disclosure: I use ES File Explorer which is Chinese as gently caress and has permissions out the rear end including root.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

LastInLine posted:

It's pretty much a forgone conclusion that apps from Russia and China are going to sell your contact list to spammers. Even if it isn't everyone from China (though it might as well be everyone from Russia) it's common enough that you should treat them all that way.*

*Full disclosure: I use ES File Explorer which is Chinese as gently caress and has permissions out the rear end including root.

Yeah, I've put ES File Explorer on every device I've ever owned, easiest app that will let you browse a Windows share.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

How often does this actually happen though? Fraud and scamming happens absolutely everywhere. Western companies and governments are involved with surveillance and backdoors on mobile devices too. It doesn't make it endemic

I'm seeing a hell of a lot of this 'th...the Chinese!!' crap absolutely everywhere lately. Yes they're an up and coming superpower, yes they're a threat to western dominance and hegemony, no we don't all need to buy into the yellow peril line. People are constantly falling over themselves in a panic every time CHINESE INVOLVEMENT is found somewhere. It's pretty poo poo

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

How often does this actually happen though? Fraud and scamming happens absolutely everywhere. Western companies and governments are involved with surveillance and backdoors on mobile devices too. It doesn't make it endemic

I'm seeing a hell of a lot of this 'th...the Chinese!!' crap absolutely everywhere lately. Yes they're an up and coming superpower, yes they're a threat to western dominance and hegemony, no we don't all need to buy into the yellow peril line. People are constantly falling over themselves in a panic every time CHINESE INVOLVEMENT is found somewhere. It's pretty poo poo
You don't read any security blogs, do you? They are definitely selling your contact data. It's almost certainly not to a reputable data aggregator (although if most people knew how those were used they probably wouldn't imagine the black and grey markets could be worse). Best case scenario it's as bad as a Western nation. Worst case it's literally sold and used for spear-phishing. In between it's used to keep spam lists up to date.

I'm not talking about surveillance and backdoors, those are there no matter what. I'm talking about the fact that the emails, phone numbers, and addresses of all your contacts will be targeted for anything from spam, to targeted phishing, to targeted extortion for things like botnets and cryptolocker. Just don't take the risk.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

But you're taking the risk yourself with ES, so obviously you don't really believe it's a risk. There are shady apps doing shady poo poo everywhere, and if you believe apps that happen to have been made in one country are inherently safer and more trustworthy than those from another, you're just as easy a target.

I don't think most people actually believe this stuff, and they'll happily use apps from wherever and even enjoy the quirky translations and design. But they still jump to the knee jerk 'uh oh China' comments. It's not even about apps, it contributes to a general climate of suspicion and othering - and not just against people who are actually from China

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

datajosh posted:

Plus it's also closed source from a Chinese company that no one really seems to know a whole lot about. I don't know how they got so many people to pay for it. (Oh, right, the same type of people that donated to the END OF DAYS ROM guy.)

Yeah, the Go Launcher devs are a real fly by night operation.:rolleyes:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

But you're taking the risk yourself with ES, so obviously you don't really believe it's a risk. There are shady apps doing shady poo poo everywhere, and if you believe apps that happen to have been made in one country are inherently safer and more trustworthy than those from another, you're just as easy a target.

I don't think most people actually believe this stuff, and they'll happily use apps from wherever and even enjoy the quirky translations and design. But they still jump to the knee jerk 'uh oh China' comments. It's not even about apps, it contributes to a general climate of suspicion and othering - and not just against people who are actually from China
The fact is that it's mostly China that's the problem though because Google isn't allowed to sell apps there so every app has to be pirated. It would be different if there were anything other than black markets in China but there isn't. Literally the only way for them to monetize an app is to sell your data as China is not a Play Store merchant country.

This isn't knee jerk, this is common sense. Some, hell maybe even most Chinese apps are probably fine but the fact is that it's very much a reason to be suspicious of a lesser-known app even on the Play Store.

Klint
Dec 19, 2006
Klint Eastwood

influx. posted:

Here's what I've settled on. p much a blatant rip of the Elegante UCCW theme.

http://mycolorscreen.com/2013/09/23/elegante-mosjef shows 2 other pages, I'll definitely change the music player and Google Now wisgets down the track once I find some nice ones.

Is the "Mon 23, September" part of Elegante? When I installed Elegante I only have the clock and day of the week.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Klint posted:

Is the "Mon 23, September" part of Elegante? When I installed Elegante I only have the clock and day of the week.

If only it had that and the weather, I'd be good.

Klint
Dec 19, 2006
Klint Eastwood

Ghostpilot posted:

If only it had that and the weather, I'd be good.

I found out how to get the text. There is a link in the description of the widget to in the play store. You can download the uzip file with the date on the bottom and then use UCCW to import the skin.

influx.
Dec 16, 2007

Nice pants!

Klint posted:

I found out how to get the text. There is a link in the description of the widget to in the play store. You can download the uzip file with the date on the bottom and then use UCCW to import the skin.

^ This, theres a few different versions floating about.

I've changed themes up since then a few times and only just realised after your post that I don't have the date version of Elegante any more so thanks.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Anyone concerned about security exploits should look into the Xposed framework and the module for it called XPrivacy. It acts as a firewall for your applications and will allow you to customize each app so that it is only allowed access to certain privacy settings.

You can block access to anything: account data, your contact list, the phone's id, to the phone's hardware sensors and other lower level functions. It works so well that I've rendered some of my apps useless until I could figure out which settings needed to be unblocked for it to function correctly. I've come to depend on this to the point where I doubt I could live without it.

The framework doesn't work with ART and requires you to be rooted. You can search XDA to learn more about the framework and the modules for it, as well as XPrivacy.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

This is like babby's first customization experimentation but this is what I have on my Note 3 (Touchwiz/Nova/4.3)

More function than style on the home screen obviously. If your function is to browse social media all day.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

icons

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

Is this something like a zooper or uccw widget taking up the whole screen? I really like it.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

step aside posted:

A truly limitless capability for homescreen widgets and literally all people do with that functionality is weather widgets and clocks. Things the OS does natively and even tells you about in notifications and, poo poo, on the home screen if you've got the ~google experience launcher~

I like the flipboard widget cause it feeds you interesting :airquote: news stories but a) it doesn't rotate stories or update itself and b) the app is garbage and that's really all there is. Probably cause nobody uses it

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

leidend posted:

This is like babby's first customization experimentation but this is what I have on my Note 3 (Touchwiz/Nova/4.3)

More function than style on the home screen obviously. If your function is to browse social media all day.
The background is really sweet.

step aside
Sep 21, 2011

leidend posted:

Okay, so for the first one why do you have the date so small? I can get having a larger clock on the lock screen, but the tiny little date looks absurd next to the gigantic clock.

Second one, why do you waste a third of the screen on a clock widget? If you've already unlocked the phone presumably you're using it, and if you're using it, you have a clock in the top right corner.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

step aside posted:

Okay, so for the first one why do you have the date so small? I can get having a larger clock on the lock screen, but the tiny little date looks absurd next to the gigantic clock.

Second one, why do you waste a third of the screen on a clock widget? If you've already unlocked the phone presumably you're using it, and if you're using it, you have a clock in the top right corner.
Obviously I can't answer for leidend but the main reason people put clock widgets on the home screen is for a quick shortcut to their alarm app (and in the case of most time widgets, the weather app). Of course since he's using Nova there is an option (for root only) that allows you to hide the statusbar clock on screens containing a clock widget to avoid duplication.

The part I don't understand is why anyone would want 21 shortcuts on their main screen. Who is so regularly using twenty one goddamn apps that it's more convenient to have app shortcuts than useful information on the homescreen? Just organize the app drawer to suit your needs and use that, it's what it's for.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I guess you're talking about me. What kind of "useful information" do you propose I have instead? I never read news on my phone so RSS is out. Nobody calls me so the little # of missed calls icon is enough. I have the weather for today, yay. My calendar and minimal any.do widgets are on the second page, but I only look at those a couple times a week tops. 80% of my facebook contacts I've set to ignore new posts so I pretty much only use it for events. Even email I don't use so much anymore.

Granted one of Android's main strengths over iOS is widgets. But maybe not everyone uses their phone the same way as you? I'd much rather have one-touch access to my camera, to Chrome, to my train times app, alarms, to a notepad and calculator. I don't really give a drat about my available memory, CPU cycles, what time it is in Memphis TN, whether or not my wifi is on, or most of the other stuff people have on their desktops.

Hell my primary communication tool (and thus purpose of using my smartphone) is LINE, which doesn't even have a widget.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

zmcnulty posted:

I guess you're talking about me. What kind of "useful information" do you propose I have instead? I never read news on my phone so RSS is out. Nobody calls me so the little # of missed calls icon is enough. I have the weather for today, yay. My calendar and minimal any.do widgets are on the second page, but I only look at those a couple times a week tops. 80% of my facebook contacts I've set to ignore new posts so I pretty much only use it for events. Even email I don't use so much anymore.

Granted one of Android's main strengths over iOS is widgets. But maybe not everyone uses their phone the same way as you? I'd much rather have one-touch access to my camera, to Chrome, to my train times app, alarms, to a notepad and calculator. I don't really give a drat about my available memory, CPU cycles, what time it is in Memphis TN, whether or not my wifi is on, or most of the other stuff people have on their desktops.

Hell my primary communication tool (and thus purpose of using my smartphone) is LINE, which doesn't even have a widget.
Actually I was talking about leidend. I actually quite like yours even though it's not for me at all. The worst thing about one like yours is that I find it's too easy to launch things by accident but I just assume you're better at not accidentally brushing the screen than I am.

No, I mean people who literally just recreate the app drawer, stock icons with labels and everything, right there on the home screen. I can see one or two shortcuts but 20+ just all exactly like they are in the app drawer?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Ah, that makes a lot more sense.

I don't even have a lock screen, way too much work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

zmcnulty posted:

Ah, that makes a lot more sense.

I don't even have a lock screen, way too much work.

As many Android phones as I've seen eventually have the USB port wear out slightly and start turning the screen on itself I'd have to disagree with you there.

• Locked thread