Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I got towed by three dudes in caged Miatas up GMR today at retard pace... That place magic. I'm so envious of you guys living here in Cali. The fork road mentioned in an easier post was cool but it seems like that's SuMo land since it's pretty tightly layered corners at lower (40-60) speeds. I ran a GoPro and may upload it when I get home.

It's like 8pm, thinking about just checking out now and heading home - only thing really stopping me is that I only brought a lightly smoked shield along with me. Shouldn't be too much of an issue but meh.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The azusa/san gabriel canyon part before fork road is comparable to angeles and I normally use it as warm up. Like you already found out, gmr is the fun part.

Glad you had fun on it. It's my favorite route here.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Angryboot posted:

The azusa/san gabriel canyon part before fork road is comparable to angeles and I normally use it as warm up. Like you already found out, gmr is the fun part.

Glad you had fun on it. It's my favorite route here.

Thank you, definitely the highlight road of the trip :D I'll be back soon. Fortunately the GSXR is fairly comfortable - just need a throttle lock next time. Tip of my thumb where I hold the throttle has been numb for two days hahaha

edit: Got home. Let's just say that leaving at night was an adventure - I had about a second and a half vision with my visor down, it was 40* or so, and my debit card had a held put on it because I was traveling so when I went to get gas in Blythe my card was declined and I had to flip poo poo at my bank to get it back on.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 19, 2013

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

So I got my orders and I am moving to the bay area next summer, I am excited as all hell! :woop:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Italian electrics update!

The O2 emulator on the Shiver is now dialled in and works beautifully, it's amazing how much smoother the bike is at low revs, meaning I can leave it in Sports mode all the time and still have the mad throttle response without it turning into a rocking horse in traffic.

Also, because 30 mph is now 3k rpm in third rather than 4krpm in 2nd, mpg for my commute has rocketed from <20 to >25, which is pretty cool.

However, this has meant that now I'm not revving the bike enough to charge it on the commute, meaning after I left it sitting at work for a couple of days I had to do the old Italian Bike Owner's Prayer - "For the love of God just loving start!" three times before coming home.

It did mean I got to come home in 1st almost all the way, which does sound lovely. Hopefully that's enough to start it tomorrow, because a loving biblical thunderstorm swung in not twenty minutes after I got home meaning charging it wasn't really an option.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That should be plenty of RPM to charge, unless the italians equipped that thing with a totally poo poo charging system. I'd check the charging system just in case...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

That should be plenty of RPM to charge, unless the italians equipped that thing with a totally poo poo charging system. I'd check the charging system just in case...

Why would you use the word "unless" there?

It'd probably be fine if I had a longer commute but it's only 15-20 minutes, keeping the battery charged in winter was difficult even when it was new.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Z3n posted:

That should be plenty of RPM to charge, unless the italians equipped that thing with a totally poo poo charging system.

Oh, you

For what it's worth mine was charging better at idle than at higher RPMs, which falls in accordance with the Inverse Law Of Italian Electronics Making Any loving Sense.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Why would you use the word "unless" there?

It'd probably be fine if I had a longer commute but it's only 15-20 minutes, keeping the battery charged in winter was difficult even when it was new.

That's super poo poo. 15 minutes of riding should be more than enough to charge the battery back to decent. Fuckin' A.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I gave up loving with that whole "ok I need to redline first all the way to work" thing and now I just make sure I have a battery tender quick disconnect on all my bikes. I just leave the charger plugged in all the time and if I think it'll get really cold or I won't be riding for a while I plug it in with no problem. Having a garage out of the elements is a blessing. I missed it so drat much when living in a townhouse.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I know all the Rideapart chat was last page, and this is going to sound ridiculous. But I sometimes wonder if my tearing apart of RideApart 21 video is the reason it doesn't get listed on the "Every episode of RideApart TV so far, in one place" page.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I hurt myself on my bike without crashing today. I got MY GIRLFRIEND to drop me off at work so I could pick up my ZX10, which I had left there due to crazy neighbour insanity. On the way home from work there is an amazing roundabout which is actually a circle (most in NZ aren't because traffic engineers here are halfwits) and is still on the original, perfectly smooth, never repaired asphalt.

http://goo.gl/maps/cVU6t

We were moving south along highbrook drive, turning right toward the motorway. Girly was in her corolla on the inside lane, so I decided to show off and take the outside lane as fast and leaned over as I could, as there wasn't any traffic. I got halfway around and my knee touched the ground. I've never, ever gotten a knee down before and I certainly wasn't intending to today as I was only wearing my kevlar jeans. The roundabout is slightly off-camber but I thought I had way more ground clearance to go and it was painful as gently caress. I now have a pretty decent sized bruise with carpet burn on top and having to budget for new riding pants.

~~my riding story~~

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I dragged a knee in Kevlar lined jeans for the first time too congrats on ur kill story lol

Also you will remember that roundabout forever.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I go through that roundabout every day coming home from work. I guess it's true that most assaults aren't by a stranger, but someone you see every day.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I've never had a reason to go out to that part of Auckland until now. :v:

I just got back from 3 weeks in South-East Asia. And after watching the locals traverse around on their motorcycles in what can be summed up as "organised chaos" ... I kinda rode like a dong when I got home. The traffic really is crazy over there.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Odette posted:

I've never had a reason to go out to that part of Auckland until now. :v:

I just got back from 3 weeks in South-East Asia. And after watching the locals traverse around on their motorcycles in what can be summed up as "organised chaos" ... I kinda rode like a dong when I got home. The traffic really is crazy over there.

That's where I learned to ride, so I'm pretty much permanently calibrated to "dong".

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

I hurt myself on my bike without crashing today. I got MY GIRLFRIEND to drop me off at work so I could pick up my ZX10, which I had left there due to crazy neighbour insanity. On the way home from work there is an amazing roundabout which is actually a circle (most in NZ aren't because traffic engineers here are halfwits) and is still on the original, perfectly smooth, never repaired asphalt.

http://goo.gl/maps/cVU6t

We were moving south along highbrook drive, turning right toward the motorway. Girly was in her corolla on the inside lane, so I decided to show off and take the outside lane as fast and leaned over as I could, as there wasn't any traffic. I got halfway around and my knee touched the ground. I've never, ever gotten a knee down before and I certainly wasn't intending to today as I was only wearing my kevlar jeans. The roundabout is slightly off-camber but I thought I had way more ground clearance to go and it was painful as gently caress. I now have a pretty decent sized bruise with carpet burn on top and having to budget for new riding pants.

~~my riding story~~

Fucker, my bike claimed my favorite pair of jeans while leaving work today.

I can't even find them for sale on ebay. FUUUUUCKKKKK

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Call up the company and tell em ya dongs growed and to give you a new pair because the seam split.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SaNChEzZ posted:

Call up the company and tell em ya dongs growed and to give you a new pair because the seam split.

Hahahahahaha. I buy all my poo poo from the second hand store - $30 for $200 jeans that lasted two years, I guess I can't bitch too hard.
But really, I have to have these fixed.

Single life + used clothes + ramen = lot of riding and bike parts. (I'm joking, but seriously...)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 21, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Off my clothesline:

:aaaaa:

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

I can top that.

Same story, same rip, commando, in the Midwest, in January. 30 mile ride back home in 28 degree weather was "fun".

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
That's when you stop and take off a sock

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

ThatCguy posted:

I can top that.

Same story, same rip, commando, in the Midwest, in January. 30 mile ride back home in 28 degree weather was "fun".

Hahahaha, holy gently caress. Nope, nope, nope.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Snowdens Secret posted:

That's when you stop and take off a sock

Haha

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

Off my clothesline:

:aaaaa:

I need them. Actually, I sent mine off to a jean repair company and have bids in on two different wash pairs on ebay. :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I didn't realise they were so hard to get. Thanks, Mum! I guess I have to try avoiding shredding them like every other piece of clothing I have because I'm a raggedy urchin.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

BlackMK4 posted:

I need them. Actually, I sent mine off to a jean repair company and have bids in on two different wash pairs on ebay. :v:

"Jean repair company"? What jeans are these that don't just warrant going to Macy's and picking out another pair?

(I love Levi's. I just remember a style and a width, and then pick a color. If I tear a pair, it gets relegated to grubbing-around-under-cars duty.)

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

$20 to make your house smell like 2-stroke

If you guys give me :10bux:, I'll rev my KDX in your living room for a couple minutes and do the same thing.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

My girlfriend's dad and I went for a Christmas ride. I rode his DRZ/KLX most of the time, first time on one and holy shitballs is that a fun loving bike. He let me ride his TR650 for a while too, and that's a whole different kind of bike. Street geometry, gearing, and only mildly off-road suspension. I think I could get used to it, but I was too nervous to wring it out. Pulls like a raped ape when you find the powerband.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Really hoping MY FIANCEE can get the time to come down to the local motorcycle show. She's been making noise about maybe getting her license, and if she doesn't she still wants to ride on the back of mine, so I gotta know what's reasonably comfortable for her so I can make plans for a new ride after the wedding.

For me alone, the Weestrom would be just fine for the rest of myits life. But with her along, I did the math, and my car actually beats my bike for power-to-weight. The car is admittedly mental, but not insane - Gen2 Mazdaspeed3 (god I love the turbo) - but this must not stand. The bike must be more mental than the car, else what's an 'eaven for? So I'm hoping to bridge to something with a hair more HP in roughly the same form factor - whether it's a big ugly Vstrom, or a Versys 1000, or my folks neighbors Yamaha Whateveritis, or a Trumpy Tiger-800 or larger, or for beauty's sake a Stelvio. Or sit her on one of the new Hondas or Kawis or whatnot and I keep the Wee.

Or, best outcome, I land my mitts on a ZRX, replace/rebuild the shocks, slap some hardbags on it, and I get the dream bike of my riding youth.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Do the last one. Passengers are barely noticeable, believe me.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
poo poo, man. The last time I sat on a ZRX it was not even a custom seat. It was the stock seat and it was like a couch for my junk. Do not tempt me, dogg.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The stock seat is like a pillow and my girlfriend thinks it's the best bike in the world for this reason, and that I'm an idiot for having gotten rid of it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah just buy the ZRX and enjoy a nice comfortable rocket sled.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
I am about to get my bike license in a month and looking at all the new stuff that I can gently caress up like buying a second hand bike (hyosung GV 250 looks nice) and all the gear needed combined with budgeting all this poo poo is about to give me a panic attack.

But all that poo poo disappeared for a while when I was training on the lovely 150 cc Chinese bike that they use for the riding exam. Riding a bike seems almost therapeutic.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
There's something calming about dropping all of your stresses and focusing on the just bike and the road.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
I was cleaning up my office this morning and ran across something...

Hard to believe that was 5 years ago now.

Anyone know where the little porker is?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My mate recently moved to an apartment type of thing in a light industrial/business sort of area and I went to see him yesterday for the first time. He campaigns a race bike and decided to help me set my bike up properly. Turns out my front preload was backed off way too far and I had turned up the compression damping to compensate. The bike rides way, way better now. Much, much more stable under braking and over bumps, and easier to turn in too.

After this dicking around he decided to stick on his tyre warmers and have me follow him in a little loop around the block, which included a very long continuous sweeping corner because urban planners in NZ are pimps. The area was completely dead because of the holidays, I literally saw one car over the course of several hours being there. His bike is an ancient ZXR400 with pretty trick suspension and a 450 engine.

Despite him having slicks and a much better rider on board, I was able to keep up in the corners easily. He wasn't pushing 10/10ths, but it felt like I could potentially go faster too. He said he was somewhat disappointed that many thousands of dollars of suspension couldn't make up twenty years' worth of technological advancement and thought that I wouldn't be able to stay with him at all in the corners (his assessment of my riding ability was probably a little pessimistic too). I for one feel far more confident in my own ability now and have every intention of hitting track days in 2014.

Also the power difference was absolutely hilarious, I had to ask him if he was WOT at all because I kept having to back off to avoid hitting him...at 2/3rd's throttle

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 31, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tindjin posted:

I was cleaning up my office this morning and ran across something...

Hard to believe that was 5 years ago now.

Anyone know where the little porker is?

One of motomind's buddies has a one piece with a pig relay patch on it, bought from another goon. I think the pig went back to whatshisface that started it?

Slavvy posted:

My mate recently moved to an apartment type of thing in a light industrial/business sort of area and I went to see him yesterday for the first time. He campaigns a race bike and decided to help me set my bike up properly. Turns out my front preload was backed off way too far and I had turned up the compression damping to compensate. The bike rides way, way better now. Much, much more stable under braking and over bumps, and easier to turn in too.

After this dicking around he decided to stick on his tyre warmers and have me follow him in a little loop around the block, which included a very long continuous sweeping corner because urban planners in NZ are pimps. The area was completely dead because of the holidays, I literally saw one car over the course of several hours being there. His bike is an ancient ZXR400 with pretty trick suspension and a 450 engine.

Despite him having slicks and a much better rider on board, I was able to keep up in the corners easily. He wasn't pushing 10/10ths, but it felt like I could potentially go faster too. He said he was somewhat disappointed that many thousands of dollars of suspension couldn't make up twenty years' worth of technological advancement and thought that I wouldn't be able to stay with him at all in the corners (his assessment of my riding ability was probably a little pessimistic too). I for one feel far more confident in my own ability now and have every intention of hitting track days in 2014.

Also the power difference was absolutely hilarious, I had to ask him if he was WOT at all because I kept having to back off to avoid hitting him...at 2/3rd's throttle

On the street, power rules all, the straights are too long and the corners too short to make cornerspeed all that big a deal. Plus, to really haul rear end away from someone you have to get really stupid, because track lean angles are insane compared to what you'll run on the street. Also, tire warmers for street use? Totally useless. Not going to maintain enough side loads or throttle/brake without getting really stupid, to keep temps up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah he said it was constantly trying to slide on him because there was no way of keeping the tyres hot. I don't see how horsepower is a factor in corners though, if I were trying to race him I would just have blasted past on a straight and gently caress the corners.