Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Kimitsu posted:

Count me in on wanting to subject vibratingsheep to Tokimemo Girl's Side and reveling in the resulting reactions. Hell, I'll even be taking a trip to Japan soon, so I can help with procuring them.

I think you guys might be overestimating how aversely I'd react to a Girl's Side game. Honestly I'd like you guys to take that money and apply it to Video Repair Tool so I can recover the last 4 hours of my life and cut this useless MP4 into something I can screencap from :/

e: And to be perfectly honest I should just pay for the repair myself, I guess that's worth getting 4 hours of my life back at this point...
e2: God, it doesn't look like Video Repair Tool will help at all. ugggggggh I guess it's time to replay the last 6 months of this Yuina run. Next post on Sunday, sorry folks. Guess it's time to stop being a dinosaur and switch to OBS :/

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆

vibratingsheep posted:

I might consider a brief playthrough but nothing super thorough like this Shiori run. I am only one man, after all. And I don't have months to burn!

You're excused from pursuing the 'main' guys, since they are uniformly boring (not enough motorcycles).

Kimitsu posted:

To be fair, the teacher doesn't want to date you, so you do have to chase after him. (Also, the only present he accepts is homework.) On the other hand, the principal is ridiculous creepy.

Doesn't he only like quality homework too? Haha

ed:

vibratingsheep posted:

I think you guys might be overestimating how aversely I'd react to a Girl's Side game. Honestly I'd like you guys to take that money and apply it to Video Repair Tool so I can recover the last 4 hours of my life and cut this useless MP4 into something I can screencap from :/

If you can tell me how to give money to this cause, it shall be done.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE posted:

If you can tell me how to give money to this cause, it shall be done.

Nothing I tried worked, so I'm just recapturing footage right now. Dun worry 'bout it.

e: As an apology for the post being delayed because of the Xsplit crash, have an animated .gif.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 17, 2014

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

For video repair, have you tried using a tool intended for MPEG Transport Streams? I.e. one usually meant to deal with data captured from a digital tv receiver. Those are MPEG-packaged data that may naturally be corrupted due to the over-the-air nature, I think such a program might be able to recover your file.

Also check the size of the file you did end up having, and compare it to the size of other recordings. Does the size approximately match what you'd expect of a recording of the length you did?

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!
Are there any cameos from Tokimemo girls in the Girls Side games? If so that would be pretty sweet

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

cyxx posted:

Are there any cameos from Tokimemo girls in the Girls Side games? If so that would be pretty sweet

I don't recall any specific character cameos (the 2nd and 3rd Girl's Side games do make some callbacks to the first, though, which is fun - mostly characters showing up in the background art in 2, 3 goes a little deeper with 'em because it's at the same school as 1), but the secret character in the first is a student at Kirameki High. (Well, one of, the DS ports added a second secret character.)

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Is it too late to suggest challenges?

Opposite to the reload counter, I'd like to see how far you can get without reloading at all. I imagine you can blunder your way into somebody's heart, but I'm curious to see how a "pure" run goes.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Anoia posted:

Is it too late to suggest challenges?

Opposite to the reload counter, I'd like to see how far you can get without reloading at all. I imagine you can blunder your way into somebody's heart, but I'm curious to see how a "pure" run goes.

Other than to get footage after losing 6 game months of recordings, I have not had to reload in the Yuina run. I've even lost 4 days to getting rejected for dates and picked up Rei's present in the white elephant exchange... it really doesn't matter! Goon2 has the stats to beat the game as of November 5 of year 1. :wotwot:

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

vibratingsheep posted:

Hahaha, is making chocolate some kind of awful mini-game in the GS games? And I'm halfway willing to play the Girl's Side games, but largely unwilling to buy them for the purposes of LPing.

Thanks for reading!

Good news, I have all the Girls Side games and am willing to mail them to you if you are willing to mail them back when you are done with them. I see you do not have PMs, but you can email me at soiendure at gmail to arrange it up if you want.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Jenner posted:

Good news, I have all the Girls Side games and am willing to mail them to you if you are willing to mail them back when you are done with them. I see you do not have PMs, but you can email me at soiendure at gmail to arrange it up if you want.

What system are they for, again? PS2?

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
The three I have are for the Nintendo 3ds. Some versions have been released on the Playstation, I do not have those. The 3ds games have a few unique anime cutscenes that aren't in the Playstation releases.

As for how to take 3DS screenshots, Maple Leaf might be able to provide an in depth guide since s/he did the Kid Icarus: Uprising LP so well.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 18, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Jenner posted:

The three I have are for the Nintendo 3ds. Some versions have been released on the Playstation, I do not have those. The 3ds games have a few unique anime cutscenes that aren't in the Playstation releases.

As for how to take 3DS screenshots, Maple Leaf might be able to provide an in depth guide since s/he did the Kid Icarus: Uprising LP so well.

Didn't Maple Leaf use a hardware modification that cost a few hundred? I know Tae did for the Fire Emblem Awakening LP.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
They'd be regular DS games, not 3DS. So you could use an emulator to grab shots, so long as you have the game carts and feel morally right about it and stuff.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, at least the girl genius isn't trying to install cyberware in you when you join the club.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Glazius posted:

Well, at least the girl genius isn't trying to install cyberware in you when you join the club.

See, that would have some cool benefits. Assuming the teachers were storing grades in the computer yet at the time, a Decker could easily have the top score on every test.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Oh man this is awesome. :allears:

E: :haw:

The_Frag_Man fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 19, 2014

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Glazius posted:

What makes you think she isn't trying to slowly convince you that it was your idea before doing it?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

limaCAT posted:

What makes you think she isn't trying to slowly convince you that it was your idea before doing it?

Well, her being about as subtle as a laser to the face is one strike against that idea.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Yuina, Chapter 2: Enter the Archnemesis

This update is a little delayed due to the aforementioned Xsplit crash - I had to go back in time and replay just about 6 months worth of TokiMemo. So these events happen very slightly differently from how my current save game goes - I'll let you know the differences.

10/14: Culture Festival - computer club edition

Goon: Today's the culture festival.
Goon: The computer club is doing PC fortune telling in the exhibition room today. I should hurry and set up.

Yuina: Fortune-telling is such foolishness. Did you make this program?
Goon: Yeah, it predicts the compatibility of two people based on their blood types...
Yuina: I shall do a quick inspection of your work.
Goon: It's fine, you don't have to...
Yuina: Stop complaining and lend me your computer.
Goon: Yeah, yeah, please check out my program.
Yuina: I just enter the data here, yes?
Goon: Okay, so let's check my compatibility with you, Himoo-san.

* PC NMS_9000 *
Himoo Yuina Blood Type: A
Fudou Gundayu Blood Type: O

* PC NMS_9000 *
Now calculating...

* PC NMS_9000 *
Your compatibility is good.

Yuina: How did the program arrive at this conclusion?
Goon: Because our compatibility is good?
Yuina: That cannot possibly be right. Could it be anything other than a bug?
Goon: I, I can't deny that, but...
Yuina: Is it fun to make something like this?
Goon: Well, yeah, to a point...
Yuina: It must be nice to be so easily amused. I am envious.
Goon: Is, is that so...
Goon: (That's how the culture festival ended)

Amusingly, the day after the culture festival, I set up a date with Yuina at the arcade. This wasn't exactly a mistake, but...

10/15: Date with Yuina

Yuina: This kind of thing is worthless.
Goon: Option 1: S, so, do you wanna just go home?
Yuina: Good idea. Being here is just a waste of time.
Goon: (Eh.)

Yuina: My research has been delayed, but oh well.
Goon: Th, thanks... I think.
Yuina: We should head home, Gundayu-kun.

Yep. Doesn't like video games or non-useful things to do with computers. Oh well! Speaking of which, we fast-forward to:

12/9: Praised? by Yuina for a perfect week

Yuina: You seem to be assembling a worthless little program. Well, do your best.
Goon: Th, thanks, I will.
Goon: (Next time, I'll definitely surprise Himoo-san...)

Coincidentally, the day after this was a date with Yuina too.

12/10: Date with Yuina

Goon: Looks like they're doing a big clearance sale today.
Yuina: A huge sale, you say? This is the perfect time to stock up on supplies! Don't just stand there, give me a hand.
Goon: Y, yes ma'am.
Goon: (You don't have to be in such a hurry, they won't sell out...)

Yuina: This, and this! Everything is so cheap. I have to buy it all up.

I recognize a spark plug, some circuit board components, and uhhhhhhh

Goon: (Himoo-san, you look really scary when you're shopping.)

Yuina: I seem to have picked up quite the haul.
Goon: Yeah. Should we head home?
Goon: (Because I'm tired...)
Yuina: Not yet. It looks like there are other stores like this holding clearance sales.
Goon: Whaaaat? We're still going?
Yuina: Quit your grumbling and come with me.
Goon: Yeah, yeah...
Goon: (I want to go home...)

12/3ish: The Saki Tangent

At this point, I just want to go on an aside and mention how utterly normal Saki is compared to pretty much everyone else in this game. She consistently made #1 or #2 in the popularity polls back in the day, and it's pretty much based on being a very normal girl who would be fun to hang out with if she existed. Let's take a little more of a look at this! The day will look funny, but again, it's because I had to reload to recapture the footage. Rest assured, this did actually happen in chronological order this run.

Saki: Hmm?
Goon: What's wrong?
Saki: Do you think that kid's lost?
Goon: Yeah, you might be right.
Saki: I'll go talk to him.
Goon: Nijino-san sure is good at taking care of people.

Saki: This boy is definitely lost.
Goon: What should we do? Should we take him to the security office?
Saki: We should do that.
Lost child: Wahhhh, no no no no, I don't wanna go anywhere!
Goon: (What's with this ungrateful little brat?)
Saki: This could be a problem.
Goon: For sure. What should we do now?
Saki: How about I stay here and try to calm him down, while you go to the security office for him?
Goon: I guess there's no better way. I'll be right back.

PA: A lost child has been found in the shopping center.
Goon: (Whew... well, they announced it. I should head back to Nijino-san.)

Goon: Hmm? Where'd that brat--I mean where'd that kid go?
Saki: Right after the announcement, his mom came here to get him.
Goon: Oh, good.
Saki: Yeah, I'm really glad. Thanks for your help.
Goon: No, it was nothing.
Goon: (No one can say no to you, Nijino-san)

12/23: Date with Saki/show people what the Somersault movie looks like

Goon: (Somersault is an action movie that lets people see their favorite characters from a video game on screen in live action.)

Before you ask, yes. You can believe your eyes, that is actually a bison wearing boxer shorts fighting against a flash kicking penguin with Guile hair. Best part is?

Saki: That was really fun!

Most of the girls like it. Saki and Yuina both especially like action movies. Even Street Fighter: The Movie.

And before I forget, here is another thing about Saki that makes her really super-normal: in one of my footage reloads I decided to go ahead and invite Saki to Hatsumoude at the shrine.

Saki: What did you wish for?
Goon: It's a secret. You?
Saki: I wished for the baseball club to win and go to Koushien.

Really, really normal. And then, in this recaptured footage run, I accidentally triggered the delinquent fight with Saki while trying to get footage of that previous event in the shopping center. I might as well show you Saki's battle sprite and animation!

She's a white mage!

Okay okay okay I'll stop

Okay okay okay end Saki tangent, back to the main Yuina run.

1/1: Hatsumoude with Yuina

Goon: Himoo-san, are you free right now?
Yuina: I suppose you could call it that.
Goon: Then do you want to go to Hatsumoude with me?
Yuina: Very well, I shall accompany you.
Goon: Want to meet in front of the shrine?
Yuina: That is acceptable. See you soon.

Goon: Himoo-san doesn't look like she's here yet.
Yuina: Looks like I kept you waiting.
Goon: Shall we go pay our respects?
Yuina: I don't believe in any god, but I will go through the motions for now.

Remember - the only thing worth wishing for in TokiMemo 1 is good grades... so yes, that's what I wished for this time around.

Yuina: You must have wished for something trivial, yes?
Goon: It's, uh, it's a secret. What about you, Himoo-san?
Yuina: I did not wish for anything.
Goon: O... oh. Hey, want to go pull our fortunes?

In this run, I pulled daikichi, the best luck that can be pulled from a fortune.

Goon: (Awesome, I feel like good things are going to happen this year.)
Goon: Hey, look, I pulled daikichi!
Yuina: Good for you. It must be nice to believe in such things.
Goon: Y, yeah...

Yuina: I wonder if there's a god you can pray to for good luck in conquest...?
Goon: Hmm? Did you say something?
Yuina: No. We should head home.
Goon: Y, yeah, you're right.

1/28: Back to reality(?)

Yuina: What do you think of the koala we just saw?
Option 1: It's pretty cute.
Option 2: Its eyes are scary.
Option 3: It's really ugly.

For 90% of the cast, the choice here is 1. But Yuina is, of course, the 10%.

Goon: Option 2: Its eyes are scary.
Yuina: You can see its true colors!

She... she seems so happy about this.

2/14: Valentine's Day!

Ah, a nice calm Valentine's Day! No need for perfection, no worries about crazy girls sneaking up on the affection rankings, just...

Shiori: Gundayu-kun, I'd like you to come meet me behind the school.
Goon: Yeah, that's fine.
Shiori: Thanks. Come soon, okay?
Goon: (If it was chocolate she could've just handed it to me here... why was she acting so shy?)

Wait... why is Shiori blushing? And why is she asking Goon to come meet her behind the school? Only two things happen there, confessions and fights...

Goon: Hey Shiori, I'm here!
Goon: (Meeting me in a place like this... could it be... something more than chocolate?)
Shiori: Hey, there's a girl I'd like to introduce you to. Wait here for a second.
Goon: (Sigh... Shiori didn't want to talk to me herself. But who could she want to introduce me to?)

What... is this strangely familiar feeling?

Megumi: But I'm so embarrassed... I don't want to go through with this.
Shiori: What are you talking about? This is your chance! You have to have some courage.
Goon: (I can almost hear them talking over there...)

And why... why do I hear strings?

REE REE REE REE REE REE

Megumi: Um...
Goon: Y, yes?
Megumi: M, my name is Mikihara Megumi. P, please accept this...
Goon: Th, thanks.
Goon: I'll gladly acc... huh? She just ran away.

Shiori: Sorry, that girl is really shy.
Shiori: Meg, wait up!
Goon: (Shy, eh? But she was cute.)

Yuina's chocolate-giving habits are unchanged from the previous game, since she's still only at friendly status.

Saki: Here's your chocolate. I made it myself.
Goon: Oh, thanks.
Goon: (But it looks like everyone else got the same thing. It's definitely giri chocolate...)

2/18:

Note that this is not an accurate reflection of my current game state - this was all to get extra footage, which is why Saki is higher than Yuina. But DAMMIT Megumi! Why are you already in first place?! We just met yooouuuuuu

3/10: Back to Yuina

Yuina: That dolphin show we just watched. That obedience was so great to see.
Option 1: Dolphins sure are smart.
Option 2: Aren't dolphin teeth scary-looking?
Option 3: Dolphins are mammals.

Stop me if you've heard this before, but for 90% of the cast, option 1 is the best. Yuina is not 90% of the cast.

Goon: Option 2: Aren't dolphin teeth scary-looking?
Yuina: You really are looking at the important things, aren't you?
Goon: (Looks like I made a great impression!)

Welp.

3/14: White Day, Yuina edition

Goon: (Ooh, Himoo-san showed up at just the right time.)
Goon: Hey, Himoo-san.

Yuina: Gundayu-kun. Did you need something?
Goon: Here, take this. As thanks for Valentine's Day.
Yuina: That is an admirable attitude. I accept this gladly.
Goon: I'm glad you look so happy.
Yuina: I, I'm not happy at all. Excuse me...
Goon: (She seemed pretty panicked. But I'm glad I gave that to her.)

3/30: Goon's Birthday

(ding dong!)
Yuina: Ah, Gundayu-kun.
Goon: Hey, Himoo-san. What's up?
Yuina: Today is almost certainly your birthday. Here is your present.
Goon: Himoo-san, you got me a present?
Yuina: It's, it's just a little consideration for a future subordinate, is all.
Goon: (I'm such a lucky guy to get a present from Himoo-san!)

The game never tells you what Yuina gives you - you can leave it to your imagination!

4/4: Meet Yumi

Refer to Chapter 9 for the full version of this event.

4/7: Enter the Archenemy

Yuina: Whenever you go to the zoo, it always makes you want to do some experimental genetic engineering, doesn't it?
Goon: S, sure?
Goon: (I don't think that there's anyone who thinks that...)

Yuina: EEEEEK!
Goon: What's wrong, Himoo-san?!
Koala: :twisted:

Goon: What was with that koala?
Yuina: It must be a new kind of biological weapon. I don't know who ordered the attack, but if it is war they want, it is war they will get.
Goon: Um, Himoo-san? What are you talking about?
Yuina: Everyone who gets in my way must be crushed. Ah, I'm all fired up!
Goon: ...
Goon: (She isn't listening to a word I say.)

I would like to point out that this counts as a good date. Himoo Yuina, ladies and gentlemen.

So ends year 1 and begins year 2 - the year of the alien attack, among other things! It's also the year of the Ayako Tangent, so next time: the fabled beach episode, featuring a hydrophobe!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Yeah so Yuina is crazy.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah this blowing Shiori's route out of the water. Saki is more adorable than Shiori too.

Holy poo poo are those printer cables? The ones made before USBs became a thing? Man that takes me back.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

What have we done to garner the wrath of Megumi? :magical: Also Yuina really is just the best. :allears: Also, I take it we're gonna get glimpses of all of the other girls in this run as well?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Does anything prompt the koala attack, or does the game cut from the shot of Yuina standing in the zoo straight to the koala on Yuina'a back?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Maybe it's just because we went with the bland one last time, but Yuina's really putting the fire in this game.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

What have we done to garner the wrath of Megumi? :magical: Also Yuina really is just the best. :allears: Also, I take it we're gonna get glimpses of all of the other girls in this run as well?

Megumi showed up because Goon's Science and Art stats are high enough to get ~380+ on midterms. Le sigh! And no, not all the other girls - just Saki/Ayako/Miharu, probably (Did I mention that this run met Miharu in like August of year 1? I probably should have mentioned that... but you can see just how boring the route is)

sincx posted:

Does anything prompt the koala attack, or does the game cut from the shot of Yuina standing in the zoo straight to the koala on Yuina'a back?

Straight from standing in the zoo to the koala on her back giving her the business.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah this blowing Shiori's route out of the water. Saki is more adorable than Shiori too.

Holy poo poo are those printer cables? The ones made before USBs became a thing? Man that takes me back.

That's a SCSI cable.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

WickedHate posted:

Maybe it's just because we went with the bland one last time, but Yuina's really putting the fire in this game.

While Shiori's bonus events are pretty nice she is, in my opinion, the least interesting girl in the game. Yuina's on the other end of the scale compared to most/all of the other girls.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ardeem posted:

That's a SCSI cable.

Right, that's what it is. Man I don't think there is any ports even half that size on a modern day computer.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SSNeoman posted:

Right, that's what it is. Man I don't think there is any ports even half that size on a modern day computer.

DVI is still big-ish, and a fair few motherboards still have Parallel, but.. generally no.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

I keep voting 5, but this thread still isn't gold yet. :(

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

sincx posted:

I keep voting 5, but this thread still isn't gold yet. :(

59 votes, 4.72 average - I see the Gold icon now. Holy crap! Thanks, guys!

As a random note, KaneBlueRiver (the South American KoF/Marvel player) is going to start hand-translating TokiMemo 1 as a personal project to force himself to improve his Japanese, and asked me for help. Preeeetty cool. Nico's a bro.

Next post coming on Monday.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 23, 2014

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Yuina, Chapter 3: One Crazy Summer

Let's see, where were we..

Oh, right. So, back here in Tales of Easy Mode, we've pretty much fulfilled every game requirement by the time one year has completed. We only have two or three Yuina events left to get, and so it should be easy!

Except for the part where I started getting bored.

4/22: Yumi happens to have a pair of tickets to the baseball game.

Pretty convenient, so sure, let's say yes.

4/28: Baseball game with Yumi

It's totally normal to take your 6-year-old daughter to the park, right?

5/10: Saki wants to walk home together.

There shouldn't be any harm to it.

5/16: Meet Ayako

This can't possibly backfire!

5/16: Might as well walk with Megumi

5/19: DEAR GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE

It's fine. This is fine. It's just... time to reload a little bit, that's all.

RELOAD COUNT: 1

5/12: A walk in the park with Saki

Saki: It'd feel really good to run down a path as picturesque as this, don't you think?
Goon: Option 3: Yeah, it does seem like it'd feel great.
Saki: Right? We should run it together some time!
Goon: (Looks like I made a great impression.)

I'm not going to report every single date, since many of these are repeats, but this one does show a different Saki outfit, so I'll allow it.

5/19:

Ahhhh, much better. Still need to watch out for Shiori, though. Being able to ignore her for 3 months is convenient, but I can't just go randomly saying yes to a ton of things anymore. It was a good wake-up call. Time to say no to, like, pretty much every walking-home event and date offer now.

5/21:

Sorry, Saki.

5/23:

You too, Yumi.

5/25: Praised by Yuina for a perfect week of engineering and saying no to other girls

Yuina: This is what you have for me? Well, keep it up.
Goon: Th, thanks.
Goon: (Next time, I'll wow her for sure.)

We've upgraded from dismissive disdain to begrudging respect. Gettin' there!

6/1: Sports festival: Don't Stand Out Edition
In order to keep all 6 girls at a manageable level of affection, it's time to do badly at sports!

All according to plan. And then, the post-race folk dance!

Yuina: Consider yourself one of the rare few to whom I grant the honor of being close enough to touch.

Uhhh, thanks Yuina. Importantly, her coming first in line is a very good sign. She's very far ahead in the affection rankings.

Shiori: Lead on.

Megumi: Uh, uh, um...

Sometimes, I wonder if Megumi is not stuttering at all, but in fact casting some kind of nightmarish spell on Goon. The thought keeps me awake at night.

6/2: Bomb prevention date with Shiori.

Nothing new here, let's move on.

6/6: Yumi invites Goon out on a date
Normally, this would not be notable enough to point out. However...

HOLY CRAP YUMI WHAT DID THEY DO TO YOUR HANDS

6/17: Saki invites Goon to watch pro wrestling with her
6/23: Pro Wrestling with Saki

You have to admire the kind of girl who wears a cherry-patterened sleeveless pink blouse to a wrestling match. That is all.

8/4: Beach date with Yuina

Mystery Girl: Sorry! Did I keep you waiting?

Goon: Huh?
Mystery Girl: Whoops... sorry, I thought you were someone else.
Goon: That's the same girl who keeps tackling me at school...

By pure RNG, we have achieved an event that many gamers in the '90s would have KILLED for. KILLED. Miharu's route is incredibly luck-based, where you may not meet her at all in a 3-year run-through. And sometimes, like this, she decides to horn in on someone else's date, as befits her stalker status. I... I really have no idea why she's popular, other than her Last Boss difficulty. Anyway, she runs off and leaves things to:

Yuina: I will go and change.

Something about this picture really disturbs me. The shadows on her arm make her seem really muscular, and it just doesn't look right overall. I'll... I'll get over it.

Yuina: I have something I want to investigate.
Goon: Option 1: Should I help?
Yuina: Probably. But that will not be necessary.
Goon: (Looks like I made a pretty good impression.)

8/12-8/17: Computer club summer camp

Yuina: I took a look at the software you gave me yesterday.
Goon: I'm not very confident in it, but what did you think?
Yuina: It is far below my standards.
Goon: What wasn't good about it?
Yuina: The part that stands out the most is its user unfriendliness.
Goon: I didn't think about the user at all... I'll start over.
Yuina: Well, do the best you can.

Harsh... but fair.

The Ayako Tangent

Ayako is another of the girls who really stood out from the cast back in the day - she hovered in the top half of the popularity polls, and was able to get her own side game because Miharu's voice actress was busy recording the lead role for True Love Stories, a game that was being made to capitalize on Tokimeki Memorial's success. Again, this game came before the reign of moe - Ayako's popularity was mostly based on her sense of humor and general quirkiness, not on her representation of a particularly well-known archetype. Although I could be wrong - maybe English-speaking artists with a love for H.R. Giger was a thing back in the '90s. I wouldn't judge.

This is Ayako's sprite for when she tags along for an art activity, which she did for a few days after Goon met her. She blows a little kiss on successful days.

Months later, it took me 4 tries to get her to go to the beach - she has a special event there in spite of her... aversions.

8/18: Ayako at the beach

Ayako: The weather's pretty brisk today.
Goon: Y, you think so? It feels really hot to me.
Ayako: Hontou? I don't think it's hot at all.
Goon: Hey, Katagiri-san, let's go for a swim.

Ayako: Um, I feel kinda cold, so I'll pass.
Goon: You say you're cold, but you're sweating. C'mon, let's go.
Ayako: Uh, no, I'm not sweating because it's hot.
Goon: Then why're you sweating?
Ayako: Th, this is a cold sweat.
Goon: Huh? Why cold sweat?
Ayako: I'm scared of the water. Please, don't make me.

Goon: If that's the case, you should've just said so.
Ayako: Well, it's pretty embarrassing to be afraid of water.
Goon: Not at all. Everyone has stuff they can't handle.
Ayako: Arigatou, thank you. But I do want to swim with you.
Goon: You don't have to be in hurry. Just get used to it little by little.
Ayako: Yeah, I'll try that.

Ayako: Today was really exhausting, but we should do this kind of thing again.

Ayako also has one event that comes with the school trip - you have to go to Okinawa, though, which has a high English-speaking population thanks to the Treaty of Mutual Cooperation and Security - Okinawa houses almost 30,000 military personnel, plus support staff and family. If you invite her along with you...

Goon: ......
Ayako: What's wrong, Fudou-kun?
Goon: I think we're lost.
Ayako: Shinpai shinaide, there's someone right over there.
Goon: Huh? But Katagiri-san, that's a foreigner - oh, she's already talking to him.

Ayako: Sumimasen, but can I ask you a quick question?
Foreigner: "Yo, whaddaya want?"
Ayako: Onegai, do you know the way back to the hotel?
Foreigner: "Yo man, I have no idea what you're saying. What're you trying to say? You better go to the information booth, there's one of them if you turn right and keep straight. Get it?"
Ayako: Arigatou. It looks like if we turn right here, then head straight, we'll be fine.

Translator's note: The American is voiced in somewhat accented but decent English, and his lines are written in Japanese. Meanwhile, Ayako speaks in her usual singleton English words and phrases, mixed in with Japanese. It's just as confusing as it sounds.

Goon: That's amazing, you can talk to foreigners like that.
Ayako: I guess it is. I feel like we really connected there.
Goon: Well, let's head back.
Ayako: Yeah, let's go.
Goon: (We made it back to the hotel just fine. Great job, Katagiri-san.)

End Ayako Tangent

9/3: Walk home with Yuina

Yuina: The class trip is coming soon.
Goon: Oh yeah, huh? (I forgot where we're going, though.)
Yuina: It will cut severely into my experiment schedule.

9/9-9/14: Class Trip, Yuina edition

Pretty much all of this already happened in my Shiori run because it kept me from getting bored. So, please refer to Chapter 11: Fall 1996, Bear Territory Part 1 for the run-through. The main difference this time is that Yuina is in permanent blush mode.

Well, there is one more difference: since the Computer Club necessitates tons of rest if you don't want to stress out and get sick, Goon's stamina stat is truly disgusting in this run. So the alien fight also took 6 fewer minutes than last time, because attacking speeds up Yuina's build time.

The most important thing does not change: light years still measure distance, not time. Yuina gets corrected for the first time in the game.

Next time: Yuina cheats at games.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
"The reign of Moe", it's sad because it's true. Good grief.

So you can be very well below Shiori's ridiculous standards and she'll still bomb you?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

Ayako is another of the girls who really stood out from the cast back in the day - she hovered in the top half of the popularity polls, and was able to get her own side game because Miharu's voice actress was busy recording the lead role for True Love Stories, a game that was being made to capitalize on Tokimeki Memorial's success. Again, this game came before the reign of moe - Ayako's popularity was mostly based on her sense of humor and general quirkiness, not on her representation of a particularly well-known archetype. Although I could be wrong - maybe English-speaking artists with a love for H.R. Giger was a thing back in the '90s. I wouldn't judge.

Putting aside any problems with the word "moe" in particular, here's what I don't get about that: the people who liked Ayako when they were in their teens and 20s are the ones instigating the reign of moe now. And even if they don't have a choice because they're all sellouts and the market has decided that's the only thing it wants... that didn't just come out of nowhere. Where did it all go wrong between 1994 and now? There has to have been one comic or game or TV show or whatever around the turn of the millennium that ruined everything, right? What was it?

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

FractalSandwich posted:

Putting aside any problems with the word "moe" in particular, here's what I don't get about that: the people who liked Ayako when they were in their teens and 20s are the ones instigating the reign of moe now. And even if they don't have a choice because they're all sellouts and the market has decided that's the only thing it wants... that didn't just come out of nowhere. Where did it all go wrong between 1994 and now? There has to have been one comic or game or TV show or whatever around the turn of the millennium that ruined everything, right? What was it?

This is a pretty loaded topic, but the consensus seems to be that it was the Azumanga Daioh anime.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Wow, everything is ACTUALLY Osaka's fault. Who would've known?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Son Ryo posted:

This is a pretty loaded topic, but the consensus seems to be that it was the Azumanga Daioh anime.

I thought it was Evangelion?

tomanton posted:

"The reign of Moe", it's sad because it's true. Good grief.

So you can be very well below Shiori's ridiculous standards and she'll still bomb you?

Well hey, if your childhood friend who you've become estranged with became one of your classmates, wouldn't you feel a little burnt if they ignored you completely for 3 months? :v:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Son Ryo posted:

Oh, interesting. I've vaguely heard of that. I kind of want to see it now. If it's even in the running to be called that, it has to have been pretty influential.

If I'm committing some terrible faux pas by talking about this, I apologize. I don't, to borrow a phrase, know my anime rear end from an anime hole in the ground.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

tomanton posted:

Yep. Affection and stat requirements are handled independently. You can be completely different from a girl's standards and she'll still like you and go out with you, it just won't turn into anything in the end. It's just that the lower a girl's affection is, the higher the threshold for bombing - she just doesn't care as much about what you're doing without her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Son Ryo posted:

. . . seriously? Is that consensus among goons, American anime fans, or the Japanese anime fans? That's such an oddly specific trigger it seems like it almost has to be wrong.

I never really thought about it much since I stopped watching Anime a long time ago; but if I had to guess I would have thought the blame lies more at the feet of studios like CLAMP.

• Locked thread