Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Lethemonster posted:

What with Komaeda's statement that there are two of them, and how didn't he notice before, are there any details to disprove that the person under the bag is actually another super high school level nurse twin?

Yeah, I'm thinking Komaeda's statement was meant to seem to the viewer as a joke about the first game, but actually refers to the fact that someone was trying to look like Ibuki at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuppaGodot
Sep 25, 2007
Destiny is bitter today

Zandar posted:

In any case, I'm also not sure why people seem to be assuming that there has to be recording capability for the suicide to be faked. Why couldn't the culprit just wait until someone answered their call to start the fake suicide? It's not like the hospital and music club are right next to each other, and it wouldn't take that long to hang a corpse up and tidy equipment away. There's some pretty strong indications that someone was still hidden at the club when Hinata got there, too, since they locked the door and (presumably) removed the fake pillar after he left. I don't see any necessity for pre-recording so far.

This is basically what I think. It may have something to do with the mirror as well, since obviously the supposed suicide victim would have to be sure that someone was watching before starting the whole ruse. Again, this comes down to the whole thing seeming to be so intricately put together. Assuming there was no other accomplice, they need to be sure that either the candle was timed to perfection to burn out when the performance was over, or somehow cause it to go out when they grabbed the noose. Hinata even thinks the light source must of fallen over or something.

Everything about this case seems to be rigged like a machine, which is why my suspicions have fallen on Souda so far, though there are definitely a few people who come out as suspicious.

I'm still convinced that tying Saionji up and covering the pillar with a fake was at least a two person job, too. And is she wrapped with some kind of bandaging to the pillar? Though a lot of this points to the murder having to do with the people in the hospital, it just seems to me a bit too obvious, and short of Saionji coming to the conclusion that she had Despair Fever and trying to check in when she was murdered, I can't think of any reason for her to have been killed at the hospital. Whether future evidence would see that out or not remains to be seen. Seems more likely the killer got her when she went for some food or to maybe bathe since her obi was on backwards. But that much is basically blind speculation and not much to build on.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Coolguye posted:

Ibuki's version of Despair Fever made her very pliable to orders. I'm guessing she was up and wandering around, clicked the video chat, and some jerkbag said "Kill someone, then kill yourself." And then she goes all 'SIR YES SIR' and that's the end of that.
The image of the culprit saying something like "Kill her then yourself" like the culprit was some goon is an amusing one.

I've got no one really pinned down and I probably won't until the trial starts in earnest. I wonder how Komaeda's going to feel once the trial starts, at least physically. Something's obviously not right with that kid.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

A Bystander posted:

I wonder how Komaeda's going to feel once the trial starts, at least physically. Something's obviously not right with that kid.
If he ends up being the mastermind it's going to be the longest double-bluff played in visual novel history and that will be glorious.

LukanFox
Jul 23, 2013

Zandar posted:

I mean, I know you're probably asking why Ibuki was killed at all if someone was planning to just kill Saionji, but that seems like evidence in the opposite direction to me. There's no apparent reason to kill two pretty much unrelated people, since the only real way that could draw attention away from the murderer is if they were set up to look like they'd killed each other.

Well, that is actually what I meant. I have a problem with the idea that Ibuki's murder was a spur-of-the-moment kill-the-witness murder for the following reasons: even if Ibuki got up and started wandering around again, even after saying that she would stay put this time, she probably wouldn't go so far as the music club; she might be a bit literal-minded at the moment but she does understand that she is being quarantined and the people at the motel aren't going to take to kindly to her showing up on their side of the island.

And even if she didn't realize that and decided she was up to taking a longer stroll for no apparent reason, if she saw Saionji getting killed, I don't think the killer would have been able to convince Ibuki to let herself get killed so easily.

And even if the killer managed to convince Ibuki that what she saw wasn't real, oh, and would you kindly put this bag on your head and step up this stepladder after I've gotten a noose ready, why bother hiding Saionji after that, but let Ibuki remain highly visible? Saionji's absence would have been made clear soon enough during the investigation into Ibuki's death, so there's no real gain from revealing them one at a time.

Zandar posted:

Both deaths were considered necessary by their killers, though, and both were elaborately concealed, so it's unlikely that both people were killed by the same person as part of their initial plan. Either two killers were involved (with one of them probably being Saionji or Ibuki), or the second murder was suddenly required to hide the first.

Given Ibuki's current mental state, I don't think she could plan, let alone execute, a murder. And if Saionji were planning a murder, she would have to realize that starting off by shutting herself off in a room for a day is a pretty bad start and makes for a horrible alibi. So I don't buy either the 'first murderer becomes second vic' or the 'kill off the witness' theories.
If they are two entirely separate murders though, it would be quite a stroke of (mis)fortune for neither of them to have impacted the other. So while it's not impossible, I don't think it likely.

LukanFox fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 25, 2014

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Bean posted:

I have a question about the game: do they have to prove the how or just the who?

Like, if they get to the trial room, Hinata's just like, "gently caress it, Sonia did it," and everyone agrees and Sonia confesses, does Monobear take that?

There are cameras pretty much everywhere on the island so Monobear knows who did it. I think he'd find some way to get some "fun" out of it regardless.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
One way or another, Komaeda's testimony and trying to decipher exactly what the hell he means through the web of lies he is being forced to spin is obviously going to be a major part of the trial. Because that just sounds fun.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The trial will be… interesting with the despair fever victims acting crazy.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Is anyone else having trouble viewing the last two videos? The polsy links don't work for me.. Frustrating because they're such a critical reveal!

e: Nvm I got them, had to fix the url a bit though.

VVVVV You can fix them by cutting off everything before the www and replacing %2F with /, %3f with ?, and %3d with =

Also, some thoughts about the current situation: Not going to speculate too much due to lack of information but

-Lots of questions about the camera feed, but it will really depend on whether its a recording or not - and how it might work, and if someone could tell who's on the other end without being seen.
-Something that points to it being a recording is the fact that the killer would (probably) have no indication when a call would be answered on the other side! I suppose they could berely be patient, but unless there was some sort of thing like filming from the hospital it seems like it would be a blind call. This also depends upon how long a call will last for, if it expires if not answered, etc.
-The door being locked easily breakable by 'two girls' + 2 others - don't know if this is intentional on the killers part aside from just making a locked-room situation.
-I have a feeling that Mikan was the one intended to see the camera feed. Given the hospital rules one would expect her to be the first one to see the blinking light, since the only reason Hinata saw it first was because of Mikan acting atypically. Assuming she's not playing a double-bluff here, I think she'd be an ideal frame target. Not only does she have access to both the Hospital and the Club, but she also has suffered a lot at the hands of Saionji - motive and opportunity. If she been in Hinata's place she would have looked extremely suspicious!
-If Mikan is suffering from despair fever, will that affect the quality of her medical analysis whe On we examine the bodies?

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 25, 2014

LukanFox
Jul 23, 2013

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

Is anyone else having trouble viewing the last two videos? The polsy links don't work for me.. Frustrating because they're such a critical reveal!

e: Nvm I got them, had to fix the url a bit though.

I can't get them working; what do you need to do with the URL?

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

-I have a feeling that Mikan was the one intended to see the camera feed. Given the hospital rules one would expect her to be the first one to see the blinking light, since the only reason Hinata saw it first was because of Mikan acting atypically. Assuming she's not playing a double-bluff here, I think she'd be an ideal frame target. Not only does she have access to both the Hospital and the Club, but she also has suffered a lot at the hands of Saionji - motive and opportunity. If she been in Hinata's place she would have looked extremely suspicious!

This is actually a really good point. Her going off to wake up Hinata might be the one thing that saves her from being successfully framed, if this is what the murderer is going for.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
So there's a LOT of already apparent parallels with DR1's case 3.
1. Two victims.
2. An apparent frame job on a hapless fool with a tendency towards panic.
3. An insanely intricate plot.
4. (possibly) one of the murder victims was accomplice to the killer.
5. An apparent death (probably) later discovered to not actually be the death.

xxxtaylorswiftxxx
Jul 23, 2013

Lord_Ventnor posted:

I think she was part of the Motel Group. So presumably, she's still hanging out there.

although you could be right, the key word here is 'presumably'. With this, here's my idea:
PLEASE NOTE THIS IS JUST MY IDEA RIGHT NOW and i'm not tying in all of the clues.

Ibuki was told to kill Saionji by Mikan, since Mikan obviously isn't a big fan of her. And with her 'despair fever' stuff going on, Ibuki took it seriously. Sonia saw Ibuki with Saionji (or her body) and pursued her. Ibuki, after dealing with Saionji, noticed Sonia and had to deal with her. I'm leaning towards either a wig or something with the lighting for the hair situation. Ibuki was then reported missing because she was hiding in the Music club. Then after Hinata left, she dealt with Saionji (or maybe the whole fake pillar thingy, w/e) and then locked the door and hid.
The video? She either: Did it herself when the thing picked up, and it was live. The lights went off because she wasn't actually dying. Or she recorded it ahead of time and was setting up Sonia after recording it.

I personally think Ibuki was the mastermind behind at least some of this, if not all of it. (After all, Ibuki should know the club the best.)
Also, I heard someone mention the possibility of a hidden door. I feel like if anyone knew about it, It would at least be Ibuki.

And obviously, some of this will probably be busted with the release of the next update.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

of bees posted:

This is actually a really good point. Her going off to wake up Hinata might be the one thing that saves her from being successfully framed, if this is what the murderer is going for.

I still don't really trust her because she's been pretty weird of late, randomly appearing in Hinata's bed like she has and choking him. She's also had the tendency to say weird stuff from time to time that hasn't made much sense. It might be possible for her to stage Hinata seeing the message and pretend she was the intended target. We also really haven't explored her despair fever and what it leads her to do as much of the others but I'm sure that will come up in the next part.

I just don't really know if this is a bluff or a double bluff on the part of the game. I have a feeling it will be someone else though, like maybe Souda or something.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

I still don't really trust her because she's been pretty weird of late, randomly appearing in Hinata's bed like she has and choking him. She's also had the tendency to say weird stuff from time to time that hasn't made much sense. It might be possible for her to stage Hinata seeing the message and pretend she was the intended target. We also really haven't explored her despair fever and what it leads her to do as much of the others but I'm sure that will come up in the next part.

I just don't really know if this is a bluff or a double bluff on the part of the game. I have a feeling it will be someone else though, like maybe Souda or something.

See, I'm not really getting where people are saying she has despair fever. Just because she's working in the hospital does not mean for sure that she will catch it, and it's really not a good idea to assume she's caught it unless the game outright states it.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

xxxtaylorswiftxxx posted:

:words: about Ibuki killing

How does Tsumiki even figure into that whole scheme? Does she just die along with the others if Ibuki gets away with it?

Here is a thing I've been wondering: If Ibuki gets told to hang herself (as some people suggest) would that not make Ibuki the killer of Ibuki? That was the case in the last game, why shouldn't it be the case this time around?

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

And More posted:

Here is a thing I've been wondering: If Ibuki gets told to hang herself (as some people suggest) would that not make Ibuki the killer of Ibuki? That was the case in the last game, why shouldn't it be the case this time around?
The key difference between Sakura's suicide and Ibuki's potential suicide is the state of mind of the person who died. Sakura was in full control of her mental faculties and killed herself in order to help take down the mastermind. Ibuki being told to hang herself is much less clear cut. Is she her own murderer? Is she just the tool of the person who told her? There's no way of really knowing right now.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

If Ibuki was ordered to kill herself, there's no way it wasn't by the same person that killed Saonji. Therefore whether Ibuki killing herself is on her or whoever told her to would be moot.

LukanFox
Jul 23, 2013
Look, Ibuki might have been in a gullible state, but have we seen any evidence of her blindly following orders? She was in easily manipulated state, and might have been tricked into taking an action that might indirectly kill someone, but even so, she wouldn't commit direct murder simply because she was told to without being given a semi-believable reason.
So really, can we ditch the 'Ibuki was ordered to kill Saionji or herself' theories yet and instead start thinking about how the killer manipulated her without making her realizing she's about to be killed?

Also, until I see evidence to the contrary, Saionji was the primary target and Ibuki was killed in order to direct suspicion away from the most likely suspect for Saionji's murder. That would probably be why Saionji's body was hidden. If Ibuki arrived at the club and saw Saionji's body there, I think she would have a few questions (which could have been easily answered in her gullible state, but I'm assuming that the killer didn't want to deal with that).

LukanFox fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 26, 2014

Valkama
Jan 6, 2013

RATS!
I have a couple of quick questions about the hospital rules. First if someone were to sneak into the hospital and do something then leave would monobear still allow it since they aren't technically staying overnight? If that doesn't work then if Mikan leaves to go wake up Hinata and Kuzuryuu would the hospital be open for someone to sneak in?

Galm
Oct 31, 2009
GODDAMNIT.

Whatever you do, do not try to google "Dangan Ronpa 2".

Even the goddamn previous searches are a goddamn spoiler. :argh:

This chapter is totally ruined for me so I'll have to wait for the next one.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Galm posted:

GODDAMNIT.

Why doesn't anyone ever loving learn?

Galm
Oct 31, 2009
I was trying to find an OST. Why is it times like this when my comp can keep up with me? :(

Ah well, that's the price of my crime I guess.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Patware posted:

It's been a while, though. I'd say like at least 3 months since the last one.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Stroth posted:

Depends on if Monobear feels like being an rear end in a top hat or not. So probably not, no.

They had to prove 'how' in at least the last stretch of the first game. I guess it depends on if they're accusing the right person or not.

He sort of loses if someone actually wins, after all.

Patware posted:

There was a guy in, I believe, the last thread who offhandidly specified he got spoiled via a hentai image board or something, so at least we're making progress!

AlgoRhythmic posted:

If this chapter was the only one ruined for you after doing that I would actually say you're very lucky.

For what it's worth, I think the games are like 999/VLR in that they get better on a second playthrough when you can see how things fit together so it's not all bad.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 26, 2014

AlgoRhythmic
Mar 9, 2013

Galm posted:

GODDAMNIT.

If this chapter was the only one ruined for you after doing that I would actually say you're very lucky.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

I almost got spoiled once, saw something that revealed Peko was the second trial's murderer, I think maybe a day or two after the update where she was executed? Something like that. Trying to see what kind of official merchandise is available to buy.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

AlgoRhythmic posted:

Haha no poo poo.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Right as the second trial started I saw the picture of Peko standing over Koizumi on tumblr because the post blocking extension takes a couple seconds to kick in. That's the only spoiler I've seen so far.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Galm posted:

GODDAMNIT.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Should have had the suggestion box have fake spoilers (since I think that was the point) but yeah keep doing what you're doing. :allears:

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

Discussion on a few differences between the Tumblr Dangan Ronpa fandom and the Something Awful DR fandom below, you have bene warned.

You know I feel like one of the main differences between the Tumblr DR fandom and the Something Awful DR fandom

is that they have an enforceable spoiler policy with actual penalties for spoiling

and are relying SOLELY on Orenonen’s Let’s Plays

Whereas we have NO spoiler policy besides tagging spoilers so people can TumblrSavior them, and even then, it can’t be ENFORCED that well due to how 1. Not everyone HAS TumblrSavior and 2. Even IF we somehow made everyone use TumblrSavior there’s no way to really get people to actually TAG their spoilers besides sending them asks asking them to tag their spoilers, or angrily yelling about it in the tag

and we ALSO have access to OTHER Let’s Plays of Dangan Ronpa and Super Dangan Ronpa 2 - ESPECIALLY SDR2.

As a result, a massive portion of the fanbase here has either FINISHED the game via either actually playing the first one and Let’s Play hopping, or just plain Let’s Play hopping (DR1 Let’s Play -> Orenonen’s SDR2 Let’s Play -> Kuzuhiko’s SDR2 Let’s Play ->Birdmanronpa’s SDR2 Video Let’s Play translations).

Whereas as far as I know of the SA fandom doesn’t do that. Some might, not sure. But more likely not.

This has lead to a rather….. interesting difference between the two it seems.

Like, here people have either already been spoiled heavily for either game (like me hahahaha), or have avoided all spoilers somehow. Or maybe just marathoned the series in one go. Whatever the case, they usually don’t have the time to bounce theories off one another, and typically when time comes for shocks in the games, people are genuinely shocked.

Meanwhile, the SA fandom has a spoiler policy that IS enforced…. but that doesn’t prevent speculation. And given the long lengths of time between when the updates occur, there is PLENTY of time for speculation. As a result, the SA fandom has spent so much time bouncing theories off each other that they’d predicted pretty much every twist in DR1, and the various twists in Chapter 1 of SDR2, plus the identity of the culprit in Chapter 2.

Basically, we’ve been dealt the twists as they were intended for the most part, since we’re going through it in one go for the most part, while the SA fandom has enough time between updates to predict everything, so what’s shocking for us is just “I knew it!” for them.

And then there’s how, again, a massive portion of the fandom on Tumblr has been spoiled for both games.

Meaning we know of the suffering and despair that occurs.

This, combined with the fact that our way of experiencing the series more or less throws the shocks in our faces (as intended), has pretty much driven us to insanity.

The sheer stupidity the fandom exudes is probably our way of coping with the heartbreak we’ve been dealt.

Since SA more or less bounces everything off with each other, more or less predicting things, they don’t get it as bad.

Not to mention how the Tumblr social environment and Something Awful social environment are so radically different. Tumblr is literally just “DO WHATEVER”, SA is REALLY strict, but still is often mockery of stupidity among other things.

Which means the SA half hates us, while we just don’t care.

Overall it’s amazing how a fandom can develop if you split it in half and throw it into two radically different parts of the internet.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
But who's the worse of the two???

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Thanks for your deep critique of fandoms and how they are dumb.

You always outdo yourself with these :allears:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Please source your quotes.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

So is this a quote from somewhere or what because I can't read or process any of it.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

The difference between SA fans and Tumblr fans is that most SA fans follow it because they like amateur sleuthing (hence, guessing every single twist, thousand-monkeys-with-typewriter style). Most Tumblr fans follow it because they find one or more characters attractive.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Actually I think the main difference is that most of the SA fandom is older than 12.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Spiritus Nox posted:

Actually I think the main difference is that most of the SA fandom is older than 12.
It's also not concerned with shipping and headcanons and fanfiction. Which is mostly a result of it not being composed of teenagers, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Captain Pissweak posted:

Thanks for your deep critique of fandoms and how they are dumb.

It's very obviously a quote harvested from somewhere.

• Locked thread