Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
"No Programs"? What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
If Dennis Ritchie had not existed, no one would have ever invented a programming language ever.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
Without Dennis Ritchie, you would be reading this in binary.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

He's right, but probably only on accident. The animals he's talking about are known as dogs, cats, and other domesticated animals. Most of which were deliberately engineered either to look a certain way or to do a certain thing (sometimes while also looking a certain way) by dudes a long (and some times not so long) time ago. They might not have known they were scientists, but it's technically science to pick out animals that could bone and a make a better animal.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Morkyz posted:

Without Dennis Ritchie, you would be reading this in binary.

01001100 01101111 01001100

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Modern Day Hercules posted:

He's right, but probably only on accident. The animals he's talking about are known as dogs, cats, and other domesticated animals. Most of which were deliberately engineered either to look a certain way or to do a certain thing (sometimes while also looking a certain way) by dudes a long (and some times not so long) time ago. They might not have known they were scientists, but it's technically science to pick out animals that could bone and a make a better animal.

Not any of those animals though, it's things like lamprey, blobfish, maned wolf. All distinct species. He thinks we made them.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Parkingtigers posted:

01001100 01101111 01001100

That says "lol" doesn't it?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Picnic Princess posted:

Not any of those animals though, it's things like lamprey, blobfish, maned wolf. All distinct species. He thinks we made them.

For values of "we" that are probably "wizard-mages of Atlantis" or "ancient astronauts" or "the Illuminati," though.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Aerdan posted:

As one of the more technically-proficient people I know (in person, anyway), I want to punch the guy who made this image in the face. :sigh:

The part about "we'd be reading this in binary" is pretty obvious hyperbole but C and UNIX are both incredibly important inventions. C is the Latin of programming languages, only even more prolific in terms of how modern languages are structured (seriously, find me a modern programming language that looks like COBOL). The UNIX operating system has created a set of standards and concepts that are used in the majority of all computers today. The only computers out there that don't run a UNIX-like OS are Windows PCs and certain embedded systems like the computer in your coffee maker or your graphing calculator. Everything else, from Google's server farms to your iPhone, runs an OS built on UNIX, or a UNIX-like OS like Linux.

Steve Jobs, while never inventing anything on his own, certainly did popularize many concepts, like the graphical user interface, portable MP3 players, and the current smartphone paradigm. The difference is is that while if not for Dennis Ritchie we'd have no UNIX or C, we can't say the same thing about Steve Jobs and no GUI or portable MP3 players.

Really the issue is that Steve Jobs is hailed as this amazing inventor and innovator, where he never really invented anything, he was just a shrewd and charismatic businessman. If Dennis Ritchie is a Thomas Edison, then Steve Jobs is a Henry Ford.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Segmentation Fault posted:

The part about "we'd be reading this in binary" is pretty obvious hyperbole but C and UNIX are both incredibly important inventions. C is the Latin of programming languages, only even more prolific in terms of how modern languages are structured (seriously, find me a modern programming language that looks like COBOL). The UNIX operating system has created a set of standards and concepts that are used in the majority of all computers today. The only computers out there that don't run a UNIX-like OS are Windows PCs and certain embedded systems like the computer in your coffee maker or your graphing calculator. Everything else, from Google's server farms to your iPhone, runs an OS built on UNIX, or a UNIX-like OS like Linux.

Steve Jobs, while never inventing anything on his own, certainly did popularize many concepts, like the graphical user interface, portable MP3 players, and the current smartphone paradigm. The difference is is that while if not for Dennis Ritchie we'd have no UNIX or C, we can't say the same thing about Steve Jobs and no GUI or portable MP3 players.

Really the issue is that Steve Jobs is hailed as this amazing inventor and innovator, where he never really invented anything, he was just a shrewd and charismatic businessman. If Dennis Ritchie is a Thomas Edison, then Steve Jobs is a Henry Ford.

Didn't Edison steal a bunch of poo poo from Tesla?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Maybe? I honestly don't know too much about that. That metaphor was really meant to illustrate that Ritchie was an inventor and creator, while Jobs was a merchant and businessman.

gobboboy
Jun 5, 2006

The pride of PITR

Segmentation Fault posted:

The irony of this is hilarious.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
Yeah, can you believe he totally left out the obligatory Tesla worship? Haha, what a n00b.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
oh no an analogy didnt work right my entire argument is destroyed

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Edison himself didn't. In reality they had no animosity towards each other, and Edison respected Tesla as an engineer.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I've think I've found the creepiest person ever

This guy has posted this on literally every comment that this person has left in the last few weeks. Its either some strange joke I'm not getting, or someone both desperate and not listening...

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

The amount of white people complaining about Richard Sherman on social media right now is AMAZING. Wow.

Douginc
Mar 25, 2009

Orgophlax posted:

The amount of white people complaining about Richard Sherman on social media right now is AMAZING. Wow.

I don't know how to use Twitter, but I'm fascinated, any chance you could post the highlights? Black man is proud of himself and outward about it, he must be a terrible human being.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Douginc posted:

I don't know how to use Twitter, but I'm fascinated, any chance you could post the highlights? Black man is proud of himself and outward about it, he must be a terrible human being.

Haven't done any in-depth looking yet, I'm just going by all the people I follow on Twitter & Facebook. I'll try to get some if I get the chance.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

I'm sorry, I guess I should've unpacked a little. I want to punch the guy who made that image in the face because there's a lot more nuance involved in being angry at Jobs being recognized and Ritchie not than can be put into a crappy image macro. And it would've been a lot less douchey to just make an image macro praising Ritche.

Why is it that people feel the need to poo poo on someone while they're trying to raise awareness for, and recognition of, another person and their achievements? This isn't the first time, either; see also the Irina Sendler vs Al Gore image macro and variants thereof.

e: I do appreciate that you educated the rest of the thread, though; great work. :)

Aerdan has a new favorite as of 05:14 on Jan 20, 2014

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I don't care about this game, but I figure it'd be a good opportunity to remind y'all that I'm still a racist." :haw:

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

This is the from Sherman thread in Football Funhouse:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Richard Sherman graduated from Stanford.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

zakharov posted:

Richard Sherman graduated from Stanford.

Well that just shows how worthless that liberal book-learnin' is, if even a ghetto thug can do it. :smug:+

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

IceAgeComing posted:

I've think I've found the creepiest person ever

This guy has posted this on literally every comment that this person has left in the last few weeks. Its either some strange joke I'm not getting, or someone both desperate and not listening...

I don't know what's better, the fact that he hits on her like I imagine a robot would or the fact that he seems oblivious to how ominous the "I have a soundproof basement" thing sounds. I know what he was really getting at, but drat that just sounds like he's bragging about his rape dungeon.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
Ah yes, I see you are becoming an old human female. Are you up for some sexual intercourse?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
This is my second or third cousin and possible mother of the year. :thumbsup:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
How old is the person in the photo? Because holy poo poo, machete wound.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Not 100% sure but in the 11-13 year old range I believe.

uptown
May 16, 2009
"Ok honey, let mommy take a picture for the Internet before we drive to the ER."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Cutting a limb off of a bigger limb." drat near did.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

It's not my fault your high school didn't require economics or government classes, buddy.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

This guy is a nurse who I used to work with on a cardiac unit before he got fired for reasons. He now works somewhere else and also teaches nursing students at the local community college on the side. :gonk:

He posts hateful right wing poo poo all the time but this is a whole new level of stupid for him. He should know better.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Aerdan posted:

It's not my fault your high school didn't require economics or government classes, buddy.

Well there's a legit issue in that a lot of people do not receive sufficient financial education in High School, but yeah that's a bit... Special.

Plus the Pythagorean theorem is actually useful if you're doing anything involving vectors in post-secondary education so it's a pretty bad example.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Aerdan posted:

What school did he go to? I remember learning all those in high school.

Flaggy has a new favorite as of 15:34 on Jan 20, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Man it's gonna take a long rear end loving time to get a cup each of ginger and garlic juice together.

e: I think that is actually just a marinade

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

roboshit posted:

This guy is a nurse who I used to work with on a cardiac unit before he got fired for reasons. He now works somewhere else and also teaches nursing students at the local community college on the side. :gonk:

He posts hateful right wing poo poo all the time but this is a whole new level of stupid for him. He should know better.

I was so hoping it was going to end with "Now submerge your heart in the mixture and give it a good slosh around"

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Aerdan posted:

I'll be honest, I think a lot of schools don't do this well enough. We learned basic stuff like how to balance a chequebook (so useful) and how to work out interest (all covered in Home Economics of all classes) but it would have been good to know about tax codes, how the tax system works or about any form of taxation other than VAT. So I don't have to explain flat-rate vs progressive tax levels to 23 year olds.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I think the job of teaching life skills like that is supposed to be on the parents.

Raise your hand if you can see the problems with this system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Doesn't every polling place ever teach you how to vote?

• Locked thread