Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Window capture isn't affected by stuff sitting over the top of it.

Really? First good thing I've heard in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The Game Capture bug happens to some games in Xsplit too. It's basically because of the way the Direct3D APIs are programmed that makes it hard to accurately figure out the extents of the surface.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

The OP posted:

4.) BE HUMBLE
People are helping you out of their
own free time and sharing their
knowledge with you for free. Acting
like an entitled or impatient rear end in a top hat
isn't going to get your problem fixed
any faster, nor will it win you many
friends.

Would you mind politely loving off Cheez?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cheez posted:

Really? First good thing I've heard in a while.

Yeah. Though overlays like Afterburner and Steam will show on it, but that's no big deal to fix.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

The Game Capture bug happens to some games in Xsplit too. It's basically because of the way the Direct3D APIs are programmed that makes it hard to accurately figure out the extents of the surface.

Well, that wasn't the case for me in Xsplit. Last difference between xsplit and OBS though, I had some DirectX games not being recognized by OBS. Does OBS support DX8?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

MEAT! posted:

Would you mind politely loving off Cheez?

Good thing I'm not being entitled or impatient. I put down my opinion on some streaming software in the thread and then got assaulted by people trying to force me to use twitch/hitbox streaming and switch to OBS instead of xsplit. I did not ask for anyone to tell me to use these, or to tell me how to use these, nor did I ask for any help about them. Someone helped me with the problem I came to the thread for and I thanked them. Read it a little closer, because you're acting like I came in here like a newborn baby looking for my first streaming software and then got mad at people for giving me suggestions. I didn't.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Cheez posted:

Good thing I'm not being entitled or impatient. I put down my opinion on some streaming software in the thread and then got assaulted by people trying to force me to use twitch/hitbox streaming and switch to OBS instead of xsplit. I did not ask for anyone to tell me to use these, or to tell me how to use these, nor did I ask for any help about them. Someone helped me with the problem I came to the thread for and I thanked them. Read it a little closer, because you're acting like I came in here like a newborn baby looking for my first streaming software and then got mad at people for giving me suggestions. I didn't.

Uh-huh.

Cheez posted:

There's smug and wrong, and then there's being exactly right. Also yeah have fun with your garbage hitbox and broken twitch.

Cheez posted:

No, actually, it's because your "suggestions" are complete garbage and you aren't paying attention to the problem.

You came in here posting about why you weren't using OBS and Hitbox/twitch. People tried to fix those problems and gave good examples of those being used well. You told them their ideas were garbage.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

I didn't ask for help fixing the problems, and the fixes were not fixes. Why do I have to be thankful for this? In fact, most of the time people "helping" ignored half of what I said and had me repeating myself multiple times. I would have been better off completely ignoring everyone after the initial post and solution to my actual problem, that i actually wanted a solution to, and didn't involve trying to get me to pray to OBS Jesus.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cheez posted:

Does OBS support DX8?

Apparently not, looking at the source code.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

Apparently not, looking at the source code.

drat. Well, in an update or two I could probably ignore that issue and work with it. It's interesting hearing how the window capture works in this compared to every single other streaming software I've worked with.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Cheez posted:

I didn't ask for help fixing the problems, and the fixes were not fixes. Why do I have to be thankful for this? In fact, most of the time people "helping" ignored half of what I said and had me repeating myself multiple times. I would have been better off completely ignoring everyone after the initial post and solution to my actual problem, that i actually wanted a solution to, and didn't involve trying to get me to pray to OBS Jesus.

No, you just failed to adequately describe your problem, so no one had any clue what the gently caress you were talking about and thought you were complaining about something that was trivial to fix.

Plus I expect window capture working with covered windows is dependent on Aero, since it's only when using a modern compositor that the covered portion of the window will remain. (Note that Windows 8 still uses the Aero compositor, it just ditched most of the flashy effects so it's less obvious.)

In any case, moving on...

Nvidia ShadowPlay and horrible audio desync

Someone's brought this up before. The latest Nvidia cards (650 and later) have a built-in H.264 encoder that can be used to record game footage using what Nvidia is calling ShadowPlay.

Unfortunately, the videos tend to have an issue at the start causing very low framerates and audio desync. By setting the fpsnum value when reading them using FFMpegSource, you can deal with the variable frame rate and get useful frames.

Sadly, this leaves the audio out of sync. When played back using Windows Media Player, the first several seconds are a garbled mess, but once you get past that, the video and audio work and are in sync. So clearly it's possible to get the bulk of the video working.

I've yet to figure out how to do that using FFMpegSource and AviSynth with essentially guessing and checking at a delay value.

So the question is simply: anyone have any suggestions on getting FFMpegSource to resync audio past the first couple of seconds of a video? Or is the best solution still "guess and check" or "transcode to lossless using something else and then edit in AviSynth"?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Cheez posted:

Why do I have to be thankful for this?

You don't. You also don't need to act like everybody offering their suggestions is out to get you, but you sure as hell did.

This is an internet forum, a place for public discourse. You offered your opinion on something and voiced your issues with it. People gave you advice and inquired into your issue further. You could have just ignored them at that point, but you decided to respond by being an rear end in a top hat and telling them their ideas were garbage. Despite all this, people are still giving free advice, on their own time, about an issue which you are being incredibly vague about. You don't need to take it, but you also don't need to act like an rear end in a top hat about it. If you really don't want any help, just walk away and stop arguing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Xenoveritas posted:

Plus I expect window capture working with covered windows is dependent on Aero, since it's only when using a modern compositor that the covered portion of the window will remain. (

Oh yeah, that is the case actually. I'd completely forgotten about that.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Here is a guide on how to ask questions in a way that doesn't generate over two dozen posts about how you suck at asking questions and taking criticism and and and

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah. Questions. Questions I never asked. You generally need to learn how to read, I think.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Cheez posted:

Yeah. Questions. Questions I never asked. You generally need to learn how to read, I think.

You generally need to learn how to stop posting, specifically in this thread.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Cheez posted:

My god you are a terrible poster. You deserve one of those giant red avatar titles let's everyone know that you a) act incredibly dickish b) have some sort of persecution complex c) blame others for your own failings. If this is how you act on an Internet forum you must be insufferable in real life. Please seek help.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Cheez posted:

Lance Streetman posted:

If you really don't want any help, just walk away and stop arguing posting.

Go away, Cheez.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

gatz posted:

My god you are a terrible poster. You deserve one of those giant red avatar titles let's everyone know that you a) act incredibly dickish b) have some sort of persecution complex c) blame others for your own failings. If this is how you act on an Internet forum you must be insufferable in real life. Please seek help.

Persecution? That's a bit of an overreaction to me not being very impressed at people trying to tell me what I am or am not asking of them, isn't it?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Cheez posted:

Persecution? That's a bit of an overreaction to me not being very impressed at people trying to tell me what I am or am not asking of them, isn't it?

And that's kind of an understatement for how you've been acting. You know, you don't have to be so vehement towards people when they say things contradictory to your expectations.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Cheez posted:

Here's hoping the 3 people watching your livestream channel are more willing to put up with your horrible attitude than we are.

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?

Cheez posted:

Jesus you are a oval office.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Look at it this way, Cheez. You got a new custom title out of the whole affair.

Ed: But seriously. gently caress off, Cheez.

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 18, 2014

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

And that's kind of an understatement for how you've been acting. You know, you don't have to be so vehement towards people when they say things contradictory to your expectations.
When the contradictory statements are about what I did or didn't say, there's a loving line to draw.

toddy. posted:

Here's hoping the 3 people watching your livestream channel are more willing to put up with your horrible attitude than we are.

Lance Streetman posted:

Look at it this way, Cheez. You got a new custom title out of the whole affair.

Ed: But seriously. gently caress off, Cheez.

Pins posted:

Jesus you are a oval office.

Two people met on the street. One drives a pickup truck, one drives a minivan. Both people can get through their similar days just fine. The end result of their day is the same. Minivan guy tells the other that they don't like the other's vehicle, because reasons/familiarity.

If you don't think that guy is going to be annoyed as gently caress if the other rattles on about how much trucks are better and how that guy should totally switch to it and put a truck cap on it so it'll basically be the same thing, there's something wrong with you, not me.

So, no. I don't have to leave this thread just because of a bunch of OBS evangelicals. Save your fingers for the actual questions. Also, I used to stream for 20+ people at any given time. They weren't as terrible to work with as this thread because they don't try to force people into their own personal tastes.

I've done an "official" LP. I've made videos. I've always worried about audio levels. Hell, that's why I asked a question here about audio, which got answered already. I always go above and beyond with quality unless the video isn't worth the attention. I always stream with high quality audio and even 60fps video when the stream can handle it, which people are in fact able to watch with little trouble. I didn't come here for advice. You have never seen me stream. I continually told you that I wasn't here for advice on how to stream or what to stream with, but you keep telling me I am, somehow. That I'm wrong about what I said to you and that I really meant I'm asking for advice. You want to talk to me like I'm a child when I've already figured this all out long before I even had an account here. My solutions work, they provide a result indistinguishable from any other, and the people I want to stream to get to watch the stream. I don't need a bigger audience, especially not one from Twitch. How many times do I have to say this before I can finally drive it into your skulls?

And yet I'm the one with the DSP avatar? gently caress's sake people, there's on so many times I can repeat the same phrase to you, that it begins to get fairly unrealistic for you to miss the point I'm making every time!

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
You're acting a baby, dude. If everyone else hosed up, sure, whatever, that happens. But considering you're an adult, you could've handled this in a civil manner and not lose your patentice. Just walk away for now because this isn't going to end well.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

The chance for that long passed when people started telling me what to do with my streams and software. That's an internal change. Nobody sees that. It shouldn't matter and it's completely loving ridiculous that someone can try and argue with me, tell me that I'm streaming "wrong" because I chose a different piece of software that had advantages over another.

This loving red text is golden too, it shows nobody's actually loving reading what I'm saying. It tells me the idiot who gave it to me in the first place STILL thinks I wanted help with OBS, or even asked about it. After repeating several times to the contrary.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, I see that, but right now, keeping this up, regardless of who's right and who's wrong, is going to blow an rear end.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Cheez posted:

Two people met on the street. One drives a pickup truck, one drives a minivan. Both people can get through their similar days just fine. The end result of their day is the same. Minivan guy tells the other that they don't like the other's vehicle, because reasons/familiarity.

If you don't think that guy is going to be annoyed as gently caress if the other rattles on about how much trucks are better and how that guy should totally switch to it and put a truck cap on it so it'll basically be the same thing, there's something wrong with you, not me.

Why the gently caress is minivan guy bitching about truck guy's vehicle in the first place? And why would he expect to not get an earful when somebody starts bitching about his truck for no good reason? Your analogy sucks.

And nobody cares how many LPs you've done or how many streams you have under your belt. It doesn't change the fact that you're acting like an rear end.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

And I honestly don't care. The original reason I even threw down $10 for this account was to do an LP of a certain game, which I also asked for help with over here and even accepted that help, although I had trouble working with it. I was supposed to have a co-commentator for it, but he dragged his feet so long that someone else was actually able to complete the entire drat thing before I STILL couldn't get him to guest for me. I threw away two hours of footage for that game. Now I only remained because I'm trying to improvise LPs and pick up some skills, but I don't even feel like doing that anymore, because I'm doing it for people who have a hard time telling when someone wants something or not. The only purpose I even have for streaming in the past months or so is to have live interaction, which is sort of an important thing! A thing I didn't know how to do because of an audio issue, not which software I used, or what site I streamed on, or what phase of the moon is occurring.

Edit: I was post sniped, MORONS. Holy poo poo, you really are doing this. You're using any excuse you can to be a complete rear end in a top hat to me. Better quote everything from now on huh?

Cheez fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 18, 2014

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Just because someone else did it first doesn't mean you can't step in and do your own take and anyone who seriously believes that you can't do that can get hosed. You can still go through with your LP.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

A Bystander posted:

Just because someone else did it first doesn't mean you can't step in and do your own take and anyone who seriously believes that you can't do that can get hosed. You can still go through with your LP.
No, that's not what I'm saying. When I was working on it in the Sandcastle, people were giving me a hard time because I was working on the LP while there was one already ongoing. Either way it's not relevant to the matter at hand. The only point of saying that was to point out I'm not ignoring help and suggestions for anything that I actually needed advice on. It's really, REALLY not cool to have to continually repeat myself and still be stuck replying to alternate universe posts where I apparently actually did ask for help and not just offered my criticism of a piece of software, which someone actually pointed out had a bug in the exact thing i criticized, so it was well placed!

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
He's just admitted that he doesn't care that he's being an rear end in a top hat, can somebody with plat report him already?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

frozentreasure posted:

He's just admitted that he doesn't care that he's being an rear end in a top hat, can somebody with plat report him already?

That was for the post previous, I was sniped. gently caress you.

edit: Yeah, you know what? gently caress this. gently caress everything. There is no point in expending any ounce of effort for people who don't want to read what I'm saying, who don't want to help with the actual issues I have, who want to actually be assholes because they don't see this guy gradually getting more and more pissed off about being forced to use a loving piece of software he does not want or need, and the end result is I entertain the same loving people I can't stand. I'm done with LP. Keep it. I don't have the drive to show off my games anymore.

Cheez fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 18, 2014

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...

Cheez posted:

Gradually getting more and more pissed off about being forced to use a loving piece of software he does not want or need.

:laffo:

Cheez posted:

And the end result is I entertain the same loving people I can't stand. I'm done with LP.

Truly a sad day for the subforum. January 18th 2014: the day that LP died.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
A while back in old of the old threads I swore I posted a Star Wipe thing for AviSynth, but I can't find it anymore. Can anybody help me search through the old threads for it? I'm lazy and don't want to rebuild it.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Cheez posted:

edit: Yeah, you know what? gently caress this. gently caress everything.

Don't let the door hit your rear end on the way out...

But seriously, I actually do have a thing I want to address.

quote:

being forced to use a loving piece of software he does not want or need

Yeah, no. No one's forcing you to use any software. Use whatever the gently caress you want. Hell, point your phone at your monitor and stream using FaceTime for all anyone here cares. There's no requirement that you use the software listed in the guides. Plenty of people use software that they're more comfortable with that aren't listed in the OP. If you don't want to use the software we recommend, you don't have to.

However you can't expect to find advice on software that no one here uses, and when you post claiming that a given piece of software doesn't meet your needs, people are going to try and solve whatever that problem is - this is a tech support thread! Especially when the problem sounds trivial. (And, seriously, "the red box doesn't exactly match the input source size" is a pretty freaking trivial problem.)

But in any case, everyone is free to use whatever software they want to LP. The TSF will, however, always try and steer people to the software we recommend - if only because it's what we're best able to provide answers about.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Suspicious Dish posted:

A while back in old of the old threads I swore I posted a Star Wipe thing for AviSynth, but I can't find it anymore. Can anybody help me search through the old threads for it? I'm lazy and don't want to rebuild it.

Well, I found you saying that you'd made it in the old TSF, but I can't find anywhere that you actually posted a link to it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I actually don't think I posted it anywhere. I found the video I used it on, and I deleted the script locally from my hard disk.

I'll just remake it. Shouldn't be too hard. If anybody wants me to post it afterwards, post and I'll see what I can do.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I am always in need of more stupid transitions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cheez posted:

I don't have the drive to show off my games anymore.

Good news, then! NewEgg just emailed me letting me know that their daily deal is a TOSHIBA 2TB external drive. I have 1TB from the same line from a few years ago, and it's quite solid, so it's got a recommendation from me. I am running out of hard drive space, so I'm going to pick this one up as well. Quite cheap!

EDIT:

Mico posted:

I am always in need of more stupid transitions.

I'll have it ready in a few hours. Just fighting with AviSynth right now. It's going to take a PNG as a mask, so you can make the "star" any shape you want! How's that for stupid transitions! Exclamation marks!!

Suspicious Dish fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 18, 2014