Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The PS Vita is still beating the Wii U handily over in Japan (taken from http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=756020):

code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 3DS # |     47.438 |     60.154 |     81.855 |    284.147 |    453.775 |  14.946.067 |
| PSV # |     26.963 |     32.016 |      9.036 |    134.379 |     53.433 |   2.489.736 |
|  PS3  |     13.243 |     14.845 |     19.697 |     68.173 |    107.040 |   9.777.847 |
|  WIU  |     11.443 |     14.020 |     16.654 |     76.734 |    104.452 |   1.602.164 |
| PSP # |      4.024 |      4.758 |     15.343 |     22.065 |     87.285 |  20.090.474 |
|  360  |        273 |        281 |        706 |      1.001 |      3.520 |   1.640.317 |
|  ALL  |    103.384 |    126.074 |    145.490 |    586.499 |    819.209 |  50.546.605 |
| PSVTV |      2.208 |      2.522 |            |     10.043 |            |      86.287 |
|  PSV  |     24.755 |     29.494 |      9.036 |    124.336 |     53.433 |   2.403.449 |
| 3DSLL |     32.393 |     40.038 |     51.015 |    186.587 |    263.576 |   5.612.473 |
|  3DS  |     15.045 |     20.116 |     30.840 |     97.560 |    190.199 |   9.333.594 |
|  PSP  |      4.024 |      4.758 |     15.343 |     22.065 |     87.285 |  19.914.487 |

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Nintendo should be poking Samsung about their future folding glass phone. Probably the direction to take the next DS.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Mennonites Revenge posted:

They are pretty stingy with their domain names; they reused their Wario World domain as a developer portal. They apparently couldn't be arsed to just slap a prefix to nintendo.com or something.

That said, thumbprint security? 1 and 2 buttons? A codename for the memory? At least try, anonymous rumor-monger.

Dat website. :stare:

I looked at the source expecting to it generated by Word. Instead, I found that it was carefully hand coded to 1998 levels of Angelfire glory.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

mayodreams posted:

Dat website. :stare:

I looked at the source expecting to it generated by Word. Instead, I found that it was carefully hand coded to 1998 levels of Angelfire glory.

The best Nintendo internet moment will always be when you were able to go to https://www.nintendo.com/status and just see a plain text "OK."

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Neo Rasa posted:

The best Nintendo internet moment will always be when you were able to go to https://www.nintendo.com/status and just see a plain text "OK."

Something must be wrong, I'm getting "Whoops!" when I follow that link.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
That's because it is no longer there. But the best Nintendo internet moment will always be when you were able to...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rexroom posted:

Well yeah, they released the Wii U.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Rexroom posted:

"Nintendo status: Whoops!" pretty much sums up what the Wii U has done

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
It was a practice console guys, stop being so mean.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Nintendo just needs a way to "print money" again. Judging from the popularity of games like DOTA2 and LoL, clearly this means they should develop a free-to-play DOTA-Like featuring a large stable of Nintendo characters with microtransactions!

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Mechathief posted:

Nintendo just needs a way to "print money" again. Judging from the popularity of games like DOTA2 and LoL, clearly this means they should develop a free-to-play DOTA-Like featuring a large stable of Nintendo characters with microtransactions!

Since they haven't done a Pokémon MMO, clearly PokéMOBA is the way of the future (Pikachu obviously gets Zeus' ultimate).

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
I honestly think a Smash Bros-esque simplified MOBA would make them a ton of money if done right. But I have zero faith in Nintendo being able to pull off the online aspect, balancing, and microtransaction design to make it work.

Needless to say I would main Waluigi in this hypothetical game.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Aurain posted:

This is fake. I have it on good authority (Microsoft) that if you wanted to make a truly powerful console, they'd just put a cloud in a box and give it to you. I can't see why a company like Nintendo, known good idea havers, wouldn't do this.

Well Nintendo were early innovators in cloud based technology...

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

BGrifter posted:

Well Nintendo were early innovators in cloud based technology...

The cloud certain gave the player options they didn't have without it. You could say it enhanced gameplay and opened up entirely new, revolutionary paths.

Such as flying under the goal post in Super Mario World. :aaa:

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

The PS Vita is still beating the Wii U handily over in Japan (taken from http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=756020):
Also stolen from Neogaf:

Everyone is in the toilet, the Vita is slightly less in the toilet than it was last year.

Top selling Wii U title/only title in top 20 was SM3DW at 10k copies and #10.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Jeffrey posted:

Well yeah the implication is that Nintendo is using a Qualcomm chip. They probably just referred to it as AMD since they are the creators of the first adreno back in the day. The thing also lists an arm processor which is somewhat consistent with it being made by qualcomm, for better or worse. It's still not real.

Yeah, still totally fake. No one in their right mind would still call Adreno AMD considering that was a sale in 2008 and a completely different brand back then (imageon).

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
http://www.nowgamer.com/features/2246174/nintendo_isnt_the_problem_you_are.html

quote:

It’s your choice to continue ignoring the best games makers in the world for whatever stupid reason you’ve come up with, but don’t say you weren’t warned if the only thing you’re playing on in the future is a mobile phone.

I wasn't sure if this should go in this thread or the "Gaming Journalism" thread. Lots of :qq: and entitlement accusations and poor rationalisations endemic of gaming journalism, but it touches base on a lot of the issues facing Nintendo with their dead cat of a console. And schadenfreude.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
OK, what Nintendo needs to do is localize Time Twist: Rekishi no Katasumi de... for the Wii U and 3DS virtual console, then finally make that Barker Bill's Trick Shooting sequel we've been waiting for.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

StevenM posted:

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/2246174/nintendo_isnt_the_problem_you_are.html

I wasn't sure if this should go in this thread or the "Gaming Journalism" thread. Lots of :qq: and entitlement accusations and poor rationalisations endemic of gaming journalism, but it touches base on a lot of the issues facing Nintendo with their dead cat of a console. And schadenfreude.

:lol:

Is this satire? This can't be real.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Edmund Honda posted:

Also stolen from Neogaf:

Everyone is in the toilet, the Vita is slightly less in the toilet than it was last year.

Top selling Wii U title/only title in top 20 was SM3DW at 10k copies and #10.

poor xbox, meerly a stain in japan for its entire console life.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Soul Glo posted:

:lol:

Is this satire? This can't be real.

Its real, a bunch of sites did the same when the Devil May Cry game with the rear end in a top hat crack addict Dante bombed.

Its just click-baity bullshit.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Alteisen posted:

Its real, a bunch of sites did the same when the Devil May Cry game with the rear end in a top hat crack addict Dante bombed.

Its just click-baity bullshit.

Did they? I remember the run-up to the game's launch was hysterical/maddening but mysteriously everyone shut up about it after sales should have been announced.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

StevenM posted:

Did they? I remember the run-up to the game's launch was hysterical/maddening but mysteriously everyone shut up about it after sales should have been announced.

Ya there were a few dumb new games journalists saying that the new DmC failed because we didn't buy it even though we should have because Ninja Theory and their artistic vision.

ZoMBiePiGGy
Mar 26, 2007
Who put my stapler in jello!?!?
I just saw the most confusing Wii U comercial yet. The whole time they talk about all the great features of Wii Fit U then at the end say, "Upgrade to Wii U for $299!" Then something about another thing you have to buy for 19! They really shouldn't use the word upgrade when people already think its the same console. It sounds just like an accessory.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

madeupfred posted:

then finally make that Barker Bill's Trick Shooting sequel we've been waiting for.

You joke, but I would buy a WiiU if they did this.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

ZoMBiePiGGy posted:

I just saw the most confusing Wii U comercial yet. The whole time they talk about all the great features of Wii Fit U then at the end say, "Upgrade to Wii U for $299!" Then something about another thing you have to buy for 19! They really shouldn't use the word upgrade when people already think its the same console. It sounds just like an accessory.

Maybe that is their plan all along. They realized that most people who bought the Wii in the casual sector only did so for one or two games, and if they trick them into thinking its nothing but a replacement for the Wii, they will end up selling a bunch of the consoles! Its genius!

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Meanwhile in the UK, retailers are getting fed up with the WiiU.

quote:

The biggest names at games retail – talking under the condition of anonymity – say a significant price cut and a bundle with upcoming blockbuster Mario Kart 8 will help alleviate short-term issues surrounding Wii U.

Nintendo issued a profit warning after sales of its console fell significantly short of target. 2.8m Wii Us were sold worldwide last year, missing its quota by 6.2m.

“A sub-£200 machine will help, and Mario Kart is desperately needed to reach the fans,” said the games boss of one of the UK’s biggest retailers. “We also need something revolutionary that makes use of the second screen and has mainstream appeal, which is easier said than done.”

The top buyer at one online games store added: “There is only one real last chance for Wii U and it is Mario Kart 8. It could still be the game that sparks interest in Wii U, but it would need to be combined with a more mass market retail price.”

A games exec at a mass market outlet added: “£199 and Mario Kart 8. Simple.”

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Are? Didn't the Wii U have negative sales in Europe two quarters ago because retailers were returning more systems to Nintendo than they were selling?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I can't say I blame them for losing patience. Nobody wants to buy a Wii U because the library just isn't there. Being the cheapest of the consoles doesn't mean anything if there's not enough to do with it, otherwise the Ouya would be flying off the shelves.

It's not that people don't want to buy Nintendo games, or people don't want to buy a console so they can play Nintendo games. They don't want to buy a console that only plays Nintendo games.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
But hasn't Nintendo's consoles been a hard sell to UK residents anyway? I imagine the Brits warm up more to the cool Playstation brand more than the family friendly Nintendo.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005

Rexroom posted:

But hasn't Nintendo's consoles been a hard sell to UK residents anyway? I imagine the Brits warm up more to the cool Playstation brand more than the family friendly Nintendo.

But I figure you would see at least some sales in Europe. This is the first I heard retailers that are getting ready to just go "gently caress this" and drop the console. Has this ever happened before with Nintendo?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

zarron posted:

But I figure you would see at least some sales in Europe. This is the first I heard retailers that are getting ready to just go "gently caress this" and drop the console. Has this ever happened before with Nintendo?

Possibly with the Virtual Boy.

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

MechaCrash posted:

I can't say I blame them for losing patience. Nobody wants to buy a Wii U because the library just isn't there. Being the cheapest of the consoles doesn't mean anything if there's not enough to do with it, otherwise the Ouya would be flying off the shelves.

But it's not actuallly the cheapest console. If you just need a cheap netflix/game console for your kids you can buy a PS3 or Xbox 360 for much less. And have a bigger and cheaper game library available as well, and even a Blue-Ray player if you choose the PS3.

And don't kid anyone and compare the Wii U to the nexy gen consoles. It's much closer to the last gen.

Baron FU fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 23, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Baron FU posted:

But it's not actuallly the cheapest console. If you just need a cheap netflix/game console for your kids you can buy a PS3 or Xbox 360 for much less. And have a bigger and cheaper game library available as well, and even a Blue-Ray player if you choose the PS3.

And don't kid anyone and compare the Wii U to the nexy gen consoles. It's much closer to the last gen.

It's just the cheapest "next-gen" console.
I don't think I'd consider the WiiU and Xbone/PS4 to be the same generation either though, even though they're intended to be.

It's a badly made PS3/360 at heart.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005

Aurain posted:

It's just the cheapest "next-gen" console.
I don't think I'd consider the WiiU and Xbone/PS4 to be the same generation either though, even though they're intended to be.

It's a badly made PS3/360 at heart.

As a whole they are and when you are sitting next to the ps4/xb1 on the shelf and although you completion is more expensive the value seems a lot larger to the average consumer, they have a problem.

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sorry for being slightly off topic, but what was the last Nintendo developed or produced game for the original Wii? I can't remember a single one since the Wii U was released.

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.

LOSS posted:

Sorry for being slightly off topic, but what was the last Nintendo developed or produced game for the original Wii? I can't remember a single one since the Wii U was released.

I think Skyward Sword might have been it? That or Xenoblade Chronicles in North America

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

LOSS posted:

Probably the Kirby Anniversary Collection

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Another just dance came out in 2013 and it was published by Nintendo if you want to count that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

:munch:

quote:

According to one anonymous EA staffer, the publisher doesn't believe it's possible for their games to be successful on the platform.

"Nintendo was dead to us very quickly," said the source. "It became a kids IP platform and we don't really make games for kids. That was pretty true across the other labels too. Even the Mass Effect title on Wii U, which was a solid effort, could never do big business, and EA like Activision is only focused on games that can be big franchises".

Another anonymous source from the publisher "working on perhaps the biggest franchise in games today," said Nintendo "just doesn't care about US developers" based on his experience working with the console-maker. The source doesn't say the publisher has severed ties with Nintendo, but it doesn't sound as if they're particularly interested pitching any more Wii U ideas.
Everyone's coming out of the woodwork now.

• Locked thread