Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Frazier Campbell got an England cap in a season where he scored one (1) league goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

joshtothemaxx posted:

Wes Brown is a world-class defender

not sure about this

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
tbh, England are not getting through the group no matter who they play

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

oliwan posted:

Remind me how many world cups Holland have won?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pissflaps posted:

Remind me how many world cups Holland have won?

Almost last world cup! When was England's last final again?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

oliwan posted:

Almost last world cup! When was England's last final again?

They don't run out, you've either won one or you haven't - and Holland never have lol. I do like the orange kits though.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
In modern World Cups(post 1967) England's best result is a fourth place meanwhile Holland has been to three finals.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jyrka posted:

In modern World Cups(post 1967) England's best result is a fourth place meanwhile Holland has been to three finals.

Three finals and not a single World Cup is epic fail on a grand scale.

Still, both have done better than you Baltic fuckers have managed.

IDK why you people are trying to derail this thread. Start one about minor footballing nations if thats what you want to talk about.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

Babby Thatcher posted:

how many caps would Jay Bothroyd have by now if he were American? it'd be at least 110

He'd be capped on an almost women's football type of level for sure. Donovan has an embarrassingly high number of caps as well iirc.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

jyrka posted:

England are really lovely. Pretty sure everyone would agree Holland are a bigger team.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

vaginal culture posted:

England are really lovely. Pretty sure everyone would agree Holland are a bigger team.

I don't think Cascadia Offical Soccer Team are going to be winning the world cup any time tom.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

oliwan posted:

Why are you so mentally ill about the Eredivisie

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Pissflaps posted:

IDK why you people are trying to derail this thread. Start one about minor footballing nations if thats what you want to talk about.

I thought there already was a thread about the English National Team.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Pissflaps posted:

Still, both have done better than you Baltic fuckers have managed.

oh em gee bee ess posted:

I don't think Cascadia Offical Soccer Team are going to be winning the world cup any time tom.

Fingers crossed for the Baltic - Cascadia final in 2014 then!

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
England only performs well when a major tournament is played on their own desert island. They are the perennial home team.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Talk about Jozy or don't post in this thread, thanks

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Jozy could utilize his skill set of appearing overtly petulant and falling down comically in a successful career as a panto villain.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Id like to see Jozy literally run off a pier and into the sea.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

I'd like to see Jozy attempt to do the olympic bobsleigh track.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
He'd take half a step and fall onto his big fat face

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd like Jozy to fold me into his gentle arms... and squeeze lightly so I'll know he'll always be there for me.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Reminder that in Euro 2012, the last big tournament, Holland were one of the favorites to win it all but somehow managed to get the grand total of 0 (zero) points in their group, getting beaten by Germany, Portugal and Denmark, despite their overhyped Eredivisie players. Laughing my rear end off. Definitely a big fail of a country. Why am I mentioning Holland? Just as a reminder that Josmer, although he hasn't managed to replicate that kind of form in England, scored the insane amount of 39 goals in that league, showcasing his huge potential to the world and earning him a 10 million pounds transfer to the biggest league in the world. I hope he spent his Christmas holidays surrounded by his loved ones, who cherish him in the good and the bad times, like us true Josmer believers.

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?
Which will happen first: Holland winning a World Cup or Jozy winning the ballon d'or?

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
jozy is gonna win the ballon d'snore

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
if jozy wins a ballon d'or i will wear blackface to work for the rest of my life and talk in southern slang no matter how many times i get beat up for it

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Hardfl1p posted:

if jozy wins a ballon d'or i will wear blackface to work for the rest of my life and talk in southern slang no matter how many times i get beat up for it

Me too. And I'll even move back to the (very poor) area where the only reason anyone hired me was to have a token white guy.

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!
You guys are really putting it all out there I commend your bravery

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

J Hume posted:

Which will happen first: Holland winning a World Cup or Jozy winning the ballon d'or?

I'm pretty sure Josmer would be on the shortlist for this year's Ballon D'Or if he had stayed in Holland, where he was averaging more than one goal per 2 matches and toying with defenses. I'm a fan of the guy and can't fault him for his decision, you can't be a big fish in a small pond forever which was obviously the case for Jozy in the Dutch league. Apparently he wasn't expecting the PL to be such a big step up in quality and difficulty, but I think you'll find he will more than live up to the lofty expectations perched atop his hefty shoulders. Will he ever win the Ballon D'Or? Possibly not, due to the politics and machinations involved in that award, but one day he'll give Messi and Ronaldo one hell of a fight.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mean Bean Machine posted:

I'm pretty sure Josmer would be on the shortlist for this year's Ballon D'Or if he had stayed in Holland, where he was averaging more than one goal per 2 matches and toying with defenses. I'm a fan of the guy and can't fault him for his decision, you can't be a big fish in a small pond forever which was obviously the case for Jozy in the Dutch league. Apparently he wasn't expecting the PL to be such a big step up in quality and difficulty, but I think you'll find he will more than live up to the lofty expectations perched atop his hefty shoulders. Will he ever win the Ballon D'Or? Possibly not, due to the politics and machinations involved in that award, but one day he'll give Messi and Ronaldo one hell of a fight.

Source your quotes.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

they will with Jozy up front

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
jozy altidore is athlete of the year

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Hardfl1p posted:

jozy is gonna win the ballon d'snore

More like the fall on d'floor lol

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

Our love will last forever

TRP Post Of The Tournament Winner World Cup 2014

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
Can't believe I said four goals

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
I read perhaps my favorite explanation for Jozy's goal scoring struggles:

"Jozy just has way too much composure upfront, he has this tendency to delay his shot and tends to take a touch too many upfront giving away chances."

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

tbf maybe that would be a good thing if the extra touch wasn't as terrible as all his other touches.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

trem_two posted:

"Jozy just has way too much composure upfront, he has this tendency to delay his shot and tends to take a touch too many upfront giving away chances."

Source that quote.

cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

trem_two posted:

Well Im afraid Jozy didnt score again today. He came on with about 20 minutes to play and picked up a harsh booking (albeit a fairly needless one on his behalf for getting too involved in some handbags, he's a passionate lad). Hopefully Poyet can strengthen the Sunderland squad and Jozy can push on and have a better second half to the season and improve on his goal tally.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Source that quote.

as always, Big Soccer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
From attitude to ability: jozy offers absolutely nothing. He is a fraud with a bad attitude.

• Locked thread