Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Alternatively, a return to funding a decent standard of public education that included comprehensive lessons in social sciences would likely do the goddamn trick.

People who don't value accuracy or consistency in argumentation are already predisposed to reject education as a value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Let's pretend that the assertion that the modern Democratic party is filled with the same people that wrote the Jim Crow laws instead of the reality that it's the opposite. How does that make the argument that modern Republicans are trying to recreate those laws any less valid?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Radish posted:

Let's pretend that the assertion that the modern Democratic party is filled with the same people that wrote the Jim Crow laws instead of the reality that it's the opposite. How does that make the argument that modern Republicans are trying to recreate those laws any less valid?

Democrats bad! More like dumbocrats!!!

edit: They are the real racists.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Radish posted:

Most people don't know why racism is bad, just that it is bad. Similarly, they don't actually know why Jim Crow was bad, just that it was bad. Hell, most people don't even know what racism is beyond "the KKK is racist." Racism, to many people, is just a word used to slander your opponents. That's why people talk about the 'race card,' and who is the 'real racists': because they literally have no idea what they're talking about, or why they're talking about it.

At least, that's my theory, but evidence seems to bear it out.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Most people don't know why racism is bad, just that it is bad. Similarly, they don't actually know why Jim Crow was bad, just that it was bad. Hell, most people don't even know what racism is beyond "the KKK is racist." Racism, to many people, is just a word used to slander your opponents. That's why people talk about the 'race card,' and who is the 'real racists': because they literally have no idea what they're talking about, or why they're talking about it.

At least, that's my theory, but evidence seems to bear it out.

"I don't hate black people because of their SKIN COLOR, I hate them because of what they do/how they speak/what they wear! See, that's not racist! It's a rational opinion!"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
All Democrats wear white linen suits and string ties, and conduct official business from chairs on their front porch.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

"Allow me, a white lady, to tell a black man to stop talking about race don'tcha know"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
To truly honor the message of MLK I ask you, know your place, boy.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Continuing the saga of the Klan Recruitment Flyers. Fairly normal banter and then suddenly ':byodood: WHITE GENOCIDE U GUYS'.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Mister Bates posted:

Continuing the saga of the Klan Recruitment Flyers. Fairly normal banter and then suddenly ':byodood: WHITE GENOCIDE U GUYS'.

Ah yes, the black-majority state of South Carolina. I wasn't aware that 30% was a bigger number than 69%.

I know these idiots never bother checking their facts, but could they at least have the decency ever to not spout off bullshit that can be shot to hell by five seconds' use of any of the billions of Internet-capable devices strewn about the country like blinking, beeping dust?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Ah yes, the black-majority state of South Carolina. I wasn't aware that 30% was a bigger number than 69%.

I know these idiots never bother checking their facts, but could they at least have the decency ever to not spout off bullshit that can be shot to hell by five seconds' use of any of the billions of Internet-capable devices strewn about the country like blinking, beeping dust?

Yes, why can't the Klan get their facts straight?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

SedanChair posted:

Yes, why can't the Klan get their facts straight?

I was referring more to Reggie Stration, the one making that claim on the Internet, which means that anyone who wishes to respond to them is also on the Internet, where their idiotic "fact" is debunked with less effort than it takes to play most video games.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
This Richard Sherman thing is fantastic. So many variants of "I'm not racist, but" coming from the whitest dudes who have never checked their privilege.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
I want Seattle to win the Super Bowl now just to piss off the racists.

And if I hear one more person bemoan his lack of "class" I swear to god ...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I want Seattle to win the Super Bowl now just to piss off the racists.

And if I hear one more person bemoan his lack of "class" I swear to god ...

But he's a communication major from Stanford. Why didn't he have an eloquent speech prepared for when he made the final play? Obviously these black athletes are HIGH on AFFIRMATIVE ACTION.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Phone posted:

This Richard Sherman thing is fantastic. So many variants of "I'm not racist, but" coming from the whitest dudes who have never checked their privilege.

I'm a Seahawks fan (see avatar) but some of the Sherman stuff is insane. Even my facebook feed referred to him as a "classless thug" or a "crazy black man." A person on twitter said he pushed blacks back 100 years then proceeded to call him the n-word.

If any of you want cool facts on Richard Sherman:

1. He graduated with a 4.2 GPA in HS, 2nd in his class, from one of the worst school districts in CA (Compton)
2. He has an MBA from Stanford
3. He hosts celebrity softball games around Seattle to raise money for charities
4. He's never said a cuss-word in a post-game interview
5. He makes the league minimum in salary right now (granted he's going to get a pretty big pay raise)

Seriously, call people out if they're making racist comments. People don't like the connotation of being racist, so they need to realize what they're saying is really dumb.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mister Bates posted:

Oh man I was reading that thinking 'oh well that's a crazy flyer but thank goodness your friends are all laughing at how stupid it is and making some good jokes' and then in comes "WELL ACTUALLY WHITE PEOPLE ARE VICTIMS"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Phone posted:

If I was going to the Superbowl, I would be the biggest smuggest shitheel you've ever seen. He loving earned the right to boast, and if a white player did it literally no one would bat an eye.

Perfect example - towards the end of the regular season Tom Brady was caught on live mic saying "That call is loving bullshit!" after a game and nobody cared. As it should be, no one should care at all about what football players say, but suddenly they care a lot when it gives them an excuse to otherize black people.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Ohohoho just you wait until they find out about Russell's wife.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

I just want to know how these people learn their history. Or just their facts in general. Do they literally just look up random things on the internet without studying the context of them at all?

In fact, I would love to see one of these people write a history paper.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Popular Thug Drink posted:

People who don't value accuracy or consistency in argumentation are already predisposed to reject education as a value.

Gee, now why is that? :allears:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Technically accurate, if by liberal the author means "Liberal", i.e. Republicans.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

PARTY OF LINCOLN!
And the party who's members want secession.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

PARTY OF LINCOLN!
And the party who's members want secession.

Just use this:

The img tag just makes it look even more like the hurried image macro most of these people put out.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

Dyz posted:

I just want to know how these people learn their history. Or just their facts in general. Do they literally just look up random things on the internet without studying the context of them at all?

In fact, I would love to see one of these people write a history paper.

They learn their history in a way that is very similar to to the way they pick up those delightful image macros, I imagine.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

WampaLord posted:

If I was going to the Superbowl, I would be the biggest smuggest shitheel you've ever seen. He loving earned the right to boast, and if a white player did it literally no one would bat an eye.

Perfect example - towards the end of the regular season Tom Brady was caught on live mic saying "That call is loving bullshit!" after a game and nobody cared. As it should be, no one should care at all about what football players say, but suddenly they care a lot when it gives them an excuse to otherize black people.
I like this article from Deadspin on the subject, which can probably be summed up with this image, and the addendum "Pick Two".

If he'd been white, him claiming to be the greatest would be acceptable. If he wasn't so loud about being the greatest, he'd be lauded for being humble. If he wasn't the greatest, he'd be written off as a buffoon. But because he's black, talented, and knows it, he's a thug and a threat to white superiority.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Jeedy Jay posted:

They learn their history in a way that is very similar to to the way they pick up those delightful image macros, I imagine.

Yeah the Tea Party, and far right wingers in general, is a group of people who's entire historical knowledge and argumentative databases are based solely on loving image macros from Facebook.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

darthbob88 posted:

I like this article from Deadspin on the subject, which can probably be summed up with this image, and the addendum "Pick Two".

If he'd been white, him claiming to be the greatest would be acceptable. If he wasn't so loud about being the greatest, he'd be lauded for being humble. If he wasn't the greatest, he'd be written off as a buffoon. But because he's black, talented, and knows it, he's a thug and a threat to white superiority.

They suspended him from boxing, (almost) put him away for draft dodging (because it went against his muslim beliefs), but he's still the greatest.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 22, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Slate has a fairly good article on the controversy by Seth Stevenson. Basically, Sherman is a skilled, intelligent, successful player, who at the particular moment of his comments was still being kind of a dick. Muhammad Ali is an apt comparison- incredible sportsman, highly skilled, worked to promote social justice, sometimes a dick.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 22, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I like Sherman (I loved him when he made that tip) but when he started going off I just thought "Oh Richard, how...un-Cascadian of you."

totally losing my mime
Aug 3, 2012

The quiet can scrape
All the calm from your bones.
But maybe it should.
Maybe we need to be hollowed
To get up and grow,
And stop fucking around,
To kick off our braces and start straightening out
Fun Shoe

SedanChair posted:

Ohohoho just you wait until they find out about Russell's wife.

Well, Russell's one of the good ones, remember.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think it's funny how if a white athlete gives an interview in jeans and a baggy T-shirt it's no big deal, he's just wearing comfy clothes after a big game.
If a black athlete wears the same clothes he's perceived as a gangster.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think it's funny how if a white athlete gives an interview in jeans and a baggy T-shirt it's no big deal, he's just wearing comfy clothes after a big game.
If a black athlete wears the same clothes he's perceived as a gangster.

Black athletes get poo poo for wearing nice suits for post game interviews, too. Makes them "flamboyant" or whatever alternative to the u-word you prefer.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Mellow Seas posted:

Black athletes get poo poo for wearing nice suits for post game interviews, too. Makes them "flamboyant" or whatever alternative to the u-word you prefer.

Black athletes get poo poo completely regardless of what they do, and if you point this out to the people giving them poo poo, you're the racist in that conversation as far as they're concerned.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Mister Bates posted:

Black athletes get poo poo completely regardless of what they do, and if you point this out to the people giving them poo poo, you're the racist in that conversation as far as they're concerned.

I wonder whether people who do this secretly know they're acting racist and are scrambling for justification, or if they honestly believe what they're saying due to a "fish have no word for water" situation.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
http://regressing.deadspin.com/the-word-thug-was-uttered-625-times-on-tv-yesterday-1506098319

Not since Trayvon Martin has the word "thug" been thrown around so liberally.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

UtinniOnTheRocks posted:

Well, Russell's one of the good ones, remember.

Hahaha well that approach just backfired thanks to Sherman :lol:

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Phone posted:

http://regressing.deadspin.com/the-word-thug-was-uttered-625-times-on-tv-yesterday-1506098319

Emphasis mine; I wonder what would happen if exactly those words were said to a fundagelical right-winger :stare::hf::ironicat:

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Phone posted:

This is actually one of the few time I'm glad I read the comments on an article about racism in the media.

quote:

moveslikerichards2
Do you know what other words were uttered 624 times yesterday?Stanford graduate Yesterday 6:58pm

Timothy Burke
Nope, 16 times. (And five on major radio.)

Its nice when people with actual information show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Colin Kaepernick's tattoos include several bible verses, the thug.