Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Well, Lana Skye is not around anymore, so she can't really be an asset. I think there are rumours floating around she's supposed to be dead. Oh, and the Magatama can be fooled by halftruth. In 2-4 Engarde didn't killed anyone after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

surf rock posted:

Anyone else notice just how stacked Phoenix's law firm anything agency is by this point? Just think about this roster (I won't spoil this part, since it doesn't have much to do with AA:DD, but novices to the series probably shouldn't continue reading):

- Phoenix Wright, pretty much flawless defense record, holder of a magical item that literally lets him see when people are keeping secrets.
- Apollo Justice, excellent defense record, holder of a magical bracelet that literally lets him discern when people are lying.
- Athena Cykes, psychologist lawyer with super-hearing who can literally hear people's emotions and who has a technological marvel to hone that ability.
- Trucy Wright, only like the greatest magician in the world.
- Charley, veteran house plant
:colbert:
:colbert:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

surf rock posted:

- Apollo Justice, excellent defense record, holder of a magical bracelet that literally lets him discern when people are lying.

Excuse me, the bracelet is not magical, Apollo has good eyesight and the bracelet is there to help him concentrate at the right time.
:goonsay:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Amppelix posted:

Excuse me, the bracelet is not magical, Apollo has good eyesight and the bracelet is there to help him concentrate at the right time.

Excuse me, then how does he get it on if it is supposed to fit perfectly around his wrist? :colbert:

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

True dat. Although not being able to examine literally every background while investigating in AA5 really sped things up, I wish we could've at least investigated the office. How am I supposed to focus on the case if I don't know if Charley's getting watered or if Mia's law books are getting ignored?

It's also criminal that we haven't had a case based around one of Trucy's magic acts yet. All we ever see are her "magic panties" disappearing tricks.

Has there been any indication from Capcom that an AA6 is in the pipeline? There were a bunch of hints near the end about Maya's training wrapping up soon, which felt like a sequel tease.

Also, Apollo is bullshit and therefore his super-eyesight is bullshit. The magical bracelet is slightly less bullshit because I suppose someone other than Apollo could wear it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm pretty sure he's supposed to wear it around the clock his entire life. At least, thats what I've always just assumed.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

surf rock posted:

Has there been any indication from Capcom that an AA6 is in the pipeline? There were a bunch of hints near the end about Maya's training wrapping up soon, which felt like a sequel tease.

Yep, it's already begun:
http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/12/27/capcom-developers-tease-new-games-to-be-announced-next-year-new-ace-attorney-in-the-works/

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013

Amppelix posted:

At the end of Ace Attorney 4, didn't Shadi Smith/Zak Gramarye tell Phoenix the bracelet is made out of some fictional material that expands and contracts based on how tense the wearer is feeling, and that it only works if a member of the Gramarye family is wearing it?

That's some magical bullshit right there.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

PassingPie posted:

At the end of Ace Attorney 4, didn't Shadi Smith/Zak Gramarye tell Phoenix the bracelet is made out of some fictional material that expands and contracts based on how tense the wearer is feeling, and that it only works if a member of the Gramarye family is wearing it?

That's some magical bullshit right there.

It doesn't expand/contract, it just "uses body heat" or some bullshit to contract to fit the wrist exactly.

The magic is the wearer tensing up when someone lies and because the bracelet is already so tight, they notice it. Also, Apollo was somehow able to put his bandages on under it.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kazy posted:

Also, Apollo was somehow able to put his bandages on under it.

He's fine.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Have I missed something? I can't find this game for sale on any swedish online retailer. :negative:

EDIT: The oldest of SA cliches, thanks anyways.
VVVV

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 21, 2014

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Xoidanor posted:

Have I missed something? I can't find this game for sale on any swedish online retailer. :negative:

Cake Attack posted:

I repeat, the game is digital download only. A physical release just wouldn't have been profitable for Capcom.

No one reads the OP.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Japan is getting a 3DS compilation of AA1-3. Not entirely sure, but it looks like they might be upgrading all the visuals to the 3D style of the latest game.

http://www.vooks.net/phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-trilogy-collection-coming-3ds-japan/

I really hope it comes out in Western areas, even just as a digital download.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So now Phoenix Wright has been released on the GBA, the DS and the 3DS.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hedrigall posted:

Japan is getting a 3DS compilation of AA1-3. Not entirely sure, but it looks like they might be upgrading all the visuals to the 3D style of the latest game.

http://www.vooks.net/phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-trilogy-collection-coming-3ds-japan/

I really hope it comes out in Western areas, even just as a digital download.

I thought they were just adding a 3D effect and not actually overhauling it?

ImpAtom posted:

So now Phoenix Wright has been released on the GBA, the DS and the 3DS.

Don't forget Wii and iOS. :v:

Edit: VVV I know, I'm crushed too that the possibility probably isn't even on the cards for Capcom. :argh:

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 22, 2014

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

ChaosArgate posted:

I know this is probably what they were talking about but I hate you for briefly making me consider how awesome it would be if they actually remade the trilogy in the AA5 engine.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

ChaosArgate posted:

Don't forget Wii and iOS. :v:

I am totally going to forget about the iOS release. :colbert:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Fedule posted:

I know this is probably what they were talking about but I hate you for briefly making me consider how awesome it would be if they actually remade the trilogy in the AA5 engine.

If they even added the anime cutscenes and everything, I would change my paycheck to direct deposit to Capcom to see Bridge to the Turnabout in the new engine.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Trailer for the compilation is up. Looks like they're using the iOS graphics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPmZlk7oOOM

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
They also have new artwork for the compilation. This is apparently the standard edition boxart:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Pearls' crystal ball :allears:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Fedule posted:

Pearls' crystal ball :allears:

It's a Steel Samurai ball, of course. Oh man, and Gumshoe chasing Larry. :allears:

As good as DD was, I don't think they'll ever top the original trilogy for me. Maybe if Maya's back for the next one I can forgive them, but I just fell in love with the original crew. Spirit Mediums fo lyfe.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I wonder if everyone is going to have their animation frames back. :ohdear:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Behonkiss posted:

Trailer for the compilation is up. Looks like they're using the iOS graphics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPmZlk7oOOM

Aw, man.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
My sister, who's a huge huge fangirl of the series, texted me that trailer with "EXCITED YET?!?" I don't have the heart to tell her the iOS graphics made my heart sink instead of rejoice. :smith:

Hopefully they'll just use the DS script files for the English translation. I mean...that has to be easier than rewriting it or pulling it from the iOS version, right?

Diamond Joe Biden
Dec 29, 2009

by Cowcaster
I didn't realize so many people hated the iOS graphics, most of the sprites look really nice on the iPhone at least (although there are admittedly a few funky ones). Not that it makes up for literally everything else about the port, but still.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
The sprites themselves aren't awful, but they do seem oddly rougher than the original sprites, and there is the whole missing frames of animation thing.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Beyond the missing frames, the iOS port was a glitchy catastrophe complete with game ending bugs and added typos not even present in the originals. I can only hope the new combo pack fixes all of that. It would be nice if they revamped all the music for the new hardware too, but now I'm just getting crazy.

CommonSensei
Apr 3, 2011
One difference at least is that the sprites for people in that trailer were blinking, whereas I don't think they did in the iOS version.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
They didn't allow for blinking because they only had two frames for most poses. It made for some "stellar" animation:

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
I'd love to get my hands on the original trilogy again, since I gave my copies of the DS games to a friend. But I'm enamoured with the sprite style of those games, and more forgiving of the clunky animation as a result. Seeing the same animations upscaled just really highlights how clunky they are, and I'm not all that fond of the rendering. I'd be pretty peeved if Gyakuten 123 is just iOS 123 with like three layers of depth. However the alternative is expecting Capcom to recreate all three games using the Dual Destinies format which is unreasonable and time-consuming. The alternative alternative is Capcom recreating the first game using the Dual Destinies format and putting it on the eShop, a similar test to see if people respond favorably to it and the idea of DD'ing the next two games.

Also my mind inexplicably links the idea of HD/iOS sprites to Phoenix Drive of all things. It's probably to do with the fact they had to use CG for it?

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Suspicious Cook posted:

It would be nice if they revamped all the music for the new hardware too, but now I'm just getting crazy.

From the music in the trailer, it sounds like they're doing just that. Personally, I hope they improve on the UI. They should make it like DD and let you skip text from the start.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I hope they use the original sound bites. I didn't like the new Phoenix at all, even if he's only saying like 3 words.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Holy poo poo, you guys weren't kidding about Case 5 being a rollercoaster even though I think I had the villain reveal spoiled. I haven't even finished it yet, but so far, wow.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So someone who doesn't know anything about the iOS port why is it bad?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The new sprites look ugly and dont have as much animation, and it uses a whole new translation that sucks dicks.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Amppelix posted:

I know people always said that the HD trilogy sucks, don't buy it. Well, I thought, how bad can it be?

I stumbled upon the answer: http://i.imgur.com/T62nbpS.jpg (AA1 spoilers)

The HD trilogy sucks. Don't buy it.

I'm especially fond of Damon Gant, the killer you!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

They really hosed up with the translation at some points. 1-5 got the worst of it, as far as I can remember, but I do remember the Court Record bugging out and showing details for the wrong items/profiles on more than a few occasions.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Gutcruncher posted:

The new sprites look ugly and dont have as much animation, and it uses a whole new translation that beats rod until a tank empties.

Fixed that for you. No thanks necessary.

Amppelix posted:

I know people always said that the HD trilogy sucks, don't buy it. Well, I thought, how bad can it be?

I stumbled upon the answer: http://i.imgur.com/T62nbpS.jpg (AA1 spoilers)

The HD trilogy sucks. Don't buy it.

I'm especially fond of Damon Gant, the killer you!

Personally, I like how Ron's wallet leaves a record any time it's used. Dessie must really have him on a short leash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is the DLC case worth it?

I beat the main game but I'm fairly broke right now with losing my job and all, but the high praise sounds like it'd be a fun distraction.

• Locked thread