Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

randombattle posted:

Also this email is blowing my mind. There are people who play pc games not at maximum resolution? Why would you ever do that?!

Because I play PC games/everything on my TV, which does 1080p. The monitor sitting on my coffee table does 1920x1200 and my computer is very capable but so what? I'd rather play poo poo on my tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I don't remember what the reviews were like for Dark Souls, but the last game I remember that had a giant wave of negative reviews from Professional Video Games Reviewers who were simply too dumb/bad to get far or learn the game was Dragon's Dogma. It was kind of funny actually, most of the reviews were either super low or 7's, 8's, and 9's. You'd read a positive review and it'd talk about how fun the combat is and how there's hidden depth there that rewards you for dicking around and experimenting, and then read a super negative review where the reviewer couldn't get past the first or second tutorial area boss and just gave up, assuming the game was just some lovely, shallow beat-em-up.

Ugh, I'm still annoyed by how idiotic some of those reviews were. Thank god DD did well enough to get a sequel anyway.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Captain Internet posted:

Doesn't matter if MG:R is bad at explaining itself because, platinum, japan, defining the ~~~~*genre*~~~~. It's enigmatic on purpose, by design so you can be part of the cultural zeitgeist and feel empowered by overcoming adversity.

Are your posts godawful on purpose. Are they miserable by design so we can feel empowered by hitting the ignore button

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

VDay posted:

I don't remember what the reviews were like for Dark Souls, but the last game I remember that had a giant wave of negative reviews from Professional Video Games Reviewers who were simply too dumb/bad to get far or learn the game was Dragon's Dogma. It was kind of funny actually, most of the reviews were either super low or 7's, 8's, and 9's. You'd read a positive review and it'd talk about how fun the combat is and how there's hidden depth there that rewards you for dicking around and experimenting, and then read a super negative review where the reviewer couldn't get past the first or second tutorial area boss and just gave up, assuming the game was just some lovely, shallow beat-em-up.

Ugh, I'm still annoyed by how idiotic some of those reviews were. Thank god DD did well enough to get a sequel anyway.

gently caress yeah Dragon's Dogma!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

MG:R IS really bad at training you on how to do that poo poo, though.

The boss he's talking about IS the training though. The game explains parrying early, that boss is just the game saying "seriously, learn the parry". Although it seems like he really liked the game anyway if you read the whole review.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The boss he's talking about IS the training though. The game explains parrying early, that boss is just the game saying "seriously, learn the parry". Although it seems like he really liked the game anyway if you read the whole review.

It's like people have forgotten when games didn't spend 40 minutes walking you hand in hand through every mechanic of the game.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

randombattle posted:

It's like people have forgotten when games didn't spend 40 minutes walking you hand in hand through every mechanic of the game.

It was the inevitable result of people who couldn't get passed the barrel in Sonic 3 growing up to review videogames.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010

randombattle posted:

Well it doesn't help that manuals are basically dead. :mad:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

VDay posted:

It's weird, because reviews were always pretty positive for both Dark Souls and Demon's Souls. Recall that loving Gamespot of all places named Demon's Souls GotY.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

randombattle posted:

To be fair, Revengeance isn't exactly good at explaining its mechanics. The bad tutorials and the camera are probably the biggest shortcomings of that game.

They should just put that tutorial video Chip made into the game.

VVVVV Probably Monsoon, since people generally have problems parrying him properly.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jan 15, 2014

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Is he talking about Monsoon or Sundowner? Can't be Mistral.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I assumed Blade Wolf, because I don't know how you can get that far without being able to parry. I originally played the demo and figured out how parrying worked within a minute. I thought it was super intuitive at the time :shrug:

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Yes you're probably right. I stopped there for the same reason :v:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

randombattle posted:

They forgot that in favour of spending 16 minutes sitting on your hands watching a YouTube fan-video to learn things that the game barely mentions if at all, like "the existence of the lock-on function".

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Kins posted:

They forgot that in favour of spending 16 minutes sitting on your hands watching a YouTube fan-video to learn things that the game barely mentions if at all, like "the existence of the lock-on function".

This is a thing you will figure out by just pushing all the buttons. Is that not something people do anymore? Not saying that game does explain itself well all the time (I didn't find out how useful the dodging was until many hours in), but most of this stuff you'll figure out just by actually trying to play the game and experimenting.

It's like the exact thing that Brad never does.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 15, 2014

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

This is a thing you will figure out by just pushing all the buttons. Is that not something people do anymore? Not saying that game does explain itself well all the time (I didn't find out how useful the dodging was until many hours in), but most of this stuff you'll figure out just by actually trying to play the game and experimenting.
If you're telling me they couldn't fit a "Oh yeah, you can lock on to enemies, too!" voice over line for the optional VR mission tutorial into the 23 gigabyte download, I'll need to see your workings.

Hakkesshu posted:

Last time someone from Giant Bomb whacked all the buttons, it didn't work out especially well (OR DID IT?!?)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Kins posted:

If you're telling me they couldn't fit a "Oh yeah, you can lock on to enemies, too!" voice over line for the optional VR mission tutorial into the 23 gigabyte download, I'll need to see your workings.

You can see the control scheme in the options menu (or maybe it was the help menu). The lock on button is clearly labeled there.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 15, 2014

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Hakkesshu posted:

This is a really hilarious defense for a game having terrible UX. gently caress it, get rid of all tutorials, throw every player into every game with no explanation of how to play, and alienate 70% of a game's potential audience.

Andrast posted:

You can see the control scheme in the options menu (or maybe it was the help menu). The lock on button is clearly labeled there.

yes but if you don't know lock on exists why on earth would you think to open the options menu to look for it :psyduck:

e: also any game that requires you to look up a youtube video to learn how to play it is a Bad Game

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Why would you go into a character action game not expecting there to be lock on functionality?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

yes but if you don't know lock on exists why on earth would you think to open the options menu to look for it :psyduck:

I thought that looking at the controls is usually the first thing people do in games.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
If you dont know how to do something look it up in the help menu. Just because the game doesnt have a 30 minute tutorial doesnt mean it never tells you how to do poo poo.

abraham linksys posted:

e: also any game that requires you to look up a youtube video to learn how to play it is a Bad Game

Chips video is just "Hey retard, buy the dodge. Check the controls in help. Parry." stretched out over ten minutes. Then he talks about blade mode canceling and dodge offset for the last five, which actually are the kind of advanced secret techniques you need to learn on youtube

Dred Cosmonaut fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 15, 2014

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I am able to tear through Vanquish and Bayonneta without a problem. Blade wolf, however, hosed me up bad. I ended up setting it aside I was so frustraited. So, from my experience, the game does indeed do a poo poo job of teaching you how to play it properly. I plan on going back to it, but I definitely needed a cool off period.

It could just be I'm old and horrible at learning new games though. I suck so bad at Spelunky after spending 150+ deaths with the thing. Watching Patrick pick it up and do so well so quickly made me feel like a huge loser.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
When that game introduces every other mechanic like sprinting et c and its buttons, except for lock on, you can't blame people for thinking you can't lock on.

Not Al-Qaeda fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 15, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

When that game introduces every other mechanic like sprinting et c and it's buttons, except for lock on, you can't blame people for thinking you can't lock on.

I can 100% blame people for not trying out all the buttons in a game or looking up the controls. I mean, they're right there in the menu.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

You know you guys are exactly right. Next time someone tells me they don't understand how to build a wall in Dwarf Fortress I'm gonna tell them how obvious it is you need to hit b then C (not "c" CAPITAL C, ugh) then w then u 5-10 times. I mean it's in the help menu! Jeez.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

I never watched any LP or tutorial videos and I figured out parrying just fine. I drat near beat the robot dog without taking any damage.

It's a game that requires experimentation and yes, for you to fail a few times before you get it.

Maduo posted:

You know you guys are exactly right. Next time someone tells me they don't understand how to build a wall in Dwarf Fortress I'm gonna tell them how obvious it is you need to hit b then C (not "c" CAPITAL C, ugh) then w then u 5-10 times. I mean it's in the help menu! Jeez.

That's a ridiculous argument and you know it. Lock-on is a single button not a complex and obtuse sequence.

The Monarch fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 15, 2014

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Maduo posted:

You're silly.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Its ok to like Revengeance and at the same time think not explaining one of its most core mechanics was poor design

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Maduo posted:

Again; Why would you go into a crazy complicated building/management game like Dwarf Fortress and then complain that there are complicated un-intuitive keystrokes?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Andrast posted:

I thought that looking at the controls is usually the first thing people do in games.
The little optional tutorial at the start of a new game and the opening mission tell you about pretty much every other control, whether via voice over or via text underneath the health bar.

I'm not doing a Justin McElroy and completely hurling the game under the bus over this one thing, but it's incredibly bizarre that such a tightly designed game trips over such tiny hurdles.

Daius posted:

Why would you go into a character action game not expecting there to be lock on functionality?
I'd imagine people wouldn't expect it if they were, say, completely new to the genre and coming into it based on the Metal Gear connection and positive word of mouth for the console versions. Just as a hypothetical example. :v:

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Point is that even though I know all that from playing Dwarf Fortress enough to be a bad person inside, I can recognise that it's controls are labyrinthian nonsense. Or to put it a better way:

Jackie D posted:

Its ok to like Revengeance and at the same time think not explaining one of its most core mechanics was poor design

EDIT: V Just because AAA games are hand-holdy nurseries these days does not mean going the other direction is the correct path.

Maduo fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 15, 2014

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Jackie D posted:

I found it refreshing. It was like when Batman: AC came out and everyone was complaining that the game gives you all these gadgets at the start with no explanation as to how to use them.

These video game systems are not complicated at all and I had fun with that game in a way I haven't with a AAA game for a while. I was just given a bunch of options and told to try them out. So much of the fun is stripped out of modern video games by a voice that tells you exactly when to use each ability you have at what time (ie "press (B) to crouch!" when you're 2/3 of the way through the game).

I'd love it if modern action games patronized and condescended to me less.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Jackie D posted:

Its ok to like x and at the same time think y was poor design

If there's one thing we've learned this past year, it's that gamers do not understand this at all. Everything is a personal attack that must be defended against at all costs.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I know the Kickstarter talk is sooooooo last page, but I think the really interesting thing about Kickstarter is how completely un-different it is from traditional publisher/developer games creation. Some Kickstarter pitches failed to resonate and never got funded. Some Kickstarter games were cancelled before coming out. Some Kickstarter games came out and were hot trash. A few Kickstarter games fully delivered and are totally awesome.

You know, just like what happened before Kickstarter existed.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Veib posted:

If there's one thing we've learned this past year, it's that gamers do not understand this at all. Everything is a personal attack that must be defended against at all costs.

Or they could just think that thing isn't actually bad. I mean, it is possible right?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

xamphear posted:

I know the Kickstarter talk is sooooooo last page, but I think the really interesting thing about Kickstarter is how completely un-different it is from traditional publisher/developer games creation. Some Kickstarter pitches failed to resonate and never got funded. Some Kickstarter games were cancelled before coming out. Some Kickstarter games came out and were hot trash. A few Kickstarter games fully delivered and are totally awesome.

You know, just like what happened before Kickstarter existed.

The big difference is the type of game, though. Without Kickstarter, something like Broken Age or Shadowrun (and future stuff like Wasteland and Pillars of Eternity) would never have been made - Broken Age straight up feels like a modern Lucasarts adventure game. The prospect of Double Fine making more of these, thanks to Kickstarter, is super exciting.

In fact, Broken Age is arguably the best Double Fine game yet, and the only one I would recommend to anyone without any caveats.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 15, 2014

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The funny thing about the Revengeance lock-on argument to me is that with how aggressive enemies are compared to DMC/DmC and how lovely the camera is, toggling lock-on doesn't even really help me that much. Good luck trying to tag flyers when there's ground enemies, and god help you if you're in a walled-in area. Lock-on will not save you from the camera giving you a nice view of the architecture while cyborgs flank your rear end.

That thing can't even keep up with the faster enemies; it either gets hung up on a wall trying to catch them, or it just straight up doesn't move. Revengeance loving rules, but that camera can go to hell and I don't blame people for not giving it 5 stars all the way because of it.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Veib posted:

Or maybe sometimes people complain about stupid poo poo. There was a massive thousand post thread on Neogaf a few weeks ago because someone couldn't handle the lack of a pause button in Dark Souls (exiting the game takes seconds and leaves you in the exact same spot as you left it, they were literally arguing about a 5-10 second difference for everytime you go take a dump or answer the door or feed a baby or whatever). I haven't played Revengeance but not every complaint is valid or worth listening to.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

toasterwarrior posted:

That thing can't even keep up with the faster enemies; it either gets hung up on a wall trying to catch them, or it just straight up doesn't move. Revengeance loving rules, but that camera can go to hell and I don't blame people for not giving it 5 stars all the way because of it.

Yeah that was my biggest gripe too. Maybe it would have helped if the environments were bigger so the camera had more room to swing around? I'm not sure but it definitely hindered me in a number of fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah that was my biggest gripe too. Maybe it would have helped if the environments were bigger so the camera had more room to swing around? I'm not sure but it definitely hindered me in a number of fights.

I was thinking the camera would work a lot better if it clipped into walls a la God Hand and if it was a bit further from Raiden so you can actually see enemies that aren't next to you. Unfortunately, I imagine that that wouldn't work well with Blade Mode taking you into almost-first-person all the time.

The lightning-fast and hyper-aggressive pace of the game isn't working out for me with the camera; it's gotten me to settle for A-ranks instead of going for that S all the time since I'm a lot more used to DMC's pseudo-fighting-game style that doesn't necessarily have you charging in 24/7. It's still a fantastic game though, my preference aside.

• Locked thread