Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Spazzle posted:

Morgellons is clearly a mental illness, but I don't see how calling CFS a potential mental illness is the height of kookery.

Because sufferers refuse the treatments and insist that its some mysterious unknown illness, and tie it to chemtrails and other conspiracy stuff.
But its the sad reality of a lot conspiracy thinking, many people who live lives paranoid about this stuff are actually suffering from mental illness and they won't seek help people they don't want to be "crazy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Many times CFS is caused by a prolonged viral infection

EDIT: Often times delusionary parasitosis is a symptom of a larger pathology, either formication (the physical sensation that insects are crawling on you which can be caused by diabetes, certain types of cancer, TB, and B12 deficiency) or schizophrenia.

Sergg fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 6, 2014

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Because sufferers refuse the treatments and insist that its some mysterious unknown illness, and tie it to chemtrails and other conspiracy stuff.
But its the sad reality of a lot conspiracy thinking, many people who live lives paranoid about this stuff are actually suffering from mental illness and they won't seek help people they don't want to be "crazy".

Right, and my uneducated guess is that cfs is a more socially acceptable way to seek medical treatment then under the label of depression. Symptoms of various mental illnesses have been seen to be culturally determined, cfs could be the same. It doesn't mean you aren't ill or aren't having symptoms.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Sergg posted:

Many times CFS is caused by a prolonged viral infection

The cfs community has latched on to various viral hypothesis (see xmrv), but these don't hold up under double blind experimentation.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
So for the guy complaining about the lack of alien conspiracies, my facebook conspiracy friend has been posting this stuff recently:

It is pretty benign stuff, but holy crap this dude believes in basically every conspiracy theory out there. This was a while ago but he even posted some link to an article about how the earth was hollow and there were giant holes in the earth that proved it that the government were keeping secret.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Sergg posted:

That sounds like schizophrenia or some other schizoid disorder.

"Insects under the skin" is very very much a reccuring theme with schizoid delusions. Ask any tweaker.

My brother when he went off the rails from meth, was obsessed that there was strings and worms and spiders and poo poo coming out of his skin .He'd gouge at himself with a knife and then walk into the loungeroom (he was loving torturing my parents by being like this whilst living with them) with a piece of cotton angrily yelling that " SEE I TOLD YOU THIS WAS FROM MY SKIN, THERE ARE WORMS IN THERE FOR gently caress SAKE".

Needless to say this poo poo almost sent my traumatized mother into a form of crazy of her own :(

edit: This went on until he pulled the same poo poo with a scalpel in a doctors office and they finally decided to restrain him and put him in involentary mental commitment, for like, 4 months till they got him off the speed and unwound some of the crazy out of his head. Kids, don't do meth. Weed, acid, loving glue sniffing if your an insane person, but not loving meth.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 6, 2014

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Spazzle posted:

The cfs community has latched on to various viral hypothesis (see xmrv), but these don't hold up under double blind experimentation.

Really? I was under the impression that prolonged infection by the Epstein-Barr virus could cause this.

duck monster posted:

"Insects under the skin" is very very much a reccuring theme with schizoid delusions. Ask any tweaker.

My brother when he went off the rails from meth, was obsessed that there was strings and worms and spiders and poo poo coming out of his skin .He'd gouge at himself with a knife and then walk into the loungeroom (he was loving torturing my parents by being like this whilst living with them) with a piece of cotton angrily yelling that " SEE I TOLD YOU THIS WAS FROM MY SKIN, THERE ARE WORMS IN THERE FOR gently caress SAKE".

Needless to say this poo poo almost sent my traumatized mother into a form of crazy of her own :(

edit: This went on until he pulled the same poo poo with a scalpel in a doctors office and they finally decided to restrain him and put him in involentary mental commitment, for like, 4 months till they got him off the speed and unwound some of the crazy out of his head. Kids, don't do meth. Weed, acid, loving glue sniffing if your an insane person, but not loving meth.

I'm glad he got treatment. Thank heavens for that doctor appointment. Don't you live in Australia? Is long-term, in-patient drug treatment covered by your guys' national health plan?

Sergg fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 6, 2014

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Sergg posted:

Really? I was under the impression that prolonged infection by the Epstein-Barr virus could cause this.

I'm glad he got treatment. Thank heavens for that doctor appointment. Don't you live in Australia? Is long-term, in-patient drug treatment covered by your guys' national health plan?

Yeah, though the mental health system is woefully underfunded thanks to loving conservatives.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

duck monster posted:

Yeah, though the mental health system is woefully underfunded thanks to loving conservatives.

I make a joke about how conservatives are against mental health because if people did get treatment there would be no more conservatives. Obviously that is meant to be a joke, but when I listen to some of the stuff that comes out of the Tea Party and Fox news I can't help but think they could use some medication.

Hollow Earth is pretty good, but flat earth is better, because all the evidence says that only a very small group of people believed it, and history books have massively inflated its numbers. Flat Earth Society have around 1000 members and run out of a persons home with a website and a mailing list and thats about it. One of their bits of evidence is simply that the UN flag shows the earth as it truely is; a flat plane with ice all around it.

Larry_Mullet
Sep 8, 2012
I truly believe that the CIA traffics drugs like cocaine into America in order to fund black ops.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Hollow Earth is pretty good, but flat earth is better, because all the evidence says that only a very small group of people believed it, and history books have massively inflated its numbers. Flat Earth Society have around 1000 members and run out of a persons home with a website and a mailing list and thats about it. One of their bits of evidence is simply that the UN flag shows the earth as it truely is; a flat plane with ice all around it.

On the flat earth society forums there's a running debate/joke on how to explain penguins, because some of the members think that antarctica is the 'edge' of the ice that surrounds the earth, and apparently that means that the penguins can't be there naturally.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Larry_Mullet posted:

I truly believe that the CIA traffics drugs like cocaine into America in order to fund black ops.

Well yeah that one did happen. But humans were totally able to do Stone Henge and the Pyramids. It's amazing what humans can do with a work force willing to work themselves to death for their God King and no distractions.

KomradeX fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 6, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

A human heart posted:

On the flat earth society forums there's a running debate/joke on how to explain penguins, because some of the members think that antarctica is the 'edge' of the ice that surrounds the earth, and apparently that means that the penguins can't be there naturally.

The Illuminati put them there obviously.

Speaking of Antarctica, there are people who spend a lot of time looking on google earth for entrances to the hollow earth there, and you can find pages were people show a hole in the ground and claim, yes that's one. Also, people seem to think Lovecraft's "at the mountains of madness" was real, and look for the Elder Thing's city down there, not to mention the pre-Von Dannikan ancient aliens crowd was spawned by people who thought that as well. If You can find it, Morning of the Magicians has a lot of similarities to Lovecraft stuff, just without the unknowable horrors in the dark and forbidden knowlage that drives men mad, but kept the Gods from beyond the stars messing with humanity part. It's a pretty amusing read because the author knew almost dick all about ancient civilizations and just assumed that if they weren't from Europe, they were little more than savages so of course they couldn't have piled rocks on top of each other to make Pyramids.

That's actually something about Ancient Aliens that always gets me, that everyone who aliens influenced are always non-white. I haven't watched every episode and read every book, but they do seem to focus on African, Middle Eastern, Asian and South American peoples rather than Europeans. There's some weird rear end poo poo throughout Europe that could easily be seen as Alien, but nope, white people are smart.

Larry_Mullet posted:

That and they helped drug dealing Dictators maintain control of their countries because they stood up to Communism. Or overthrew countries who didn't tow the US line. When Hugo Chavez came to power right wingers were directly pointing to that as proof that keeping horrible right wing drug dealing dictators in power was a good idea, because how dare he nationalize the oil fields! That oil belongs to the USA! Goverments do lovely, awful, horrible things, but that doesn't prove chemtrails, alien visitations, flatwoods monster or big foot.

made of bees
May 21, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

That's actually something about Ancient Aliens that always gets me, that everyone who aliens influenced are always non-white. I haven't watched every episode and read every book, but they do seem to focus on African, Middle Eastern, Asian and South American peoples rather than Europeans. There's some weird rear end poo poo throughout Europe that could easily be seen as Alien, but nope, white people are smart.

This is almost always true, and there's often a suspicious similarity between Ancient Alien theories and displaced Egyptians/Israelites/"Aryans" theories, but I'm pretty sure there's people who think Stonehenge was built by aliens.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

God drat it. It's been mentioned in this thread before, but people who've worked in positions of authority making these claims are a big part of why the conspiracy crowd just won't let go; ex-pilots and government administrators carry a lot more weight than the guy with the crazy hair on History Channel.

I suppose it's better than our nation making international news over crack, at least.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

twistedmentat posted:

"Whiteness" is pretty flexible, but Stonehenge would be an obvious counter-example. I'm not disagreeing with the overarching thesis. Moderns think that pre-moderns were dumb mud-people and couldn't have built those structures, therefore aliens. But it extends to white people as well. Nazis spent a lot of time dealing with the obvious deficiencies of Northern Europe vs. Southern Europe. It's an old discussion with many arms. Like an octopus. An octopus wrapping itself around all of history with its many arms.

If you know what I mean.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Shbobdb posted:

"Whiteness" is pretty flexible, but Stonehenge would be an obvious counter-example. I'm not disagreeing with the overarching thesis. Moderns think that pre-moderns were dumb mud-people and couldn't have built those structures, therefore aliens. But it extends to white people as well. Nazis spent a lot of time dealing with the obvious deficiencies of Northern Europe vs. Southern Europe. It's an old discussion with many arms. Like an octopus. An octopus wrapping itself around all of history with its many arms.

If you know what I mean.

The major reason it seems like they talk about "non white" cultures more is because the line of reasoning is lumping "White" and then "non white" into just 2 groups. If you're only seeing those 2 groups of course you're going to see non whites mentioned more, theres way, way more of them.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Sure, totally. That said, conspiracy theories are fascist by nature. So I expect them to be racist as gently caress. Every once in a while there is a benefit of the doubt, but those exceptions prove the rule.

Real racists don't think the Celts were white.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Obamacare has proven to be rich vein of crazy for the tapping

http://guardianlv.com/2013/12/walmart-installs-obamacare-rfid-chip-scanning-health-machines/

Apparently walmart is installing some sort of self serve health service device that can do blood pressure readings and a few things like that.

In come the crazies however, decide that it CLEARLY must have some sort of RFID device (it doesnt) and therefore tis something to do with that "compulsary RFID implant" that is cunningly disguised as a dropped provision in obamacare establishing a health and safety registrar of pacemaker products.

All of which was fortold by jesus

Or does it use retina scans instead? The article can't seem to make its mind up!

Either way its all to gather data for "precrime assessments" apparently..

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

duck monster posted:

Apparently walmart is installing some sort of self serve health service device that can do blood pressure readings and a few things like that.

We've had those in the US for years. I remember tricking my friends into getting their arms stuck in them when I was a kid. They're in most pharmacy sections of supermarkets.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
You know, I actually think I've seen fewer of them recently than when I was a child.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Also, people seem to think Lovecraft's "at the mountains of madness" was real, and look for the Elder Thing's city down there, not to mention the pre-Von Dannikan ancient aliens crowd was spawned by people who thought that as well. If You can find it, Morning of the Magicians has a lot of similarities to Lovecraft stuff, just without the unknowable horrors in the dark and forbidden knowlage that drives men mad, but kept the Gods from beyond the stars messing with humanity part.
That's a pretty cool paranoid delusion to have. I think if I were going to go full crackpot, Lovecraft would be the way to go. Then when people say I'm crazy I can say "Of course! I have seen the unknowable!" and then start gibbering.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Internet Webguy posted:

We've had those in the US for years. I remember tricking my friends into getting their arms stuck in them when I was a kid. They're in most pharmacy sections of supermarkets.

You've accepted the mark of the beast. Its too late for you now.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Shbobdb posted:

I know racist's actual definition of "white" has more to do with groups who come form former fascist empires then anything actually resembling a coherent definition. But good god how do you possibly get whiter then an Indo-European speaking group of pasty skinned people from northern Europe.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Vorpal Cat posted:

I know racist's actual definition of "white" has more to do with groups who come form former fascist empires then anything actually resembling a coherent definition. But good god how do you possibly get whiter then an Indo-European speaking group of pasty skinned people from northern Europe.

It is part of the Irish-Iberian phenotype. It's actually skull-type III, so it can be peacefully integrated into the 1000 year empire, provided it respect its place.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Vorpal Cat posted:

Different whites that didn't come from the real whites.

Huttan
May 15, 2013

Shbobdb posted:

The main reason that Irish weren't considered "white" until the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th Centuries had a lot to do with anti-Catholicism and in part to a reaction against the large wave of immigrants. Once some new herd of foreigners started swarming through Ellis Island, the hatred moved to a new target.

Most of the anti-Catholic sentiments either vanished or ran deeper underground after JFK was elected. You'll still see some in the hard-core fundies when they're complaining that Catholics aren't real Christians, or that the Pope is the whore of babylon because The Beast has 7 heads which are seven hills (and Rome has seven hills). Revelations chapter 17, in particular verses 9 and 18.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Revelation%2017&version=KJV

My ex used to claim that the Irish had black blood in them because they had rhythm and could dance. But then she'd say something like that if any "white" person could dance. Probably her most common gripe about me was "you white people really don't have any rhythm!" :catstare:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

The Popagator!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A couple of years ago I was talking to someone at work about religion (bad idea) and they mentioned that they were Pentacostal and "did not believe" in Catholicism.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Sorry if this has been posted before, but my aunt just posted this on her Facebook wall and it's too good to let go. It's a video about how Beyonce and Jay-Z are secretly in league with the Illuminati, and thus are also in league with the Prince of Darkness himself, Lucifer.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=539459799432356

The comments are especially ridiculous.

edit:

This video has also just created a really awesome sounding storyline for a Vampire: The Masquerade campaign.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 9, 2014

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Shbobdb posted:

To be honest, the greatest correlation seems to be between "culture left no records of how or why they built X (or at least none we can understand)" and "X was built by aliens".

Egypt's the exception, but it's sort of a strange case (and we knew of Egypt's monuments long before we figured out how to decipher their writing, for that matter).

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
I havn't read all the pages, but in the first few pages I saw JFK stuff being thrown around with 9/11 and Lizard people poo poo.

And I just wanna be clear, ya'll don't think Lee Harvey Oswald was the lone-shooter right? The JFK conspiracy is the conspiracy between people (cubans, FBI, Generals) conspiring to kill a president, and having a dumb patsy as the fall guy.

I don't know much about the 9/11 thing, but the JFK thing is well established to be a legitimate conspiracy, in the proper context of the word.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Morphix posted:

I havn't read all the pages, but in the first few pages I saw JFK stuff being thrown around with 9/11 and Lizard people poo poo.

And I just wanna be clear, ya'll don't think Lee Harvey Oswald was the lone-shooter right? The JFK conspiracy is the conspiracy between people (cubans, FBI, Generals) conspiring to kill a president, and having a dumb patsy as the fall guy.

I don't know much about the 9/11 thing, but the JFK thing is well established to be a legitimate conspiracy, in the proper context of the word.

Haha look at this. Why, because it's so tough to make that shot?

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Morphix posted:

Literally totally 100% false. The ballistics don't even line up with the grassy knoll theory.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Morphix posted:

You really should, because the thread spends quite a bit of time discussing this very thing.

Hell, I'm feeling generous, I'll even quote the most relevant posts:

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

It took almost ten months. Had the guy in that car been Joe Blow and all the other circumstances been the same, it would have been a slam dunk investigation, wouldn't have taken a week.

It's been very well established that the bullet did nothing magical. Kennedy and Connally were sitting at different heights and Connally was turned far to the right. The bullet went in an incredibly straight trajectory given that it exited Kennedy tumbling, causing a keyhole entry on Connally, blew up a rib, and on and on. Numerous experiments have confirmed that the bullet's behavior was nothing special. Also, the "pristine" line is horseshit. The bullet was flattened lengthwise and it's core extruded out the back. If anything, it was damaged more than expected.

Unfortunately yes, you are. You are hardly unique though, that movie was a brilliant piece of craft. But even many conspiracy buffs thought that movie was bullshit. Stone had numerous theories to choose from and decided he'd take bits and pieces from the most batshit insane of them.

For those who believe in "evidence" and "logic" and "are sane", yes, it's settled. The conspiracy-minded will never find it settled. That's not what they do.

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/home.htm

I don't care what the claim is, I care if the evidence supports the claim. In this case, it doesn't. I don't have any trouble believing the U.S. government would do something lovely because it's done horrifying poo poo many times.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Thought I'd add a few bullet point answers to some common JFK issues.

*Oswald didn't have enough time to fire the shots.
Answer: If you go by the original timing arrived at by the early buffs, no, he probably didn't. Though it is physically possible to fire three times and reacquire and cycle twice in six seconds, it's pretty loving hard. But that timing was based on flawed interpretations of the Zapruder film. Newer timings give Oswald a minimum of eight seconds and probably more. The extra two+ seconds makes a huge difference.

*Oswald wasn't a good enough shot to pull it off.
Answer: Two issues here. First Oswald was good enough to pull it off. He scored very well in numerous Marine Corps shooting sessions. Buffs usually ignore those and point to some not so hot sessions he had not long before he defected to Russia. More to the point, the marksmanship required was rudimentary. Those shots were all extremely close and the head shot hit when he was only 265 feet away, not even 90 yards, and the car was moving at its slowest. At those distances, Oswald probably could have got hits on body-sized targets with just the iron sights, but he had a scope to help out as well. Just for a little fun, here's video of Jerry Miculek shooting a man-sized target with no scope from 200 yards. And it's a hand-gun. A snub-nosed hand gun. Which he holds upside down and fires with his pinky finger. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIwVK_FxGZk In fairness, Miculek is probably an alien, but the point is, shooting that motorcade from the sixth floor window was not some all time feat of marksmanship.

*The gun was a piece of poo poo that wasn't up to the task.
Answer: Yep, the gun is/was a piece of poo poo, no question. But Oswald didn't need a great or even good gun. He just needed a gun that would go off three (or five, that's how many rounds he had loaded) consecutive times and score hits well within its mechanical limits. Think of it this way. If I gave you the task of driving across town, you'd prefer to do it in a Mercedes. But the task isn't demanding, even a Yugo will do the job. That Mannlicher Carcano was the Yugo in this case.

*Kennedy's head moves backwards, against the direction of the bullet, how could that happen?
Answer: JFK's head actually does move forward at first having been hit from behind. But when the bullet exits, it blows out a huge amount of brain, skull, and fluid that then pushed the head backwards. The funny thing about this issue is that any experienced hunter will tell you that when you shoot living things, they'll loving move or fall in every direction imaginable.

Did Lee Harvey Oswald act alone? Of course he did
Is it possible, even probable that there were forces in play beyond just Lee Harvey Oswald's motivations to kill JFK? Yes
Granting the previous question, can we therefore jump straight to Cubans/FBI/CIA/Communists as being the ones really behind it? Nope!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
How do you explain these articles then?
November 22, 1963

Area Man Can Remember Exactly Where He Was, What He Was Doing

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Any thread on the discussion of conspiracy theories inevitably turns into a thread where conspiracy theorists try to justify why their conspiracy is the true conspiracy. It's great.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

gradenko_2000 posted:

You really should, because the thread spends quite a bit of time discussing this very thing.

Hell, I'm feeling generous, I'll even quote the most relevant posts:

Did Lee Harvey Oswald act alone? Of course he did
Is it possible, even probable that there were forces in play beyond just Lee Harvey Oswald's motivations to kill JFK? Yes
Granting the previous question, can we therefore jump straight to Cubans/FBI/CIA/Communists as being the ones really behind it? Nope!

Your move Morphix.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Morphix posted:

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
If the CIA wanted to kill JFK they would have been able to come up with a better story for their shooter, including waiting for him to die suddenly years after imprisonment, rather than at a prison transfer. Just saying.

• Locked thread