Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
In the mines you would have to crush them with those pushable blocks, In the jungle there are the man eating plants, Caves you can just throw them into the abyss, temple has lava and those thwomp thingies. Worm might be hard, but you could probably telefrag in the regrow able areas. Hell has lava. Aside from that, the whole point of the challenge is to destroy the bodies as fast as possible. That means yes, Kali is an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Don't forget the option of the boulder-trapped idol in the mines for damsel destruction.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Zebrin posted:

In the mines you would have to crush them with those pushable blocks, In the jungle there are the man eating plants, Caves you can just throw them into the abyss, temple has lava and those thwomp thingies. Worm might be hard, but you could probably telefrag in the regrow able areas. Hell has lava. Aside from that, the whole point of the challenge is to destroy the bodies as fast as possible. That means yes, Kali is an option.

I don't think the worm is a problem since you need a *sel to even get in.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Worm would be easy, the crysknife seems to gib things.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Tuxedo Ted posted:

If you want a picture of your future in Spelunky, imagine a burly abominable snowman hurling you against a wall - forever.

That would actually make quite the avatar.

Spelunky is a great game would make a fine caption for it, too.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Shei-kun posted:

I took a stab at it; I'm not remotely an expert at making avatars but this fits under the filesize limits (by chopping the number of colors down to 16).

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I took a stab at it; I'm not remotely an expert at making avatars but this fits under the filesize limits (by chopping the number of colors down to 16).

Beautiful :allears:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Welp I was beaten

still posting since mine has the text

The Fat Swordsman
Feb 13, 2012

Shei-kun posted:

How about Rube Goldberg hates you, and everything you stand for. instead? Referencing other avatars is all the rage, I hear.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Yeah, I'm tempted to get it, but if I just go with my first thought for a caption, it'd never be as funny.

Lutukor
Mar 16, 2010
In case you've never been to the temple, this is basically what you should expect on every screen of every level from that point on, starting with the entrance of 4-1.

Thanks game.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Shei-kun posted:

What are the avatar requirements, 50kb?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

uPen posted:

What are the avatar requirements, 50kb?

30kb, 125x125 max size.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
30k. You know, because it's literally 2004.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Genocyber posted:

30kb, 125x125 max size.

Gross.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Lutukor posted:

In case you've never been to the temple, this is basically what you should expect on every screen of every level from that point on, starting with the entrance of 4-1.

Thanks game.

You should be able to bomb through the thwomp, right? Or are you saving up bombs for a hell run?

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Kaubocks posted:

They don't actually do any damage.

Why do you think I said 'attack enemies with' instead of 'kill enemies with?' :getin:

Or do they not even cause stun?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The thread in games is a goldmine for gifs pretty much all the time. :allears:

I finally managed to unlock all characters except yang today, hell still eludes me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I haven't played this game much as yet (have 39 deaths so far, more if it doesn't count when I suicide through the menu) but I was on a roll tonight and made it to the Temple once and the Caves three or four other times. Every time I made it to the caves I had a cape, jetpack, shotgun, or some combination of the three except the time I made it to the Temple. I had Climbing Gloves and no bombs, and the only way to go was through a mummy I apparently was incapable of killing without better weaponry. :smith:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
You really should at least have spike shoes by that point. If not and you're out of bombs etc... you sort of mismanaged your resources then.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

liquidypoo posted:

Why do you think I said 'attack enemies with' instead of 'kill enemies with?' :getin:

Or do they not even cause stun?

They don't affect enemies at all! :buddy:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

You really should at least have spike shoes by that point. If not and you're out of bombs etc... you sort of mismanaged your resources then.

There weren't any shoes to be had. I did squander a few bombs but there was never much chance to replace them.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Kaubocks posted:

They don't affect enemies at all! :buddy:

That's not quite right. They distord them by a few pixels. And they startle hanging spiders.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.

FrickenMoron posted:

The thread in games is a goldmine for gifs pretty much all the time. :allears:
I really should put these death pictures on the OP, stuff like this is magical. I'll get on that once I get home.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Oh man, I love handball!

Lutukor
Mar 16, 2010

I want this to be my avatar. Rube Goldberg wants you dead.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Some more favorites from the thread. Sometimes Spelunky just wants you D E A D.

I also used something like this to kill myself today because I hosed up getting to the black market.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

While we're posting GIFs, sometimes the game does weird things. (I think this is a random glitch with the Pitcher's Mitt)

full video here

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 4, 2014

Kinghorn
May 2, 2006

Seldom do dead men return to haunt the living in such style.

Color Printer posted:

While we're posting GIFs, sometimes the game does weird things. (I think this is a random glitch with the Pitcher's Mitt)

full video here

The mitt strikes again, it causes some of the best bugs.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

Color Printer posted:

(I think this is a random glitch with the Pitcher's Mitt)

Nonsense! This is just a rare occurrence of the Pitcher's Mutt!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

VladTheEater posted:

Jesus CHRIST.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

VladTheEater posted:

You're the worst person in the whole world.

snarfoogle
Oct 12, 2009
Apparently the purple pirate lady can spawn in the mines too:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/snarfoogle/screenshot/469798213461995047

I lost my save cause I assumed it was on the Steamcloud so now I get to unlock all the characters and shortcuts again! :toot:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Hey, I got one. Stop me if you've heard this before:

I built these for a REASON, dammit!: use each shortcut to defeat Olmec.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I built these for a REASON, dammit!: use each shortcut to defeat Olmec.

Ooh, interesting. Which is the hardest? Temple obviously is the most dangerous, but you don't have much game to play through to get to Olmec. Ice Caves are tricky without mobility gear, but some careful play and your starting 4 ropes should get you through. Jungle starts you up against nasty monsters, but you have plenty of time and the occasional shop to help you out (though you'd probably have to rob the shop).

My guess is the Ice Caves start is the worst.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Ooh, interesting. Which is the hardest? Temple obviously is the most dangerous, but you don't have much game to play through to get to Olmec. Ice Caves are tricky without mobility gear, but some careful play and your starting 4 ropes should get you through. Jungle starts you up against nasty monsters, but you have plenty of time and the occasional shop to help you out (though you'd probably have to rob the shop).

I've died hundreds of times and have beaten Olmec exactly once. That one run started at the temple.

Turos Kensei
Dec 13, 2009

VladTheEater posted:

Well done Vlad! You make me proud! Ignore the haters!

Lutukor
Mar 16, 2010

Ice caves start is pretty bad. Temple always scares me whenever I play the game normally, but I can beat Olmec from the temple pretty easily. It's just that there are so many drat things that kill you in one hit in the temple it's ridiculous.

Jungle start isn't great either. I consider the jungle area pretty much just a checkpoint that holds the black market inside it. Crates and damsels are commonly tucked behind walls you have to bomb to get into, and the jungle is the part of the game where random shops become less common.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

The first time I made it to the jungle, I made the mistake of looking at the level the game spawned instead of running immediately, was jumped by a frog, knocked off a cliff, and into a trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

Turos Kensei posted:

Well done Vlad! You make me proud! Ignore the haters!

I was wondering when you would say something Punsmith.

• Locked thread