Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Opopanax posted:

Gordon becomes Batman, Wayne becomes Robin. Do it Warner, go nuts

*Wayne smashes Gordon's badge with a police baton* "You wanna GET NUTS? Then COME ON, let's GET NUTS!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Make Gordan The Grey Ghost, let's go coconuts with it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
If Gordon is ostensibly the protagonist but Bruce Wayne is also a regular, and the show has to build up Smallville-style to Bruce putting on the costume... what exactly is Gordon's character arc on this show supposed to be? Seven seasons of buildup to the realization that he and the GCPD are too corrupt and/or ineffectual to protect the city and that Gotham needs a costumed vigilante instead?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

We are going to follow Bruce Wayne through all the boring stuff no one cares about and then end the show before it gets to the part people actually want to see. Yes, this is how we are trying to sell people on the show.

Also, how can Joker, Riddler, and Catwoman be on this show if all of them are basically the same age as Bruce? The Joker might be slightly older? I guess the Riddler might as well, but both of them did not become super villains until after Batman started his career.

This would have been better than what will actually happen.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Have they cast Gordon yet? Because I can imagine whoever gets the job not being too happy about the idea that they've decided the show is about Batman now.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
Why couldn't they have just made this Gotham Central and only had brief cameos of Batman, typically in the shadows?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

sleepingbuddha posted:

Why couldn't they have just made this Gotham Central and only had brief cameos of Batman, typically in the shadows?

That'd be a great idea that makes a lot of money and Warner hates that

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

sleepingbuddha posted:

Because that's the ideal time period to make a batman tv show thats not about batman and thus they could never do it. Seriously, have the tv show be during the first few years of batman, with urban legends popping up about a monstrous bat. Have the show start off with serial killers and weirdo murderers (like the doll maker who was recently on Arrow) but as the show progresses have various big bads emerge. Occasionally have Gordon catch glimpses of a man running away from beaten up thugs.

You can still have Bruce Wayne be a regular cast member, have him be the portion of the show that exposes the decadent rich life of Gotham to contrast with Gordon trudging through the muck.

Cos Bruce at age twelve is not going to be a fun guy to be hanging around with.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Warner Bros general stance is that you cannot have a character be on both a TV show and a movie because it might confuse audiences, and Batman is going to be in the Superman movie. They know this is scientific fact because this has happened before with

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And the whole 'no tights, no flights' was the biggest anvil around Smallville's neck after like season 3. At some point, they needed to bite the bullet, and either the showrunners, Welling or a combination of the two, wouldn't take the leap.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I can't wait to have a vaguely hispanic-looking businessman who wears red sunglasses and a serial killer who tells jokes sometimes show up as Bane and Joker and talk a lot but never do anything interesting.

And it's gonna be great when we're 8 seasons in and the entire Justice League is formed but Bruce is still like "Ugh, I don't know if I want to be Batman, I'd rather just mope at home and very reluctantly help people sometimes."

Also Vicki Vale is going to marry Killer Croc at some point.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 14, 2014

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
And James Gordon will get killed off and is revealed to have been Henry James Gordon, and his kid brother Jim takes up his badge and goes on to be the Commissioner.

We need a Smallville survivor's support group.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Really the ideal way to do this show is have young Bruce and young Harvey basically be the Hardy Boys who always annoy Old Man Gordon, but you know the old crank loves those little rascals deep down.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Moai Ou posted:

We need a Smallville survivor's support group.

Its called Arrow

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I can't wait to have a vaguely hispanic-looking businessman who wears red sunglasses and a serial killer who tells jokes sometimes show up as Bane and Joker and talk a lot but never do anything interesting.

And it's gonna be great when we're 8 seasons in and the entire Justice League is formed but Bruce is still like "Ugh, I don't know if I want to be Batman, I'd rather just mope at home and very reluctantly help people sometimes."

Also Vicki Vale is going to marry Killer Croc at some point.

Here I was excited for Bruce sitting around and moping in his giant mansion, waffling on whether to go to his rich-kid school today or not, while Gordon gets shot at but we won't focus on it because it's a show about BATMAN!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

NBC's getting a Constantine pilot

I could dig that, NBC does some good stuff and Constantine is definitely a property that could work as a weekly show

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Opopanax posted:

I could dig that, NBC does some good stuff and Constantine is definitely a property that could work as a weekly show

Pair it up with Hannibal.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Opopanax posted:

I dunno, a show where John can't say gently caress or oval office seems like it just can't really be Hellblazer. Unless NBC's broadcasting standards changed massively since the last time I watched Late Night.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
It will never be Hellblazer. It'll be Constantine. We have a 50/50 chance of John being british, at best.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

sleepingbuddha posted:

While I really would have liked this, I'm interested to see where they'll take it. A show centering on young Jim Gordon, as we all previously thought Gotham would, seems like it would have fizzled out really quickly since it would have been no different than your standard police procedural. But I also think they'll probably have to abandon Gotham as the sole or primary setting for this plan of theirs to work. I mean, if Bruce is going to be aging relative to his actor's age, the only way I can think to keep him interesting in his mid teens is for him to be training and sleuthing in Paris, London, Shanghai, etc. Hopefully Fox can prove me wrong and give him interesting arcs while also maintaining the Gotham setting. At least I never watched Smallville so I'm probably more optimistic than most.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If they really are going to be making Gotham more about Bruce Wayne they need to age him the gently caress up because nobody is going to care about a 12 year old Bruce.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Lurdiak posted:

I dunno, a show where John can't say gently caress or oval office seems like it just can't really be Hellblazer. Unless NBC's broadcasting standards changed massively since the last time I watched Late Night.
It's not going to be Hellblazer. It's Constantine. It will have more to do with the movie than the comics. He'll be an American and trying to quit smoking.

That said, if they bring back Peter Stormare as Lucifer, it will have justified itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rVFse1LLQs

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
They will also constantly mispronounce his name and it will drive me bugshit insane for no good reason.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

And the whole 'no tights, no flights' was the biggest anvil around Smallville's neck after like season 3. At some point, they needed to bite the bullet, and either the showrunners, Welling or a combination of the two, wouldn't take the leap.

"No tights no flights" came straight from the producers themselves, they thought it was a good idea. And Welling was adamant for no-tights all the loving way up to the very last scene of the damned series, which is why the very closest we ever got to him in the costume was the shirt-pull in said last scene. Smallville was born of a demon seed.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 14, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

It's not going to be Hellblazer. It's Constantine. It will have more to do with the movie than the comics. He'll be an American and trying to quit smoking.

Oh, that's fine then. That movie was fun. And maybe I can pretend Brimstone got reincarnated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA_DHFQ588g

But I still kinda wanted an HBO Hellblazer.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 14, 2014

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Oh, that's fine then. That movie was fun. And maybe I can pretend Brimstone got reincarnated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA_DHFQ588g

But I still kinda wanted an HBO Hellblazer.

Oh poo poo, Brimstone was great. If Constantine can have Peter Stormare and John Glover in a Satan-off over John's soul they can Keanufy him all they want.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah man, they're totally going to be basing a TV show off of a 9 year old movie.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

So, with Constantine going to NBC, did Warner Bros just sell the rights to a show that is going to essentially be a direct competitor to Supernatural, another show it owns on its semi-owned network?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Oh poo poo, Brimstone was great. If Constantine can have Peter Stormare and John Glover in a Satan-off over John's soul they can Keanufy him all they want.

Brimstone was the exact perfect amount of corny trashy TV wrapped in a :krad: glaze, I can't believe it never got renewed. And yeah, John Glover was the best Satan that ever Satan'd.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gaz-L posted:

Can someone explain to me the reasoning for this as someone who did not watch Smallville?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

achillesforever6 posted:

Can someone explain to me the reasoning for this as someone who did not watch Smallville?

Film and TV execs are fountains of bad, nonsensical ideas.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

achillesforever6 posted:

I watched every drat episode of that show and I'm hosed if I can explain it.

The last series had Darkseid as the primary antagonist but your main character is called "The Red-Blue Blur". Really?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Smallville stands as a testament to corporate mishandling and general creative bankruptcy. It pretty much does everything wrong that you could expect a comic show to do.

Darkseid was indeed the final main villain of the series. Before him, you had Zod and Doomsday and Braniac. You had the Justice League AND Justice Society on the show. Superboy Connor Kent was also on the show, as well as the Legion of Superheroes. Jamie Reyes Blue Beetle was also on the show. All of this, and Clark only became Superman in the last 5 minutes of the series.

Wonder Woman and Batman and all people associate with them were banned from the show by corporate. Green Arrow was a regular on the show for nearly the last HALF of the SERIES.

The writing/chemistry for Lana and Clark got so bad and the fans hated it so much that they eventually had to write in a Hancockesque thing where she can't be near him because she now had kryptonite blood or something.

They had Jimmy Olsen, who was about the same age as Clark, be a regular on the show for years, and then killed him off only to reveal that James was his middle name, and that his little brother was actually Jimmy Olsen.

They did an episode featuring Stride gum in which a tainted batch of gum gave Pete super powers. He ate the gum because they were hosting a rave at a Stride Gum factoryasdgjhiasghasdjgfaweuojrht

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 14, 2014

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
ToastyPotato I need you to write a book all about Smallville. I seriously had more fun reading that than I ever did during the three seasons I managed to sit through.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ToastyPotato posted:

They had Jimmy Olsen, who was about the same age as Clark, be a regular on the show for years, and then killed him off only to reveal that James was his middle name, and that his little brother was actually Jimmy Olsen.

:psyduck:

That's the most bizarre thing i've heard all week, dear god.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

ToastyPotato posted:

They did an episode featuring Stride gum in which a tainted batch of gum gave Pete super powers. He ate the gum because they were hosting a rave at a Stride Gum factoryasdgjhiasghasdjgfaweuojrht

Yo ho ho, he took a bite of Gum Gum.

Cool moments in Smallville:

- The Flash outrunning Clark in a Super speed race.
- Green Arrow hits a bullet mid flight with an arrow.
- That one time in that one episode where Clark was fighting another superstrength guy and each punch didn't send them careening into a dumpster. Scratch that, the rest of that episode was pretty dire.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

:psyduck:

That's the most bizarre thing i've heard all week, dear god.

I think they even give lil' Jimmy his brother's camera at the funeral. PASSING THE TORCH. :suicide:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

JT Smiley posted:

ToastyPotato I need you to write a book all about Smallville. I seriously had more fun reading that than I ever did during the three seasons I managed to sit through.

No poo poo, please effort post ASAP, I can't believe that poo poo!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One of the funniest things about Smallville was that Tom Welling, who was playing "young" Clark Kent is older than Brandon Routh.

Edit: Also that Smallville ran for 10 years and he only became Superman at the last minute of the last episode.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 14, 2014

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

ToastyPotato posted:

Also, said little brother was played by the same actor as the first Jimmy Olsen. Really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Don't forget that Clark Kent and his dad came off as bigger assholes than Lex Luthor, and basically drove him to being a villian.