Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

A Pale Horse posted:

So any of you draftniks who know Tedford, which QB would fit his system the best?

Probably Derek Carr of the top guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I'm gonna need to watch more of Gaines, Mitchell, and both Florida CBs soon, I think. Dennard's obviously a pipe dream unless his workouts are terrible. I like Gilbert a lot, with Ekpre-Olomu off the table he'd be my first choice if he's still projected to go late first come May. I really like how aggressive Verrett plays but I worry that he'll get pushed around by NFL receivers and is pretty much exclusively a slot guy in the NFL. I guess having Brock and Culliver as the outside corners and Verrett as the nickelback wouldn't be a huge setback, but I'd prefer a CB that could at least slide outside if necessary if somebody else gets hurt.

With two seconds and two thirds and like 18 billion underclassman WRs declaring this year, I think it's much safer for them to hold off on receivers until later.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

A Pale Horse posted:

So any of you draftniks who know Tedford, which QB would fit his system the best?

Tedford QBs, per Wikipedia:

Trent Dilfer
David Carr
Akili Smith
Joey Harrington
Kyle Boller
Aaron Rodgers
Billy Volek
A.J. Feeley

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Grozz Nuy posted:

With two seconds and two thirds and like 18 billion underclassman WRs declaring this year, I think it's much safer for them to hold off on receivers until later.

Pretty much exactly my thinking. There are just so many quality WRs this year, too, there's bound to be good players left in late second, mid third round. There's quite a few in next year's draft as well, some that I actually prefer to this year's crop (Dres Anderson, Dorial Green-Beckham).

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

Probably Derek Carr of the top guys.

That prospect does not excite me. :smith:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Coldforge posted:

Tedford QBs, per Wikipedia:

Trent Dilfer
David Carr
Akili Smith
Joey Harrington
Kyle Boller
Aaron Rodgers
Billy Volek
A.J. Feeley

I like those odds. 1/8 chance. But that one will be hall of fame worthy.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

A Pale Horse posted:

That prospect does not excite me. :smith:

I kind of wish Carr's last name wasn't Carr because he's a legitimately decent QB prospect. I don't think he'll end up as a first rounder though and is the most likely to free fall out of all of them.

Tedford does a pro style offense built around getting speedy guys the ball in space. Anyone mobile guys (not necessarily fast) who can throw on the run usually fit well into his system.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Doltos posted:

I kind of wish Carr's last name wasn't Carr because he's a legitimately decent QB prospect. I don't think he'll end up as a first rounder though and is the most likely to free fall out of all of them.

Tedford does a pro style offense built around getting speedy guys the ball in space. Anyone mobile guys (not necessarily fast) who can throw on the run usually fit well into his system.

Yeah maybe I'm biased because his brother was such a worthless sack of poo poo but the last name Carr fills me with feelings of dread, but I also looked at some of his game film and wasn't overly impressed either. I think 7 is way too early for him either way, but I guess we'll see what Tedford and Lovie think of Glennon and I have to trust they know what they're doing.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Derek Carr seems like the exact kind of guy you could draft and sit for a season while you let the Glennon experiment play out for another year to see if he takes a step forward. I don't know if you'd want to spend a first or even a second on that though, in comparison with something that could make your team better in the short-term.

If I were a Bucs fan I would be all-in on Watkins, personally. VJax is still great but he's 33 now, and for the two or three years where you've got them on the field together? drat.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Mike Williams just signed a 6/$40m contract extension this year to be the long-term #2.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

^^^^^Use Watkins as a slot guy, especially since apparently Tedford likes 3 and even 4 WR sets and we have no depth at the position. Hell when Mike went down, Tiquan Underwood and Chris Owusu split time as our #2 this year. :cripes:

Grozz Nuy posted:

Derek Carr seems like the exact kind of guy you could draft and sit for a season while you let the Glennon experiment play out for another year to see if he takes a step forward. I don't know if you'd want to spend a first or even a second on that though, in comparison with something that could make your team better in the short-term.

If I were a Bucs fan I would be all-in on Watkins, personally. VJax is still great but he's 33 now, and for the two or three years where you've got them on the field together? drat.

Yeah, I'm definitely coming around on Watkins, especially since everyone says Tedford likes speedy guys and while I love our #1 and #2 (to a lesser degree) receivers, speed is not their asset. Hell VJax got run down by a linebacker from like 20 yards away, it was embarrassing. Still, I think an edge rusher will also be a priority seeing as getting pressure off the line has been a major issue (outside McCoy) and while Gholston was coming on strong at the end of the year, its hard to trust a 2nd year 7th round pick to really develop into a confident and productive starter. Bowers can officially be declared a bust and Clayborn is not great either. An option some people have floated would be to reclaim Michael Bennett from Seattle who Schiano in his wisdom released and who is going to be an UFA after the year.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Ozu posted:

Mike Williams just signed a 6/$40m contract extension this year to be the long-term #2.

True, but he can stay in that role for a couple years while Watkins is dirt cheap. Then VJax walks or retires, Watkins slides to #1, and you're good. In the meantime, it's not like teams can't figure out how to get 3 good WRs on the field at the same time, and you have great depth in case people get hurt like Williams did this season.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I didn't see Carr's bowl game but from what I heard he didn't look good in it. Was it because of the competition or did Fresno just not have the man power to match up with USC? Playing poorly against good competition when he played sub par competition his whole career just kind of screams bust.

Where do you guys see Vic Beasley going? I wouldn't mind seeing him as a pass rusher in Tampa. IMO, pass rusher is by far the biggest need outside of QB.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

LiquidFriend posted:

Logan Thomas is destined to be making a position change back to Tight End.

Remember before last season when everyone said that he and Matt Barkley were gonna be battling to be the 1st pick?

wandler20 posted:

I didn't see Carr's bowl game but from what I heard he didn't look good in it. Was it because of the competition or did Fresno just not have the man power to match up with USC? Playing poorly against good competition when he played sub par competition his whole career just kind of screams bust.

He was on the run from pass rushers the entire game as Fresno's O-Line couldn't do anything against USC's. He also received very little help from his WRs as they dropped a lot of passes. I can't say he had a good game, but I think it was better than most people looking at highlights will see.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 7, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hundley received 2nd through 4th round grades from the advisory board. Mannion received third round grades. Both elected to stay in college for one more year.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Hundley received 2nd through 4th round grades from the advisory board. Mannion received third round grades. Both elected to stay in college for one more year.

I don't think going back is necessarily a bad idea for him, but I'm kind of shocked the advisory board rated Hundley so low.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Grozz Nuy posted:

I don't think going back is necessarily a bad idea for him, but I'm kind of shocked the advisory board rated Hundley so low.

Yeah, I thought he was looked at as a first rounder based on his raw talent. Like you said, probably best for him to go back. If he has a great season next year I could see him easily being a top 5 pick next year. I honestly would have been fine with Tampa taking him at 7 and having him sit behind Glennon for a while.

TBC
Jan 12, 2006

Glazers gonna Glaze

wandler20 posted:

Where do you guys see Vic Beasley going? I wouldn't mind seeing him as a pass rusher in Tampa. IMO, pass rusher is by far the biggest need outside of QB.

I think Tampa is snake bit when it comes to Clemson DEs at this point.

Guys I'd like Tampa to consider at 7 (safely assuming Clowney and Matthews are gone, of course): Watkins, Bortels, Mack, Manziel, Ebron.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I've decided the Bears need to trade up and get Clowney no matter the cost.

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx

Sataere posted:

I feel this way about Khalil Mack. I want a Wade Phillips or Ray Horton defense with Mack and McClellin as the OLBs.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

Sataere posted:

I've been having day dreams where there is a run on QBs and Clowney falls far enough that trading up becomes a feasibility. :allears:

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Grozz Nuy posted:

Advisory panel are going to be super conservative with their grades and Hundley is far from a finished prospect. I don't think the grade is that outlandish.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Sataere posted:

Sorry, he's falling to the Lions.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

DupaDupa posted:

I've been having day dreams where there is a run on QBs and Clowney falls far enough that trading up becomes a feasibility. :allears:

Phil Emery doesn't "do" conventional first round picks

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Look at that smile.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Ozu posted:

Look at that smile.

oops. wrong thread.

oh well sentiment stands

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Grozz Nuy posted:

I'm not, he had a bad stretch this year. I wasn't crazy about him coming out this year.

A Pale Horse posted:

^^^^^Use Watkins as a slot guy, especially since apparently Tedford likes 3 and even 4 WR sets and we have no depth at the position. Hell when Mike went down, Tiquan Underwood and Chris Owusu split time as our #2 this year. :cripes:

Something I'm surprised about is how teams with established #1s don't take top WR prospects. Look what it did for Atlanta.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
And Arizona!

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

defiantgiant posted:

I feel this way about Khalil Mack. I want a Wade Phillips or Ray Horton defense with Mack and McClellin as the OLBs.

You want the Bears to convert? Interesting.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

Grozz Nuy posted:

I think most Bears fans want the defense to change schemes right now.

Edit:

Doltos posted:

Something I'm surprised about is how teams with established #1s don't take top WR prospects. Look what it did for Atlanta.

And Chicago.

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

Grozz Nuy posted:

It's one way to fix their D. I'd also be OK with switching to a 4-3 variant like Seattle's or Oakland's, one that uses a bigger left DE and a rush linebacker. I just think they need bigger bodies up front to stop the run, and it's probably easier to manufacture pressure with LB blitzes than it is to find another great pass-rushing DE.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Emanuel Collective posted:

Phil Emery doesn't "do" conventional first round picks

He is all about measurables, so Clowney should fit the bill.

defiantgiant posted:

It's one way to fix their D. I'd also be OK with switching to a 4-3 variant like Seattle's or Oakland's, one that uses a bigger left DE and a rush linebacker. I just think they need bigger bodies up front to stop the run, and it's probably easier to manufacture pressure with LB blitzes than it is to find another great pass-rushing DE.

While I think we have to transition to a new scheme, I'm not sold on a 3-4, unless we get Wade Phillips or Ray Horton. I would feel they are just doing it to try making Shea McClellin less worthless, and he isn't worth fixing the defense for.

Honestly, there have been whisperings that Trestman favors the 3-4, so it could happen.

Having said all that, I'd still rather have Clowney, resign Melton, Ratliff and Wooten and just terrorize teams next year.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Ozu posted:

Look at that smile.

I wonder if college game day will bump Tebow when JFF becomes available in three years.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Sataere posted:

He is all about measurables, so Clowney should fit the bill.

While I think we have to transition to a new scheme, I'm not sold on a 3-4, unless we get Wade Phillips or Ray Horton. I would feel they are just doing it to try making Shea McClellin less worthless, and he isn't worth fixing the defense for.

Honestly, there have been whisperings that Trestman favors the 3-4, so it could happen.

Having said all that, I'd still rather have Clowney, resign Melton, Ratliff and Wooten and just terrorize teams next year.

Don't care about Scheme. Just give me a defense that doesn't give up 5 yards a carry.

Also gently caress if Clowney falls to the Lions

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I wonder if college game day will bump Tebow when JFF becomes available in three years.

He's retiring after winning the Browns 3 Super Bowls. :confused:

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

Dexo posted:

Don't care about Scheme. Just give me a defense that doesn't give up 5 yards a carry.

Yeah, this.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Ozu posted:

Look at that smile.

The blonde girl is pretty much eye-loving him. The troubles of being a star QB

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

That is the smile of a douche saying smarmy poo poo to a beat reporter.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Dane Brugler is mocking Bortles to the Texans. Worth noting that he was the first guy to call Eric Fisher at No. 1 last year.

http://t.co/DkdHCzNzS5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

The Puppy Bowl posted:

He'll be speaking with a slur at that point.

• Locked thread