Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Marijuana posted:

Counter-point: maybe not.

I'm gonna bookmark that post of yours, forum used Marijuana. And in 5 years I'm gonna quote it and drat son, your credibility will be in tatters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Vitamin P posted:

The song of ice and fire will either be Jon and Dany's battle or Jon and Dany's romance and subsequent kid.

Actually it will be the song that Rhaeger played for Lyanna on his harp. QUOTE THAT poo poo VITAMIN P

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
I'd like to think the Song of Ice and Fire refers to Sansa and Aegon getting married and teaming up with Varys and Littlefinger to rule the world. :dance:

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
I like to picture the Song of Ice and Fire with like giant eagles wings, and singing lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd, with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

I like to picture the Song of Ice and Fire with like giant eagles wings, and singing lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd, with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zl0T7gKAnM

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

You made that grace your bitch!

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

New thread reminder that Bronn would've easily beaten Gregor and spared us from the boring Tyrion outcast saga.

Then again which is more laudable for a hired killer, killing the Mountain or killing half the enjoyment of the book?

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
This hasn't been talked about for a while but concerning the discrepancies in Petyr's accent(s), it popped into my head that maybe the accent being in an awkward limbo between native and non-native sounding is the result of Petyr (the character) attempting to fake an aristocratic accent. Whether that was the intention or not, it seems like a convenient way to explain it.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MustelaFuro posted:

This hasn't been talked about for a while but concerning the discrepancies in Petyr's accent(s), it popped into my head that maybe the accent being in an awkward limbo between native and non-native sounding is the result of Petyr (the character) attempting to fake an aristocratic accent. Whether that was the intention or not, it seems like a convenient way to explain it.

People have speculated on that. Personally I think he's just loving up his accent :shrug:

EDIT: Come to think of it, we get lots of accents from different parts of the UK, some Eastern European accents, and I would assume a Spanish accent once some Dornish people are introduced...I wonder how an American accent would come across, or any other kind of accent. I imagine it would sound silly, but for a fantasy world there's really no reason why it should.

timp fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 24, 2014

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Midnight City posted:

New thread reminder that Bronn would've easily beaten Gregor and spared us from the boring Tyrion outcast saga.

Then again which is more laudable for a hired killer, killing the Mountain or killing half the enjoyment of the book?

Cersei paid him off and he was uncertain enough about the outcome that he wouldn't have done it anyway.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

timp posted:

People have speculated on that. Personally I think he's just loving up his accent :shrug:

EDIT: Come to think of it, we get lots of accents from different parts of the UK, some Eastern European accents, and I would assume a Spanish accent once some Dornish people are introduced...I wonder how an American accent would come across, or any other kind of accent. I imagine it would sound silly, but for a fantasy world there's really no reason why it should.

Whenever accent-chat comes up, I'm really happy I'm not a native speaker and not a very aural person, because apparently something's happening that's bothering a lot of people that's completely non-bothering to me. I'm simply not attuned enough to accents to recognise that Littlefinger changes his. I roughly only cluster UK/US accents into four groups: RP, generic Northern England/Scotland, generic US (Midwest, I'd assume) and generic Southern US. Even those videos about 'showing different US/UK accents' completely pass me by.

In the interest of science, for those who don't hear that, what does Littlefinger change his accent between? That is, if one were to map his accents to real ones, which ones would that be?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Midnight City posted:

Oberyn was just as slippery and underhanded a fighter as Bronn. Maybe even moreso. Gregor killed him anyway. Make no mistake, the Mountain was no chump. Of course, Bronn would have known better not to let his emotions get the best of him in the fight. But it was that same emotional detachment that allowed him to make the rational judgement call not to defend Tyrion.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Vitamin P posted:

The song of ice and fire will either be Jon and Dany's battle or Jon and Dany's romance and subsequent kid.

Nope. The Song of Ice and Fire already occurred and it was the story of Rhaeger and Lyanna. Something that a lot of people don't realize is the way that GRRM writes. In the time between books 4 & 5 I went and read GRRM's short-story anthologies and the dude 1) is excellent at describing strange settings in only a few lines of text, and 2) writes really melancholy and bittersweet stories. Before ASoIaF he basically wrote countless bittersweet stories and I don't really think he was going for something different here.

For example, one of his short stories is about a group of kids who live in a weird system of artificial tunnels, going into the dark parts of the tunnels to hunt these mole-people for food. It's never outright said in the story, but essentially the kids are living in a giant radiation shelter on a world orbiting a dying star and the mole-people they are hunting are also sending parties to hunt humans...for food...because that's essentially all the food left for either species. People living their daily lives on doomed worlds is a theme of lots of his stories.

How this relates to ASoIaF is that GRRM is basically making a mockery of the concept of romance, and just war. I'm 75% sure at this point that Jon's parentage has nothing to do with the conclusion of the plot and is just there so that observant readers will pick up on the hints and then sigh depressively when they realize that a whole war was fought because two people fell in love and nobody is ever going to know that. It's like that joke about how the last chapter of the series should be titled "The Prince that was Promised" and just be a POV of Rhaegar getting ready to fight at the Trident. That kind of bittersweet, "life loving sucks, sorry" style of writing is pure GRRM.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

meristem posted:

In the interest of science, for those who don't hear that, what does Littlefinger change his accent between? That is, if one were to map his accents to real ones, which ones would that be?

Sort of switching between generic RP and a rhotic accent with hints of Irish.

What amazed me was finding out that Peter Dinklage is American. He does the English accent really, really well.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

For the vast majority of actors on the show, GOT is by far the most popular thing they have ever been in, or will ever be in in the future. This is true for at least 95% of the cast. Sure, a few might do something "bigger" later on, but for most of the cast GOT is the pinnacle of their acting career.

That said, taking a year off is a terrible idea. No way you will keep 100% of the cast committed. People gotta work, and as much as it pains me to say it, "being on Game of Thrones" might not be the end goal of every single actor on the show.

The was true for the players on the wire and the sopranos. A break could work if it was a mutual a agreement like those two, if it was enforced that's when it'd all break down.

But this is all academic as its not going to happen and I think we're violently agreeing.

Next why d'n'd are a couple of middle truth capitalist wankers

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

JT Jag posted:

Oberyn was just as slippery and underhanded a fighter as Bronn. Maybe even moreso. Gregor killed him anyway. Make no mistake, the Mountain was no chump. Of course, Bronn would have known better not to let his emotions get the best of him in the fight. But it was that same emotional detachment that allowed him to make the rational judgement call not to defend Tyrion.

Oberyn would've undoubtedly chosen to help Bronn if he'd decided to fight Gregor, so we'd have Bronn + poison + not being overly emotional = dead Gregor, Tyrion not guilty and saving us from fifty chapters of drudgery.

It is known.

Also I've never seen it mentioned before, how do we know Oberyn actually poisoned Gregor during the fight and not before? Since he most likely had already poisoned Tywin who is infinitely smarter and more protected, how could he not have already poisoned Gregor who has far many more opportunities due to his constant drinking (due to his headaches).

Tywin's poison was incredibly slow moving, you can say that Gregor's could've acted faster due to being in his blood but Gregor lasted days apparently so even in blood it moves slow.

The other question would be why would Oberyn even fight Gregor if he'd already poisoned him? Maybe to illicit the confession?

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 24, 2014

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

the jizz taxi posted:

Sort of switching between generic RP and a rhotic accent with hints of Irish.

What amazed me was finding out that Peter Dinklage is American. He does the English accent really, really well.

Oh, so it was just two? From the comments in the vein of "it's all over the place", I thought he was literally playing with her arse them.

Anyway, back to the earlier discussion (breakpoints for Dany's ADWD plotline) - I read this essay. It seems to claim that there are two parts in Dany's plotline: the one where she chooses 'peace', and the one where she chooses 'war'. Maybe that could be the breakpoint?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

JT Jag posted:

In my mind Bronn's fighting skills are massivly overvalued by the fan community. He beat that one guy in the Eyrie and thats pretty much it for his achievements. To even compare him to the red viper is blasphemy and thats not even considering the fact that the viper could only counter Gregors reach because his favored weapon is a spear, in contrast to Bronn, who only has sword fighting skills.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Given that Aiden Gillan is a really good actor, and he's pulled off accents well in the past, so I'm inclined to say that Littlefinger's roaming accent is intentional.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

GaussianCopula posted:

In my mind Bronn's fighting skills are massivly overvalued by the fan community. He beat that one guy in the Eyrie and thats pretty much it for his achievements. To even compare him to the red viper is blasphemy and thats not even considering the fact that the viper could only counter Gregors reach because his favored weapon is a spear, in contrast to Bronn, who only has sword fighting skills.

I'm pretty sure Bronn even tells Tyrion that maybe he could dance around and wear the Mountain out like he did with Ser Egen, but he's got an incredible reach and is insanely strong. I recently reread Bronn and Egen's duel, and Catelyn notes that Bronn has the longer reach in that fight, and he still almost loses when Egen bull rushes him.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Anyway that's all missing the important point, which isn't whether Bronn could beat the Mountain but the fact that he chooses not to try, because he's a sellsword and got a better offer (the fact that Bronn was considered worth buying off is perhaps worth something).

I still maintain that Bronn's out of the story and is one of the few characters who gets a happy ending.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Anyway that's all missing the important point, which isn't whether Bronn could beat the Mountain but the fact that he chooses not to try, because he's a sellsword and got a better offer (the fact that Bronn was considered worth buying off is perhaps worth something).

I still maintain that Bronn's out of the story and is one of the few characters who gets a happy ending.

I thought he ends up at the moon gate along with the other 2 knights?

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

notaspy posted:

I thought he ends up at the moon gate along with the other 2 knights?

He marries Lollies and names her son Tyrion. He also becomes a lord after killing the old lord and starts hiring/bringing in his old mercenary pals.

As an aside the part where Lady Tanda Falyse goes to Cersei crying that she was kicked out was pretty good (not the part after where she was given to Qyburn though).

Narmi fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 24, 2014

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Of all the characters I think Bronn could make the best spin-off series. Perhaps something that predates Game of Thrones.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

lifts cats over head posted:

Of all the characters I think Bronn could make the best spin-off series. Perhaps something that predates Game of Thrones.

Agreed. I would love to know why (and how) he got north of the wall, for example.

EDIT: as for why people think he is a superb fighter: I guess is because he is, at least in the TV show. He is a smug dangeours badass. And the actor is doing a great job at it, in my opinion.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 24, 2014

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Elias_Maluco posted:

EDIT: as for why people think he is a superb fighter: I guess is because he is, at least in the TV show. He is a smug dangeours badass. And the actor is doing a great job at it, in my opinion.

In the books, there was also the scene where Tyrion finds Bronn watching some fighters spar, and Bronn points out that one of them--maybe Loras?--goes to the same move over and over again.

So it's cunning like that and in killing Sir Balman that makes him a great fighter, even if he didn't have the classical arms training that knights have.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Narmi posted:

He marries Lollies and names her son Tyrion. He also becomes a lord after killing the old lord and starts hiring/bringing in his old mercenary pals.

As an aside the part where Lady Tanda Falyse goes to Cersei crying that she was kicked out was pretty good (not the part after where she was given to Qyburn though).

I did get the sense that Bronn is in some small way honoring his friendship with Tyrion by just trolling the gently caress out of Cersei because he can.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

timp posted:

I wonder how an American accent would come across, or any other kind of accent. I imagine it would sound silly, but for a fantasy world there's really no reason why it should.

They really blew an opportunity, I tell you. The Reeds could have had Cajun accents.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Soylent Pudding posted:

I did get the sense that Bronn is in some small way honoring his friendship with Tyrion by just trolling the gently caress out of Cersei because he can.

In any universe, naming your child after somebody is a pretty great way to honor him. Pissing off Cersei by doing so is just icing on the cake.

chellesandcheese
Jul 12, 2005

Midnight City posted:

Also I've never seen it mentioned before, how do we know Oberyn actually poisoned Gregor during the fight and not before? Since he most likely had already poisoned Tywin who is infinitely smarter and more protected, how could he not have already poisoned Gregor who has far many more opportunities due to his constant drinking (due to his headaches).

Tywin's poison was incredibly slow moving, you can say that Gregor's could've acted faster due to being in his blood but Gregor lasted days apparently so even in blood it moves slow.

The other question would be why would Oberyn even fight Gregor if he'd already poisoned him? Maybe to illicit the confession?

I just started doing a re-read of the combined Feast/Dance and just read in the first Dorne chapter when one of the Sand Snakes (I'll be honest, I don't remember which one) says they knew what poison Oberon used on his spear and that Gregor was as good as dead. They were trying to say Tywin was paying them with their own coin since he was already dead due to her father's poison. I'm also pretty positive they were different poisons because it was discussed many times in Cersei's chapters how the Mountain screamed in pain for days after the duel. Tywin obviously wasn't in pain like that...just constipated, which based on a description that Pycelle gives during Tyrion's trial, means it was likely Widow's Blood.

Pycelle posted:

Widow’s blood, this one is called, for the color. A cruel potion. It shuts down a man’s bladder and bowels, until he drowns in his own poisons.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Tyrion's outcast thing was starting to pick up I thought, until Jorah takes him. Then you meet Penny and it's like god what did I do to deserve this.

The problem with it to me was they tease you he's going to go be with Dany then he doesn't get there. But he's with these other people who are kind of interesting and have that stone bridge thing but then Jorah takes him. Ok they're going to Dany again. Then they meet Penny and that goes on way too long. If he had just gotten to Dany or stayed with his new buddies I wouldn't have minded it all so much.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Kawalimus posted:

Tyrion's outcast thing was starting to pick up I thought, until Jorah takes him. Then you meet Penny and it's like god what did I do to deserve this.

The problem with it to me was they tease you he's going to go be with Dany then he doesn't get there. But he's with these other people who are kind of interesting and have that stone bridge thing but then Jorah takes him. Ok they're going to Dany again. Then they meet Penny and that goes on way too long. If he had just gotten to Dany or stayed with his new buddies I wouldn't have minded it all so much.

The problem with the last two books, in my opinion, is that, while he introduces a lot of new characters and plots that do advance quickly, the old plots we were following eagerly are dragged and become boring. Dany and Tyrion are the worse offenders (or victims?) of this.

I does gave me the impression Grumm is not very sure on how to advance those plots so we have to suffer through "Dany stuck in Meeren" and "Tyrion endless boat trips" and etc while he tries to figure out what to do with then next and throws a whole bunch of new unnecessary plotlines that further complicates to try keeping the reader's interest.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Alchenar posted:

I've got a feeling that Lord Bronn and his small army of sellsword knights have one part left to play.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Elias_Maluco posted:

Agreed. I would love to know why (and how) he got north of the wall, for example.

When did that happen?

VVV EDIT: Ah, thanks. I figured it must have been a throwaway line from the show since the wiki didn't mention it.

timp fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 24, 2014

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

timp posted:

When did that happen?

Show only line during the drinking game in "Baelor".

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

timp posted:

When did that happen?

VVV EDIT: Ah, thanks. I figured it must have been a throwaway line from the show since the wiki didn't mention it.

Hum, yeah. I dont think it got mencioned in the books, maybe is just something they made up for the TV show.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

I've got a feeling that Lord Bronn and his small army of sellsword knights have one part left to play.

No he's not actually raising an army. He's just getting a few old sellsword buddies together to live the good life with him (because he knows them and socially they're the only people who are going to agree to be part of his household) and Cersai in her typical crazy paranoia style assumes he's raising an army in league with Tyrion.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Alchenar posted:

I dont see any path for him to get a happy ending, because anyone still vying for the Iron Throne will support anyone's claims to Lollys' castle because either they see him as a Lannister ally (e.g. Stannis, Aegon) or he betrayed them outright (Tyrion)

Elias_Maluco posted:

The problem with the last two books, in my opinion, is that, while he introduces a lot of new characters and plots that do advance quickly, the old plots we were following eagerly are dragged and become boring. Dany and Tyrion are the worse offenders (or victims?) of this.

I does gave me the impression Grumm is not very sure on how to advance those plots so we have to suffer through "Dany stuck in Meeren" and "Tyrion endless boat trips" and etc while he tries to figure out what to do with then next and throws a whole bunch of new unnecessary plotlines that further complicates to try keeping the reader's interest.

In my mind the problem is that GRRM is terrible at planning books (in contrast to the overall story). While book4/5 are mostly people going from A to B book 6 will start with 2 big battles. He should have split the books so that you got the Danny/Tyrion/Dorne stories including the battle in the one and North/Kings Landing stuff including Stannis battle in the other. That way people would not have had to spend about 10 years without anything major happen.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Alchenar posted:

No he's not actually raising an army. He's just getting a few old sellsword buddies together to live the good life with him (because he knows them and socially they're the only people who are going to agree to be part of his household) and Cersai in her typical crazy paranoia style assumes he's raising an army in league with Tyrion.
Yeah, his army was basically just 4 sell-swords he knighted. And Bronn ends up lord of Stokeworth, a town just north of Kingslanding which provided a quarter of the food the capital ate during the war of the 5 kings, only because Cersei gave Lady Falyse to Qyburn to be tortured and killed. Then Lolly inherited.
Edit: Also if the current Lord of Rosby dies, Lolly inherits Rosby too, giving Bronn the control of the two houses and the two towns who fed around half of Kingslanding population during the war. In her attempts to destroy him, Cersei was faaaaar more generous with Bronn than Tyrion ever was.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zocio
Nov 3, 2011
Gyles Rosby, is already dead, there is no current Lord of Rosby beacuse he left no heirs, only a ward and the inheritance is beeing dicussed on the next Small Council meeting which Kevan Lannister regretably won't be attending.

At this rate Bronn should be a important player in the near future.

• Locked thread