Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
K I'm done. Y'all can do whatever you want with this :)

Looks like it was datamined months ago:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1lyuan/data_mining_the_other_crafts_and_ascended_items/

doesn't look like too many people have stockpiled until recently.

Secret Sweater fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

Any suggestions for a class? I think I want to play one of the light armor classes, but I don't know which. I'd go Mesmer but from what I remember they seem complicated. Who brings more to the table in PvE, ele or necro? What are the pros/cons of each?

Play both and stick with the one you like more. But since you asked.

Necro:
+ Highest base hp of any light class
+ More forgiving in WvW if you ever decide to go into that
+ Cool masks to start with

- Relies heavily on conditions and usually there is room for only one such guy in a dungeon, if any at all.
- Can spread conditions all over but most times the mobs would die faster with straight power types

Ele:
+ Trivializes a lot of content, especially AC 1 and 3 with Ice Bow / Flaming Sword
+ Best combo buffer in the game, can give lots of might stacks pretty much on demand
+ Highest theoretical dps in the game

- Squishiest class in the game
- Elemental head thingys are lame

Umm. That's about all I got. Ele is definitely a better class for PvE imho.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Or you could quit being a huge puss and just roll mesmer. This is an MMO, not Dark Souls. None of the classes are that hard to pick up within a few hours just for leveling.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
A power necro w/ death shroud spec & cavalier gear will trivialize most pve content with fantastic dps and super tankiness. Some variant of this build.

You can tweak around the edges a bit, but the gist of it is to maximize your death shroud uptime through soul reaping II, VIII, and XII. Although dagger may have marginally better dps than axe, axe #2 provides a super quick life force charge up . . . and since you should be spending most of your time in DS, weapon dps doesn't really matter.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Mesmer also has Timewarp and portal on top of solid DPS and reflects. Really though there isn't a bad class for pve. A year ago sure, there were some stinkers, but that is pretty well ironed out at this point.

I think the key is enjoying the dominant play style. If you don't like the DS mechanic there's not much point in playing necro.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

at the date posted:

Or you could quit being a huge puss and just roll mesmer. This is an MMO, not Dark Souls. None of the classes are that hard to pick up within a few hours just for leveling.

This guy knows what's up, mesmers are awesome. You can send clones of yourself against enemies to explode in kamikaze clouds of butterflies, it's great. Or use a greatsword to channel pink lasers at them. Also they get neat masks to start with, too.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
Mesmer is only a hard class to follow because a notable portion of their strength comes through the utility which isn't calculated with flat numbers. What they do have offensively is a mixed bag of tactical skills that makes a dedicated duelist build one of the trickiest classes to pin down on par with a thief.

High dps builds are not as simple as smacking someone upside the head until they die. Due to their illusions and built-in survivability as a mesmer, the damage is split between your damage, damage from your illusions and illusion shatter damage. It's not a very hard concept to learn but you might be one of those people who think it's too much effort like engineer.

In a support role they can bring to the table a large selection of tricks few others can match, projectile reflection and destruction, mass and single target boon strip, tactical mass invisibility, boon theft and boon sharing, chaos fields, portals and finally what warriors should have passively, group haste.

There is nothing to lose by trying out classes. PvE is easy enough that every class can survive perfectly fine and there are no commandments that you must play a class in a certain way (unless you're a ranger :laugh:). You certainly won't need to invest into the best gear possible just to test out a class.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I remember playing a Mesmer and not particularly enjoying it...I do remember liking Necromancers with axes, though, so I should give that a shot.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
As mentioned previously, mesmers require at least level 40 to get really good due to trait requirements. Go with necro, it's a really strong class for PvE. Both minion master (undead monsters everywhere) and well builds work well for leveling up. Latter is more high risk but fun way: you pull up a lot of aggro at once, bring the enemy close, smack down all your damaging/condition causing wells and use death shroud skill 4. You can solo a lot of group events this way.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Secret Sweater posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1lyuan/data_mining_the_other_crafts_and_ascended_items/

Been holding on to these since August.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

jyrque posted:

As mentioned previously, mesmers require at least level 40 to get really good due to trait requirements. Go with necro, it's a really strong class for PvE. Both minion master (undead monsters everywhere) and well builds work well for leveling up. Latter is more high risk but fun way: you pull up a lot of aggro at once, bring the enemy close, smack down all your damaging/condition causing wells and use death shroud skill 4. You can solo a lot of group events this way.

At launch I got a Mesmer up pretty high, I think i went like sword/pistol. I liked it, but it was a lot harder than my warrior. Was still fun, though...are there Mesmer builds that don't rely quite as much on conditions, or is that basically guaranteed with any build? The necro power axe build is nice because it's simple and straightforward.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

Secret Sweater posted:

You don't need to datamine this. It's in your collections.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

At launch I got a Mesmer up pretty high, I think i went like sword/pistol. I liked it, but it was a lot harder than my warrior. Was still fun, though...are there Mesmer builds that don't rely quite as much on conditions, or is that basically guaranteed with any build? The necro power axe build is nice because it's simple and straightforward.

If you want straight deeps on a mesmer you need to focus on one of two builds, or hybridize between them: shatter, and phantasm. Shatter builds maximize the amount of damage and minimize cooldowns on shatters and illusion summonings, while phantasm builds revolve around keeping your phantasms in play to deal more sustained damage.

Sword/Sword + Greatsword is what I use but almost every weapon is viable. Scepter and Torch aren't particularly good in pve though, at least as far as I've tested.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
What ^ said. Condition Mesmers excel in PvP. For PvE, I think people are mostly drawn to Mesmer because of gameplay style preference: none of the other classes play quite like a Mesmer does. Personally I like the classes that require skill synergy (Engineer) rather than brute force (Warrior). Necromancer feels like a good middle ground between the two.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
I've been trying to enjoy my Mesmer and Engineer but I feel so wimpy in both. I'm trying to remember if I felt so wimpy at low levels on my Ranger and I can't remember. I just ran around throwing axes at poo poo all day.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Speaking as someone with 8 80s, every class does have a fun and distinct playstyle, and even within the classes different specs and weapon setups can be very different. It really is all about just finding the one you think is the most fun. Seriously the best advice is "mess around with everything and stick with what you like."

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SlothBear posted:

Speaking as someone with 8 80s, every class does have a fun and distinct playstyle, and even within the classes different specs and weapon setups can be very different. It really is all about just finding the one you think is the most fun. Seriously the best advice is "mess around with everything and stick with what you like."

This cannot said enough, I had an 80 engie and have an 80 warrior now, the playstyles could not be anymore different, though I never felt very squishy, the engie has so much damage mitigation and escape buttons, thing is you need to access to a lot of your skills to get them, this is why I usually suggest new people do the starter zones first, all of them, its easy levels and easy skillpoints.

Now I'm working on my ranger and its nice to work a different playstyle as well work on pet management.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
The level experience is a pretty empty one now, too. While it's fun being the one who singlehandedly turns some zone from a mess into a shining beacon of humanity's fight against bad people, it was still fun back in the old days to have random people show up and participate in just about everything.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

Captain Backslap posted:

The level experience is a pretty empty one now, too. While it's fun being the one who singlehandedly turns some zone from a mess into a shining beacon of humanity's fight against bad people, it was still fun back in the old days to have random people show up and participate in just about everything.

If you want to see more people in leveling zones, guest on a mega server like Blackgate or JQ. I don't know why, but there always seem to be people around.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Or you could ask guildies to help.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

ApeHawk posted:

Or you could ask guildies to help.

Help with... ? Even SFD wouldn't be willing to run around in zones all day and surpising me by randomly showing up to events I'm participating in just to make it feel more populated and alive for me whenever I wanted it to. I'm guessing I wasn't clear in my post somehow.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
"Hi, I'm running around doing misc poo poo in <$ZONEs> today. Anyone want to join me?"

SFD: "Why the hell not!"

Trust me, I've done it before!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Captain Backslap posted:

Help with... ? Even SFD wouldn't be willing to run around in zones all day and surpising me by randomly showing up to events I'm participating in just to make it feel more populated and alive for me whenever I wanted it to. I'm guessing I wasn't clear in my post somehow.

Yeah you're not going to get the whole guild to help obviously, but almost everyone has alts and would gladly run around levelling zones with someone else. Just ask, worst than can happen is that no one is around who wants to do it.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Right. I'm sure. I do the same thing for other people.

I was making a statement of displeasure about the state of the game, in general sense, and not specific to my own experiences. As in: I bet it really isn't fun for a brand new player trying to do things on his own before he either ropes friends in to the game with him or stumbles on a guild or random person who doesn't vanish into thin air after they're done with whatever event it is they just finished. I hate that newbies won't get to see the game world as active as it was a year ago. There isn't a fix that I am looking for.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
I finally achieved optimal particles per minute on my backpiece. In celebration of this occasion, I have written off fractals completely.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Captain Backslap posted:

I was making a statement of displeasure about the state of the game, in general sense, and not specific to my own experiences. As in: I bet it really isn't fun for a brand new player trying to do things on his own before he either ropes friends in to the game with him or stumbles on a guild or random person who doesn't vanish into thin air after they're done with whatever event it is they just finished. I hate that newbies won't get to see the game world as active as it was a year ago. There isn't a fix that I am looking for.

It's really hard to get anyone to do early content after even a month after a game's release. They have definitely made an effort to help this, but in the end, you will have to rely on either yourself or a friend or at least someone who is forced to see your name all the time. We aren't being rude to you or anything, and it isn't the game's fault; it's just the mindset of the player community in any MMO. And hey, newbies can always join guilds, too!

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

Captain Backslap posted:

my guy, I'm in GOON, but anyone knows The Hungry Grump or wretched Duck or whatever will show up and yell mean words at you for an hour

I even have a horrible thief to boggle eye events with you

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

ApeHawk posted:

It's really hard to get anyone to do early content after even a month after a game's release. They have definitely made an effort to help this, but in the end, you will have to rely on either yourself or a friend or at least someone who is forced to see your name all the time. We aren't being rude to you or anything, and it isn't the game's fault; it's just the mindset of the player community in any MMO. And hey, newbies can always join guilds, too!

I feel like you believe I am disagreeing with you or something. I am not.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

ApeHawk posted:

Low level zones (though really just Queensdale) are probably the most populated places still, where you're actually likely to see a decent number of people running around. The rest of the zones are dead, with people only concentrated at LS content, popular champion trains, world bosses, and a handful of lucrative events.

I'd love to see numbers like how many player hours are spent in Queensdale versus Iron Marches on an average day.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

ApeHawk posted:

Every game does the same thing, 90% of the content is "leveling" zones that go to waste after the first few months. Yes GW2 does better than most, but a better solution would be to focus a lot less on leveling and a lot more on end game content. Specially on a game like this, you can have all the skills you want before you are finished with your second zone, there is no reason to have any more leveling zones after that.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Okay I take back what I said, mesmers are pretty fun. I can't decide between sword/pistol or sword/sword, though.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Those two weapon sets are great for high DPS builds. Sword/Pistol in one swap, Sword/Sword in the other. It makes good use of the Adept Trait in Dueling called Blade Training since three of your weapons are swords.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

Thumbtacks posted:

Okay I take back what I said, mesmers are pretty fun. I can't decide between sword/pistol or sword/sword, though.

Sword / sword is bees knees. Offhand sword gives you a block/daze on #4 and the highest dps phantasm on #5 - and remember that it (1) has a 1200 casting range untraited and (2) it leaps in and out of combat, so it's not aoe bait. Pistol isn't bad, but the stun/daze from #5 is on a longer timer than sword #4 and the dps from duelist is marginally less, in most fights.

fake edit: pistol also has no blocks, which is a huge drawback for really hard content like higher level fractals.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

malhavok posted:

Every game does the same thing, 90% of the content is "leveling" zones that go to waste after the first few months. Yes GW2 does better than most, but a better solution would be to focus a lot less on leveling and a lot more on end game content. Specially on a game like this, you can have all the skills you want before you are finished with your second zone, there is no reason to have any more leveling zones after that.

Yeah, GW2 has a about 50 wasted levels between 30 and 80. I honestly can't think of a single good reason leveling doesn't just stop at 30 and have all those zones be max level.

The most enjoyable open world experience by far in GW2 is crafting to 80 and then doing the personal story/events/map completion when you can just go wherever you want.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I'd like to see promoting exploration as a more rewarding feature as solution to filling up empty areas. It's not simply rewarding to slog through early area content when you get low level items as rewards. Map completion should give level scaled items and gear like boss chests do now or a gold prize for exploration to become more lucrative. Maybe even create a new stupid currency an account bound stat that better tracks your history with the game. Achievement points don't really cut it because you can't re-earn them through multiple 100% explorations and karma in its current form is nigh worthless. You currently get Gifts of Exploration from 100% world exploration to craft legendaries with, but that in itself is another goal entirely from just making a profit.

If it would be worth it, I think a lot of people would use their time leveling/exploring with their alts, filling the midlevel areas better. I hope the Living Story continues to change the world slowly for more permanent content, like what happened with Kessex Hills.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
A district system where people across all the servers pile into one map instance then filter their way down onto other instances or select which instance of a map they appear would surely this problem. I wonder which game did this simply elegant solution to empty maps...

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
Esports mode will solve your exploration and leveling blues.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

ApeHawk posted:

Imagine if GW2 had, I don't know, 20 levels instead of 80. We had the same starter zones but every other zone was a max level area. Is the game better or worse?

edit: I should have read to the bottom. Guild Wars had just as many regressive as progressive changes transitioning from GW1 to GW2.

daspope fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 29, 2013

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

That was fun, thanks guys. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Secret Sweater posted:

I finally achieved optimal particles per minute on my backpiece. In celebration of this occasion, I have written off fractals completely.

Deciding to quit doing fractals is quite satisfying and I recommend it highly.

• Locked thread