Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

Man! Patrick saying on Twitter that Dark Souls is one of the best games he's ever played is crazy. It'd be funny if the GotY deliberations just ended up being everyone vs. Jeff for DS2.

Dark Souls is weird, I've never seen such a slow, unstoppable burn on a game before. It came out in 2011 and it's more popular today than it was when it was when it first came out.

I think Dark Souls 2 is actually gonna

1) Sell really well
2) Disappoint a lot of people just because of the hype building around it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
It is definitely going to disappoint. I can see it now. There is so much hype around 1. I don't even get it, I don't think it is that great really. Good, but nowhere near the level it has been lauded to.

E: I still think it will be a pretty slow burn tho. How many people only played 1 because it was on sale on Steam, for example?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Cityinthesea posted:

This is a weird question but when they were complaining about Far Cry 3's story (more specifically it's ending), does anyone know what exactly they wanted? Sure it wasn't the greatest ending in the world or anything but I dunno it seemed fine to me.
The game massively hints towards a Fight Club/CoD: Blops twist and then never does it. And like others said, their whole story and marketing was about Vaas and then they kill him off (poorly) in the middle and give you another bad guy to fight.

Also regardless of set up expectations, the ending is incredibly terrible and insulting and made me ashamed of video game stories in the same year The Walking Dead came out. That's hosed up.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Going back through the last few pages, so some of these posts might be a little old...

Yodzilla posted:

What? I thought the voice work in Dark and Demons Souls was universally lauded. It's just so depressing and appropriate and unique for a very Japanese company to go straight to English instead of translating anything from Japanese.
Didn't Nier do this too? Or at the least, they wrote the Japanese and English scripts simultaneously. I know the 8-4 guys who did it have talked about the process in the past, but I can't remember if it was on a podcast or some random NeoGAF post.

Manatee Cannon posted:

If Rockstar cared about PC gaming we'd have a port of Red Dead and GTA5 by now.
Red Dead is a spaghetti code nightmare that only runs on the consoles through a mixture of miracles and human sacrifice. GTA5 is coming, probably in March or thereabouts, and based on the leaked bug reports, it'll probably have some form of next-gen stuff (DX11 and 64-bit, at least).

Another Person posted:

It is definitely going to disappoint. I can see it now. There is so much hype around 1. I don't even get it, I don't think it is that great really. Good, but nowhere near the level it has been lauded to.
A good chunk of the Dark Souls fanbase seem to be a teensy bit on the unstable side (that reaction to the dude who warned Brad about GFW saves a few days ago as an example), and Namco have made an active attempt to advertise the game to people who aren't Souls Faithful, so there'll probably be a lot of screaming about how From Software has hosed the pooch and how Miyazaki shouldn't have stepped away from the series and so on and so forth no matter how well it turns out. (It'll turn out pretty well, I'm guessing.)

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Oh yeah, it will probably turn out to still be pretty good regardless of reception. I'm just not sure it will meet the expectations set for it. I imagine it will be more of the same as 1, just as he transition from Demon Souls to Dark Souls went. Not sure everyone will be happy for that. It certainly won't 'revolutionise' minds like 1 did, because that revolution already happened in their mind when they played 1. 2 cannot reproduce that effect in the same way.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Dark Souls is weird, I've never seen such a slow, unstoppable burn on a game before. It came out in 2011 and it's more popular today than it was when it was when it first came out.

I think Dark Souls 2 is actually gonna

1) Sell really well
2) Disappoint a lot of people just because of the hype building around it

It's not going to sell really well, I wish people would stop thinking this. Its going to sell well to people that read threads like this, but nobody else cares. Yeah, its a great game series, but that doesn't push sales in the real world. It'll have lovely marketing, maybe some magazine spreads that nobody subscribes to anymore and a few TV spots and I'll be able to buy it for $30 quicker than I could Hitman or Tomb Raider. I mean, poo poo, they couldn't even find somebody who speaks English to promote it at E3.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I think it'll sell 900K in the first month. Maybe, depends on how soon the PC version releases.

Whether or not it'll disappoint though, man. Maybe? Epic Name Bro said it's better than 1, but how much can you trust a huge fanboy who gets to play the game before launch? I didn't hear people be disapointed in the beta though, but the footage I've seen from that and TGS always seemed a bit... Off.

edit: Also apparently no one is buying last-gen games now so that's a factor.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Arms_Akimbo posted:

It's not going to sell really well, I wish people would stop thinking this. Its going to sell well to people that read threads like this, but nobody else cares. Yeah, its a great game series, but that doesn't push sales in the real world. It'll have lovely marketing, maybe some magazine spreads that nobody subscribes to anymore and a few TV spots and I'll be able to buy it for $30 quicker than I could Hitman or Tomb Raider. I mean, poo poo, they couldn't even find somebody who speaks English to promote it at E3.

Dark Souls 1 has sold more than 2 million units though. I mean, I guess it depends what you mean by "Really well" but 2 million is a lot more than I expect from only hardcore forum readers. Sony thought Demon Souls would be such a flop they didn't even bother releasing it outside of Japan, Atlus picked it up for them. It also sold something like 1/4th of what Dark Souls did outside of Japan, although obviously being PS3 exclusive had something to do with it... and that was considered a success.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Another Person posted:

I have some news that may shock and alarm you: different people like different things.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Mutation posted:

What is this based on?

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Jeff will also jump on the Souls bandwagon when DS2 comes out and removes animation priority.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

VDay posted:

What is this based on?
http://dailyglobe.com/41017/gamestop-2013-holiday-sales-up-9-3/

quote:

GamStop has revealed their holiday sales numbers, reporting a 9.3% increase over the holiday season in 2012.

The retailer’s total global sales for the holiday period, which ended on January 4, 2014, amounted to $3.15 billion. New game consoles like the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 helped drive sales and resulted in a 99.8% increase in new hardware sales. Used game, hardware and accessory sales were also up by 7%.

“Our outstanding execution during the holidays resulted in GameStop securing the number one market share position in the U.S. and in most of the countries in which we operate today,” said GameStop CEO Paul Raines. “GameStop also had the highest software and accessory attach ratio of any retailer for both new consoles.

“Building off this momentum, we are in an excellent position to drive the global adoption of the next generation of new video game products in 2014.”

Software sales for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 were down during this time, however, adding up to a 22.5% drop in sales. This unexpectedly huge percentage offset the strong performance shown by Microsoft and Sony’s new consoles.

“New software sales came in below our expectations,” said Chief Financial Officer Rob Lloyd. “Based on these results, GameStop now expects its fourth quarter and full year 2013 same store sales to be at the high end of the current guidance range.”

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mutation posted:

I think it'll sell 900K in the first month. Maybe, depends on how soon the PC version releases.

Whether or not it'll disappoint though, man. Maybe? Epic Name Bro said it's better than 1, but how much can you trust a huge fanboy who gets to play the game before launch? I didn't hear people be disapointed in the beta though, but the footage I've seen from that and TGS always seemed a bit... Off.

Having played the beta it really didn't seem off to me. The game plays exactly how a souls game should with some added convenience like having more than two weapon slots and dual wielding brings another fun play style into the mix to keep the combat and pvp interesting. The favorable reviews of sim cites beta caution me against making any definitive statements before a game is out but the two hours I played of it were some of the most fun I have ever had. The bosses were fun to fight, there was cool environmental things like breaking boards off windows to lighten darkened areas, and since so much fun in the souls games is exploring unknown areas just having new and well designed areas to explore will be funner than running through lordran or boletaria again and again.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Another Person posted:

Oh yeah, it will probably turn out to still be pretty good regardless of reception. I'm just not sure it will meet the expectations set for it. I imagine it will be more of the same as 1, just as he transition from Demon Souls to Dark Souls went. Not sure everyone will be happy for that. It certainly won't 'revolutionise' minds like 1 did, because that revolution already happened in their mind when they played 1. 2 cannot reproduce that effect in the same way.

I'm not sure why you think Dark Souls fans would be disappointed with more Dark Souls. No one's expecting a completely different game. Hell, if anything people have gotten worried that it'll be too different. Dark Souls but in a different place with slightly better gameplay and UI stuff is pretty much all I'm expecting and hoping for.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Another Person posted:

I'm just not sure it will meet the expectations set for it. Not sure everyone will be happy for that. It certainly won't 'revolutionise' minds like 1 did, because that revolution already happened in their mind when they played 1. 2 cannot reproduce that effect in the same way.
Who the hell expects that? That's a ridiculous expectation to have of anything.

quote:

I imagine it will be more of the same as 1, just as he transition from Demon Souls to Dark Souls went.
See, this is what i'm hoping for. Dark Souls 2 has some pretty big shoes to fill, i'm sure if it lives up to that and doesn't horribly gently caress up in some other way fans will get exactly what they want.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Yeah that sure isn't a surprise. 8 years is too drat long for a console cycle.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Eeeehhh, it's all just my opinion, I wouldn't think too deeply into it. I just happen to think people are waaaay too into it for the experience I have had. But as Noxville said, people have different opinions. I'm not going to ride you down for disagreeing with me about Souls, hahah.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

VDay posted:

I'm not sure why you think Dark Souls fans would be disappointed with more Dark Souls. No one's expecting a completely different game. Hell, if anything people have gotten worried that it'll be too different. Dark Souls but in a different place with slightly better gameplay and UI stuff is pretty much all I'm expecting and hoping for.

We might see the No Mutants Allowed effect. AKA fans so rabidly in love with previous entries in a series that nothing new will ever be good enough for them.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Higsian posted:

We might see the No Mutants Allowed effect. AKA fans so rabidly in love with previous entries in a series that nothing new will ever be good enough for them.

Dark Souls 1 to Dark Souls 2 is hardly the same radical change as Fallout 2 to Fallout 3.
Not to mention dark souls is still made by the same company and fans haven't had decades to let nostalgia entrench itself into their brains.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

To be fair, this isn't Fallout 3 (which was a good game, people are weird about it). It'll look pretty much like Dark Souls and play pretty much like Dark Souls. If people were gonna freak out over it it would have been with Dark Souls changing the name and publisher and all that. Unless it's really bad or they turn it into an RTS or something the people who like these games will probably continue to like them.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah I forgot to add in my post that there will definitely, inevitably be people who have their unreasonable, ridiculous expectations crushed because DS2 isn't the game they created in their minds, but that happens to every game. I'm just saying that (I think) the majority of people who seem way into Dark Souls would probably be pretty ok with Just More Dark Souls.

Obviously it's impossible to tell until the game's actually out, but I think the worst case scenario is that the game ends up being kind of bland with boring boss fights and a story that's not as good as DaS. If that's the case than the majority of people will play it, be disappointed, and then continue to be crazy about Dark Souls. I don't see there being some kind of mass hysteria when DS2 comes out and isn't very good. I can't wait to see if they actually manage to break into the mainstream market with DS2. It's always hard to gauge how many people actually know about something since internet chatter/hype doesn't actually mean anything in the real world most of the time.

Still, it's been awesome watching all these people that work in the video games industry come around on Dark Souls and in some cases get super into it, so if nothing else then at least Dark Souls 2 accomplished that already.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dark Souls 2 will definitely be a big seller. Probably the biggest FROM's ever had. The amount of hype surrounding the first game, not just from forum dudes, but the streaming community, and even the larger playerbase (reminder: they had Jessica Alba come out and unveil that thing at the VGAs) - I've had people who play one or two games at year come up and ask me what the hell was up with Dark Souls. It's practically an online phenomenon regardless of whether you've played it or not.

The first game's popularity skyrocketed largely on word of mouth alone. This time they have both that and a bigger marketing budget, unless it turns out bad, I guess. They're treating it like a AAA release, and it's probably the first really big one in 2014 (gently caress Thief, that poo poo is going to bomb hard). It's obviously not going to do Skyrim numbers or anything, but I expect it to do really well, especially in the long run.

Expectations are impossibly high, of course, but I think it'll meet them. If only from the fact that this probably won't be a rushed release like the first game was - which at the time I actually found fairly disappointing compared to Demon's Souls - and there'll be a huge community effort to seek out every secret, meaning the zeitgeist will probably be very pervasive for a while, and there'll be a ton of articles on gaming sites like You Won't Believe These 5 Things That Players Have Discovered In Dark Souls 2, etc.

Again, unless it's terrible.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I think it's pretty safe to say that DS2 will be pretty good. They have proven two times they know how to make these kind of games and everything so far seems to have also confirmed that it's more D___ Souls.

Hopefully it does super well so that FROM can then go make the kind of games that they really want to make which are mech games. Which are the games that I also want them to make. Dark Souls is ok and all but man high speed giant robot games that is where my heart truly belongs. Come on ACE:R2... I just want a sequel to ACE3. A post apocalyptic setting with giant robots from every major series from the late 90s? yes yes yes

randombattle fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jan 21, 2014

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

randombattle posted:

Hopefully it does super well so that FROM can then go make the kind of games that they really want to make which are mech games. Which are the games that I also want them to make. Dark Souls is ok and all but man high speed giant robot games that is where my heart truly belongs. Come on ACE:R2...

Man, they're already embracing the PC as a platform, put Armored Core on that sumbitch!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Dark Souls 1 has sold more than 2 million units though. I mean, I guess it depends what you mean by "Really well" but 2 million is a lot more than I expect from only hardcore forum readers. Sony thought Demon Souls would be such a flop they didn't even bother releasing it outside of Japan, Atlus picked it up for them. It also sold something like 1/4th of what Dark Souls did outside of Japan, although obviously being PS3 exclusive had something to do with it... and that was considered a success.

The idea that a game has to sell 6 million units in order to be barely profitable is poisonous and I'm disappointed that people believe it to be some kind of fundamental truth.

And who's expecting Dark Souls 2 to revolutionize anything? I've never seen anyone say that, even the most raging fanboys.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tir McDohl posted:

My favorite part about the Chrono Trigger ER was when they got all excited about having a flying time machine then thought they had to walk to their next destination and bitched the whole way there.
Mine was when World Revolution started playing in the final boss fight and you could hear them getting more and more jazzed up by it. Chrono Trigger has such an unbelievably good soundtrack, probably one of the best gaming has ever had.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Watching Game Room QuickLooks is the real endurance run.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Captain Invictus posted:

Mine was when World Revolution started playing in the final boss fight and you could hear them getting more and more jazzed up by it. Chrono Trigger has such an unbelievably good soundtrack, probably one of the best gaming has ever had.

Yasunori Mitsuda is fantastic composer. For all its faults (and there are many) Chrono Cross also had an amazing soundtrack. I like it better than Trigger's, even.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ595N9NZVg

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 21, 2014

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Fallom posted:

And who's expecting Dark Souls 2 to revolutionize anything? I've never seen anyone say that, even the most raging fanboys.

Some saw Dark Souls as a revolution almost in that it rejected a lot of modern standards or notions in gaming. It was a fresh breath of air. That, for a lot of people (from my reading on experiences) was a big part of the experience. Something so different to what they are used to, alien. That experience, whether you realise it after finishing the game or not (I believe you might be slightly less likely to remember how new it seemed after 60 hours of it), will still shape your opinions on it. I am not expecting DS2 to revolutionise anything, but to some people DS1 was a revolution to them. The experience of revolution, taking the standards of old game design and reviving and breathing new life into them in a way which rejects the modern, will not be repeated in the second. It is a weird thought, probably, and also probably not important in the grand scheme of DS2, but it is just one of my opinions.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Another Person posted:

It was a fresh breath of air. That, for a lot of people (from my reading on experiences) was a big part of the experience. Something so different to what they are used to, alien.
It's a third-person RPG where you have weights tied to all your extremities and you're made of paper-mache. Let's not go nuts here.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Eh, when I played it it felt like nothing I had played for years. I cannot even think of a direct contemporary or peer. The closest I can definitely come to is Spelunky maybe, which is a weird coincedence that Pat is also playing it now. The reactions of other people imply it is also a really weird experience to them too.

Not something new, but something different from the standard of the time. The controls are tight and require commitment to action. The story is presented in a minimalist manner, unlike other RPGs of the time. Scenarios require planning and can't really be just charged into, or can't be done expecting to win every time. A heavy focus on repetition. It is just something really different to its time, which it isn't really now, because Dark Souls already exists.

I ignore Demon Souls and do not make the comparison of Demon to Dark as I am Dark 1 to 2 because it did not reach the same wider audience that Dark Souls did, because of being limited to the PS3. It really limited the impact on a new experience that Dark had. Yeah, it had that experience to the Demon Souls players, but they were so few and many players of the Souls series entered on Dark.

E: Keep in mind this might turn out to be irrelevant and unimportant - it is just a small opinion I have come up with on the side. It probably won't matter at all.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 21, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Demon's Souls definitely had the long tail of popularity just like Dark though. People were "discovering" it through word of mouth and otherwise well after it was released and it sold a hell of a lot more than FROM was expecting.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Captain Invictus posted:

With the Chrono Trigger ER, you just can't allow yourself to be frustrated by Ryan's COMPLETE LACK OF ANY SENSE OF DIRECTION OR MEMORY. I swear, the dude walks into a room he was in 30 seconds prior and thinks its a new room.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

I loved Dark Souls and everything I've seen about the sequel looks great. It'd be completely unreasonable to expect them to re-invent the wheel a second time (technically third because of Demon's Souls) and I seriously doubt the majority of people looking forward to the sequel expect them to. I'm pretty sure most people are just hoping that they don't gently caress it up or change stuff drastically in the name of accessibility.

I mean it has a "2" tacked on right there. If you come into it expecting anything other than new content and some improvements and adjustments to the existing systems you're being unreasonable.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
I imagine it'll be a Borderlands 2 scenario where's it's pretty much the main game just heavily refined...without the obnoxious writing and meme based attempts at humor.

I just hope Namco isn't treating this like Square would where because they've been marketing it heavily they aren't expecting crazy sales in the first month because that's not going to happen in all likelihood.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Anybody else play the DS2 beta? It's more Dark Souls, and I think that's all they're really aiming for with some new tricks to trip up players that know the older games back and forth. I'm definitely excited for more souls but probably more interested in what the games end up inspiring in other developers. That has the potential for some innovation with the formula.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Theres still 10-20 times as many old consoles as new consoles. The 22.5% drop was probably more than what the xbone and ps4 sold combined.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

KoB posted:

Theres still 10-20 times as many old consoles as new consoles. The 22.5% drop was probably more than what the xbone and ps4 sold combined.

If it wasn't the new consoles making up for that drop, then how did Gamestop have a 9% increase in total sales over last year? Handhelds?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

wa27 posted:

If it wasn't the new consoles making up for that drop, then how did Gamestop have a 9% increase in total sales over last year? Handhelds?

Probably just hardware costing so much more than games.

I would also attribute the decline in previous gen title sales to the fact that most anything anyone wanted to play came out in october or november, so you'd need to know what Gamestop considers the "holiday." What really was there aside from CoD and AC4? This was a pretty lean year overall since everyone is trying to develop stuff for the new consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

wa27 posted:

9% in holiday sales compared to last holiday season when there was nothing new.

• Locked thread