Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

double nine posted:

Could you give a basic rundown on the fun that would ensue if we kept all of it, and how long/what it would take to get rid of the rebels?

If my experience playing Austria in Vicky 2 is any indication, Hungarians are never loving happy. If there's three things that are the bane of my existence, it's Jacobin, Hungarians, and the British, in that order.

That being said, I vote whatever fucks the Hungarians, so C-3, I suppose. Also because health care is the best care, and the best reform too (apart from schools, but that's not an option). Additionally, I'd like for Hungary to lose that sea access or get Dalmatia entirely, because disconnected Dalmatia makes me weep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
B3

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...
B3

Grateful vassal's are good vassals, and you can't lose with Healthcare Reform.

sureaboutthatthing
Oct 15, 2013
B3

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I'd also like to re-iterate something that was a bit understated:

If Hungary at any moment in time becomes a Great Power, we lose our overlordship over them and get no opportunity to get it back beyond incurring full infamy costs, and that only if they drop down beyond Secondary Power. Considering Hungary is on the level of those "gently caress you" GPs that pop up when a big war slaps down a few of the major ones (see also: Bavaria, Sweden) and puppets seem unnaturally attracted to prestige techs, this might very well happen if we leave Hungary be, unpartitioned.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

D1 it seems like all plans involved are dead set on us becoming Ugliest Blob of 2014 so I can only support the one that gets rid of most of our stuff in the hope that we would look slightly less bad.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
C3. Healthcare reform is very strong, and I see no reason why it's consistent to let the Hungarians have their independence but keep the Romanians down. And don't you Crown of St. Stephen me. Also, yeah, Hungary GPing would be a tremendous pain in the rear end.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

TheMcD posted:

If Hungary at any moment in time becomes a Great Power, we lose our overlordship over them and get no opportunity to get it back beyond incurring full infamy costs, and that only if they drop down beyond Secondary Power. Considering Hungary is on the level of those "gently caress you" GPs that pop up when a big war slaps down a few of the major ones (see also: Bavaria, Sweden) and puppets seem unnaturally attracted to prestige techs, this might very well happen if we leave Hungary be, unpartitioned.

Good point.

Changing my vote to C-3. And we should definitely keep the whole coastline, because one of the ways to control our vassal states is by making them use our ports to export stuff anywhere that isn't Russia or the Ottomans.

Is there a way to also free Croatia (albeit one that only includes Slavonia and Croatia proper, not Dalmatia or Istria)?

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe

TheMcD posted:

Agreed. Not voting, but an unpartitioned Hungary, in the few of my games where I managed to annex Austria, Hungary was always a massive pain in the but when it had all of it's cores. It usually manages to become a GP due to another GP's bad luck..... and it does get an industry rather quickly. Don't let it. It will try to take your sphere, and just be a giant pain in the rear end.

Edit: Clarifying. Whoops.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
C-3

Hungary would just cause us problems if it is whole

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

The Sandman posted:

Good point.

Changing my vote to C-3. And we should definitely keep the whole coastline, because one of the ways to control our vassal states is by making them use our ports to export stuff anywhere that isn't Russia or the Ottomans.

Is there a way to also free Croatia (albeit one that only includes Slavonia and Croatia proper, not Dalmatia or Istria)?

Editing cores and borders is trivial, though I'll probably have to ask Wiz for help with not giving every released state Expressionism.

One last thing to point out. Going all Trianon on Hungary will lead them to crazy levels of revaunchism and if one of our vassals has a revolution its ties to us will break. (If we have a revolution all of our vassals will go free)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Patter Song posted:

One last thing to point out. Going all Trianon on Hungary will lead them to crazy levels of revaunchism and if one of our vassals has a revolution its ties to us will break. (If we have a revolution all of our vassals will go free)

Just stick an army in Budapest and be done with it. If poo poo gets out of hand, you can then do the occasional cleanup.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
A philosophical question: can I truly call SGF "the most technologically advanced country on Earth" if I do, in fact, have more tech than anyone else but my (nonexistent) Navy is still operating on 1836 tech?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Patter Song posted:

A philosophical question: can I truly call SGF "the most technologically advanced country on Earth" if I do, in fact, have more tech than anyone else but my (nonexistent) Navy is still operating on 1836 tech?

Yes, because your technology has clearly just evolved beyond the need for boats.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
B3. Ludwigcare will provide a life of health and happiness to our new, more fully German, nation.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
B3 for Hungary.

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009
B3, because on reflection 1 and 2 probably aren't such great ideas in a newly formed empire.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Lynneth posted:

B3 for Hungary.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
If anyone wants demographic breakdowns on any specific parts of the eastern empire we're partitioning, just ask.

I'm thinking that we're going to keep the Croatian coastline after all in either B or C because that would be dumb for us to give up.

As mentioned before, if released in B Hungary would still be 12.7% South German, as well as 40.1% Hungarian. There are a great many provinces in Transylvania that are something like 50% Romanian, 30% Hungarian, 10% South German, 10% North German/Other.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Patter Song posted:

Editing cores and borders is trivial, though I'll probably have to ask Wiz for help with not giving every released state Expressionism.

I'm pretty sure releases getting all your tech and all inventions related to them is hard coded. What should work though:
1) Make a new save just before release
2) Use "provid" in console and get the ID of your capital
3) Edit your save file, search for "capital=XXX" to find the SGF contry section.
4) Remove whatever you want from the technologies section.
5) I don't think you need to remove anything from the active_inventions section.
6) Release, and edit your technologies back.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Xenoborg posted:

I'm pretty sure releases getting all your tech and all inventions related to them is hard coded. What should work though:
1) Make a new save just before release
2) Use "provid" in console and get the ID of your capital
3) Edit your save file, search for "capital=XXX" to find the SGF contry section.
4) Remove whatever you want from the technologies section.
5) I don't think you need to remove anything from the active_inventions section.
6) Release, and edit your technologies back.
You could also use human=yes to find yourself.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Munich is #599, just for my own reference.

Also, the only province I'd need to take away from Hungary to have an unbroken Dalmatian coastline is Senj, which only has 30k pops (half Croatian, a third Serb, 5.6% South German) and is only 1.3% Hungarian. Yeah...Hungary's losing the core on Senj if we pick B or C.

EDIT: As an example of data, the state of Slovakia has 918k pops (extremely densely populated) and is 52% Slovak, 24% Hungarian, 10% Ukrainian, 8% South German, 3% Ashkenazi Jewish, 2% Romanian and 1% Other. The city of Bratislava (Pressburg) and its environs have 256k pops (amazingly densely populated) and is 58% Slovak, 23% Hungarian, 10% South German, 8% Ashkenazi Jewish, and 1% Other.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 8, 2014

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

B3 :hitler:

Keep the Croatian coastline, we need it to host our Battleship fleet.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Pimpmust posted:

B3 :hitler:

Keep the Croatian coastline, we need it to host our Battleship fleet.

Lets keep it historical and keep Trieste for our battleships.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Hypothetical (except not because it's going to happen eventually):

If Italy attacks us to take some of its rightful possessions idiotic claims, what should the Kaiser do to punish them? Is it more in character for him, as a good Catholic, to restore the Holy See and kick the Italians out of Rome, or is it more in character for him, as a good Romantic, to end the Milanese capitalist exploitation of the Mezzogiorno and Sicily and free Kingdom of the Two Sicilies from North Italian tyranny?

This isn't a vote, I'm just looking for suggestions, because Italy is going to (falsely) determine that we're vulnerable and come knocking soon.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Patter Song posted:

If Italy attacks us to take some of its rightful possessions idiotic claims, what should the Kaiser do to punish them? Is it more in character for him, as a good Catholic, to restore the Holy See and kick the Italians out of Rome, or is it more in character for him, as a good Romantic, to end the Milanese capitalist exploitation of the Mezzogiorno and Sicily and free Kingdom of the Two Sicilies from North Italian tyranny?

This isn't a vote, I'm just looking for suggestions, because Italy is going to (falsely) determine that we're vulnerable and come knocking soon.

Force-releasing the Papal State is probably my preferred choice, but good god that infamy cost for no real benefit beyond roleplaying.

Alternatively, I would bring more nations into the South German fold by annexing North Italy and releasing puppets such as Venice and Lombardia.

Also, puppet Switzerland at some point. They're southern. And German. It must be done for the sake of the Federation.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Patter Song posted:

The truly honourable thing to do would be to cede the territory wrongful stolen from Italian hands by the cruel warmongers of Austria. If we do not undo the tragic consequences of their crimes, are we truly any better than they are?

In that vein, I shall vote for D1. Let all peoples of Europe look to Bavaria as the most benevolent and enlightened of states.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

TheMcD posted:

Force-releasing the Papal State is probably my preferred choice, but good god that infamy cost for no real benefit beyond roleplaying.

I don't really conquer much, and uncivs are cheap, anyway, and force-releasing things to screw with the big dogs is a tremendous amount of fun.

There's nothing I like better than Balkanizing rivals, sphereing the minors, and basically taunting them to try to reclaim their stuff. The absolute best is releasing Bulgaria from the Ottomans...it's like half the Balkans.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Patter Song posted:

I don't really conquer much, and uncivs are cheap, anyway, and force-releasing things to screw with the big dogs is a tremendous amount of fun.

There's nothing I like better than Balkanizing rivals, sphereing the minors, and basically taunting them to try to reclaim their stuff. The absolute best is releasing Bulgaria from the Ottomans...it's like half the Balkans.

Still, if you're going to release the Pope, you'll have to go and release Two Sicilies as well, because a split Italy is just terrible.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

TheMcD posted:

Still, if you're going to release the Pope, you'll have to go and release Two Sicilies as well, because a split Italy is just terrible.

I believe that it'd be better to release the Papal States for just this reason :getin:

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Patter Song posted:

Why not both? :smuggo:

As a magnanimous gesture, though, I say that when we beat up France to get Alsace, we also give the Italians back Nice and Savoy. Because that was really just a dick move on Cavour's part.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Sandman posted:

As a magnanimous gesture, though, I say that when we beat up France to get Alsace, we also give the Italians back Nice and Savoy. Because that was really just a dick move on Cavour's part.

It really was. If I were Wiz I'd probably have overturned that. It wasn't a great move in real life, it was even less so in a world where Italy formed (with Lombardy!) with no need for French assistance and with Austria crumbling at the seams.

One almost suspects that Cavour did it just to spite Garibaldi.

EDIT: Fun fact. For a while a few months ago I was considering changing my avatar to a picture of Count Cavour (Mainly because I find his "Victorian Gabe Newell" look amazing). I decided against it, but in retrospect I wish I had because it would've made this update even better.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 8, 2014

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

B...b..but philosopher junko!

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Patter Song posted:

It really was. If I were Wiz I'd probably have overturned that. It wasn't a great move in real life, it was even less so in a world where Italy formed (with Lombardy!) with no need for French assistance and with Austria crumbling at the seams.

EDIT: Fun fact. For a while a few months ago I was considering changing my avatar to a picture of Count Cavour (Mainly because I find his "Victorian Gabe Newell" look amazing). I decided against it, but in retrospect I wish I had because it would've made this update even better.
That decision is just stupid to take in V2, almost as stupid as Forming the SGF as Austria.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Patter Song posted:

I just found the potential Cavour avatars I made again recently. Good times.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
B and 3 won. We're going to remain an oligarchy of South German men of means where organized dissent is forced underground, but the commoners will be able to see the doctor so it should all work out OK! It worked for Otto von Bismarck. Also much like Bismarck, the Hungarians are out.

Next update might be a while, I want to get this right. I'm keeping the province of Senj so we'll have an unbroken coastline. We will try the "delete Expressionism, release vassals, give ourselves back Expressionism" strategy to prevent Hungary from stealing 40 prestige from us.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
In my Austria-Germany game the Hungarians all assimilated to Germans. The only states I had that wasn't 80-90 German minimum were Venice and Lombardia. Ahhh old Vicky 2

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

theblastizard posted:

In my Austria-Germany game the Hungarians all assimilated to Germans. The only states I had that wasn't 80-90 German minimum were Venice and Lombardia. Ahhh old Vicky 2

Yes. As of AHD they stopped doing that.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Patter Song posted:

Yes. As of AHD they stopped doing that.
That was a really good decision because it was hilariously stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

theblastizard posted:

That was a really good decision because it was hilariously stupid.

To be specific, pops never assimilate on territory that has a core in which that pop is a primary/accepted culture.

Example: illiterate Slovakian farmer outside of Bratislava will never become a South German due to the Slovakia core. If he moves to Vienna, he may eventually become South German. If he goes to New York City, he'll be a Yankee by the end of the month.

Original Vicky 2: illiterate Slovakian farmer has no such protection, a decade in he'll become South German. Alternately, he moves to the New World and begins a very slow integration process during which time he notices that the USA is now 30% Chinese due to all the immigration from East Asia, and that Canada is 99% various types of South Asians and flat-out majority Bengali because that's how the British Empire works.

V2 has come a long way.

EDIT: After I play the next update I'll probably do a State of the World. Keeping an eye on several things...my estimate of Chinese Westernization is being pushed back to 1890, though. The later the better for the rest of us, as China has more and more to catch up on factory efficiency techs. If China westernizes in the 1860s or 1870s when European factories aren't much better than theirs they'll put all of Europe out of business very quickly. By 1890 our factories are enough better that it'll take them some years to build them up to factory level 20 or so and outperform us on sheer manpower.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 10, 2014

• Locked thread