Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Holy poo poo that looks bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Supercar Gautier posted:

Not only would it be necessary to patch every game (even the ones that don't require it will still need to be patched, due to how its presence is always assumed by all firmware and software), but the new SKU would still have to include the component that transmits the wireless video signal (for any users who buy a Gamepad optionally). It's not easy to make a clean break, unfortunately.
It doesn't matter that it's not easy, there is no bailout coming for Nintendo, so they have to consider it.

Some stuff to snack on, from Digital Foundry:

quote:

"We started our work by sniffing a Wii U/GamePad pairing, assuming WiFi encryption keys would be transferred during pairing. It turns out the pairing is (almost) standard WPS [a standard WiFi encryption protocol], with just a little obfuscation added to the crypto," Bourdon continues.

The confirmation of an h.264 encoder built-in to the Wii U (it's believed to be a part of the graphics chip) is similar to elements of the hardware found in both the next-gen Xbox and the PlayStation 4, so there is the slight possibility that cloud functions could be grafted on to the Wii U, especially since Bourdon confirmed that functionality for supporting two Wii U GamePads simultaneously is built into the firmware.

"The firmware of the chip handling communication with the GamePad (called DRH) can be upgraded, so this might be in Nintendo's future plans. Only speculation though, we didn't see anything in the firmware that would indicate they are planning to do this."
The Gamepad itself is what makes the Wii U not profitable (it adds $70-80 to the manufacturing cost of each unit). The video itself is plain h.264. The chip that sends the video can be updated through firmware. It may not be impossible to send that video to a non-Nintendo tablet. You would not be able to have buttons, which is unfortunate, but that would only make it the same experience as playing an original Wii title on the Gamepad right now (Wii Mode on Wii U now streams to the Gamepad but requires separate controllers to play -- the buttons on the Gamepad do nothing).

So what would that mean? It would mean no need to patch games, no need to hunt down third party devs to patch their games. All of the Off TV features would not have to be excised. One thing would have to be updated, and that's the OS itself, to make the app menu the default layout on the main screen (and the Plaza the default on the second screen), and to put all the configuration stuff back on the TV rather than "Look at the gamepad!"

Would it be an inferior experience? YUP! Would it be awkward as gently caress to have a tablet on your lap while you hold a controller? YUP! Do either of those things matter at this point? NOPE. This is hail mary time. The idea here is to make the second screen optional without forcing developers to have to do a lot of retroactive work.

Of course, all of this is in order to try to reach a profit in FY2014, not to "save the Wii U". They'll never get third parties interested in wanting to make games for this system, and the news this week is sure to kill any and all relationships that they already have. Get ready to see Ubisoft pull out their rolodex of vague excuses and backhanded compliments soon. Nintendo, at this point, just needs to figure out how not to completely negate all of the profits they bring in with 3DS, which Wii U is currently doing. Slash any cost that adds up.

As has been said before, none of Nintendo's future titles require Gamepad for major functionality. Mario Kart shows a map, Smash Bros is all about controller preference flexibility, DKCR:TF is most likely just Off TV Play like the other platformers. The Gamepad existing at this point is about legacy support. If you can save $70-80 on each unit (WHICH IS A HUGE AMOUNT) while preserving that legacy support, you've gotta do it.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 18, 2014

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

THE loving MOON posted:

You really can't say this as if everything is business as usual. Nintendo hasn't been in a situation this dire before and I wouldn't put anything past them. They're going to have to do something drastic to keep their stockholders from jumping ship/braying for blood.

They're not going to keep operating as business as usual, but there's more options besides "stay the course" and "release Zelda on the Xbone."

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

The Taint Reaper posted:

Wrong

And they almost made sure that the NES was never released because they got really close to screwing over Atari. It could have been a massive lawsuit.

Hm, yes, I was clearly wrong, this one game for another platform from 30 years ago certainly means that Nintendo will be releasing Super Mario Galaxy 3 on SteamBox this coming holiday season.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think at most Nintendo will just dump the Wii U and focus on handhelds. Nintendo won't make games on other platforms, even though getting rid of their hardware altogether will probably result in the company finally making a profit. No matter how you spin it, Nintendo's current business model right now is terrible. It doesn't work for the company.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

THE loving MOON posted:

You really can't say this as if everything is business as usual. Nintendo hasn't been in a situation this dire before and I wouldn't put anything past them. They're going to have to do something drastic to keep their stockholders from jumping ship/braying for blood.

So, I'm curious, since I haven't been keeping up with the news and headlines. Have Nintendo's executives acknowledged that they have to do something drastic? Are they aware it's a problem?

I know of the recently reported losses, but I thought the attitude was just to wait it out.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn
I think the problems with Nintendo are an evolutionary one. There is no audience for the WiiU. They lost the demographic (happily lost it, by the way) that buys lots of games and upgrades their hardware every couple of years with the Wii. Instead, they welcomed with open arms very young children and nursing home bank. With it, profits soared. So then they release the WiiU. I will go ahead and assume they were hoping that Wii owners would upgrade but...most of their audience is still young enough not to care or have disposable income or old enough not to give a poo poo. The WiiU is the Oliver of game systems.

That said, Nintendo needs games. Badly. I can't stand anything that is out right now, except maybe Pikmin. I can't stand any of the Mario stuff because i've played iterations of the same game for the last 20(?) years. No Nintendo game out now compares to anything any of the other guys are putting out, and I am including indie devs in that. It is like their games are just paint-by-numbers...sure, some of them can be masterpieces, but there is no soul there.

So what I propose is that Nintendo, instead of ditching the WiiU, farms out IP. By that, I mean, they focus exclusively on Mario and Zelda and new IP. They have an enormous back catalog of stuff they probably won't ever use again. Get on the phone, and "gift" these IPs to as many companies that are willing to take them. Pay out the rear end. Invest. The next thing I would do is expand the "gold IP"...the guaranteed hits. Expand Zelda. Nintendo makes their own Zelda game, out in 2015. But, out in 2014 through 2016, 10 episodes of Zelda Chronicles made by 5 different companies will be available. 2-3 hour mini adventures focusing on new and old characters. You can do that with Mario, too. Different play styles for each one. Not full fledged games, but sniglets that you can price at say 10 bucks a pop.

Those are just some ideas. The more mechanical ones, like fixing their loving web issues, redesigning the WiiU, etc. need to wait. Even, what I consider simple idea stuff, like making "channels" like the Wii had, but have them streaming games (like an NES channel, that streams five different NES games a month [sorta like PS Now, but more focused]) on a subscription basis to open up the platform from having three games worth owning to having ALL the games worth owning, just seems like a no brainer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Ballz posted:

That said, Nintendo needs games. Badly. I can't stand anything that is out right now, except maybe Pikmin. I can't stand any of the Mario stuff because i've played iterations of the same game for the last 20(?) years. No Nintendo game out now compares to anything any of the other guys are putting out, and I am including indie devs in that. It is like their games are just paint-by-numbers...sure, some of them can be masterpieces, but there is no soul there.

Both Link Between Worlds and NMSB3DW were released to critical and public acclaim and widely placed on Best Of Year lists. The "no, see guys, nobody likes Nintendo games anymore" argument really doesn't work and the argument that every Nintendo game released is inferior to literally every other game on the market reeks of console warrior bullshit. The only reason we're even discussing Nintendo at all is because people still like their games. If they didn't then they'd be going right into the bin of history like so many other developers.

The argument that Nintendo's problem is that nobody likes their games is so completely bonkers that I don't even know where to begin. Like seriously. You, personally, may not like their games but the entire fact that Nintendo is still a thing is based off the fact that their games are generally considered high-quality and are well received. If they weren't then there wouldn't even be a conversation to be had. It would just be "they're a lovely developer, sucks for them."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 18, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

So, I'm curious, since I haven't been keeping up with the news and headlines. Have Nintendo's executives acknowledged that they have to do something drastic? Are they aware it's a problem?

I know of the recently reported losses, but I thought the attitude was just to wait it out.
Iwata said this week that they're re-evaluating their business model, in the wake of revised sales projections that are massively changed from their initial forecast for FY2013. He has said they're not sure if making consoles and selling $60 games is in their best interest anymore.

It may be worth reposting the quote.

quote:

“We are thinking about a new business structure,” Iwata said at a press conference today in Osaka, Japan.

“We cannot continue a business without winning,” Iwata said. “We must take a skeptical approach whether we can still simply make game players, offer them in the same way as in the past for 20,000 yen or 30,000 yen, and sell titles for a couple of thousand yen each.”

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 18, 2014

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Both Link Between Worlds and NMSB3DW were released to critical and public acclaim and widely placed on Best Of Year lists. The "no, see guys, nobody likes Nintendo games anymore" argument really doesn't work and the argument that every Nintendo game released is inferior to literally every other game on the market reeks of console warrior bullshit. The only reason we're even discussing Nintendo at all is because people still like their games. If they didn't then they'd be going right into the bin of history like so many other developers.

That's great and all, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter when it can't even keep Nintendo afloat. Not enough people care is the correct way to word it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

That's great and all, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter when it can't even keep Nintendo afloat. Not enough people care is the correct way to word it.

Except that it does matter because there's a pretty significant difference to take between "Nobody likes our games" and "these games can't keep a system afloat." Jumping right onto "every Nintendo game is inferior to every game on the market, they should just farm their IPs out" is a significantly more ridiculous argument than "they should start releasing third party games."

There's plenty of basis to argue that Nintendo would be successful if they started putting out games on the X-Box/Playstation because people want to play Nintendo games. There's a lot less to argue that people actually hate Nintendo games and Nintendo has no 'soul' and they should start shopping their IPs out.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 18, 2014

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Except that it does matter because there's a pretty significant difference to take between "Nobody likes our games" and "these games can't keep a system afloat." Jumping right onto "every Nintendo game is inferior to every game on the market, they should just farm their IPs out" is a significantly more ridiculous argument than "they should start releasing third party games."

Not enough people are buying them, that is all that matters to Nintendo.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Darth Ballz posted:

Even, what I consider simple idea stuff, like making "channels" like the Wii had, but have them streaming games (like an NES channel, that streams five different NES games a month [sorta like PS Now, but more focused]) on a subscription basis to open up the platform from having three games worth owning to having ALL the games worth owning, just seems like a no brainer.
They don't have the intrastructure or the software to do that. Plus that kind of streaming is unnecessarily complex for NES games; it's intended for games that can't easily get emulated on the PS4.

Sony paid $380m for Gaikai, that's how important the behind the scenes setup is. And Nintendo don't have that.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

ImpAtom posted:

Both Link Between Worlds and NMSB3DW were released to critical and public acclaim and widely placed on Best Of Year lists. The "no, see guys, nobody likes Nintendo games anymore" argument really doesn't work and the argument that every Nintendo game released is inferior to literally every other game on the market reeks of console warrior bullshit.

Link Between Worlds was 3DS though, I was talking about the WiiU. And fair point, people that owned a WiiU LOVED NBSM3DW...but how many systems did that sell? There can be a bit of selection bias in there, too. But it did have the critical acclaim...that didn't really help sell systems. I am not saying it is a bad game...I own the drat thing. I am saying, it doesn't stay with me the way Last of Us or Skyrim or Gone Home or Limbo or Bastion stayed with me. When compared to those titles, and the many, many more I have played this year it was just...meh.

I realize I was being subjective with my post. I apologize.

I was also suggesting that they farm out the IPs that they will never or sparsely use. There is a TON.

Darth Ballz fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 18, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Not enough people are buying them, that is all that matters to Nintendo.

What, precisely, does that have to do with the argument here? Do you really think Nintendo is going "Hmm, well, our games were widely praised, critically well-recieved, and people seemed to like them, but they're not selling on our own system. Clearly the answer is they don't like our games and the hardware is not at fault at all."

There's a lot Nintendo had done wrong but the argument that they're putting out bad games and need to stop developing games is not a logical one and it isn't a likely course of action for Nintendo in the near future.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 18, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

What, precisely, does that have to do with the argument here? Do you really think Nintendo is going "Hmm, well, our games were widely praised, critically well-recieved, and people seemed to like them, but they're not selling on our own system. Clearly the answer is they don't like our games and the hardware is not at fault at all."

Well the problem is the games are directly tied to the hardware. People want the games just not the hardware.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

Well the problem is the games are directly tied to the hardware.

Yes, exactly. Nintendo's problem at the moment is not that nobody likes their games but that their games are (at least on the Wii U) not selling the hardware on the strength of the games alone. There's a pretty significant difference between the two.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

ImpAtom posted:

There's a lot Nintendo had done wrong but the argument that they're putting out bad games and need to stop developing games is not a logical one and it isn't a likely course of action for Nintendo in the near future.

Considering that games, or the potential of games, sell hardware....probably? Many people got burned on the Wii not having enough games, or not having enough games that they wanted to play.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Quest For Glory II posted:

Iwata said this week that they're re-evaluating their business model, in the wake of revised sales projections that are massively changed from their initial forecast for FY2013. He has said they're not sure if making consoles and selling $60 games is in their best interest anymore.

Of course, for all we know that could be Iwata arguing for Nintendo games debuting at at $45-50 price point and not changing anything else.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Darth Ballz posted:

Considering that games, or the potential of games, sell hardware....probably? Many people got burned on the Wii not having enough games, or not having enough games that they wanted to play.

The Wii would have probably been a better console quality wise if the motion controls were a secondary option. I played too many games on that system where the biggest challenge was just fighting the controls. Yeah sure Wii Sports, just dance, and light gun arcade shooters worked perfectly. The Problems arose when it was every single other game that wasn't one of those games.

Not only that but most wii-games did not last to 10 hours. I have a ton of wii-games but most were over in 5 hours and under. Really with the occasional Atlus game and X-Seed game most non-Nintendo games were not worth plunking even 40 dollars on.

Patter Song posted:

Of course, for all we know that could be Iwata arguing for Nintendo games debuting at at $45-50 price point and not changing anything else.

It could also be that Iwata is out of a job, because both the EA and Microsoft CEO made similar comments when poo poo hit the fan.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Darth Ballz posted:

So if that's the case then something larger is going on, which has been brought up so many times already: price, confusing branding, poor marketing, and other things. The software dry spells feed into all this but it's not the only exclusive problem. I would argue that the name alone had caused many more issues than just lack of software.

WiiFitForWindows8
Oct 14, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

The Wii would have probably been a better console quality wise if the motion controls were a secondary option. I played too many games on that system where the biggest challenge was just fighting the controls. Yeah sure Wii Sports, just dance, and light gun arcade shooters worked perfectly. The Problems arose when it was every single other game that wasn't one of those games.

Not only that but most wii-games did not last to 10 hours. I have a ton of wii-games but most were over in 5 hours and under. Really with the occasional Atlus game and X-Seed game most non-Nintendo games were not worth plunking even 40 dollars on.

It could also be that Iwata is out of a job, because both the EA and Microsoft CEO made similar comments when poo poo hit the fan.

I really don't agree with this.

Pandora's Tower, The Last Story, Xenoblade, No More Heroes 1/2 and Madworld holy mother loving poo poo 80% of my Wii collection are Nintendo titles and first party too....

Okay. Never mind, jesus I thought this console had more...

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Darth Ballz posted:

That's more a problem with third party support. For Nintendo games alone to sell the console as well as GTA, CoD and FIFA/Madden do would be a ludicrous standard to aim for.

Nintendo games are about as consistently good as you can expect from a single large games company, but no company can shoulder supporting a major gaming platform alone.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

WiiFitForWindows8 posted:

I really don't agree with this.

Pandora's Tower, The Last Story, Xenoblade, No More Heroes 1/2 and Madworld holy mother loving poo poo 80% of my Wii collection are Nintendo titles and first party too....

Okay. Never mind, jesus I thought this console had more...

Those games make up a small % of what the Wii library had. It certainly wasn't like the PS2 where you maybe had a dozen or so games of the same genre all tied for the number 1 spot.

I mean has anyone played target terror, has anyone ever seen what target terror looks like?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbtrm0BQ_VA

Shovelware is one thing but there was a disproportionate amount of low quality games on the system compared to good ones. And it was made especially apparent when nothing was coming out for months.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The problem with going "Nintendo games are only (X) hours" is that hours are a poor measure of actual game length. Super Mario Bros Wii U is probably shorter to complete once in actual time spent any, say, any given Metal Gear game. It also is almost certainly more pure hours of gameplay as opposed to cutscenes or scripted events. Nintendo could totally buff up the time spent in their games but I really doubt people want more Fi talking instead of puzzle solving.

(This isn't exclusive to Nintendo either. See a lot of Indie titles or compare Sonic Generations to Sonic 2006 or whatever.)

The Taint Reaper posted:

Shovelware is one thing but there was a disproportionate amount of low quality games on the system compared to good ones. And it was made especially apparent when nothing was coming out for months.

You're absolutely kidding yourself if you think any other given system isn't filled to the brim with shovelware at 3:1 or greater ratios. The Wii had a drought of games in general but there is a lot of trash released for every system on the market.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 18, 2014

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The PS2 and DS especially had a crazy amount of shovelware, mostly because they could be made on the cheap and sell enough to the established userbase to turn a profit. This is probably especially true for the DS thanks to the younger audience and cheaper price point for the games. The Wii saw the same thing thanks to being easy to port games to (Godfather, Bully, Okami, Ghost Squad, etc), which partially made it successful. The WiiU just won't see the same kind of support.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Louisgod posted:

The PS2 and DS especially had a crazy amount of shovelware, mostly because they could be made on the cheap and sell enough to the established userbase to turn a profit. This is probably especially true for the DS thanks to the younger audience and cheaper price point for the games. The Wii saw the same thing thanks to being easy to port games to (Godfather, Bully, Okami, Ghost Squad, etc), which partially made it successful. The WiiU just won't see the same kind of support.

Basically whichever system is able to grab the widest audience earliest is bound to get more shovelware, since not only is there the most people to sell to but there's the greatest chance people will buy your game due to the "The Asylum" effect.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Yeah, the Wii U wishes it had shovelware. Shovelware is the sign of a healthy system.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I wonder if reducing the size of the gamepad might be an idea to lower costs, maybe to around the DS size. If it could cut costs it'd be a way to save money without giving the system a lobotomy. Than again with the unsold inventory they have out in the wild it may be awhile before such a move could even save them money?

As for a new CEO I'm not sure Nintendo has a Kaz waiting in the wings to take over like Sony did. The big key for Sony's turn around of the PS3 disaster was that Hirai understood the NA and European markets and was able to involve them in the PS3/PS4 going forward. I'm not sure Nintendo is willing or has anyone inside the company with the same experience. They could very well end up with a new CEO that doubles down on Nintendo's old strategy or even worse goes all in on Mobile like policies (Just on Nintendo hardware, which would be the worst of both worlds).

I mean lets not beat around the bush here, while the WiiU is the albatross around Nintendo's neck and the 3DS is a pretty good system there are issues with the handheld division. The net structure is still garbage and the OS is rear end. While it'll probably be good enough for the rest of this generation I'm not sure they can carry that over to the next handheld system. If they do they could fall into a Blackberry like free fall.

SatoshiMiwa fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 18, 2014

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Quest For Glory II posted:

I could see Nintendo not releasing another home console and only doing handhelds. I think they'll give it one more try in 2016.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Louisgod posted:

Nintendo will NOT develop games for other platforms, period, and people insinuating otherwise are dreaming and don't pay attention to Nintendo. The most you will see will be applications that open people up to Nintendo software or hardware (like Miiverse on mobile) but end result is if you want a genuine Nintendo experience, you'll have to buy their hardware.

They will not go third party, they will not make games for other platforms. As soon as they do, their homefield advantage is gone.

Miiverse or Pokedex on mobile doesn't seem like a life-saving idea, especially as an advertisement for Nintendo hardware. Most app stores don't let you mention rival platforms. I can't imagine Nintendo taking its IPs to the grave if things continue to go sour for them in the coming years.

I was surprised Iwata mentioned smartphones at all because it might suggest to people a lack of faith in the long-term future of the 3DS. I keep expecting Nintendo to issue a statement clarifying his comments since most of the press is taking them to mean that Nintendo is considering third-party smartphone games.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I wonder if reducing the size of the gamepad might be an idea to lower costs, maybe to around the DS size. If it could cut costs it'd be a way to save money without giving the system a lobotomy. Than again with the unsold inventory they have out in the wild it may be awhile before such a move could even save them money?

I'm gonna go with no for a variety of reasons. Reducing the size of electronics generally makes them more expensive, not cheaper, they'd have to create a smaller screen with a higher dpi, they'd have to invest in more R&D, they'd have to vye with other companies for the materials for other degices that may be more profitable.. I think there are just too many variables that keep that being a realistic move, including that it doesn't solve for the need they're trying to fix.

E:

Toady posted:

Miiverse or Pokedex on mobile doesn't seem like a life-saving idea, especially as an advertisement for Nintendo hardware. Most app stores don't let you mention rival platforms. I can't imagine Nintendo taking its IPs to the grave if things continue to go sour for them in the coming years.

I was surprised Iwata mentioned smartphones at all because it might suggest to people a lack of faith in the long-term future of the 3DS. I keep expecting Nintendo to issue a statement clarifying his comments since most of the press is taking them to mean that Nintendo is considering third-party smartphone games.

I agree about Miiverse and the like on phones and whatnot not being life-saving deals but I think that, at the most, is what you'll see Nintendo do to "branch out". Considering everything they've said over the years, I'm convinced Nintendo would rather bring their IPs to the grave than have them appear on other consoles. I think at the absolute worse you'll see Nintendo focus exclusively on their handheld division, which I feel can be propped up with their IPs alone, regardless of how lovely the hardware is.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 18, 2014

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

^ I wouldn't worry about finding a smaller but same resolution screen, it's pretty old tech in the dpi stakes. In fact the whole thing is pretty old tech and wouldn't be more expensive to make smaller; the case is mostly empty.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

A smaller screen wouldn't save a meaningful amount of money, plus when touchscreen controls have been designed around a particular size screen, going a lot smaller wouldn't always work well.

The GamePad is already cheap to make for a 'tablet' (~$80 total, probably?) but that is 1/3ish of the Wii U's overall cost to Nintendo and kinda rules out a price cut to $199. Or $249, probably.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Craptacular! posted:

Don't know about this. Microsoft really wants the 360 dead and in the past as quickly as possible.

quote:

Just because the Xbox One is Microsoft's focus going forward does not mean the company is abandoning the Xbox 360 anytime soon. Microsoft chief marketing and strategy officer Yusuf Mehdi said this week that the platform will be supported through at least 2016.

"If you look at [Xbox 360], that platform lasted for seven to eight years and it's going to go for another three years," Mehdi said this week during the Citi Global Technology Conference. "It's incredibly profitable now in the tail."

Mehdi explained that the arrival of the Xbox One is not a death knell for the Xbox 360 by any stretch, noting that Microsoft plans to ship over 100 new games for the system.

"We are going to continue to invest in Xbox 360 and the two devices can work in concert. So it isn't like the day we ship the Xbox One your [Xbox 360] won't work," Mehdi said. "We will continue to support it. In fact, we're going to ship over one hundred new games on Xbox 360. So you'll be able to still play your games, just not on the same exact box."

If MS wants the 360 dead as soon as possible, publicly pledging an additional 3 years of support sure is a weird way of expressing that.

They killed off the original Xbox very quickly, but that was in part because it was so far eclipsed by PS2 and they wanted to move forward. In this round, they're probably much more likely to take Sony's attitude for PS2 when PS3 was coming, with the PS2 providing Sony with an additional revenue streams even though it wasn't a true focus for them. Sony actually only discontinued the PS2 in very late 2012.

Those cross-gen games will probably be there for another year, maybe two, and then it'll fall to the realm of just things like EA making sports games for it.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

You're absolutely kidding yourself if you think any other given system isn't filled to the brim with shovelware at 3:1 or greater ratios. The Wii had a drought of games in general but there is a lot of trash released for every system on the market.

I'm saying the wii's library wasn't just filled with shovelware, I was saying it was filled with a ton of no-effort games that were below the ranks of shovelware. :colbert:

Novelty poo poo like Dragon's Lair, Mad Dog McCree, and NY Gunblade is one thing, but then there's stuff that has no redeeming value whatsoever. I mean geez look at the Heathcliff game.

http://www.amazon.com/Heathcliff-The-Fast-Furriest-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B003OQ2ZPU

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 18, 2014

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For me, the important thing for a game console is to have a lot of options in AAA and indie titles to choose from. The Wii and Wii U doesn't have that. As far as quality goes, even on the PS3 and Xbox 360, the majority of even the critically acclaimed games on those systems were average at best. People just have really low standards when it comes to what a good game really is.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'm saying the wii's library wasn't just filled with shovelware, I was saying it was filled with a ton of no-effort games that were below the ranks of shovelware. :colbert:

Novelty poo poo like Dragon's Lair, Mad Dog McCree, and NY Gunblade is one thing, but then there's stuff that has no redeeming value whatsoever. I mean geez look at the Heathcliff game.

http://www.amazon.com/Heathcliff-The-Fast-Furriest-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B003OQ2ZPU

As unintuitive as it sounds, games like those are a sign your console is healthy. The three most successful consoles ever - PS2, DS and Wii - had those games in droves because developers saw the console as a venture they can make money. Again, the WiiU can only wish it gets the shittiest of the poo poo in the quantity the others did.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

thefncrow posted:

If MS wants the 360 dead as soon as possible, publicly pledging an additional 3 years of support sure is a weird way of expressing that.

They killed off the original Xbox very quickly, but that was in part because it was so far eclipsed by PS2 and they wanted to move forward. In this round, they're probably much more likely to take Sony's attitude for PS2 when PS3 was coming, with the PS2 providing Sony with an additional revenue streams even though it wasn't a true focus for them. Sony actually only discontinued the PS2 in very late 2012.

Those cross-gen games will probably be there for another year, maybe two, and then it'll fall to the realm of just things like EA making sports games for it.

Does the 360 even have any exclusives on the horizon? Or will they all be multiplat titles and watered down versions of xbone games?

Then again, did the wii have any exclusive titles come out after the wii u launched? I assume yes, but I'm not sure.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Louisgod posted:

He sad will never, not has never. It was a very different time back then.

Nintendo will NOT develop games for other platforms, period, and people insinuating otherwise are dreaming and don't pay attention to Nintendo. The most you will see will be applications that open people up to Nintendo software or hardware (like Miiverse on mobile) but end result is if you want a genuine Nintendo experience, you'll have to buy their hardware.

They will not go third party, they will not make games for other platforms. As soon as they do, their homefield advantage is gone.

Nintendo is an entity that exists to return value to shareholders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Does the 360 even have any exclusives on the horizon? Or will they all be multiplat titles and watered down versions of xbone games?

The latter.

Which, looking at how GT6 has done on the PS3 so far, seems like a great decision.

Louisgod posted:

As unintuitive as it sounds, games like those are a sign your console is healthy. The three most successful consoles ever - PS2, DS and Wii - had those games in droves because developers saw the console as a venture they can make money. Again, the WiiU can only wish it gets the shittiest of the poo poo in the quantity the others did.

Technically the most successful consoles ever are the PS2, DS, and PS1 :science:

You are right though, having games of all levels of quality is definitely a good sign for a console.

• Locked thread