Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Error 404 posted:

Whereas, I think War Journal was great on one hand, but kinda seemed to take itself too seriously and descended into attempted GrimDarkness too much, like they wanted so badly to be Man on Fire, but got lost and ended up being Toxic Avenger with a budget.

War Zone had a pretty consistent tone, i think the problem was more with the first movie, it seems like they tried to make a serious movie, because of the story they based it on. But it just ended up with some cringe worthy scenes that i can only assume were unintentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Gentleman
Jul 5, 2008

"I am in the prime of my senility."

R-Type posted:

This is the reason why Arrow needs a Jeffery Combs Question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnB5KzD5_HE

Pretty much every scene with him was gold, but that one stands out. Especially since it comes right after the taxi interrogation, set to the same song.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
IO9 has made a list of the silliest trick arrows used in the comics, i would love to see the Fake Cat arrow on the show : http://io9.com/16-trick-arrows-that-make-green-arrows-boxing-glove-a-1493963093

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Oasx posted:

IO9 has made a list of the silliest trick arrows used in the comics, i would love to see the Fake Cat arrow on the show : http://io9.com/16-trick-arrows-that-make-green-arrows-boxing-glove-a-1493963093

No mention of the classic boxing glove arrow? I guess it's not quite weird enough, but I'd love to see the show go completely camp for an episode and use all the crazy tools in comic book Ollie's arsenal.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Cloks posted:

No mention of the classic boxing glove arrow? I guess it's not quite weird enough, but I'd love to see the show go completely camp for an episode and use all the crazy tools in comic book Ollie's arsenal.

I smell a dream episode!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cloks posted:

The idea behind the list is arrows sillier than the boxing glove.

They mention it in the intro paragraph.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Fake-Cat arrow takes the cake, but runner up? The Stickum-Shaft Arrow.

The article posted:

When I first saw Oliver had something called a "Stickum-Shaft Arrow," I worried that it was some kind of Silver Age, Native American racist caricature arrow. Nope! It's just a long, hard shaft he fires at his eventual lover Black Canary, which covers her in sticky goo. No problems there!
Yes, I'm immature. :gizz:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Aphrodite posted:

The idea behind the list is arrows sillier than the boxing glove.

They mention it in the intro paragraph.

Like I, an important businessman, have time to read anything other than the numbered entries on the list. Please.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

A Fancy Gentleman posted:

Pretty much every scene with him was gold, but that one stands out. Especially since it comes right after the taxi interrogation, set to the same song.

Ugh. I totally forgot about how amazing JLU Question was. I just fell into a YouTube hole looking up basically all of his clips.

This renews my hope and desire for a recurring Question, and knowing Arrow it's entirely possible.

A Fancy Gentleman
Jul 5, 2008

laplace posted:

Ugh. I totally forgot about how amazing JLU Question was. I just fell into a YouTube hole looking up basically all of his clips.

This renews my hope and desire for a recurring Question, and knowing Arrow it's entirely possible.

Yes, yes he was.

And yes, yes it is.

drat.. that would be.. so good.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I decided to marathon 4400 a couple months ago because "hey look! Sci-fi show I haven't watched yet!", and it was physically jarring every time Jeffery Combs was on screen just because of how synonymous his voice is to the Question in my head.

But yeah. He's getting a little up there to play Q on arrow, unless they want to use him as an aging Vic Sage to help introduce Renee Montoya to the crew. That would be kickin' rad, but it would never happen.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

AlternateNu posted:

I decided to marathon 4400 a couple months ago because "hey look! Sci-fi show I haven't watched yet!", and it was physically jarring every time Jeffery Combs was on screen just because of how synonymous his voice is to the Question in my head.

But yeah. He's getting a little up there to play Q on arrow, unless they want to use him as an aging Vic Sage to help introduce Renee Montoya to the crew. That would be kickin' rad, but it would never happen.

Aren't there any elderly gentleman villains they could get him to play?

A Fancy Gentleman
Jul 5, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

He would have made a pretty bitchin' Clock King.

Also, it really seems like they are setting up a JLU kinda Suicide Squad. I'm OK with that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The Lord Bude posted:

Maybe Shade?

A Fancy Gentleman
Jul 5, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Maybe Shade?

Also a good call.

If they use Shade, I will be holding my breath for a Jack Knight/Starman team-up.

A Fancy Gentleman fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 4, 2014

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

bobkatt013 posted:

Maybe Shade?

Gentleman Ghost. Complete with monocle and top hat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A Fancy Gentleman posted:

Also a good call.

If they use Shade, I will be holding my breath for a Jack Knight/Starman team-up.

Yeah, then Johns will find a way to insert his dead sister into another tv series.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stargirl is cool, I'm good with that.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I want the Atom to show up so they can eventually do an homage to this amazing Marvel team-up:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

McSpanky posted:

I want the Atom to show up so they can eventually do an homage to this amazing Marvel team-up:

The kinetic energy off of that as antman magicallyscientifically turns into a 3 ton giant man midflight must be absolutely brutal.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
You do know if they do bring in the Question in, they'll use it to bring back Huntress right?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

bunnyofdoom posted:

You do know if they do bring in the Question in, they'll use it to bring back Huntress right?

Okay, but cast Amy Acker instead.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Phylodox posted:

Okay, but cast Amy Acker instead.

Didn't you used to be another actress?
:glomp:
Stop asking so many questions.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

jscolon2.0 posted:

Didn't you used to be another actress?
:glomp:
Stop asking so many questions.
You can explain it away with magic. They did that in Big Bad Beetleborgs.

Or you know, plastic surgery. Or just never ever bring it up just because (since they already did with Sarah being recast).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Amy Acker is 37 now. She's way too old for the CW.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Amy Acker is 37 now. She's way too old for the CW.

She's also a regular on a network show already.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Has anyone else seen a viral ad for movie or show with super speed or teleportation? Started showing up on my Facebook feed, it's a Japanese traffic cam and some unknown guy prevents a person from being nailed by a truck at the last second. Some friends thought the flash TV show but I'm not sure how old it is.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

Has anyone else seen a viral ad for movie or show with super speed or teleportation? Started showing up on my Facebook feed, it's a Japanese traffic cam and some unknown guy prevents a person from being nailed by a truck at the last second. Some friends thought the flash TV show but I'm not sure how old it is.

Do you mean the one on this page: http://www.ufosightingsdaily.com/2012/09/alien-saves-mans-life-in-china-car.html (first google result I got for what you mentioned).

Camera dates it in 2012, whereas Arrow takes place in almost current time (so 2013 for Flash transformation). Would be cool though if it is a flash teaser.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
^^^^^^^^^^^
That video was viral marketing material used in China for an expansion pack to the MMO Jade Dynasty.

http://www.openminds.tv/teleporting-superhero-alien-or-video-game-character-848/17093

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok, I apologize for the outburst but I just have to get this off my chest.

(I love this show. I just marathoned Season 1 and finished the finale tonight. It started off OK, and just (mostly) got better as it went.)

However, I will forever know this show as "The show of faces."

Let's recap:

John Barrowman: 24/7 weird faces. No shock there.

Paul Blackthorne: Mister "I have cottonmouth and the lips of a Lamprey."

Katie Cassidy: I thought she was cute in the first couple eps but either something happened to the actress or my opinion changed, because whenever she cries (like multiple times every episode) she looks like that one Bad Guy God from Big Trouble in Little China right before his face expanded and blew up.

Stephen Amell: Everytime I turn away from anyone, I roll my eyes super hard like they are the biggest disappointment/joke on the planet.

Willa Holland: Hey, check out how long I can make the Myspace Duckface!

*whew*

Thank you, that is all.

(now to start Season 2!)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Feenix posted:

John Barrowman: 24/7 weird faces. No shock there.

:argh: ixnay on the Barrowman insults yo. The man is a goon god.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I have to agree on Katie Cassidy. I rewatched the pilot and she was fine. Sometime during the first season, her face changed or her make-up changed and she looks really different, different enough to bother me.

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009
Blackthorne always looks life he smelled something bad.
Manu Bennet lets his mouth hang open during some scenes. I think it's how he shows any emotion besides anger.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Chef Bromden posted:

Blackthorne always looks life he smelled something bad.
Manu Bennet lets his mouth hang open during some scenes. I think it's how he shows any emotion besides anger.

He showed a wide range of emotions in Spartacus. He then cut people's heads off.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

bobkatt013 posted:

He showed a wide range of emotions in Spartacus. He then cut people's heads off.

Yes. This is his happy face.

It's also his angry face.

It's also his sad face.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's the dialog they are using for screen testing Iris West for the Flash show. Apologies for the large black box:

quote:

Iris West: How many?

Barry Allen: Twelve. We'll catch this Trickster, whoever he is.

Iris West: That's really fantastic, Barry. You get on that. You catch him. Put him on trial. Put him in jail. Let him wake up every morning and eat breakfast and see the sun. Unlike that little girl he just slaughtered in the street.

Barry Allen: You're right. It's not fair. But it's what makes us not them.

Iris West: There's something else.

Barry Allen: What?

Iris West: I swear that I saw something…a flicker of light, a gust of wind, something that pulled one of the families out of the way of the debris. It was the way that you described it that night…and what you saw in your house…the way that your mother was killed.

Barry Allen: Iris, I was just a scared kid. I don't know what I saw.

Iris West: You told me a million times that what you saw was impossible. Today, I saw the impossible to. And for the first time I really believed you.

Also, showrunner Andrew Kriesberg on the backhalf of s2:

quote:

"We're coming back [from the holidays] with a bang," showrunner Andrew Kreisberg promises. As Arrow obsessively hunts the man in the skull mask, "We'll be seeing Slade and his machinations to bring about Oliver's downfall." As for the frenemy's end game, "Slade has a very specific goal in the back half of the season, and I think people will be surprised to discover both what it is and what it means to Oliver." The coming run will also bring back Amanda Waller, serve up another Diggle-centric episode and solve this Season 2 mystery: What up with Laurel?! "These next four episodes are a big Laurel chapter," says Kreisberg. "We'll see her drug use come back to bite her, and she hits rock bottom." In turn, "Katie Cassidy is delivering the most amazing performances" -- including in pre-island flashbacks from Miss Lance's POV. And what of the other lady in Ollie's life? In managing Felicity and Oliver's attraction, "We just do what we feel is right," Kreisberg says, "and up until this point we've been lucky that most of the audience has agreed with our choices…. Our lead has chemistry with multiple actresses. It's nothing we're going to be upset about."

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 6, 2014

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Bozza posted:

Given The Question is basically Steve Ditko ranting about Objectivism, I think it'd be an interesting character to introduce, perhaps as a catalyst to push this Ollie towards his more leftist stance.

You seriously need to read the O'Neil Question series.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

You seriously need to read the O'Neil Question series.

The Question was Ditko ranting about Objectivism but that changed with O'Neil. He is not that character anymore at all. Also he is nothing compared to MR A

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

bobkatt013 posted:

The Question was Ditko ranting about Objectivism but that changed with O'Neil. He is not that character anymore at all. Also he is nothing compared to MR A

Aw Jesus Christ, Ditko :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arrow thread needs a bump. How about some Stephen Amell doing what he does best. Making people laugh with his charisma. :swoon:
Amell on "Chelsea Lately."
He's gotta be setting some records for positive public interaction. Between running his Facebook page, the Nocking Point Wines page, and all the little things he does outside of work, I really don't want to be here when he finally burns out. :smith:

• Locked thread